A new day

Sovereignty

The tension between Abaddon and Araqiel had always been high. The demons of Abaddon craved the blood of angels for its purity and power, making them the prime target for attack. For years Araqiel had protected the human realm, freeing the hearts and minds of mortals from fear and making them feel safe once more.
Tensions reached breaking point between the three realms when Kim Jung-Won, king of the demon realm, decided to try and claim earth as his with the intention of slaughtering all those who refused to accept him as their king. Araqiel stepped in once word of Jung-won’s plans reached the emperor of the light realm, Lee Soon-Chun, asearth’s guardians it was Araqiel’s sworn duty to protect earth from the demon realm, but with limited defences and two armies not quite ready for war, it didn’t take long before the deaths started mounting up.

Five years... It had been five years since the world changed completely. The tranquillity between earth and its two realms had been torn apart by war, and the world was thrown into turmoil as all three realms began to fall into ruin.
Three years ago, it all stopped and there was silence among the realms. It seemed even the all powerful can get tired. A peace treaty between the three realms brought about an unsteady peace. People began to pick up their lives once again and life began as normal.

………

The sun rose over Abaddon waking Kyuhyun from his slumber. As his bedroom filled with sunlight he rolled over onto his stomach and buried his face into his pillow in an attempt at shutting out the light that seemed to be blinding him more than usual.
“Go away!” he whined as he heard a knock at the door before he heard the door to his room open and close, there was silence for a brief moment until weight shifted on the bed beside him.
“Wakey wakey brother!” a voice called, Kyuhyun groaned and pulled the pillow out from under his head, burying his face beneath it and holding it over his ears.
“Aww come on Kyu! Im bored! I’ve already been up for hours and Hannie is throwing up all over the place, come keep me entertained” 

“Heechul…go…away”
“Yah! You’re no fun!” Heechul pouted as he pulled the pillow away from Kyuhyun, along with the blanket that covered him. Kyuhyun yawned and covered his face with his hands as he sat up and rubbed his head. “You look awful” Heechul laughed after seeing his brother’s state. Kyuhyun’s hair was a mess and he was still partially dressed in the clothes from the night before. The belt on his jeans was unbuckled and his shirt was ed.

“I couldn’t even get undressed last night…What the hell did you have me drink?” Kyuhyun mumbled as he pulled the shirt off his shoulders.
“I didn’t have you drink anything, you drank it all yourself! Even when Hannie and I stopped, you carried on. You passed out around 3am and we had to carry you back to the palace. Do you have any idea how hard that is?”  Heechul whined and ran his fingers through his red hair as Kyuhyun yawned once more.
“You’re the one that dragged me to go drinking with you both. Remind me to not do that anymore. I feel like I could throw up all day”
“You don’t get to do that! We had to take you out; you didn’t let us for your birthday and you needed cheering up. Go and shower, get dressed and meet me in the dining hall in an hour.” Heechul grinned before jumping off Kyuhyun’s bed and seemingly dancing out of the room, his tail swaying happily behind him as he left.

………

An hour later Kyuhyun entered the dining hall dressing in clean jeans and a jumper, he ran his fingers through his still wet hair as he sat down at the end of the table, choosing to rest his head in his hands in favour of greeting Heechul.
“I hear you had a rough night last night” a voice chuckled from beside Kyuhyun and he groaned in reply before raising his head and resting his chin in his hand.
“Good morning father” Heechul and Kyuhyun said in unison as their father, king of Abaddon, took a seat at the table.
“Good morning boys. Kyuhyun it’s nice to see you here again. I have hardly seen you at the palace since your birthday” he smiled as Kyuhyun shrugged.
“It’s only been two weeks father. And you’re the one that bought me the apartment in the human realm” he grinned “so it’s your own fault”
“You maybe hangover but your still as snarky as ever.” the king laughed as Heechul popped his head around the corner from inside the kitchen and smirked before walked over to the table and holding up a dead rabbit.
“Hey Kyu are you eating this morning?” he asked as he waved the carcass in front of Kyuhyun “it was caught fresh just half an hour ago”
Kyuhyun’s eyes widened and he covered his mouth with his hand “Im gunna be sick” he mumbled, before jumping up off his seat and running to the bathroom, leaving the sound of Heechul’s laughter behind him.

