Chapter 1 The Bet

Without You

Chapter 1 The Bet

(A/N: All of the characters are in the same age except for Jessica & some of her classmates mentioned on the chapter. This is the 1st chapter. Hope you enjoy reading this.)

Jessica is known as the “Ice princess”. She doesn’t have friends because she’s cold to everyone. Even though she’s like that, she is the smartest in their school. No one can beat her in being the top student & everyone are saying she’s like that because she wants to show everyone she’s smart & she didn’t want friends that are not smart like her. That’s everyone thinks since no one knew the truth.

Since she doesn’t have any friends, she was eating alone & her fellow schoolmates are looking at her. She’s been used to it so she just pretends that she didn’t notice them. One time, when she looked at them, they started gossiping about her; even though she’s not near to them, she knew they are talking about her from the way they look at her. And she didn’t want it to happen again so she continued eating her food.

Meanwhile at another table, far from the table where Jessica is staying, Heechul & his friends were chatting & eating together.

“I pity her. Everyone is judging her when they don’t know who she is.” Heechul said.

“Who are you talking about?” Lee Teuk, one of Heechul’s friends asked.

“Jessica Jung, the smartest girl in school.” Yesung answered.

“Then, can you be her friend?” Shindong challenged Heechul.

“What if I can be friends with her?” Heechul replied.

“Let’s have a bet. Make her fall in love with you.” Kyuhyun smirk after saying that.

“Then what can I get when I win?” Heechul confidently answered.

“We’ll do your homework but if you fail, you will be the one who will do all of our home works.” Eunhyuk dared him.

Heechul was loss at words when he heard the condition.

“You can’t do it right? Where’s the confident Heechul?” Kyuhyun mockingly replied.

“Ok. Deal. How many months?” Heechul asked.

“3 months.” Kyuhyun answered.

“Is it too short, Kyuhyun?” Ryeowook asked.

“Ok. 4 months. Take it or leave it?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Ok. Be ready all of you because you’ll make my home works after 4 months.” Heechul confidently said.

“Let’s see but if you lose, be ready with our home works. Remember, you’ll be doing the home works of 9 people.” Kyuhyun said in a matter-of-factly tone.

After their conversation, the bell rang & they returned in their room.

Heechul can’t concentrate in his class since he can’t think of a way on how to approach her first without seeing her cold eyes.

Heechul’s POV:

Don’t give up! Your homework is at stake! Think, think of a way!!! Why did I agree to it? This is very hard. Wait, I think I know now what to do.

End of Heechul’s POV

Heechul smiled & decided to carry out his plan after class. Heechul immediately left their class room & went to the library. Everyone knew that Jessica like staying at the library after class so Heechul think it is the first way to approach her & to carry out the bet. When he arrived there, he immediately look around & look for her. When he already spotted her, he first smiled before sitting across her.

“Hi I’m Kim Heechul. Nice meeting you Jessica-shi” Heechul greeted her & even offers his hand for a handshake.

He was surprised when Jessica looked at her since he was expecting she will greet him back but it was the opposite; Jessica just looked at him for a second then go back on reading the book she’s reading.

“Jessica-shi, why are you so cold to me? I can be your friend.” Heechul said. Jessica put the book on her bag & stand up to leave the library & left Heechul dumbfounded.

Heechul’s POV:

Heechul, patience. Don’t get mad at her. You’re just starting.

End of Heechul’s POV

After that day, Heechul continued approaching her like during their break, at the library, at the school gate to greet her & to bid goodbye to her but what Heechul always get from her is the cold look she’s giving & always getting ignored by her. He was with his friends eating one day when they talked about the bet.

“Heechul hyung, it’s already been a week & looks like you’re being ignored by her. Looks like we’ll win.” Kyuhyun teased Heechul.

“I still have 3 months & 3 weeks. You don’t know what I’m capable with. I’ll make sure I’ll win this bet.” Heechul answered.

“Let’s see about that.” Kyuhyun said.

“Wait, look Heechul someone is hurting her.” Lee Teuk pointed at Jessica. They all looked and saw a girl splashing the water she’s holding to Jessica. Heechul see this as a perfect timing to gain her trust so he immediately approach her & hold the girl’s wrist.

“Why did you do that? What did she do to you?” Heechul asked the girl.

“She beats my score on our test earlier. She’s getting on my nerves. Ever since she came here, she always beats me. I’m the smartest here before she came.” The girl explained.

“So that’s the only reason? You’re being unreasonable. She’s just smart so it wasn’t her fault. It was your fault that you didn’t study hard that’s why she beats you.” Heechul reasoned out.

