II

The Game of Consequences [Hiatus]

 

I swear my father had said Jonghyun and Dongho. It was either that or Jongho and Donghyun. I wrinkled my nose at the last set of names, knowing that those didn’t sound right.
 
“Is there anyone else?” I trailed off, wondering aloud.
 
 “Anyone else?” Aron asked, furrowing his eyebrows.
 
“Ah, never mind,” I said, shaking my head after I realized that the group of four was staring at me in confusion.
 
Aron nodded slowly but dismissed my comment.
 
“So, what’s your story?” Baekho asked with a small grin.
 
“My story?” I blinked.
 
“Yeah, why you suddenly popped up at Pledis anyways. Being a rebel and all, I mean. We’re not exactly appreciated at this school,” he explained.
 
I nodded and opened my mouth. My story… my story… What’s my story? Appa never gave me a background excuse. “I was kicked out of my old school for starting a fight,” I shrugged, feigning nonchalance as I said the first thing that came to my mind.
 
“No way! You?” Aron chuckled. “You look about as harmful as a rabbit,” he said as he reached over and ruffled my hair.
 
“Yah!” I frowned as I swatted his hand away. “I’m not that innocent,” I grumbled as I smoothed my shoulder length hair back into place.
 
“Whatever you say,” Aron shrugged as Baekho laughed at the two of us.
 
After spending my lunch period talking to the group, I figured I had gotten the basics down in their personalities. Aron and Baekho were obviously the most talkative, cracking jokes and sarcastic comments at pretty much any given opportunity. Minhyun chimed in occasionally, usually settling for just watching everyone’s exchanges in amusement. But, what unnerved me just slightly was JR’s silent demeanor. He barely spoke at all and stared off into the distance half the time.
 
When the bell for the end of the period sounded, I waved goodbye to my new acquaintances. It was too soon to call the friends, of course.
 
“H23… H23,” I mumbled as I looked for the next room number on my schedule. I was already running late for class since maneuvering the school after my lunch had gotten me lost a few times. Now, back in the section of the first floor I was before, all I had to do was find my damn classroom.
 
“Here it is,” I smiled. Shaking my head, I took a deep breath and wiped all the emotion off of my face. As I stepped into the classroom, I sighed unnoticeably with relief that the teacher hadn’t arrived yet.
 
I took a seat in the back of the classroom and placed my feet on the wooden surface of my desk once again.
 
“So the rabbit’s in my class?” A voice questioned from beside me. I turned my head and laid my eyes on none other than Minhyun.
 
“I have a name,” I laughed lowly.
 
“I know,” Minhyun smiled at me. “But I think a rabbit suits you,” he nodded.
 
“Seriously?” I furrowed my eyebrows.
 
“No,” he snorted as he rolled his eyes. I pouted and glared at him half heartedly. He stuck his hand out towards me and held it in the air. “I didn’t get to introduce myself completely last period. I’m Minhyun, nice to meet you.”
 
I stared at his hand for a good moment before he sighed gestured to it with his eyes. Hesitantly, I raised my arm and met his hand with mine. He shook it once and then chuckled as he let go.
 
“Minhyun’s laughing!” I heard someone whisper in what sounded like surprise.
 
“No way! Kyeopta!” Another girl squealed.
 
“I see you have a fan club,” I raised my eyebrow and cocked my head in the direction of the voices. Minhyun snickered.
 
“Teachers hate us, students are scared of us, girls love us,” he shrugged.
 
“By ‘us’ you mean the rebel crowd, right?” I asked.
 
“That includes you now, too,” he gave me a pointed look and I bit my bottom lip. Oh yeah, it does…
 
“Everyone, have a seat!” A loud voice boomed from the front of the classroom. 
 
I slouched back in my chair and crossed my arms, getting ready to ignore the teacher for the rest of class.
 
A few hours and useless lectures later and I was finally free for the day. I sighed contentedly as the last bell resounded throughout the school. I stretched my arms above my head, my limbs cracking from stiffness. 
 
“So what do you think of our school?” Minhyun asked as we both headed out of our classroom.
 
“It’s…” I trailed off as I thought for a word to describe my day. “Great,” I said as I furrowed my eyebrows. “I mean, it’s not bad but I’ve seen better.”
 
He laughed and patted my shoulder. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said before waving. I nodded and offered my own wave as I watched him disappear down the hallway.
 
Taking a deep breath, I pulled out my cell phone. I dialed in a number and held the phone to my ear.
 
