W is for Waltz

Nostalgia

 

 

Waltz is a ballroom dance in 3/4 time with strong accent on the first beat and a basic pattern of step-step-close. It came from the old German word “walzen” meaning to roll, turn, or to glide. It is a dance born in the suburbs of Vienna and in the alpine region of Austria. As early as the seventeenth century, waltzes were played in the ballrooms of the Hapsburg court. The weller, or turning dances, were danced by peasants in Austria and Bavaria even before that time. Many of the familiar waltz tunes can be traced back to simple peasant yodeling melodies.

Read more: Waltz History http://www.centralhome.com/ballroomcountry/waltz.htm#ixzz1qlCnkQKf 
Dance Fitness Sports 
www.Centralhome.com

 

Okay, for our dancing lessons, we shall be doing waltz. Do you have any idea what this is?” asked the dance teacher. When nobody answered, she looked up her class record and, closing her eyes, as if she were a shaman, randomly pointed to a person on the list.

 

Jin Yoo Jin.”

 

Everybody looked at the person on the back of the room near the walls. Yoo Jin was standing on one foot, his other one resting underneath it, his tall and lean frame resting on the room corner. His hands were in his pockets. And his eyes were looking at something outside. He seemed to be in deep thought and he wasn't interested in dancing class anyway. All he cared for about was rock music. When his attention was called once more, he just gave the teacher a blank stare.

 

Well, I'd take that for an answer. It means you do not know what waltz is. And based on your performance, I can say you don't even give a damn about dance classes. So what's the point of coming in here?”

 

Yoo Jin scoffed, rolled his eyes and looked outside once more. Ji Kyung, who was beside him, jabbed him at his elbows.

 

Yah! What was that for?” he asked in an angry whisper.

 

Yoo Jin-ah, we're in class, please show some respect!” she reprimanded him.

 

Yoo Jin's ears suddenly ticked. It's as if electricity had struck him from somewhere. Ji Kyung had definitely got some guts now to reprimand him. It was a shocker given that the girl never made any strong comments against him at all, ever.

 

Yah, you've got guts now, eh? Hmmm, please give me a reason why I should listen to you,” he whispered in her ear. Suddenly, Ji Kyung froze. Yoo jin had never whispered to her before. The mere feeling of his voice crawling to her skin gave her goosebumps. And her heart started to pound so hard she thought she could hear it. She looked up to him, her eyes showed fear in them. They had been staring for a good five seconds when they heard their names called.

 

Neh?” they simultaneously replied, to the amusement of the other classmates. Saem Hyun Ji Soo rolled her eyeballs and tapped her class record with her pen.

 

See? That's what you get for not listening. I'll repeat it. Listen well and listen good. You two are going to be partners for our lesson on waltz.”

 

Ji Kyung's eyes widened in disbelief. She suddenly felt nauseous and was dry. She felt her body trembling. Of all people in the room, Jin Yoo Jin would become her dancing partner. And why would she feel that way? Well, if she spilled her secret, she'd be dead. She couldn't afford to even maintain eye contact with her crush. How much more if it's physical contact?

 

Saem Hyun then told everybody that they must do good on this dance exercise, as they will be performing it on the school's Gala Valentines Day Program. The winning couple would receive a dinner date at a posh hotel in town. They would also be exempted to go to that grueling camp training trainees must undergo before they debut. Upon hearing these announcements, the students all let out shouts of joy. Only Ji Kyung didn't receive the news happily. Her chest hurt, she felt she'd explode. And clutching her jacket, she went to get her bottle of water and downed it like a drunkard.

 

***

 

She placed her hand on his left shoulder, her right hand on his left hand. Her hands felt cold, he noticed. And she wasn't even maintaining eye contact. To surprise her, Yoo Jin, his right hand on Ji Kyung's waist, suddenly pulled her closer towards him. She looked up him straight in the eye, confused and unsure of what to do. With their faces a few inches away, she could feel her heart beating fast again.

 

Gwenchanah?”

 

Mo..Molla...” she said, shaking her head. She was in a daze and unsure of how to answer him.

 

And Saem Hyun played the music. The class then did the waltz as to how it was taught to them. Jae Hee's partner, Jong Hun, kept giggling and talking to his partner. He told her to observe her cousin, who was just beside them. Jae Hee then looked at Ji Kyung and Yoo Jin. As Ji Kyung's eye fixed with her's Jae Hee gave her a teasing look and a wide grin. It made Ji Kyung pale like she was drained with blood. She had never been so embarrassed all her life. If ever she gave away, her secret might be revealed. She didn't want that, and she didn't want to lose Yoo Jin either.

 

***

I have a VERY important announcement.”

 

Suddenly, all ears were on Yoo Jin. Hearing what he have to say was like listening the School Director. Of course, the people guessed this time what he'd have to reveal.

 

After that dance contest we will be having, I will finally announce to you the girl who stole my heart.”