Jessica was hurt about what happen so she stands up after getting her things. Heechul followed her after glaring at the girl. Jessica went to the school garden & sits on one of the bench there to cry. It was the first time someone do that to her. It was not her fault she beats her. What should she do? Intentionally make a wrong answer so that she’ll not beat her classmate? She can’t take it anymore; she’s been bearing all the pain she’s feeling ever since she went here. The way all of her schoolmates stare at her, gossip about her, the way they treat her & the way they judge her.  She now wants to go back on her old school. There she can be with her true friends & all of her schoolmates are treating her good not like in this school where everyone judge her without knowing her first.

She started to become cold during her 1st day in this school, the way the students stare at her make her feel she’s unwelcome to this school. Ever since that day, they treated her that way. It really hurts her that she feel no one likes her.

She continued crying silently when a handkerchief appears on her face. She looked up & saw Heechul who’s offering that handkerchief. She immediately wiped her tears & stand up. She doesn’t want him to see her crying because she thought that maybe he is just one of them; he will also judge her or will make fun of her. But Heechul grabs her wrist to stop her from leaving him.

“Why are you like that? I’m just being nice here & just wanted to help you. Why are you avoiding me? Are you letting them treat you that way?” Heechul asked her. Jessica’s tears continued to fall when she heard what Heechul has said.

“Why do you care if I’m being treated like this? Are you my friend or my family? It’s not your life. It’s my life so stop helping me because I don’t need it.” Jessica break away from his hold and went on her next class. She wiped her tears first before entering her room.

Heechul is starting to get confuse with himself because a part of him wanted to win the bet but also a part of him wanted to know more about Jessica. He can feel that Jessica is hiding it from him that’s why she’s distancing herself from all of them.

After class, he decided to follow Jessica on her way home. Heechul hides on a alley when Jessica suddenly  turn around because she’s feeling someone is following her but her thoughts of it was interrupted when her phone rings. She first sighed before answering the call.

“Hi Mom. Why do you call? Don’t get worried. I’m happy here. I even gain some friends but I really miss my friends there. Yes. They are treating me well.” Jessica answered to her Mom. Heechul is hiding near to Jessica so he heard what Jessica said. He pities her more because he knew Jessica is lying to her parents so that they will not get worried to her.

“Yes Mom. Yes also take care of yourself there. Don’t skip meals. Bye! ” Jessica said when the call ended.

“Why are you lying to your parents?” Jessica was surprised to hear someone butting on her life. What surprise her more is it was Heechul who said that to her. Heechul just came out on the alley where he is hiding & looked at Jessica.

“Why do you care?” Jessica asked coldly and started walking to go on the house she’s staying.

“Jessica wait. I can be your friend. I’m not like those schoolmates of us who are judging you. I know you need someone now. I can let you borrow my shoulder if you want to. I just really wanted to be your friend. Why are you distancing yourself from me? Can you stop ignoring me & open up to me?” Jessica stop after hearing what Heechul said to her & looked at his eyes. She saw the sincerity on him so she sits on a bench near to her.

Heechul sits beside her and said “Thank you for giving me a chance to know you.”

“Why are you so persistent? You know my life is not interesting.” Jessica asked.

“I know you’re a good person. It just that you were just judged by them without knowing you well.” Heechul asked.

Jessica’s POV:

When he told me that, he smiled at me after & with that smile, he makes me comfortable with him. I told him about myself. I can’t take it anymore; I’ve been bearing all the pain I’m feeling ever since I went here. It’s not bad to have someone to talk to & I even told him that I wanted to go back on my old school. There I can be with my true friends & all of my schoolmates are treating me good not like in this school where everyone judge me without knowing me first.

I always told him that I started to become cold during my 1st day in this school, the way the students stare at me make me feel I’m unwelcome to this school. Ever since that day, they treated me that way.

Without me realizing, I was already in tears since it really hurts to remember it. He patted my back, hug me & said “You have me. I can be your friend that is always there when you need me.” He broke the hug & even smiled at me to show his sincerity.

His smile faded when he suddenly asked me.

“Why are you staying here when your parents are staying in the countryside?”

“My parents wanted me to have a good education so they decided to make me move here. I really think that I should just have stayed there & not agreed to them. That way, I’ll not be lonely & I’m with my loved ones.” I answered him.

“Don’t worry. Even though they’re treating you that way, only having me amounts to all of them. Trust me. Only me is enough but if you want, I can introduce you to my friends & you can be friends with them. They’re good so don’t worry.” He answered & wiped my tears.

“Thank you very much. Having someone to talk to with your troubles really helps you in forgetting it.” I answered & smiled at him. I was really happy to meet him since he’s really a good person.

