Shockwaves

Sovereignty

A/N: I'm slowly getting back on track with writing regularily. There are still a few things i'm finding difficult now that i'm back to writing but i'm hoping to overcome them and get back to normal. I've made a rule for myself that I won't post a chapter until another is finished and ready. It seems to be working out so far so hopefully it will continue to do so. Call it a back up plan for if I ever get stuck again, at least I have a chapter already prepared while i'm in a rutt~
Anyway! I hope you all enjoy this chapter and as always, comments are much appreciated.

 


 

That night Kyuhyun lay awake beside Leeteuk as he stared at the ceiling, his thoughts troubled by the revelations made by the Emperor just hours before. All of his life he believed that his mother was human and that human blood combined with demon blood flowed through his veins, but now everything he had previously believed had changed and he faced more questions than ever before. He carefully pushed himself up from the bed so he wouldn’t wake Leeteuk before walking over to the glass doors and stepping outside onto the balcony. The light realm was peaceful at night, even more so than through the day, at night it was almost silent if not for the distant laughter and singing of the more nocturnal beings in the realm. He sat on the wall with his legs hanging over the edge as he looked up at the sky in an attempt to clear his thoughts. Did his father know his mother's true identity? As he stared up at the stars he sighed before looking down at the ground below his feet. Leeteuk’s bedroom was high up on the second floor of the palace overlooking one of the courtyards.
“If I were human i’m pretty sure this fall would kill me” he mumbled to himself as he swung his legs out over the edge.
“It’s a good thing you aren’t human then because it would be a shame if you fell” Leeteuk said softly as he stepped out onto the balcony and approached Kyuhyun from behind before wrapping his arms around the younger.
 

Kyuhyun smiled a little and leaned back against Leeteuk’s chest, closing his eyes as he listened to the angels heartbeat. There was always something comforting about Leeteuk’s presence, especially in times of stress and sadness.
“I’m sorry if I woke you” Kyuhyun spoke softly “I haven’t been able to sleep properly all night so I thought maybe getting some fresh air would help. So far it hasn’t”
“You didn’t wake me, don’t worry. You have a lot on your mind, it’s not surprising that you can’t sleep. Come back to bed, please?” Leeteuk asked and pressed a kiss to Kyuhyun’s shoulder before pulling him backwards gently off the wall. Kyuhyun let out a small laugh as he was pulled backwards but he stood up and wrapped his arms around Leeteuk’s waist, hugging him tightly.
“First you want me now you want me in your bed” he mumbled against Leeteuk’s shoulder with a grin before he felt a light smack on the back of his head.
“What is with you lately? Always seeing the rude side to everything I say”

“I can’t help it. It’s part of who I am, plus have you seen yourself lately? You’re gorgeous”
“I can say the same about you. Now come on, back inside. You still need to rest” Leeteuk smiled and took Kyuhyun’s hand before leading him back inside and closing the doors behind them. He the lamp on the nightstand as Kyuhyun sat down on the bed before walking to the closet and pulling out a large and worn box.
“This is a box I was given after my mother died. It has letters, drawings from when I was young, basically anything my mother held dear to her. There is something that isn’t mine” he paused and sat beside Kyuhyun, removing the lid from the box. “Until last night I didn’t see any significance to it but there is a letter that isn’t addressed to me and that hasn’t been opened” he dug through the papers and letters within the box before he smiled and picked out a photograph. “Your mother was beautiful, Kyuhyun” Leeteuk said softly and handed the photograph to the younger. Kyuhyun smiled as he looked upon the photograph of his mother and Leeteuk’s mother smiling happily for the camera. It was the first time he had ever seen Leeteuk’s mother and the first time in a while he had gotten to see a photo of his mother looking so happy and shining so bright.
“Yours was too. I’m glad they were friends. I hope they found peace together” Kyuhyun said sadly as he handed the photo back to Leeteuk but the angel smiled and shook his head.
“Keep it. I have a whole album of photos of my mother. You may like to look through them sometime, there are a few of your mother too. Ah, this is what I was looking for.”