 “Good morning my lord” a tall blonde man smiled and bowed as he entered the dining hall, his skin was sickly pale, making his dark red eyes look brighter than they were. “Where’s Kyuhyun running off to in such a hurry?”
“Throwing up” Heechul grinned as he a drop of blood off the back of his hand.
“Good morning Junsu” the king smiled as Junsu sat at the table “I hope they didn’t wake you last night”
“This morning” Heechul smirked “and it was mainly just Kyuhyun!”  
“Heechul shut up and go see if your brother is alright and then go check on your play thing!” the king growled, before he and Junsu erupted into a fit of laughter at the red heads face.
“Aish so mean!” Heechul pouted as he left the table, curling his tail around his leg to keep it out of the way as he headed towards Kyuhyun’s room.
“I swear sometimes I really don’t know how he passes for a 22 year old, he acts like a five year old most of the time” the king chuckled.
“I heard that!” Heechul yelled, not quiet out of hearing distance of his father.
“Good” he smiled.
“Forgive me my lord but you do encourage him sometimes” Junsu smiled “Kyuhyun too” 
The king smiled and nodded his head as he signalled for one of his servants.
“Yes, yes I do. You are my most loyal advisor Junsu and most trusted friend, if you were anyone else I would have your tongue cut out for that” he smirked “but then where would I be.”
“Heechul and Kyuhyun would have probably driven you insane if it wasn’t for me sire, I like to think im the balance” Junsu smiled as he made a cut across the servants wrist, and began to drink.

………

“Kyuhyun-ah! Are you alright? Father sent me to come and check on you.” Heechul asked as he knocked on the door to Kyuhyun’s bathroom. Seconds later the toilet flushed and Kyuhyun opened the door. He looked like death, the usual colour he had in his cheeks had gone completely and his lips were pale, making his violet eyes and jet black hair stand out more than usual. He wiped his mouth on a scrap of toilet paper as he left the bathroom, before crawling back into his bed.
“Im fine, im just gunna stay in bed for the rest of the day until I can get back home” he mumbled as he pulled the covers over his head, shutting out every trace of light, to prevent the splitting headache he had from getting worse.
“Want me to see if Hannie will make sure you get home alright? Im sure he won’t mind.”
“Sure whatever. I mean it though, im never drinking again”
“Of course brother, I believe you” Heechul laughed as he walked out of Kyuhyun’s room and across the hall towards his own.

He knocked before opening the door to see Hangeng lying on the bed.
“Oh not you too” he sighed.
Hangeng was lead on the bed with his head hanging off the end, his wet hair dripping onto the floor forming a small puddle.
“It’s you’re….”
“Fault, I know! Aish if this is what I get for trying to have fun then I’ll go out on my own next time” Heechul ranted, throwing his hands up in the air as Hangeng laughed lightly and sat up properly on the bed.
“Such a drama queen” He smiled as Heechul walked over and sat beside him. Heechul wound his tail around the human boy’s neck to pull him in for a heated kiss. He smirked as he pulled away slightly from Hangengs lips, a small string of saliva joining the pair as Hangeng let out a shaky breath.
“Did I mention I love the fact your demon half is feline?”
“You may have mentioned It once or twice” he smirked as he ran his hand through Hangeng’s wet hair, letting his tail sway gently behind them.
“Because it’s true” Hangeng grinned as he nipped at Heechul’s bottom lip “Like a beautiful cat you never wanna lose”

