Putting Those Broken Pieces Together..

I Have Always Loved You

Sungmin and I spent the next three months slowly trying to put our broken pieces back together. I was still kind of scared and hurt and confused and so was he. I knew Yuri meant nothing. He didn’t care for her, that I could tell.. But still he betrayed me, left me on my own... complete cut off... thrown into the world. It’s not something that can be forgiven or forgotten easily. We already started with some texts, a phone call here and there, him coming over to my house. very very slowly. We built up our trust. I began to forgive him and let the hurt be filled with new memories of us. He began to let me slowly into his heart. Things could get hard and sometimes the past came out and we would fight. But each day made a us a little closer, things were getting better too. And that made the both of us happy.

 

On April 23, he texts me to meet him at our stairs. I go. He was standing there with this huge white stuffed teddy bear. We sat down and he asked me to be his girlfriend. I said yes. I felt like if we could get through everything that happened we could get through anything. He told me the bear was for protection because he couldn’t be there every night to hold me.

 

May, June, July, August, September... All were really great months. We continued to take things slow, but once we had the comfort of knowing we were “each others” again, things got even easier. The horrible past faded and the present kept us happy. We went swimming and laughed and he taught me how to throw a football. He would watch me read even though it would be a bit awkward.. and we would kiss with everything we had. We tell each other everything. We also would watch movies. cruise around. try new food. just do everything and anything! We would argue here and there about silly things, but we were young and in love and nothing could stop us. His senior was finally here and we were so happy. It’s like the timing was finally perfect for us. Looking back from my freshman year which was his sophomore year, we had come such a long way, and with all our crazy family problems we felt like we deserved to feel this love, to have this experience, to be happy. I felt that Sungmin and I were destined to be with each other forever.

 

On the third of October, he calls me crying and asks me to go to the park. I run over there and find him bawling in the sand. I immediately hug him also repeatedly asking him whats wrong at the same time telling him I love him. He gets up, looks me in the eyes and says “Sunny.. I have cancer.”