 

Leeteuk picked up an envelope and a small jewelry box from within his mother’s things before setting them down on the bed and setting the box on the floor.
“I overlooked the two of these when I received this box from my uncle. I thought they might have been misplaced so I didn’t open them. After our talk with my uncle last night I believe that they are for you.” Kyuhyun looked at Leeteuk before picking up the small envelope. It was addressed to the name he had known for most of his life and written in his mother's handwriting.
“‘My dearest Marcus.’” he repeated as he ran his fingers over the writing, a small smile creeping onto his face “This is for me?” he asked and Leeteuk nodded.
“Yes, and the box too. I think it might be a necklace or something. Do you want me to leave you alone to read the letter or should I stay?”
“Stay, please. I don’t know what this letter could say, i’d rather you be here with me.” Leeteuk nodded and sat against the headboard and let Kyuhyun shuffle to sit beside him, snuggling close to his side. He wrapped an arm around Kyuhyun’s shoulder, holding him close as he opened the letter, his hands shaking a little.
 

‘To my dearest son.

By the time you read this you will no doubt be known by your birth name, Kyuhyun.
And if you are reading this letter it also means that I am no longer among the living.

I have so much I want to tell you and it breaks my heart knowing that I can never explain any of this to you in person. I wish I could see the man you have become, the strong, gentle, brave and loving man I know you will have grown to be.

 

The short five years I got to spend with you were the best of my life.
I fed you, bathed you and clothed you. I bought you toys. I sang to you, read to you, taught you right from wrong and took care of you when you were sick. I spent three weeks by your side in the hospital when you were born. Your heartbeat was so weak that nobody thought you would pull through, but whenever I would sing to you a little smile appeared on your face and I knew you were a fighter, you never gave up fighting and I never gave up on you.
You are and always will be the light of my life, my shining star. My angel.

 

I know it wasn’t easy growing up knowing you were different from the other children. I hope their words were easily forgotten by you because you are and have always been better than them. You must have a lot of questions about your life and who you are but I hope by the end of this letter you will have a better understanding of who you are, if not you will find the answers close to home.

Let me start with your name. Kyuhyun was always a name your father was fond of. He wasn't a part of your life when you were born but it was a name we had decided on together, I guess I couldn't bring myself to change it even after he left. So I took it upon myself to call you Marcus, after my father. Even at your young age you reminded me so much of him before he passed away, I wish you could have met him.

 

Your father is a very powerful man, by now i’m sure you know this. I knew who he was when we met but something about him compelled me to love him. Loving him was dangerous but exciting. We spoke about so many different things. We planned to marry but we never spoke of children because of what he was. The last thing he wanted was a to have a child with a human. So when I fell pregnant he left us. He told me that a king could never have a son that was half human because that child would never be able to take the throne. But there is one thing your father never discovered about me over the year we spent together. I wasn’t born in the human realm to human parents. My parents were from the light realm and I myself was an angel of the light.

 

I know it’s a lot to take in and knowing this may give you more questions than it does answers but this part of your life has been hidden from you for too long already.
You are part angel, part demon. Both light and dark magic flows in you. You are unique, Kyuhyun, and more powerful than you could ever imagine.

 

Your father is a very powerful man, as I said earlier. But when you realise your true potential and embrace who you really are, you will be even more powerful than he is. You alone can stop the war between our realms and unite us all once again.
 

I love you, my beautiful, special boy. Never forget that. And if you ever feel alone just know that I will always be with you. I will forever be your guardian angel.

My love always.

Your mother.
x

 

Leeteuk frowned when he noticed tears leaving Kyuhyun’s eyes and he moved quickly to wipe them away before pulling the younger closer, pressing a kiss to his head.
“I think she knew she was in danger” Kyuhyun spoke softly as he put down the letter to wipe his eyes. Reading the letter had brought back many memories of his mother, both happy memories as well as the memories of the day she died, memories that he would rather forget.

 

"She wrote this letter for me knowing that she wouldn't be here when I read it. Do you think she knew the people who killed her?" He asked as Leeteuk pressed a kiss to his temple while tracing patterns on his arm with his fingers, something he did to comfort the younger.

