YG School of Arts

Born for the Stage

big_bang_2011.jpg?w=590&h=497

Image not mine :'), actually, most of them are not.

 

CL’s confidence with herself didn’t help when she ignored the onlookers while her older cousin led her through the crowd. Wearing a keypad designed black sweater, denim skirt, black stockings and sneakers, CL walked with pride as she held a back pack with one hand—her extra clothing and other necessities (for practices) are inside the dark purple luggage that Teddy brings with him. After reading the requirements for her other subjects from the school website the night before, she packed with low spirits.

 

“You know, you don’t have to personally walk me to my locker.” CL grunted. It’s just not cool—it’s like a parent walking her to her every class. This is so nursery. She thought. Teddy didn’t even reply and that only worsen her mood.

 

“Chae, you don’t even know your way to the whole school—I wanted to tour you around, and honey, I’m being kind.” Teddy replied much later on.

 

Without further ado, they arrived in front of locker 21.

 

I feel like a baby. She rolled her eyes as Teddy personally, again, arranged her things on her locker. “You know what, let me handle that.” Chaerin said before grabbing her make-up kit from him. Teddy didn’t reply but he didn’t fight her and allowed her to take care of her things. “I’m nineteen, treat me as one.” She said while she put her luggage neatly inside the locker.

 

But instead of feeling low, Teddy shrugged and curled an arm on her shoulder “I know, ‘cous, but anyone below 20 is a baby for me.”

 

That managed a smile on her lips. “When I grow up a few more years, I’m going to show you who’s the baby between us.”

 

They walked the corridors together. The school was actually amazing, or so thought CL.

 

It was a state of art—each and every detail probably worth at least a hundred thousand—and that’s in American dollars. Gardens surrounded buildings, it’s like the construction was built without even destroying the stunning, natural beauty of the land. “I’m impressed.” She said to Teddy who was speaking to a man she presumed the president and owner of the school. “Of course.” It wasn’t Teddy’s voice.

 

“Chaerin-sshi? I’m the headmaster, Yang Hyun Suk, but I’m mostly called YG.” The man named YG said. CL took in his appearance, simple but had the poise that demanded respect. “Hello.” She greeted with a bow. “Um, actually I’m really impressed with the structure of the whole school—like old and new combining together.”

 

Both men looked at her, “I don’t get that.” Teddy said with a raised brow; YG chuckled. “If you want to talk about structure then you must speak with the architects and engineers, but I hear you’re an artist.”

 

Yeah—I’m good at making pig-rabbits, wanna see? CL bit back the thought, sarcasm will only get her expelled; not only from YGSA but from Korea if she show sudden disrespect. She only smiled. “Well, opening ceremonies about to start, CL—I’ll leave you to this man here—” he gestured towards YG. “I’ll let him brief you in. Okay?” With that, he patted her shoulder and left.

 

She pulled in a breath when YG gave her a really cold smile—Dang, he’s scarier than grandpa.

 

He didn’t say anything even when they entered the hall. The room was big—but “How come it couldn’t accommodate the whole student body?” She asked the YG man. “Some outsiders would always want to see the students perform, I see no point in stopping them since it brings the name of the school in another level.”

 

The whole hall darkened, the lights dimmed and a bang from the speakers started.

 

Cheer from the audience, sound from the speakers and greetings of the singers, they were all loud, but all she could hear was the sound of her heartbeat. It was all exhilarating.

 

She took in the voices; one was that of an RnB artist, one was really cool; another was deep and rough, the other sounded like it could hit higher notes and one was blendy—if there’s even such a word. “What do you think of the song?” YG asked her. It might be loud, but she heard him. She noted the combination of those five male voices, the beats “It’s good. I mean—amazing.”

 

“The dude who sings the chorus sort of lost it a moment ago, but the mistake wasn’t that great to even be noticed by the others. The one with the Mohawk—is he the lead vocalist?” She asked and the older man nodded. “The rapper, he should dance more though. I have no comment with his rapping but he needs to work that body if he wants to be in the same stage level as the others. The blonde, his voice is…” She wasn’t sure if she could fine the right word to describe him but “…I think I would like to hear him in a solo song.”