“Looks like all of them are wrong. Our so-called “ice princess” is really talkative.” He teased me so I hit him lightly.

End of Jessica’s POV

Heechul’s POV:

Staring from that day on, I’ve been really close to her. She always tells me her troubles & I’ll comfort her. She’s really kind that she even teach me whenever I’m having troubles with my homeworks. I’m really lucky that I get to know her. If not, maybe she already leave & I don’t get a chance to know the true her.

During our break time, I always sit with her & eat with her. We chat about our subjects before the break time or how we’ve been. I really feel comfortable with her that it felt like I gain a friend.

One day, I send her home when I saw my friends waiting outside our house. I smiled at them & greeted them. I also let them in our house.

“So what brings all of you here?” I asked them.

“So it looks like you’re already friends with her. Tell us. Is she already falling for you? You know it’s been 1 month.” Kyuhyun asked me. I don’t know but it looks like he really wanted me to lose the bet.

“I don’t think so. Maybe as a friend, yes.” I answered him.

“Why don’t you introduce her to us? You’re always sitting with her during break. That way you can sit with us with her.” Shindong told me.

“Ok. I’ll try to convince her. Maybe she still has doubt about how other people see her. I’ve already told her you’re all good but you can’t blame her since she’s been treated badly by our schoolmates. Is that all?”  I asked them.

“Actually, Heechul, we’re having troubles with our homework in Math. We’d like to ask her if she can help us. Heechul, can you call her & asked if she can go here to help us? Wait, do you know how to solve it?” Ryeowook asked me this time. I just shook my head since I was really having a hard time earlier while listening to our teacher on how to solve it.

“So can you call her & ask her if she can help us?” Yesung asked this time.

“What if she’s busy? We can just solve it by ourselves.” I answered.

“Heechul, you can’t fool us. I saw your expression earlier & I can tell you’re having a hard time in understanding what our teacher taught us earlier. I know you’ll not be able to solve it.” Kyuhyun answered. It’s really hard to fool him. I guess I’m left with no choice so I dialled her number.

I talked to her & I’m thankful she agreed. After some minutes, she arrived. When she arrived, all of us gather in the living room.

“So which part are all of you having a difficult time to solve?” She asked us.

Actually, it was embarrassing but we answered all. She lightly smiled at us.

“Ok. I hope all of you listens well & if ever you have questions, ask me ok?” She asked & we all nodded. Actually, it was embarrassing to ask questions or to ask her to teach us because she’s younger than us. Maybe you’re all wondering why we have same subjects? It’s because when she transferred here, she took the test & her result was expected to the students who are on 4th year level. She’s supposed to be only a 3rd year student but she was really smart so she was accelerated to 4th year.

After that, she started teaching it & not like our teacher, she explains it in simpler way so that we can understand it well. She even gives us some examples & some exercises so that she’ll know if ever we already know how to solve those kinds of problems. It was funny but we all eagerly raise our hand to answer the exercises she gave us. She laughs at us & who’ll not? If ever you’re in her case, you’ll think you’re teaching elementary students.

After that, she told us to answer our homework. Luckily, we’re able to answer it correctly. She was really patient with us that she always make sure everyone of us understood what she taught us & all of us can solve the problems.

Starting from that day on, she became friends with my friends. And I feel embarrassed because my friends often bother her to teach them in their homework’s when they can’t understand it. One day, I was sending her home when I open up about it.

“Jessica, sorry if my friends kept on bothering you to teach them.” I told her.

“It’s okay oppa. Ice cream is enough for me.” She told me.

I nodded & we went on a nearby ice cream shop.

“What do you like?” I asked her.

“I like cookies & cream.” She answered.

“Ahjussi, 2 cookies & cream.” I told the ahjussi that is selling the ice cream & paid him after he gives us our ice cream. I handed Jessica her ice cream & we continued on our way.

Without us noticing, we already arrived at her place.

“Thank you for the ice cream & see you tomorrow!” She said & waved at me. I waved back & waited for her to enter her house where she’s staying.

After that, I made my way on our house.

End of Heechul’s POV

            Author’s Note:

This is the 1st chapter. This story will consist of one-shots. It may be up to Chapter 6. I still don’t know how many Chapters this story will have since I still haven’t finished doing this story.

By the way, thank you to those who subscribed & read this chapter. Hope you enjoyed reading & like this chapter even though I felt that it was not good.

Please comment on what you think of this chapter.

I decided to update for my sister @heesica03 who 1st subscribed & who’ve waited for me to update. And also, thank you to my sister @ryoma28 who 1st commented.

By the way, the next update will be about Jessica's birthday. Hope you look forward to it!