Heechul smiled before pressing their lips together hard, pulling back after a short few seconds.
“Meow” He grinned as he shuffled into the middle of the bed and crossed his legs. “I maybe the feline but you’re the one wearing the collar” Heechul smirked as he hooked his finger under the black band around Hangengs neck, using it to pull him close before he nipped at the human boy’s neck. “Now the real reason I am here, because I can see you’re perfectly fine now…”
Hangengs mouth fell open as he stood from the bed and put his hands on his hips.
“Yah Kim Heechul you tease!”
“I know, you love it” He grinned “I need you to take Kyuhyunnie home, he’s hung-over as hell, the light isn’t helping, and It should be dark in the human realm right now. Make sure he gets home okay, please?”
Hangeng sighed but nodded.
“I will, I know how the sunlight bothers him, and he broke his sunglasses last night so he’s using yours.” Heechul opened his mouth to speak but Hangeng silenced him with a wave of his hand “Don’t worry! He has more at his apartment as a precaution if his got broken, I’ll bring yours back when I return”
“Yah! Do not wave your hand at me!” Heechul growled as he pulled Hangeng down onto the bed, pinning him down securely. “Im hungry” He frowned as he settled his weight on Hangengs stomach.
“Then go to the kitchen and have the chef make you breakfast, weren’t you just there anyway?”
“But the stupid chef can’t give me want I want” he grumbled as his eyes fixed on Hangengs neck. Hangeng shook his head as he saw Heechul’s meaning.
“I can either get Kyu home safe or you can feed. But I can’t do both, at least not in the order you want anyway. Give me an hour and I’ll be home. Can you wait that long?”
Heechul pouted and shook his head, looking like a child who had just had their favourite toy taken away from them.
“Tough you’ll have to” Hangeng smiled before rolling over, pushing Heechul off him as he got up and pulled on his jacket. “I’ll be back in an hour, I promise.”  He smiled as he pecked a pouting Heechul on the forehead before leaving the room and walking into Kyuhyun’s across the hall.

“Are you awake sire?” Hangeng asked as he approached the lump on the bed that was tangled in blankets.
“Unfortunately yes” Kyuhyun mumbled as Hangeng lifted up the corner of the blanket enough to slip his hand inside.
“Here put these on. I told Heechul I would take you home” he said quietly as he handed the sunglasses over.
“Thanks Hangeng. Sorry to be a bother” Kyuhyun laughed lightly as he sat up and let the blankets fall off him, adjusting the sunglasses slightly before swinging his legs over the side of his bed.
“Its no problem, it’s what im here for. Hey don’t you need your glasses?” Hangeng asked as he looked around the room confused as to where Kyuhyun’s glasses were. “You didn’t take them out with you last night did you?”
“No there in the bathroom. I put my contacts in earlier so im fine until I get home.” he yawned as Hangeng got his glasses out of the bathroom and grabbed a jacket from the hook on the back of the door, putting them on the bed next to the young prince.
“I’ll meet you in the main hall in ten minutes, I want to get changed.” Kyuhyun mumbled as he opened his closet. Hangeng nodded before bowing and heading out of Kyuhyun’s room closing the door behind him.

Kyuhyun sighed as he rummaged through his clothes before pulling out a pair of black jeans and a gray t-shirt. Once he was dressed he slipped on a black beanie hat and pulled out his usual mask, hooking it over his ears to cover his nose and mouth. He found wearing masks useful living within the human realm, they stopped him getting sick and with the smell of blood strong no matter where he went they served as an effective way of keeping himself under control around humans.

………

The sun was at its highest point when Kyuhyun and Hangeng set off towards the portal to the human realm, it was a cold day but the sun was bright, blinding Kyuhyun despite him wearing dark sunglasses.
“It feels like my eyes are on fire”
“I didn’t expect the sun to be so bright today; otherwise I would have suggested you stay at the palace. We could go back if you wish”
Kyuhyun rubbed his temple as he stood in the shade of a building with his eyes closed, before shaking his head.
“No I just wanna get home, its past midnight in the human realm, darkness is what I need right now, let’s go”