 

“And the other one?” YG asked her. CL looked at the guy who kept on singing B-to-the-I-to-the-G-to-the-Bang-Bang! He looked arrogant. He has the right to be arrogant, she thought; stage presence, voice quality—deliverance, and damn, the bone melting charisma, “He’s—I’m not sure where he should stand in the whole scheme of things.”

 

“Ms. Lee, you’re now judging the composer himself—and the leader of Big Bang.” She looked at him, his face as nonchalant as the black shirt he seemed to wear underneath the dark grey jacket. “Big Bang?” She asked.

 

“An idol group here in the school.” YG said in a matter-of-fact tone. “They were made a few years after 1Tym graduated. 1Tym is your cousins’ group.”The boys performed another song, and it was as exhilarating as the previous one, if only she have the same talent as the leader of Big Bang, if only.

 

“I’m planning to release another idol group—a girl group this time.” YG said to her after minutes, a chorale climbed the stage. After the amazing opening act of the boy group, the chorale seemed to sing the prayer. The soloist sang her part, “Wow—she’s good.” CL said, but it was more of a self-whisper. “She is, and she’s going to be part of the girl group. They have been practicing the whole vacation.”

 

“The other members? How many will there be?” She asked, but she was far from stunned now, knowing she will never be part of it. “Some famous girl groups reach nine—”

 

“That’s going to be quite crowded, so far there will be three.” YG said with an amused voice. “Ms. Lee, what is your major, again?”

 

She looked at the president but he was now looking at a group of dancers who climbed up the stage after the chorale left. A famous pop song played. “Arts.” She said, short and precise. YG looked at her, and she could feel him looking at her soul, “I think you’re in the wrong department.”

 

**

 

That comment stayed in Chaerin’s mind as she sat on a table in the garden, her feet were comfortable on the benches. The whole morning was free time, and she found herself walking towards the gardens that impressed her earlier.

 

I think you’re in the wrong department…

 

She left the whole stage-loving part of her last two years ago because she doesn’t have the same talent as those of the five males who sang nor the vocalist on the chorale nor the dancer with that dancing group, or that actress with the fresh voice.

 

Her phone rang. “Yo.” It was Teddy. “The ceremony? Cool.” A pause, “I’m near the pond—yeah in the gardens.” It looks like the whole stay is going to be pure torture. “Um, no—” She could hear Teddy talking about something but she was still dazed.

 

“Uhh, oppa? I need to go—yeah, call you back later. Okay. Bye.” CL finished. She gave out a big sigh, how could she actually drop her minor subject with out alerting anyone? But, what would happen if she gave it a try? There’s nothing to loose right?

 

“Thinking of what I said earlier?” A voice called out. CL looked over her shoulder and saw the president. “Sajangnim.” Chaerin called and straightened her posture. “Its lunch time—why aren’t you in the cafeterias?” He asked as he walked. Now, was she close with the president? “I’m not really hungry.”

 

He didn’t say anything after that. But CL felt the temperature rise.

 

“Ms. Lee, I have unfortunate news for you.” YG said as he stood in front of the bench. A gut feeling told her that she wasn’t going to like the news that the President of YG School of Arts was going to tell her. “I took the liberty of transferring you from Arts into Performing Arts major.”

 

That just broke something inside her. “What?” Hell with the rules, she was going to voice her say to this. “How could you do that! That’s like bending a students’ freedom of choice!”

 

“Actually, I get to choose a students’ Major and Minor courses.” He said. “Because I make it a major rule for the entering students to show me their craft before I welcome them to my institution. Unfortunately, in your case, Teddy was the one who entered you—without even an audition piece or a personal appearance. But your comments on Big Bang earlier told me that you will not do well with your chosen Major course.”

 

“So you’re taking that freedom from me? That’s hardly fair now, isn’t it?” CL demanded—she had enough of this. How come people kept on telling me that I can do it—I—I just can’t.

 

When she didn’t say anything—he turned to look at the pond. “Your cousins are a few of the successful graduates of this school, Chaerin. I asked Dongwook and Jiyeon, they told me the same story as Teddy did.” CL thought what kind of genius this man must be for him to scare the out of her. She wasn’t used in feeling small—at least not after the shocking confession two years ago. “They told me that you could rival our GD when it comes to the stage.”