"I don't know. I'll speak to my uncle in a few days and see if there's any way we can find out more about the day she died" Kyuhyun nodded as he looked back down at the letter and frowned.
“She said that my father didn’t want to have a child with her because she was human and a half human, half demon child could never inherit the throne.. I’ve been lied to all of my life. My father always talks about Heechul and I like we are equal. I know that Heechul will take the throne before me because he is older but if what my mother wrote is true I won’t ever take the throne”
“There’s still a lot we don’t know, Kyuhyun. But if it is true, well, you aren’t half human so those rules no longer apply to you.”

 

Kyuhyun sighed as before he picked up the small box and inspected it closely before opening it. The box contained a small silver necklace with a locket charm hanging from the chain. He narrowed his eyes as he took the necklace from the box and looked closely at the engraving. "'I am always with you'" he spoke softly before he opened the locket and smiled  when he looked upon the picture inside. It was a picture of him and his mother when he was little. He was wrapped in her arms smiling happily, a perfect reflection of his mother's face.

"I remember the day this picture was taken" he smiled, showing Leeteuk the photograph "She took me to the park to see the ducks"

"You both look so happy. And you were such a cute little boy" Leeteuk grinned, trying to lighten the mood and earning a pout from the younger "You're still cute though, no matter how much you deny it"

"I can stop being cute whenever I like but the opposite isn't really a nice thing to be around" Kyuhyun shrugged and Leeteuk kissed his temple again before taking the necklace and opening the clasp. He looped the chain around Kyuhyun's neck before fastening it with a smile.

"There. It's yours now, Kyuhyun. Now your mother really will be with you always. Come on, you should try and get some sleep, you've had an exhausting week this week and you still need your rest." Kyuhyun nodded and shifted to get back under the covers with Leeteuk, wrapping his fingers around the locket before he was pulled against the older's chest. He sighed softly and wrapped his arms around Leeteuk's waist as he closed his eyes, hoping the night would stay for longer and his thoughts would let him sleep.

 

*****

 

When Kyuhyun arrived back in the dark realm the next day everything was quiet and in relative darkness with most people sleeping or in their houses. A few demons walked the streets, stalking out the weaker demons from the rest. As Kyuhyun walked closer to the palace the demons began to scatter, their instincts telling them to run as the demon prince approached.  Kyuhyun walked through the palace gates and past the sleeping guard, he opened the doors and sighed as he picked up the familiar scent of home.

"Kyuhyun where have you been?" Heechul shouted as he finally laid eyes on his brother from the top of the stairs, frowning when he ran his blood red eyes over the younger demon "You look awful"

"Thanks, and you look like a hairy man beast, are we finished with the insults now?" Kyuhyun hissed.

"Okay okay no need to be mean. Aish someone didn't get laid last night. Where have you been anyway? Nobody has heard from you for almost a week"

"I've been busy"

"Busy fighting from the look of your face. I hope the person who did that to you suffered, my son" The king's words echoed in Kyuhyun's ear as he walked into view, his robes flowing freely as he walked. Kyuhyun shrugged but followed his father into the kitchen, walking to stand by the sink.

"I got into a bar fight, it's no big deal, i'm alright" he lied "But I have the worst hangover of my life so I'm going to bed" He grabbed a glass and filled it with water before walking past Heechul silently to avoid anymore questions.

"Goodnight Kyuhyun. We'll talk in the morning." The king spoke softly and Kyuhyun gave a small nod and left the room, ignoring Heechul's whines as he headed up the stairs towards his bedroom. When he reached his room he pushed the door closed and kicked off his shoes, setting the glass down on the nightstand as he sat on the edge of his bed.

 

Being back home didn’t help ease the mixed feelings that had built up over the past week. Many things still left questions in Kyuhyun’s head, including whether or not his father knew the truth about his mother. A knock at his door snapped him out of his thoughts and he looked up as the door opened.
"My lord?" Hangeng called out softly as he poked his head in through the doorway, his eyes widening slightly at the prince's' state "What happened? Are you okay?"

"Nothing Hangeng, I just tripped and hit my head, I'm fine don't worry" he shrugged but gave Hangeng a small smile before he got into bed.
“I’ll be just down the hall, if you need anything just shout”

“Of course. Thank you” he mumbled and he sat up against the headboard with his knees pulled to his chest and the covers pulled up to his chin as Hangeng left.

 

After a while the palace fell into silence as the remaining members of the family finally settled in to bed but Kyuhyun remained awake, staring into nothing as he thought about the events of the past week.

