III

The Game of Consequences [Hiatus]

The next day found me staring once again at the dull brick building that was Pledis High. I stood at the base of the stairs that led to the main entrance, staring up at the school. My shoulder length blonde hair was pulled into a messy bun and my nails were newly painted various designs in black and white. Today, I was wearing faded black skinny jeans with rips up the thighs and white high tops; my dress shirt was left open to reveal a shocking, hot pink graphic tee. If I was going to dress like a rebel, I was going to do it with style. 

 
“Rabbit!” An already familiar voice called out. I turned my head to see Aron waving at me.
 
“Is that going to be my new nickname or something?” I asked, raising my eyebrows as the brunette approached me. I didn’t find it surprising that he’d already heard it, figuring that Minhyun had already told him.
 
“Wasn’t it already?” He joked.
I smacked him lightly on his arm as he laughed. I was about to wave goodbye and head inside the school when I stopped myself. This could be the perfect time to see if he’s really Jonghyun or Dongho.
 
“Speaking of nicknames,” I started, as I began walking up the stairs, “do you have one?” 
 
He furrowed his eyebrows slightly as he matched my casual pace. “Yeah, I told you yesterday, didn’t I? Aron’s my nickname since my real name is the English pronunciation of Aaron.”
 
“Oh, right.” I nodded, mentally face palming myself. At least I’ve got him crossed out on that list. “Well, I’m going to go to class,” I said. He waved as I left.
 
Well that was kind of pointless. So they’ve got to be two of the others then. I sighed as I walked along the hallway, not wanting to go to class early and ruin my small but sure reputation. I’ll sneak the subject up during my classes with Minhyun, and maybe ask Baekho if I can find him after school. I tried to plan as I strolled along, not knowing how exactly I was to do anything I was actually thinking about.
 
A buzz resounded throughout the hallway. Sighing, I shook my head. I’ll think of how to get the information when the situation rises. There’s no point getting stressed out about it now. I rolled my shoulders and headed in the direction of my class. 
 
I drifted through my second day at Pledis, falling asleep through the unnecessary lectures that I didn’t want to hear. It wasn’t until lunch that I actually had to use my mind.
 
I didn’t need to wait for one of my newfound acquaintances to find me this time, so I strolled through the school at my own pace. I had become slightly used to ignoring the gapes and stares that I gained from others, smirking when I overheard girls complain about how much prettier I was than them. True, it wasn’t as if most guys liked being called pretty, I just found it simply funny.
 
When I reached the door to the rooftop, I pushed it open and stepped into the cool outside breeze. 
 
“The Rabbit’s here!” I heard Aron call to the group as I groaned from the doorway. 
 
“Yah, can’t you call me by my actual name?” I asked in faux annoyance as I tried not to chuckle at the irony of what I’d just said.
 
“No,” they chorused, causing me to roll my eyes. I betrayed my irritated front when a small grin spread onto my face. It didn’t matter that I only came to this school to scope out for information, I was actually happy that a group had accepted me quick enough to joke around with me.
 
“Omo! He’s smiling! Kyeopta!” Baekho fisted his hands by his cheeks and shook his head in a mockery to fangirling.
 
I snorted. “Please never do that again,” I stated when he finished his small display, causing him and everyone else to laugh.
 
Our group launched off into conversation just as we had the day before. I laughed along with their antics and mock fights, feeling that I somehow just fit in with them. To everyone else, they were broody, uncaring, and cold, but when together, they acted just as immature as most teenagers.
 
All of them except JR, of course.
 
His cold front didn’t seem to be a charade, existing even in the company of everyone else. When the conversation was well suited to the others, I took the time to watch him out of the corner of my eye. He sat on the cement floor, staring off into the distance and glancing at everyone only occasionally, while he rested his chin on his hands and his elbows on his lap.
 
I wonder what he’s thinking about.
 
It genuinely interested me how he was always so stoic. Even after only two days, having not seen any emotion from him perked my interest.
 
But my interest was short lived as my subconscious nagged at the back of my mind. I shook my head. Stop thinking about it Minki! You’re supposed to be focusing on finding out their identities.
 
I sighed and looked away from the brunette, joining back in the conversation.
 
It was only after my lunch period that I finally had the opportunity to continue my interrogation about nicknames. Minhyun caught up with me in the hallways, having lagged behind when I’d left for class, and idly talked while we walked.
 
“Do you really hate the nickname I gave you?” He asked.
 