 

She looked at his back and imagined stabbing daggers unto him—now that was a comforting thought. “GD?” She asked. “G-Dragon, or Kwon Jiyong in real life. He is the leader of Big Bang.” Chaerin’s thought went back to the stage act earlier or specifically, to the man that just made her wish she was him.

 

“And it made me wonder how good you could be for them to describe you as the female version of him.” He looked at her and man, she did want to find something to distract her, he might yet eat her alive.

 

CL didn’t say anything for she knew it would be useless. I guess the only way out is to do what they want me to do. She was not going to skip anything—not going to drop a course either. I’m out of this place at the end of this sem. She just swore.

 

**

 

She found herself walking behind YG.

 

Now she felt like a puppy when all of her life she was treated like a prized gem, but something feral inside her was happy. Now, all she wanted was to disappear, to destroy—“CL?” Now, how did the President knew her nickname? “Yes?”

 

“Since classes have started, you’re going to accompany me watch the rehearsal of Big Bang and the upcoming girl group.” YG explained as he opened the door of Studio 13. “Tell me what your reaction to each performance.”

 

They entered and a Rihanna song was being played. “Yah!” She was stunned when the President yelled. The guys were playing, and the girls were chatting. From what she could see there were seven people in the room, excluding herself and the president. “I did not give you all-around exemptions for all of you to laze around!” Now it felt like winter started. “How can you give a perfect fund-raising project at the end of the semester if you laze like this? Do you think you’re good already?”

 

“You’re all nowhere from that level.” So, the dude could be really scary without even lifting a finger. From the looks of the idols, this man was just the most valuable and the most-to-look-out-for critic. “Yah—Seungri!”

 

The dude with the chestnut-like hair stepped forward; he looked like sheet-white, “Sajangnim?” The boy Seungri asked—and he sounded like he was going to start crying soon.

 

“Go grab us a chair.”

 

And Chaerin was sure she almost fell—at least she tried to stop herself from laughing. “Where is Jiyong?” The President asked before he took the seat Seungri took. Even though she was just there to watch, CL was not comfortable. “I’m here! Sorry for being late!” The door opened and the intruder entered. CL didn’t turn. “Am I wrong in choosing you as the leader, huh, Kwon?”

 

“No—I was from the security room, grabbed a copy of the performances so I could review some mistakes.” The boy named Kwon Jiyong and probably the renowned GD said. She was right—he was arrogant, but the kind of arrogance that just challenged the Queen that was slumbering inside Chaerin. And at that time, she turned to look.

 

“You’re—” she started. “Vanessa?” he smirked.

 

She sighed, damn, Now isn’t the perfect time to mess with me she might be talking to her imaginary friend called Destiny. When she turned her head to avoid his heated gaze, she heard him chuckle. Well, well, well, so Mr.-I’m-pretty-cute-in-white-tee is a performer. That might sounded an insult, but she couldn’t deny that all she could say to this specific male were all praises.

 

The idols stood in a half-circle before the President started talking. And that damn Kwon was still looking at her, smirking. CL gathered all of her confidence, leaned on her seat and crossed her legs comfortably. “As you know, my companion for today is the new student everybody is fussing over, Ms. Lee Chaerin.”

 

“She was the one who gave the criticism I told you earlier.”

 

He told them? Oh—hell. “I decided that it might be fun if she could watch you guys perform and say her judgment to me. After all—she sounded as professional as her cousins.” YG named her cousins and the idols looked at him with respect twinkling in their eyes, but GD’s—he was still looking at her. “—But I might give you a bad score if you won’t stop staring at me. Be careful you won’t drool.” CL said and the stares went to her.

 

GD seemed to get that the message was for him, boy, he knew how to play along. “It’s just you look like a Queen. You’re challenging the King within me, it’s difficult to resist.”

 

She gave him a scowl, there were no words. So it was mutual, the challenged feeling. “Stop it; you two might end up working together.” YG told the both of them. “No way—you’re a Performing Arts Major as well, Ms. Lee?” G-Dragon asked. “No— I don’t do singing or performing.” She told him in that eerie tone of hers. “I have not yet decided your fate, CL.” YG finished.

 

The President told them to introduce themselves and CL suddenly had the feeling that she was going to like them—an exemption for the leader though.