"Are you going to keep lying to everyone or are you going to tell me what's wrong?" Heechul asked softly from the doorway. He stepped inside and pushed the door closed behind himself, giving them privacy to talk without the risk of being overheard, before walking over to sit on the bed.

"I have no idea what you're talking about brother. What I told you was the truth"

"Then why tell Hangeng that you tripped and hit your head?"

Kyuhyun remained silent, instead choosing to pick at his nails before Heechul grabbed one of his wrists, a low growl leaving his throat as he inspected the faint but noticeable bruises around his brothers wrists. "Kyuhyun what the hell is going on? Who did this to you?"

"I made a mistake and I paid for it. That's all you need to know.." Kyuhyun sighed and pulled his wrist back, glancing up at Heechul before he looked away again.

"Fine. If you're not willing to tell me maybe I'll have to pay that boyfriend of yours a visit. But one way or another I'll find out what you're hiding"

"No! Don't... I'll tell you but... you have to promise me that you won't tell anyone. Not Hangeng and especially father"

"I promise" Heechul nodded and made a cross motion over his heart before hearing a small and rather worrying sigh from the younger.

"I've found out a lot about myself this past week. Things that I'm sure that father doesn't even know. But this" he paused, pointing to the cut on his head and the bruises "This was my own fault. I attacked Sungmin and as a result I was punished for it"

"You... what?" Heechul blinked in confusion, his ears flattening slightly.

"Leeteuk took me into the light realm the day after I left here. Everything was fine but I knew from the start that Sungmin hated me. He doesn't trust me to keep Leeteuk safe. We had just started to meet with the emperor and Sungmin walked in.. Everyone knew it was difficult for me to be there but I was doing okay until he walked in. I lost control and attacked him.. almost killed him, and I would have if it wasn't for Leeteuk's friend. Four days later I woke up restrained in a cell.. I spent a couple of nights with Leeteuk after having a talk with the emperor and now i'm here, back home."

Heechul stared blankly at Kyuhyun, both surprised and angered by his brothers admission. He gently grabbed hold of the youngest wrist to inspect the bruises before doing the same to the cut on his head.

"You said this happened almost a week ago? Why haven't you healed, Kyuhyun?"

"I was unconscious and restrained for four days. I haven’t been able to feed much since I regained consciousness, being in the light realm kind of made it impossible. I’ve been feeding from Leeteuk like I normally do but this last week has been stressful, you know what i’m like when i’m stressed”
“And I know what you’re like when you don’t take your medication. If I could step foot in the light realm I would kill Emperor Lee in a heartbeat, and that son of his. How dare they do this to you. You need to feed so you can heal”

“There’s something else, brother” Kyuhyun sighed as he took his mother's locket in his hand, holding it against his chest before he allowed Heechul to look.
“What’s this? A gift from Leeteuk?” he asked and Kyuhyun shook his head, letting Heechul open the locket before small smile stretched upon his face. “Your mother” he smiled as he studied the small picture of his brother as a child. “Who gave you this? I’ve never seen you wear it before”
“Leeteuk. It was in a box of things that were given to him when his mother died, as well as a letter from my mother.”
“How did your mother and Leeteuk's mother know each other?”
“They were best friends before I was born and while I was still a child. Heechul, I…” Kyuhyun paused and sighed, unsure of how to tell his brother the new information about himself.
“Go on, brother, whatever it is you can tell me”
“Have you ever heard of a race of hybrids called the Nephilim?” Kyuhyun asked and Heechul shook his head.
“Not that I can recall, no. What are they hybrids of?”
“They are an endangered race, apparently. They’re the offspring of angels and demons… Heechul, my mother wasn’t human. She was born into the light realm, she was of pure blood”
“That doesn’t make sense though. That would make you half angel, father would have known about this” Heechul said in disbelief as he looked at Kyuhyun, studying the younger's face for any hint that he might have been joking. “Kyuhyun… Please tell me that this is some kind of joke” he mumbled and Kyuhyun shook his head.
“Think about it. My eyes are purple, we have never met anybody with eyes like mine and even father didn’t have an explanation. Sunlight is uncomfortable but it isn’t dangerous for me like it is for the other demons like me. I can walk freely in the light realm despite being a demon. I didn’t believe it when Emperor Lee told me all of this, how could I when it seems so crazy. But then Leeteuk gave me the letter my mother had written me and she mentioned that both light and dark magic flows through me, how can I ignore that?”