“Yoboseyo?” the familiar voice on the other line answered.
 
“Appa,” I greeted. 
 
“Minki! Have you found them yet?”
 
“Ani,” I replied, scrunching up my nose. “Are you sure they go to this school?”
 
“Of course! Do you doubt my knowledge?” my father growled.
 
“Aniyo!”
 
My father sighed from the other end. “Have you met the rebel group yet?”
 
“Neh, but I didn’t meet anyone named Jonghyun or Dongho.”
 
He sighed again, and I could almost picture him pinching the bridge of his nose. “Maybe they go by nicknames. Try to find out, but don’t make it too obvious that you’re looking specifically for that bit of information.”
 
I nodded despite the fact that he couldn’t see me. “Neh. Arasso, goodbye then.”
 
After I ended the call, I slipped my phone back into my pocket and cracked my knuckles. Time to get down to work.
 
I walked out of the school, keeping my attention on the dissipating number of students as I scanned them for any of my recently acquired acquaintances.  
 
Aish, I should’ve stayed with Minhyun while I had the chance, I thought as I sat down on one of the cement steps that led up to the school’s entrance.
 
“Hey, isn’t that the new kid?” I heard someone whisper. I looked up to see a small group of people standing not too far away.
 
“Ren, right? Omo he’s so pretty,” someone squealed.
 
“He’s looking this way!” One of the girls said as her eyes widened.
 
I watched in amusement as their faces turned red and they quickly turned away from me.
 
“Someone’s popular,” laughed a voice from beside me.
 
I shifted my head the other direction to find Baekho grinning down at me. Perfect.
 
I lifted my eyebrows and stared at him. “Don’t worry, they’re not going to come and flock around you. They’re too scared of us to actually approach us,” the sandy blonde laughed as he waved off my blank look.
 
I cracked a small smile. “You’d better not let them know your real personality then,” I said. He looked at me in confusion. “Because if they found out how out going you are, they’d never leave you alone,” I smirked. 
 
“Obviously,” he said as he rolled his eyes. “Because I’m just that charming,” he grinned.
 
I snorted. “Whatever helps you sleep at night,” I retorted.
 
“Yah, Baekho. Our ride is here, and you know how appa can get if we’re late for appointments,” a low voice said.
 
I widened my eyes as I saw JR step out from the school. Appa? So… they have the same dad?
 
“You two are related?” I asked.
 
The two’s eyes went wide. “A-ah no, not exactly,” Baekho said, shaking his hands. “We’re just… childhood friends,” he reasoned.
 
I nodded. Ah, so that’s how it is. “Well then, you don’t want to keep your ride waiting.”
 
They waved their goodbyes and walked off, leaving me sitting on the stairs.
 
I sighed and got up, brushing my legs with my hands to get rid of any dirt, and started my walk home. Appa wouldn’t allow me to have a driver for the reason of no one was supposed to know that I was rich, just plainly so or knowing the truth about my identity alike. 
 
As stepped into my house, my father was waiting for me. “Any progress?” he questioned. I shook my head. “It’s alright. Today was your first day after all, but make sure to keep your eyes out,” he said.
 
I bowed. “Neh, appa.”
 
I left the foyer of my house and went to my room. After I set my backpack down, I plopped down on my bed and ran my fingers through my hair.
 
“Aron, Baekho, Minhyun, and JR,” I listed their names aloud. 
 
I groaned. “Two of you are lying. Two of you have to be,” I muttered, a sinking feeling making its way into my stomach. “And I have to find out who you are.”

A/N:
 
Here's Chapter 2 ^^ Sorry for updating late, but when I decided to use Sunday as my update day, I totally forgot that yesterday was Easter >__> And therefore,  I had virtually no time on an actual computer.
 
Also, I apologize for this chapter. It's not at all how I wanted it to turn out, but it does give way to a little bit of progress in the plot I had in mind. But this chapter in itself... is definitely not my best work. I hope you guys bear with a few horrible updates due to my writer's block as I try to get the story line going >__<
 
On a less self-loathing note, I want to say thank you ^^ For all of you who subbed, commented, and voted on the poll last chapter. The poll itself is removed for the reason of, if you didn't already look at the results or had looked at it early on, the pairing will come as a surprise. And for the fact of, since I already know which pairing most people want, I no longer need votes.
 
But seriously, over 80 subs? Already? I can't even... OTL I'm so happy :)
 
Until next time~
 
xoxo