I

The Game of Consequences [Hiatus]

I puffed air into my cheeks and blew it out in a huff as I stared at the looming brick building that was to be my new personal torture. Pledis High School was nothing short of dull, the basic block structure of it practically screaming normal. I forced my feet to walk further than the few steps I’d taken onto school grounds. I sighed as I ran my fingers through my long blonde locks, hating the way it felt in my hands.

“Appa really does over do things,” I muttered to myself as I felt pretty much all of the attention in the area turn to me. Though, with my looks that clearly challenged the school dress code, I wasn’t surprised. Instead of buttoning the black dress shirt we were required to wear, I left it wide open, flaunting a graphic shirt. Slivers of a loose leopard print shrug poked out from my school shirt as well. ‘For flare,’ my appa had said. Along with a studded silver belt, my tight black jeans were adorned by a chain. And, to top it all off, I was wearing red high tops.

All in all, I looked nothing like myself.
 
I was normally someone who didn’t make myself known, melding into the flow of the majority of students. I didn’t want to stand out. But now, I had to.
 
As I reached the front doors to the school, I took a deep breath.
 
“You can do this, Minki,” I breathed as I pushed open the double glass doors. Almost instantly, any and everyone in the main lobby turned to me. 
 
Maybe I can’t do this, I groaned inwardly. It was one thing being the new kid; hell, it was hard enough being the transfer student when you tended to stay out of the spotlight. It was a totally different thing to be the new kid with a rebellious wardrobe in a sea of goody two shoes. It was only then that I realized that I had been frozen in place, my eyes darting around the lobby like a deer caught in headlights. Chin up, eyes forward, walk with confidence, I told myself.
 
I snapped my head to face forward and plastered an apathetic look on my face. Ignoring the whispers that circled in the air, I strutted ahead, the chain on my jeans slapping the side of my leg in an oh-so-irritating manner.
 
I pulled out a slip of folded paper from my pockets, making sure my movements looked as flawless as possible. Unfolding it, I looked down at the numbers printed on it.
 
“Locker 285,” I read aloud, and then moved my gaze to the metal storages that ran along the wall beside me. “267, 272, 283… Aha!” I said as I found the number that matched what was written on my schedule. A loud, buzzing sound rang through the school, and I looked up in confusion. “Was that the bell?” I asked the empty hallways. I scanned the area around me for a few seconds, not seeing anyone but a few students who were sprinting down the halls in attempt to not get lectured by their teachers for being too late to class. “Apparently,” I answered myself.
 
I looked back down at my locker and dialed in the combination. After trying several times to get the aging metal door to open, I sighed and kicked it in frustration. I grumbled incoherently as it swung slowly to the side, allowing me to open it fully. After I placed the few unnecessary belongings I had into the empty space, I slammed my locker shut and glanced down at my schedule again. “First period geometry with Mrs. Jung,” I read. “Great,” I sighed. I was never good at mathematics.
 
“God, is the only color this school knows brown?” I huffed as I walked around the halls. Save for the beat up, rusted, and somewhat vandalized grey lockers, the entire school was paved with faded bricks. The few walls that weren’t were half painted a dark, murky color, the natural grey walls poking out at random intervals. Even the floor was paved with cement rather than tile, giving the whole school more of a warehouse feel than a place for education.
 
Ten minutes of scaling the first floor of the school later found me staring at a deep burgundy plaque that rested awkwardly on the bricks. On it read H12, the room number for my first period.
 
Okay. I’m ready. I can do this. Act like a rebel, I reminded myself. Taking one final breath, I practically flung open the door.
 
Not surprisingly, whatever lecture the teacher was giving was cut to an abrupt pause as every eye landed on me.
 
“Well, nice to see you made it,” Mrs. Jung said in a forced, kind welcome. She was a short woman, but lanky for her height. Her thinning black hair was contorted into a bun, and her gaunt face was pulled into a tight lipped smile.
 
I shrugged from the doorway, my facial expression completely uncaring. “This is Choi Ren, a new addition to our class,” she addressed the students who were seated. Then turning to me, she sighed. “It would have been nice if you had decided to show up on time today, Mr. Choi. I’ll let you off the hook because it’s your first day, but don’t get into the habit of being tardy to my class. You can take the seat in the back corner.” 
 
I nodded slightly and made my way to the back of the classroom. As soon as I sat down at my desk, I lay back in my chair and swung my feet up on the flat wood surface. Mrs. Jung coughed loudly from the front of the room, and my legs twitched as a reflex to behave. I wasn’t used to being so nonchalant and dismissive about things, but I knew what I had to do; what reputation I had to create. Instead, I crossed my legs at my ankles and threw my teacher a challenging look. She narrowed her eyes and sighed loudly, but nonetheless went back to her lesson.
 