 

Heechul’s features softened and his ears fell flat to his head as he shook his head a little. He was torn between believing what Kyuhyun had said and wondering whether the whole thing was a figment of the younger’s imagination in his weak state. He looked Kyuhyun in the eyes before letting out a sigh.
“Okay, lets say it is true and I believe you. What are you going to do? You can’t tell father this. And if Junsu finds out he will kill you for sure. You can’t tell anybody here, Kyuhyun. You won’t be safe”
“I know. Until I know more there are only a few people who know about this and i’m keeping it that way. I just… I need you to stay with me through his. I’m still your brother.”
“Don’t be stupid. You will always be my brother. I’m not going anywhere. If I can handle you as a nine year old when you tried to kill yourself i’m pretty sure I can handle you being partly of pure blood” Heechul laughed and hit Kyuhyun on the back of his head with his tail before letting it flick freely behind himself again.
“Please don’t bring that up..” Kyuhyun mumbled as he rubbed his wrists gently “I don’t know what i’m going to do yet. I need to find out more about all of this and about myself first. But that means spending more time with Emperor Lee and Leeteuk. Emperor Lee knew my mother well, he’s the only connection to her I have left right now”
“I’m sorry, brother. Do what you need to do. Finding out who you are is more important than anything going on here right now. I’m going to get some sleep, I think you should do the same because you look exhausted. I’ll see you in the morning”

 

Kyuhyun watched Heechul leave his room before he got up and walked over to the window, looking out over the realm. His bedroom was higher than Leeteuk’s was in the light realm. He was on the third floor of the larger palace giving him a good view of the area surrounding the palace as well as the village nearby. He closed the doors and in turn pulled the curtains closed, plunging his bedroom into darkness before he climbed into bed. It was going to take time to get used to the idea that he had pure blood running through his veins, a small weight was lifted from his shoulders the minute he had told Heechul but due to the dangers in Abaddon he couldn’t tell anybody else. He curled up in bed and took out his phone before bringing up Leeteuk’s number, he typed out a quick message and pressed send.

 

To: Leeteuk
From: Kyuhyun
Message: I got home okay. I spoke to Heechul, as expected he didn’t know whether to believe me or not but I think he could see that I was being serious. I miss you. I don’t like that i’m not with you right now. I’ll be back tomorrow, i’ll come and visit you at work. I love you. Sleep well beautiful x

 

To: Kyuhyun
From: Leeteuk
Message: Good, i’m glad you got home safe. You have a good brother, you’re lucky to have him. I miss you too, my bed feels empty and it still smells like you. I might be working later than normal tomorrow but you can stay until I finish, I don’t think Shindong will mind. Get some sleep. I love you too x

 

Kyuhyun smiled at the message on screen before putting his phone and glasses down on the nightstand, pulling up the covers and closing his eyes. It had been a long, stressful week and he was ready for things to return to normal.

 

**

 

The next morning Kyuhyun was rudely awoken by shouting in the hallway outside his bedroom. He sat up in bed and rubbed his eyes before getting up and walking to the door. The shouting got louder as he opened his door and poked his head out, looking down the hallway to see Heechul standing by Jaejoong with a knife in his hand, his breathing heavy.
“Heechul, what’s going on?” Kyuhyun asked as he walked from his bedroom and towards his brother. He glanced at Heechul’s face and then to Jaejoong, who was stood looking at the older prince with a smirk.
“Hello Kyuhyun, I had a feeling you were home” Jaejoong hummed, his smirk turning into a devious smile as he finally looked upon the young prince. He raised his hand and flexed his fingers, his nails growing sharp before Kyuhyun’s eyes and Heechul stepped closer, raising the knife to Jaejoong’s throat.
“Lay one finger on my brother or Hangeng and it will be the last thing you do. Now get lost before I take Junsu’s little pet away from him!” Heechul hissed as he bared his fangs and dug his claws into the side of the shapeshifters neck, piercing the skin. Jaejoong let out a pained groan and lowered his hand, his nails retracting instantly.
“I’m sorry, my lords. I sensed something and was compelled to see what it was. I didn’t know that Kyuhyun was home”
“Leave, now. The next time I catch you near mine or my brothers rooms I won’t hesitate to kill you.” Heechul stepped backwards and stood in front of Kyuhyun once he had released Jaejoong. He kept the knife held tightly in his hand until the shapeshifter was out of view before he finally relaxed.

