The Curse

The Vampire's Romance

 

 ❝Sometimes I wonder if love is worth fighting for, but then I remember your face and I'm ready for war 

 


O h   S e   H u n ' s   T a l k 

 

I SAT DOWN ON THE OPPOSING SOFA, Crossing my legs over the table comfortably.

On the other side of the table, in an antique chair, sat my father–a tall, lean and serious man.

At a quick look, you would have thought that this old man might have been a foreign millionaire. And yes, you're right, he's no Korean. Well, my mom was. So that made me a half korean, eh? But no, everyone told me to keep shut, convincing that I'm a full Italian. Nothing more, Nothing less. But how could I? When I didn't even look the least bit of an Italian?

Anyway. He was dressed in his usual formal suit, his dark silky hair (I've dared to touch it once. Long story.) perfectly combed giving a full view of his high cheekbones. His sharp red eyes can pierce perfectly through your heart if you stared in it for too long–an abnormal ability even for a vampire, let alone this old and powerful.

He put his palms together over his long sharp beard, as he switched his eyes to a normal brown. Did I tell you that vampires are only allowed to switch into this red-eyes-mode when one's hunting or fighting with another creature? Because an eyes of a vampire can see through things, giving them informations they shouldn't know from the opposite ones. Even in a family, we still followed this rule, and no one has even broken it–yet.

"Abeoji, I have something to ask–"

"No. Actually, you should hear this first." He heaved a deep–mournful–sigh, which sent a chill down my spines.

"..."

"She's dead." He said, in his stern tone. The phrase turned into a bloodsucker–draining every tiny drops of blood out of my body, leaving my body burning in anger and confusion. 

I'm confused. My feelings are all over each other. Sad? Puzzled? Guilt? Regret? But something within me tells me that there's so much more to the story, so I kept silent.

"Look, I'm sorry, son. I didn't find out any sooner before you did. It was only until your nanny called and said that she's missing from the mansion. I sent my people to search for her,... Only to find her dead in a ware house on the outskirt of town." He said, while gritting his teeth.

Dead? This must be a joke? A Vampire? Dead? The last time I checked, mo–she was absolutely not a duke, or one of the 3 great souls. She wouldn't be an avenger either, because they don't die.

And that was when it hit me. No. That must not be it. Dad wouldn't have lied to me. No, they have already been extinct for good.

Please. Anything but that.

"I know what you're thinking. And I have a confession to make."

It's over. Everything's over. 

 

 

I BIT MY LIPS, holding back the anger, the hatred, and the confusion.

"She's...a witch." No matter how hard he was trying to hard, I could still make out the disgusts in his voice when mentioning 'witch'. But, why have he lied? Let alone, to me? And why is he still alive? In fact, why are all of us still alive, standing tall and proud of being the most oldest clan among all of the vampires?

"This must be kept a secret, son. I'm not afraid of being executed, but rather, this is–"

"Does this have something to do with the journal?" I asked, guessing.

"Indeed. And I supposed you must have read the journal–after taking you a whole 7 years?"

"Yes."

"So, you must have wanted to ask about the missing page, correct?"

"Yes."  

"Then, this is time." He said, as if it's a good thing, but his non-stop creasing eye brows tell a different story. I remained calm and faced him.

"For what?"

"For...the truth."

 

 

THE TRUTH? , Had I been living in nothing but a mere lie for 19 years?

This is ridiculous.

"You see, your great-grand father have given me this journal in his deathbed. He told me not to open until he finally leaves. He has never mentioned about the missing page. But, what he did mention was for the right one to read. And that that right one will have to make a choice, that will result in a complete ruins of our kinds or the safety for the time-being. I've always wanted to read and see what's in there...but–"

"But, you can't. Because you're not the 'right one'." I guessed. He smiled and nodded, adjusting his tie the way he only does when he's nervous.

"And now that I've realized you were the 'right' one after all, I shall tell you everything." He gave me a faint smile and leaned his back to his chair.

"Your mother was not a witch, son. She was cursed to be a witch."

"So, you're saying that there is a c–"

"You just needed to stay still and listen. This is an important matter." He got a little bit annoyed. Che. Like I cared.

"The curse has lasted for generations. Do you remember how I told you that the first vampire whose wife was a witch and that she had an affair with a werewolf? Listen carefully to the next part. Because it will be confusing. Rumors had been going around for a while that the werewolf had also had an affair with a female vampire."

"..."

"So, before the witch was beheaded, she used her last power, her last will and her last spell to curse that female vampire to forever live in fear–of being a witch. No one knew who that female vampire was, or to be exact, they never dared to find out. After many years, the rumors have been going around again saying that she has married another vampire. And by the rumors going around, I meant 'in the council of the elders', son. We were–no, we are–aware of this situation. Because if that female is going to have children, the curse will eventually be passed down for generations." He paused for a long time, leaving my brain to finally work things out.