Within ten minutes they had reached the portal. It was located within an old warehouse surrounded by dead trees and ruined buildings from the war. Outside the warehouse stood a single guard, heavily armoured with a katana holstered on his belt and a rifle within his hands, he had been placed as a precaution to prevent any unauthorized crossings between realms.
“Good morning sire” the guard bowed and Kyuhyun nodded in acknowledgement as they passed and entered the warehouse. The portal was located in the middle of the room, a large sphere of shimmering light with the reflection of the human realm seen deep within. Hangeng stepped through first, taking a deep breath as he disappeared within the light, just as Kyuhyun was about to follow he heard a voice behind him.
“Kyuhyun!” Heechul panted as he entered the warehouse, his ears were flat to his head and his tail shook as he fought to catch his breath.
“What is it?” Kyuhyun asked as he raised an eyebrow to his brother “You look like you have just been chased by a rabid dog.”
“Yah! Don’t even joke about that!” Heechul hissed as he instinctively looked behind him, before approaching Kyuhyun and pulling a box out of his pocket. “You forgot these”
“I didn’t even know I’d brought them with me…Thanks” he mumbled as he took the box and slipped it into the pocket of his hoodie. Heechul stepped backwards away from the portal and smiled as Kyuhyun stepped through and out of sight.
“Aish now what am I supposed to do” he sighed as he looked over at the shimmering portal. “Do I dare?” he smirked as he stood contemplating following his younger brother, before he shook his head and left the warehouse, setting off back to the palace.

...................

“How do you always forget to hold your breath going through the portal?” Hangeng laughed once Kyuhyun had emerged within the human realm, gasping for breath.
“I got…distracted” he coughed as he leaned against a wall of a building.“Heechul got to the portal Just as I was about to step through.”

There was a time delay between realms and the air within the portal was heavy, making breathing difficult. Some had compared it to having the air from their lungs, others had compared it to drowning and some had merely suffocated before reaching the other side.

“You never told me what he wanted…” Hangeng said softly as the two of them walked the dark and empty streets on their way towards Kyuhyun’s apartment building. Kyuhyun sighed and pulled the white box from his pocket, shaking it before slipping it back in his hoodie.
“Your medication?”
Kyuhyun nodded. “I forgot I had it with me”
“When was the last time you took it?” Hangeng asked as they approached the end of the road.
“I don’t remember it could have been yesterday morning” Kyuhyun shrugged as they rounded the corner, his hands were tucked within his pockets and his eyes were fixed on the floor as they walked.
“Actually…” he mumbled “I don’t want to go home just yet…”
“I promised Heechul I would walk you home, and you wanted to go back to bed not too long ago”
“Yes and now I’ve changed my mind, I want to go and sit at the park for a little while” Kyuhyun snapped and turned down a narrow road towards the park, Hangeng groaned and rolled his eyes before walking after him.
“Yah Kyuhyun get back here! Heechul or your father won’t be happy if I go back and say you ran away from me!”
“Leave me alone! Im not a child I can get home myself”

Hangeng sighed as he followed Kyuhyun before the younger boy rounded a corner.
“Kyuhyun wait!” he shouted as he lost sight of the younger boy, only to hear his voice once again a few moments later as he reached the corner. 

“Aish son of a!” Kyuhyun hissed as he was knocked to the floor by a man with light brown hair, about his height and dressed fully in white.
“I’m so sorry!” he gasped as he held out a hand to help Kyuhyun up.
“Why don’t you watch where you’re going” Kyuhyun growled as he swatted the hand away and pushed himself to his feet, brushing himself off as Hangeng came into view.
“Im sorry, that’s the problem I wasn’t looking where I was going. I didn’t expect anybody to be out this late.” The brunette smiled, showing the cutest dimple, before he bowed in apology.
“Kyuhyun are you alright?” Hangeng asked as he rushed to the younger boy’s side and began brushing bits of dirt off his jeans.
“Hangeng im fine, Stop fussing!”
“Im sorry, its instinct now” Hangeng laughed slightly before turning towards the stranger. “Im sorry he yelled at you...  is there something on my face?” he asked upon feeling the bright blue eyes of the stranger studying him intently.
“I know you…” he whispered as he tilted his head to side slightly whilst he studied Hangeng. “Your name is Hangeng, Korean name Hankyung; you were born in china, your 21 years old… Human.”