 

“What was that all about?” Kyuhyun asked as Jaejoong left and Heechul grabbed his arm gently before pulling him back into his room and closing the door.
“I found him trying to get into your room. I think he can sense something different about you. He can’t know what you told me last night so it must just be something about your scent that is different to him. Just be careful and keep your eyes open from now on.”
“I will, i’m being careful. I’m only staying long enough for father to see that everything’s okay and then i’m going back to the human realm to see Leeteuk.”
“Good. I think for the time being you’re safer away from here”
“Heechul, this isn’t anything new. I’ve been this way all of my life and i’ve been perfectly safe. The only difference is now I know what I am. Act like nothing has changed and i’ll be fine. I know you worry about me but i’m alright” Kyuhyun smiled before hugging Heechul briefly and smacking him over the back of his head. “That’s for waking me up!” he grinned. Heechul blinked in surprise at the younger’s action, confused at his sudden change of mood from serious to playful but he smiled, happy to have his brother back to normal.

Kyuhyun walked to his closet to change into his jeans and a sweater, he put on his glasses after rubbing his eyes. He sat on the edge of his bed to pull on his boots before Heechul walked over and ran his fingers through his brother's hair.
“You need a haircut, it’s getting long. You’ll look like a girl soon enough.”
“Next you’ll be picking out what clothes I wear. My hair is fine, brother. I’ll get it cut when it starts to annoy me. Unlike you who is annoying me now” he mumbled and stuck his tongue out. Heechul took a step away from his brother, running his eyes over the younger sceptically.
“Your clothes have been worse. I’m going to go and find Hangeng. If I don’t see you again before you leave come and find me, I want to see you before you go”
“I will. Thank you, Heechul” Kyuhyun smiled as Heechul left the room and headed down the hall in the direction of the kitchens.

 

After Heechul had left Kyuhyun lay back down on his bed with his legs overhanging the edge. The last week had exhausted him and he wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep but his brain was already too active to let him. He closed his eyes and let out a sigh before the weight shifted beside him on the bed.
“Good morning, son. I hope you slept well.” Kyuhyun opened one eye to look at his father before sitting up and scratching his neck.
“Good morning, father. I didn’t hear you come in. I was just about to come and see you”
“I thought I would save you the trouble. Junsu is running an errand for me so I have some spare time before my next appointment”
“I don’t like him. Why do you keep him around?” Kyuhyun asked with an annoyed frown earning a side glance from the king.
“He’s been my loyal advisor for twenty years, Kyuhyun. What has he ever done to you that was so bad?”
“I don’t trust him. Plus he’s already…” Kyuhyun paused, shaking his head “Forget it it doesn’t matter”
“What’s on your mind, my son? No matter what it is you can tell me” The king smiled and rested his hand on the younger’s shoulder, giving it a gentle and reassuring squeeze. Kyuhyun sighed.
“Do you remember a little while back when I was attacked just outside the palace? When Eli hurt me” Kyuhyun asked and the king nodded his head gently, a look of confusion on his face. Kyuhyun paused again as he tried to pick his words wisely so he wouldn’t need to mention Leeteuk. “Eli had a master. He wasn’t given orders to physically hurt me but I killed Eli’s partner, Kevin, so he wanted revenge. Junsu was Eli’s master…” The king blinked and looked at his son in disbelief before shaking his head.
“But Junsu is the one who killed Eli, I saw it with my own eyes”
“But you didn’t hear what happened. When Junsu drove the knife through Eli’s chest he said ‘Master, why?’ and then he mentioned that Eli wasn’t supposed to physically harm me. I don’t trust him, father. Neither does Heechul” The King frowned and his face contorted in both confusion and anger before he stood from the bed. Kyuhyun watched his father from where he sat, waiting for him to speak.