I sighed lowly. “Not really, it’s just not a nickname I’d have ever thought to have,” I answered honestly. Then, taking advantage of the opportunity, I asked him, “What about you?”
 
“Me?” 
 
“Yeah. Do you have any nicknames you go by?” I asked, trying to sound nonchalant about it.
 
“Doesn’t everyone?” He shrugged, but then he paused. “But, I don’t go by any of mine.” After seeing my questioning look, he elaborated. “I mean sure, I have a few, but that doesn’t mean I like them. Most of them are just cutesy names that my fans come up with anyway,” he explained.
 
“So Minhyun’s your real name?” I asked as we reached the door to our classroom, the bell that signaled the beginning of the period having rung a few minutes prior.
 
He gave me a weird look and opened his mouth to speak but our teacher’s voice interrupted him.
 
“Why, if it isn’t our little delinquents. Glad you could join us for class,” his loud voice boomed. “Now take a seat before I give you both detentions for being late,” he threatened. We shrugged, not caring too much about the punishment but nonetheless following his order.
 
I closed my eyes as I sat back in my chair. I don’t think appa would even mind if I got a detention. Knowing him, he’d probably ecstatic that I’m actually playing my rebel role for all it’s worth.
 
A few hours later and the bell that signaled the end of the school day rang throughout the halls.
 
I sighed and stood up from my chair, stretching as I did so. I didn’t bother waiting for Minhyun today, my mind focused on finding Baekho and getting my information straight. Although I hadn’t gotten to hear Minhyun’s response on his real name, I had a feeling a new what he was about to say.
 
He doesn’t seem like the kind of person to lie about his name, though. But then again, I have to keep my options open with this sort of thing. I nodded my head with my thoughts. Right. Keep my options open. He could still be either Jonghyun or Dongho. 
 
I headed out toward the main entrance of the school and looked around. I have to find Baekho.
 
Upon spotting his dirty blonde hair, I smiled to myself. “Baekho!” I called out to him. He turned around at the sound of my voice and gave me a small wave.
 
“Hey,” he smiled as he walked over to me.
 
Knowing that I had to work nicknames into yet another conversation, I used the same topic as I had the entire day. “You’re not going to call me Rabbit?” I asked.
 
He chuckled. “Why? Would you rather I do?” 
 
I jotted out my lower lip in an aegyo filled pout. “Ani,” I said in a childish voice. Though pretending to be a delinquent in front of everyone else might serve some purposes, I was glad that I didn’t have to fully change my personality from how I normally was.
 
Baekho laughed and ruffled my hair, or as much of it as he could while it was tied up.
 
“What about you? Can I call you anything?” I asked.
 
“Baekho,” he answered, sticking out his tongue. 
 
“Just Baekho? There are no nicknames you go by? Or is that a nickname?” 
 
He seemed to hesitate for a second before shaking his head. “Nope, just Baekho,” he nodded before smiling. “But anyway, I should get going. Bye Rabbit,” he waved before giving me a quick pat on my shoulder and leaving.
 
I smiled and waved as well, but as soon as he was out of sight, I frowned. “He has to be hiding something. Right?” I asked myself, content to voice my thoughts aloud rather than keep everything in my head. “Is Baekho really his name?”
 
A/N:
 
I... I don't even know what to say.
 
First of all, I'm just so sorry for not updating in over a month. I'm not even kidding. It didn't even feel like a month to me.  And every time I tried writing this chapter, I wouldn't get in more than like 50 words before not knowing what else to type. ;-;
 
Secondly, I know this is probably not anything you guys wanted to read after a long period of time, but I promise, I'm not planning to keep Ren oblivious and in the dark for much longer. Obviously. Honestly, I think the beginning of this fic is incredibly hard for me to write since I have so much inspiration with the love triangle part of this and absolutely zero for the plot starter.
 
Lastly, 120 subs. You have got to be kidding me. Ohmygosh. Guys. Really? I love you all so much. I don't know how I still kept gaining subscribers during my unnanounced hiatus.
 
Fun fact: I was bored so I started counting... and this is #23 on the NU'EST fics for most subs ^^ Thanks guys :')
 
Also, for anyone who cares, Jay Park, yes THE Jay Park, was apparently about 20 minutes away from my house today. And I didn't know. FML. Oh, and he's also having a concert tomorrow about an hour or so away from my house, so my parents might let me go depending on my schedule. <3 I hope I can go. No guarantee, but if I do, I'll take pics for you guys ^^ If not, well then, I'll just be moping around my house >__>
 
Long A/N is long :/
 
Until next time~
 
xoxo