Kyuhyun looked on at Hangeng as he seemingly froze; staring at the stranger in front of him as though he was trying to remember.
“How do I…” Hangengs eyes narrowed as he stepped forward, a small smile crept onto his face, as if something in his head had clicked a memory into place. “Leeteuk? Is that really you?”
“Im glad all that time away hasn’t made you forget me.”
Kyuhyun sighed and pulled down his mask to yawn as he leaned against a nearby wall.
“Im sorry, where are my manners, Leeteuk this is Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun this is Park Jungsu”
“But please call me Leeteuk” he smiled, albeit a little uneasy after seeing the sharp fangs within Kyuhyun’s mouth. “It’s nice to see you back here in the human realm… does this mean you finally ditched Hee…”
“I would watch what you say if I were you” Kyuhyun hissed, seeing where the remark was going.
“Leeteuk… Kyuhyun is Heechul’s younger brother…” Hangeng continued “Im just making sure he gets home alright and then I will be returning to Abaddon, my place is with Heechul.”
“I see, well as long as you’re happy I guess, and Im sorry Kyuhyun I did not mean to offend you. It’s nice to meet you” Leeteuk smiled before bowing to the younger boy.
“Yeah… You too” Kyuhyun replied, bowing his head out of habit as he leaned against the wall. “Hangeng you can stay here and catch up if you want. Im just gunna go home, I have a splitting headache, im starving… and your angel friend smells too good right now, I wouldn’t want to spoil such a nice evening.” He smirked upon seeing Leeteuk stiffen slightly before pulling on his mask again.
“How do you know im an angel?”
“Easy… Your eyes are blue, a sign of apparent ‘purity’ amongst angels, and you smell better than any human I’ve ever come across… No offence Hannie” Kyuhyun grinned.
“None taken sire. Walk with us Leeteuk?” Hangeng smiled as he followed behind Kyuhyun, who had once again set off walking.
“Sure, im heading that way anyway my apartment isn’t far from here, it will give us a chance to catch up” Leeteuk smiled as he tagged along by Hangengs side.

The two talked while Kyuhyun walked ahead of them, secretly listening in on their whole conversation. He heard that Leeteuk and Hangeng had met three years ago, shortly after the war had ended; something about Hangeng being a medic before he met Heechul had led to the two of them becoming close friends. Then two years ago when Hangeng seemingly disappeared Leeteuk had feared the worst, thinking he had either been killed or taken by demons.

“Im happy with Heechul” Hangeng smiled when Leeteuk asked him how things were going. “Sure at the start I wanted nothing more than to come home… but things changed, sure there are downsides to our relationship but its nothing I can’t handle”
“If things ever get too bad you know where I am” Leeteuk smiled “What’s his story anyway?” he asked, motioning to Kyuhyun who was now a good couple of metres ahead of them.
“What do you mean?”
“He is Heechul’s brother, which makes him a demon… so why are his eyes not red? I thought that was what distinguishes demons from angels.” Leeteuk asked and Hangeng shrugged.
“As far as Im aware his eyes have always been violet, nobody seems to know why and people stopped talking about it. They are a little weird at first but you get used to it. Being human living in the demon realm you get so used to being stared at with red eyes, adding violet into the mix just creeps me out” Hangeng laughed lightly.
“I’ll admit it is a little weird, but I don’t know… they suit him. I think…” Leeteuk was silenced by a hand on his chest as Hangeng’s eyes widened.
“Don’t even go there!” he whispered “Whoever Kyuhyun takes an interest in ends up dead, his mental state isn’t good, I don’t want you getting hurt!”
“Hangeng relax! I said violet suited him, I never said I wanted to have with him!”
“Good… Make sure it stays that way”

“Hate to break this to you both but… I can hear you” Kyuhyun smirked as they approached his apartment building. He took his hands out of his pockets and pulled down his hood, breathing in the crisp night air before letting out a sigh.
“You alright Kyu?” Hangeng asked with a concerned tone to his voice as Leeteuk stood off to the side, observing the two. Kyuhyun nodded.
“Im fine” he smiled “Never been better”
“How’s your head?”
“Better… I think the fresh air helped. Oh I almost forgot, give these back to Heechul when you get home, I don’t need them now” Kyuhyun mumbled as he pulled Heechul’s sunglasses from his pocket, handing them back to Hangeng.