 

After a few moments of silence the king finally spoke again as he walked towards the door. He looked back at Kyuhyun and searched his son’s face, looking for any sign that what he had been told was a lie, but he found none.
“Go home, Kyuhyun. I will deal with Junsu if and when I see the need to.” Without another word the king left the room and headed down the hallway in the direction of the meeting room where he planned to conduct the rest of his daily duties. Kyuhyun’s face contorted in anger and he grabbed his glasses and his phone before walking after his father. Heechul was on his way back from the kitchen when he noticed his brother walking down the adjoining hallway and he walked towards the meeting room, sensing that was where the younger was heading.

 

Kyuhyun pushed open the doors harshly causing them to hit the wall with a loud bang, much to the king's surprise. He stood on the opposite end of the large table his father was sitting at, his hands clenched into fists as he stared at his father.
“Kyuhyun, what are you-”
“Just say it, you don’t believe me!”
“I didn’t say that. I told you that I will deal with Junsu and I will”
“You said if and when you need to deal with him. That implies that you don’t see a reason for him to be dealt with. I know you don’t believe me. Why would you?”
“Lower your voice, Kyuhyun. Remember who you’re speaking to” The king warned and Kyuhyun scoffed, rolling his eyes. Heechul stopped outside of the room, listening anxiously to his father and brother talk as he tried to work out what it was they were arguing about.
“I’m speaking to a coward who is too scared to admit his closest friend is a traitor” Kyuhyun hissed and the king slammed his fists down on the table before standing up and glaring at his youngest son.
“Hold your tongue boy! You may be my son but I am still your king!”

Upon hearing this Heechul stepped inside and pressed a hand to Kyuhyun’s chest, pushing the younger backwards gently to get between the two.
“What are you two shouting about?!” Heechul asked but Kyuhyun ignored him as he bared his fangs to his father, his anger getting the better of him.

“You are not my king! My king is loyal and would believe the word of his son over the word of a lower demon. But forgive me, why would you ever believe the son you never even wanted over the word of a traitor? I might not be a full demon like Heechul but it doesn’t give you the right to look down on me as though i’m nothing!”

“Kyuhyun, that’s enough. You need to calm down now before-” Heechul started as he cupped his brothers face in his hands and looked directly into his eyes, something they used to do when Kyuhyun began to lose control, but the kings laugh followed by his voice interrupted him.

“You are nothing!” The king growled, his eyes glowing brightly through his anger. Both Kyuhyun and Heechul froze to the spot at the revelation before Kyuhyun stormed out of the room, tearing the handle from the door as he pulled it closed behind himself.

“I assume you were arguing because he told you something about Junsu you didn’t like to hear? I heard the word traitor so I can put two and two together. If i’m right then you just made the biggest mistake of your life, father” Heechul sighed as he turned to leave the room but his father's voice stopped him.
“Not you too, Heechul. Please, you’ve known Junsu your whole life. How am I to believe he would try to kill Kyuhyun?”
“Because I was there! I’m sorry, my lord, but it’s true. Now i’m going to go and get my brother before he does something stupid at your expense.”

 

Heechul left the door open as he left the room and several guards entered after him, the raised voices alerting them to the disagreement. The king rose from his seat and gave a wave of his hand, ordering his guards to follow closely behind him as he left the room and followed Heechul down and out of the palace. Heechul called out after Kyuhyun but his words fell on deaf ears as Kyuhyun headed towards the portal to the human realm.
“Kyuhyun stop, please!” He shouted once they had crossed the palace gates and Kyuhyun stopped for a moment and turned to face his brother.
“You heard him, brother. I’m nothing. Why should I stay here?”
“Because i’m asking you to, please. Father didn’t mean what he said, he’s angry and so are you. You both need to calm down so we can talk this through.”
“There’s no point. I’m going home, I can’t stand to be here any longer. At least in the human realm i’m wanted!” Kyuhyun shouted, aiming his words towards the king as he stood at the palace gates.
“Guards! Make sure my son does not leave the realm” The king called out causing several of his royal guard to close in on the princes. Kyuhyun noticed their approach and bared his fangs as he backed away before he focused solely on the guard closest to him. Heechul watched as Kyuhyun’s eyes began to glow blue and the guard screamed and fell to his knees, clutching his head in pain before falling to the ground and going still. Kyuhyun’s eyes widened in shock and the rest of the guards came to a standstill before they to fell to their knees.