 

**

 

A few songs later, YG took Lee Chaerin to his office to discuss about the performances. She told him, “The girls would need another member.” She heard Bom, Dara and the young Minzy perform different single arts. Yes, they were good but—“What is the theme for them exactly?”

 

YG leaned on his boss-like chair. “You have to understand one thing about the music world, Ms. Lee, it’s not only about singing your own style, but it is also giving what the people want.” That’s right. “And the people want a female Big Bang.” Now, what is this, stereotyping?

 

“Dara-unnie could be Seungri or Daesung, Bom-unnie could be the lead vocalist which is Taeyang and Minzy could rap.” She was not yet sure, but something was really far-fetched with the number and character of the upcoming group. And, she won’t be using the term ‘oppa’ yet. “But they don’t have a leader.” She was not sure if there will be a female G-Dragon but as far as she was concerned, the three girls couldn’t actually rival the fierce charismatic leader of Big Bang. “I see.” That’s all he said.

 

“Talk to Teddy for me, CL. Tell him the girls would need appropriate songs for their character.” CL stood to go, since it was almost dismissal, “Ms. Lee?”

 

“Go and talk to the girls, maybe you could tell them your views regarding their performances. And—” he took something from a drawer, “give this to Jiyong. Tell him it’s a collab.”

 

 When she closed the door behind her, CL looked at the piece of paper YG gave her. Lollipop?

 

She walked to Studio 13, “What did he say?” Dara jumped at her. CL wasn’t sure if she ever met another like Dara before. “I knew it—I should have hit the note higher.” Bom added. “We are so dead.” Taeyang said before he sprawled unto the floor.  “We survived but we’re still dead.”

 

CL just shrugged, “Big Bang, you were good. It’s just YG wanted you to be better, to never stop improving. He just can’t praise you upfront.” She read through the mask of the President. She knew he was being strict for a reason, he was proud of the boys but he can’t voice it out—it’s either pride or he just wanted them to be better. “Easy for you to say,” Seungri said before he draped an arm around Minzy’s shoulders, “you’re not the one he calls, let you step forward, antagonize you by his look and ends up telling you to grab him a chair.”

 

“Hey! My kidneys burst from mental laughing!” Daesung said as he laughed. “That was so funny.” His younger sister added as she just hit Seungri’s rib to get away from his hold. “You looked like you gave birth, maknae. You should have seen your face.” Seunghyun said as he wrapped his arms on Bom’s waist.

 

“Ha-ha-ha, very funny.” The maknae turned his attention to the guy who was looking at a video camera. “Yah—hyung. What? Are we going to Black V.I.P?”

 

Now that GD entered the scene CL stepped towards him and gave him the paper. “YG says its collab.”

 

Jiyong looked up at her, but she felt like he was actually looking down at her. Weird. “Ah—sure.” And he turned his attention back to the camera. Now wasn’t that a kicker, he actually did not give a damn about her. A moment ago he looked like he wanted to swallow her whole and now he’s ignoring her. She scoffed. “Don’t mind it Chae.” Taeyang voiced. “When Ji’s at work—he’s really at work.”

 

“Not when Vanessa is concerned.” GD replied for her. “Vanessa?” The others asked. “We met at the mall yesterday, she told me her name was Vanessa Park.” He looked at her. “I didn’t know that you’re fond of giving false names on people.”

 

She smiled, oh no, she’s not backing up from this one. “My Mama told me not to talk to strangers.”

 

He stood up and he dwarfed her. She was clearly looked down on. “You clearly don’t remember, don’t you?” CL didn’t know that he was that close, at least until she felt his breath on her skin. So close.

 

She kicked herself back to reality and asked “What?”

 

“Never mind, but now Ms. Lee,” he back away from her and walked to join the others, “you judged us all but we haven’t seen you perform yet. Mind if we ask you to show us something?” She ly to find the rest looking back at her. He was really getting on her nerves. And the next thing she knew;

 

It all came out. She didn’t know where the hell was that from but she was pleased to see that amazed look on his face—not only his but from the others as well. Only one explanation; adrenaline rush could do impossible tricks.

 

She smiled at the girls, “Are you up for pizza? My treat.”

 

A/N: Well, that's as far as I go . . .