"So, you're saying...that she was one of the children? But it's impossible! She's Korean." I argued, but truthfully, I was trying to convince myself that this is nothing but another lie. But it still doesn't make sense. They're just like mortals, how could Italians give birth to a Korean?

"Yes, she's a Korean. But she was also one of the favorite descendants."

"They hid her? Changed her identity? Or even possible...erased her memories?" I took another big fat guess.

"You're correct. Your mom was being brainwashed at the age of 12. Why? Because back then at that time, the council of the elders including your great grand father was taking actions to capture all of those children, they were going to execute them, son. But only your mom survives–or used to." His voice suddenly became weaker, his face pale, and sweats streamed down his face. But he managed to continue. 

"It was my fault. If it wasn't out of my boredom, if I hadn't chose Korea out of many places on Earth, if I hadn't...Only if I hadn't, she wouldn't have regained her memories. Your mom..." He began to smile, maybe at their past memories, "Your mom was cheerful and beautiful, in and out.  I remembered when I proposed to her, when she began suspecting me to be a vampire and when she gave birth to you. She was perfectly well, but when I took her to visit your great-grand father's grave, she regained her memories back. She started living in fear, she began talking to nothing but dusts, she began thinking that everyone was from the Council of the Elders. That was when I knew that she was a witch, but you were only 5 then, I couldn't possibly tell you the truth. It was all my fault, Se hun. It was all my faults."

"Dad..." So, of all this time, I always thought that she hated me for being born and I hated her more than anything. I am much more worse. 

"But that...Wouldn't I be then...a 'wizard'?" I asked, out of curiosity and misery.

"No, you're not. Actually, even I don't know what you are, son. Because the truth is that that female vampire has never had a male child. Because only female has the power of the witch. But seeing you like this, you're a hundred percent vampire. I've been reading and searching days and nights for the reason, but–nothing. Absolutely none. Seems like, we just need to go with the flow."

"But...Mom  is dead. Did you suspect that the council might have killed her?"

"I don't think so. Before the marriage, I've lied to them that she was a vampire. I turned her into a vampire with my venoms, son. Since back then, I have mistook that she was just a mortal. And it would probably be dangerous for her that she, a mortal, married the future successor of one of the major council elders. But, I did suspect someone else."

"Someone else?"  

"Even though, I'm not the 'right' one, but your great grand father had told me about some text in the book. If you've read the journal, then you must have came to the last part when our ances–!!!!!!" All of a sudden, he stopped. Clutching his chest, he passed out.

"Abeoji?! ABEOJI!!!!" I ran to his side, shaking his unconscious body. What was happening? He was perfectly fine a minute ago. Was it that person's doing? The one Abeoji suspected?

I reached out for my phone and dialed Old Man Park's number,

[Neh, Young Master?]

"CALL FOR MR.DEAN,RIGHT NOW! Abeoji has been attacked!!!"

 


L e e   J i   E u n ' s   T a l k 

 

Whoosh, it took me ages to finally escape from the fashion nightmares [Long Story.]

I had always wanted to come to Italy, not for the clothing things obviously, but for its beauty. And yes, I did study quite enough Italians for communications and reading their myths.

So, I guessed that I ended up finding my way into a library after all. It was rather small, not that I'd expect it to be big, but it was Rome after all. The library was beside a river bank, it was unexpectedly small and quiet–and seriously in need of reconstruction. It seemed to me like it was a ware house rather than a public library. But it didn't matter, as long as I get away form the piles of clothes, I think I'd be okay. But...I was wrong.

I walked into the library, feeling relieved again when I saw quite a large amount of people looking for books and some on the computers. I quietly walked upstairs and went into rows and rows of bookshelves, pulling out numerous myth books and tiptoed to a spare table by the window.

I read about gods and stuffs, when I came to a weird book. It was quite ancient-looking, a wooden covered book, rather heavy. I peeked into the book here and there, until I stopped at a certain page.

The title read 'Sinister Creatures'; it sent chills running own my spine, but I chose to continue.

 

Humans who feed on humans,

a blood thirsty creatures,

A Vam–

 

I felt sleepy out of a sudden. I tried to keep myself conscious, slapping my cheeks, pinching my arms, if it'd help at all. My eye lids began feeling heavy, and I eventually dozed out, but I still had a bit of conscious left to feel a strange cold air flowing around my cheek, down to my jawline and stopped at my neck.

"W–Who are y–"  

But I wasn't able to finish my words.

If only I had stayed up another minute–or even seconds–I'd have seen it–my life obstacles.

"Nice to meet you, Ji Eun...ssi?"

-----

I guessed I'm quite rushing things a little bit on Ji Eun's part,

though it's rather long, eh?

Hope you're not bothered by this, and enjoy!

Anyway, I've had a nice day. So I decided to update another chapter. ^ ^

Don't forget to comment and subscribe~ <3

Kamsahamnida! Ahnyeong~