 

“Kyuhyun you need to stop this right now!” Heechul screamed as he watched his brother closely before glancing back at the king. He studied the look on his father's face for a moment before rushing over to Kyuhyun and covering his eyes. “Brother stop. Calm down.”
Kyuhyun clutched Heechul’s shirt with shaking hands and he shook his head, closing his eyes tightly behind the older’s hand.
“Heechul I don’t know what’s happening. Help me.”
“You need to calm down. Father is looking this way. Your eyes are blue, I don’t know how but I think you somehow activated your light magic”
“I don’t know how to stop it”
“Take a deep breath” Heechul said softly, trying to calm his voice in order to calm Kyuhyun. He glanced behind himself and towards his father as more guards began to approach them, seemingly unphased by the five guards now lying dead at Kyuhyun’s feet. “More guards are coming. Father cannot see your eyes like this, brother. Open your eyes and look at me.”
Kyuhyun took a deep breath when Heechul’s hand moved away from his eyes and he opened them slowly before noticing the approaching guards. He looked at Heechul once again as tears of frustration and anger gathered in the corners of his eyes, the older prince shook his head before covering the younger’s eyes again. “They’re still blue, Kyuhyun. I don’t know what to do. You need to go. Father’s guards are slower than you, if you run you can make it to the portal before any of them catch you. I’m sorry I didn’t believe you but I promise you this, i’ll protect you. I won’t let anything happen to you because of what you are.”
“Thank you, brother. I don’t know what I would do without you” Kyuhyun sighed, giving the older a small smile as he removed his hand again. The blue glow in Kyuhyun’s eyes remained but he refused to look at anyone other than Heechul through fear of what might happen, especially if he were to look at his father in his current state. He released his grip on Heechul’s shirt as the guards closed in around them and he turned around before noticing a gap in their approach.
“Go now, brother. I’ll call you later.” Hearing Heechul’s words Kyuhyun took off in a run, using his speed to his advantage to disappear out of the sight of the guards and his father. When he reached the portal he snuck up behind two of the guards who were tasked with making sure nobody came or went without approval. They were unaware of what had happened just outside the palace and Kyuhyun smirked a little as he raised his hands to within just an inch from their heads and focused on whatever magic he could at that moment. He closed his eyes briefly and when they opened his eyes glowed brightly with the same blue colour they had held just minutes before. As he concentrated on the anger and frustration brought on by his father he noticed a jolt of energy go through his fingertips, the feeling similar to a massive static charge, before both of the guards silently collapsed at his feet.
“What’s happening to me?” he mumbled to himself as he stared down at his fingers before activating the portal.

 

Up at the palace the king approached Heechul with more guards by his side. He looked down at the bodies of his fallen guards, confused as to just what had happened with his youngest son.
“I’ve never seen him do anything like that before. Heechul what was that?”
“I’m sorry my lord, but I don’t wish to speak to you right now. What you said to Kyuhyun was unforgivable. In what world is it okay to tell your youngest and most fragile son that he is nothing?!”
“I do admit that what I said was uncalled for but he had no right to speak to me like that and neither do you. Find your brother, bring him back here”
“No. Get your guards or your dog to find him. I’m protecting my little brother this time” Heechul scoffed as he watched the king's guard begin to march in the direction of the portal, hoping that Kyuhyun had already left as they could not leave the realm. Heechul turned his back on his father and walked back through the palace gates before pulling out his phone and calling the only person he could think of to help.


“Leeteuk it’s Heechul, are you busy?” he asked as he took a seat on the palace wall. Leeteuk could be heard speaking to someone in the background before it was only his voice to be heard.
Hey Heechul. I have time to talk, i’m on my break. I was just about to call Kyuhyun” Leeteuk said softly and Heechul sighed.
“About that..”
“Heechul what’s wrong? Is everything okay?” The angel asked, sensing a change in the prince’s voice at the mention of Kyuhyun’s name. Heechul rubbed the bridge of his nose before he spoke again.
“No… Something’s happened. I need your help…”