“You know it’s rude to eavesdrop right?” Leeteuk said as he glanced towards Kyuhyun, receiving a smirk from the youngest.
“It’s not eavesdropping when the only thing I can hear is the two of you, talk quieter next time” Leeteuk raised an eyebrow “We were whispering…”  
“Yes… What’s your point?”
“Leeteuk” Hangeng sighed, deciding to step in before an argument ensued “It doesn’t matter how loud we speak, he will still hear us… Its one of his… gifts” he said questionably, earning a chuckle from Kyuhyun.
“Just one of them… Oh great you mean there are more?” Leeteuk laughed upon seeing the smile that had crossed Hangengs face. Kyuhyun crossed his arms and smirked as he let Leeteuk have his moment.
“Are you finished?” he asked before disappearing for a split second, only to reappear right behind the blue eyed angel, making his entire body feel heavy as he felt Kyuhyun’s hot breath on his neck.  

“Sire what are you…”
“Shhh Hangeng. Im simply showing Leeteuk another of my ‘gifts’ as you so put it” Kyuhyun smirked devilishly as his hand slipped loosely around the other side of Leeteuk’s neck, before he pressed his fangs too the soft pale skin.
Leeteuk screwed his eyes shut tightly as he found himself unable to move but rather waiting for the pain to shoot through his neck, but it never came.
He felt a cold hand wrap around his wrist, tugging him away from Kyuhyun just in time for the younger boy’s fangs to catch the surface of his neck. He hissed at the slight discomfort as he brought his hand up to cover any damage. He caught his reflection in a nearby window and wilfully moved his hand, only to find there were nothing more than two small scratches in the middle of his neck.
“What the hell?” Hangeng yelled as he glared at Kyuhyun, who smiled and scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.
“Sorry… Im sorry Leeteuk”
“It’s alright” Leeteuk smiled as he pulled his hand away from his neck “See no damage done.”
“No, no it’s not alright. I shouldn’t have done that…Im just going to go upstairs” Kyuhyun mumbled and ran up the small set of steps before disappearing into the apartment building.

“Im sorry about that Leeteuk, he didn’t hurt you did he?” Hangeng asked as he looked over Leeteuk’s neck, sighing when he realised just how bad things could have gotten.
“Im fine Hangeng, honestly don’t worry about it” Leeteuk laughed as he tried to reassure the human boy.
“If I hadn’t pulled you away from him…I know what happens when he loses control…”
“But you did! So stop worrying.” He smiled and pulled Hangeng in for a hug. Hangeng sighed and relaxed, returning the hug before pulling away.
“Im glad we ran into you tonight, ill defiantly be sure to visit more often now. I have to get back… I told Heechul id be back in an hour, he’s probably wondering where I am”
“Remember what I told you Hangeng… Anytime, anything you need you know where to find me, I live just round the corner.”

…………

Kyuhyun looked down onto the street from his apartment, it was dark but the street lights made pinpointing Leeteuk and Hangeng easy, he watched as the two walked just a few metres to the end of the block before Hangeng turned the corner and vanished. Leeteuk crossed over onto the darker side of the street, his white clothing still visible within the darkness, as he approached an intersection a light flickered on above him. As moths were slowly drawn from the shadows to the source of the light Leeteuk looked back at the block of apartments and smiled
“Goodnight Kyuhyun” he said quietly, before turning and finishing the short walk home.


(A/N: Just incase anybody is confused, Sire is a way to address nobility here in the Uk, such as kings, if your still unsure google it =] )

If you're confused, please dont bombard me with questions, all will be explained in time, dont forget this is only chapter one, there are many more to go.