As it was, I found myself not even needing to pay attention to Mrs. Jung drone on and on about triangle structure. Though I wasn’t good at the subject, it seemed my previous school had been more challenging and therefore anything this class had to offer was a piece of cake. I closed my eyes and folded my hands behind my head, content to just relax for the next hour or so.
 
By the time I cracked my eyes open, the small classroom was practically empty. I yawned, and stretched my arms above my head. “Mr. Choi,” I heard my teacher call me from the front of the classroom as I stood up.
 
I glanced at her and sluggishly made my way to her desk. Instead of answering, I gave her questioning look.
 
“Please refrain from falling asleep in my class,” she said in irritation.
 
I shrugged and turned around, walking to the door. “And wear the correct uniform next time,” she called after me.
 
“Whatever,” I muttered. As soon as I exited the classroom, I breathed a sigh of relief. One teacher down, many to go.
 
My next period went pretty much the same way, with my chemistry teacher giving a lecture I had already heard at my old school.
 
And after what seemed like forever of relearning the periodic table later, the bell finally rang to signal my lunch period.
 
“Finally,” I smiled as I stretched my arms out at the end of my science class. “I thought that lesson would never end,” I mumbled as I slung my bag over one of my shoulders and left the classroom.
 
Now to find the cafeteria in this school. 
 
“Hey, you!” A voice yelled through the hallways. Most of the students in the surrounding area turned around. Letting curiosity get the best of me, I twisted my head to see what was going on behind me only to lay my eyes on a male who was slightly shorter than me. His dark hair was styled messily on top of his head while the sides were cut short. He wore a black and white graphic tee under his ed uniform blazer, and like me, a silver chain hung around his thighs. “Yah, blondie, I’m talking to you!” 
 
Only then did I respond by raising my hand and pointing at myself. “Me?” I asked, tilting my head slightly.
 
He sighed and made his way over to where I was standing. “Yes you.” He rolled his eyes. “You’re the new kid, right?” I nodded. “Well, kid, what’s your name?”
 
“Min-,”I started but cut myself off. “Ren,” I answered.
 
“Is this your lunch period?” he asked me. I nodded again. “Follow me,” he smiled lightly.
 
I blinked but decided to follow him anyway. As we strolled through the school, I heard whispers around us.
 
“It’s his first day and he’s already hanging out with Aron?”
 
“Oh my God, you don’t think he’ll become like them, do you?”
 
“But he’s too pretty to waste his life like this!”
 
I furrowed my brows at the comments that I happened to overhear. Who’s ‘them’? Is it who I think it is…?
 
“Yo, Aron!” A voice snapped me out of my confusion. I hadn’t even realized that we’d traveled up two stories and exited the building onto the rooftop. 
 
“Yah! How many times do I have to tell you to call me hyung?” Aron yelled back.
 
“Yeah, yeah,” the person who had spoken before sighed. He had blonde hair, though not quite as light as mine. It was more of a sandy, dark blonde. “Who’s the lackey?”
 
“His name’s Ren,” Aron introduced me. Before I had time to protest, he shoved me forward. “Speak for yourself,” he urged.
 
I stared at the group of people in front of me. All of them were dressed similarly, with shirts under their uniform and jean chains much like me. Wow, I fit in perfectly with them. That was a lucky guess.
 
“Annyeong. I’m Ren,” I bowed slightly. The group laughed and I felt my heart sink. Did I do something wrong?
 
“Yah, don’t be so polite,” Aron smiled.
 
“Huh?” I cocked my head to the side.
 
“We don’t bite,” laughed the sandy blonde.
 
“Anyways, I’m Aaron, but most people shorten it to one A,” Aron said.
 
“I’m Baekho” The blonde introduced with a crooked grin.
 
“Minhyun,” a boy with styled brown hair said, raising his hand.
 
The last person turned to me, giving me a blank stare. His dark hair was pulled into full side bangs, giving him a slightly intimidating look. “JR,” he nodded.
 
I frowned. None of them are Jonghyun or Dongho! How the hell am I supposed to find them?

 
A/N:
 
Oh ho ho >:3 Dramatic irony is fun, yes? 
 
Sorry to keep you subbers waiting >__> I have writer's block on the second chapter -____- BUT, hopefully, I can write it throughout this week and post it soon! Seriously, I'm going to try my best not to update randomly or once every month and a half like my ongoing SHINee fic.
 
This is a good a time as any to say this, but I think (if I can commit) I'm going to update this every Sunday. So just look for my weekly update ^^
 
And most of all, THANK YOU!!!!! Oh my God! Almost 50 subs with JUST the prologue??? You guys make my life :')
 
Until next time~
 
xoxo