Star-Crossed Lovers

Nostalgia

 

 

Kamsahamnida! Najungebwaeyo!” Si Woo bowed as he greeted his customers in their coffee shop. The ahjumma and the ahjusshi smiled as they returned his greeting, talking among themselves that this had been the best coffee shop they had visited.

 

The lad went back to the counter, looking at his notes and in deep thought. He needed to ask his father to hire additional manpower as it had been very hectic lately. Of course, good customer service always lead to lip service, which would lead to fan service, and to lots of money. With that scenario, the coffee shop itself needs to be relocated. For the time being, another person would be enough.

 

He was still in deep thought he didn't hear someone calling his attention.

 

Anyeong hasaeyo, I would like a cup of cappuccino topped with whipped cream and strawberry please?”

 

And still no response.

 

YAH!”

 

Si Woo was startled he thought he might have a heart attack.

 

Jae Hee-ah, you gave me a fright!”

 

I'll tell Sungmo that you're not doing good customer service! Hmph!”

 

Si Woo let out a chuckle. He went out of the counter, went over to Jae Hee and placed an arm around her.

 

Eh? You are being so childish, you know? Calm down now...(Whispers to her ear) Sarameul, you ordered your usual favorite, right?”

 

Hearing that forbidden word (sarameul = lover) gave excitement to Jae Hee. Si Woo had never said that in public, even when it's just a whisper. But the feeling of being caught got her both excited and scared at the same time. She glanced around her, making sure that nobody saw them. Jae Hee nodded happily and then, taking Si Woo's arm off from her, sat herself in the table near the door.

 

She was suddenly in deep thought. Even now that she and Si Woo were a couple, it was too hard doing it secretly. And if they have to tell the truth, their families might disown them. And why? Si Woo had told her once that, according to family legend, the same thing happened to their maternal great-grandmother's sister, who married her second cousin. Both of them got disowned. The family fortune wasn't passed to them, to their children, and to the next generation. However, they fought hard for their love. They were able to raise their children on their own. And according to Si Woo, their descendants migrated and went to live in the United States: in New Jersey or probably New York.

 

Si Woo approached the table with Jae Hee's orders. Upon seeing her suddenly in deep thought, he sat across her. He didn't hold her hand, but just sat their in silence.

 

Si Woo-ah, can you give me a call tonight? I need to tell you something.” There was morbidity in her tone of speech Si Woo feared something might happen between them. Then Jae Hee ate the strawberry on the cappuccino, got some won bills frpm her purse and placed it on the table and left the cafe.