Links

Born for the Stage

 

Damn you, Jiyong! Chaerin thought as she looked on the front of the line for the nth time. She was lining up for her favorite coffee and she was running late already. She had skipped dinner last night and she ran out of oatmeal so she had no choice but to line up for coffee at least.

 

The blasted dragon didn’t come. He didn’t even texted! She thought as she grunted on the number of times she looked at her phone in case he sends her a message. But nothing came, and she was late.

 

All of the cafés were packed since it was already in the midst of the rush hour and the café that she was in was actually the nearest to YGSA. And besides, they sell the best coffee. She won’t be eating much on school because of her unwavering focus on the girls so she made it sure that if she has a chance, she would eat out and remind her that her stomach needed to be pleased.

 

Chaerin checked her watch and noticed that she has 30 minutes more from the call time. Adding another set of minutes, YG would be doing his daily rounds – checking on his artists’ progress.

 

She started tapping her fingertips on her bag – like she usually does whenever she’s bored. She puffed her cheeks and looked again. Good, three more people.

 

She was starting to get worried. What if YG decided to do his rounds earlier? What will he say? Damn you for the nth, Kwon Jiyong. She swore that she would let him receive a big hearing from her when she sees him. He didn’t even come to pick her up last night! And it was raining for goodness sakes!

 

Or maybe he didn’t mind her now, especially with Ahn Sohee around to keep him company. He totally forgot about you. CL whispered deep inside her and she doubted if her alter ego was right.

 

She checked her phone for the time and she frowned that another five minutes passed without anybody texting her – that anybody meant Kwon Jiyong of course because worried or not, Jihye and the girls were already flooding her text messages of her whereabouts.

 

She was about to just forget about her coffee when someone passed a cup to her. She didn’t need anyone to tell her the variety because by the smell of it, it was Americano.

 

She looked up to see a shy looking Jay.

 

Her brows frowned and hesitated if she would receive the cup or not. “You’re tapping your fingers again, I presume you’re worried that you’re already late, no?” he asked in English.

 

Her heart was unusually calm and sensing no danger from him, she accepted. “You didn’t put any poison, right?” She curiously asked. Jay took it as a joke so he chuckled. “No. Come on, we’re getting more late with every minute.” This time, he said that in Korean.

 

He led the way and for a moment, she just stared at his back.

 

He just acted like nothing ever happened. Like he was actually trying to build the bridge he so nonchalantly destroyed. So, holding the cup firmly, she let him lead her on – for now.

 

“I saw you enter while I was lining up,” he said when she joined him on his stride. “I decided to save you the further traffic and bought your Americano.” He hesitated for a bit and Chaerin felt him look at her. “I mean, Americano is still your favorite, right? It didn’t change?”

 

Chaerin enjoyed the feel of warmth and roughness of the cup before sighing and replied, “No, it was one thing that didn’t change.”

 

She then thought of the things that changed after he broke her heart. Actually, everything changed. Because who was she kidding, if she won’t make changes, then how will she adapt her condition? That was why she let CL drive for awhile, while she rest on the backseat.

 

Because when Chaerin was obviously vulnerable, CL was strong and would never bow down. That was the reality of who Lee Chaerin really is.

 

She felt his tension when she said those words, but he didn’t back down. Chaerin knew that Jay never backs down, especially on her – even if everything went downhill in between them.

 

They were in the park near the school, and that’s when he stopped and finally faced her with an emotion that was too obvious for her liking. She was used seeing his hardworking face or his cheerful side – but it was the second time that he showed her a part of himself that nobody wanted to see. Jay Park could be serious if he wanted, and this time he was seriously sad and willing to beg for her forgiveness. So she thought. Stars don’t beg. Usually at least.

 

Just when she thought he was going to say something, he turned and started walking again. She felt the awkwardness like silk on her skin and so she cleared and did him a favor on starting the conversation.

 

“So, how is Jessica?” She asked him as she sipped on her favorite coffee. Jay stuffed his hands on his pockets and faced the wonderful heat of the sun overhead. “We broke up.”

 

Chaerin stopped walking and faced him – aghast.

 

“What? How?” She asked before she started walking again to join him.

 

“A few weeks after you and I fought. Guess she can’t really hide her real color for too long.” He said and though he was talking of a break up, Chaerin could feel that he was somewhat relieved that it happened. Now she was getting confused.

 

“Let’s just say that she was just using me to get to the top, eh? She was just all brag and so we broke up.” He explained. “Things were never the same after that. It was like; I was never in love with her in the first place, funny huh?” He said with a chuckle.

 

Jessica was like his biggest crush – why did he let her go just like that? She wanted to ask him why but she held her tongue, they were in YGSA grounds now.

 

They kept the silence until they were in the building where her practice studio was located. She felt him stop and when she looked at him, he was looking at somewhere else she didn’t have the chance to find out. So she turned and continued on walking – trying to see if he would still follow her or not.

 

“Chae?” She heard him and she stopped – but she didn’t turn. “It… It was fun talking to you again, I’m sorry. Really. For everything.” He said and she felt warmth deep inside her. A warmth that she was finally comfortable with. People who knew about what happened will tell her that she just can’t give him her forgiveness that easily. Some would say that he should be on his knees begging while CL give him a taste of pure iness.

 

But this was Chaerin he was facing, and he was lucky. For the past months, she had forgotten the bitterness that nested on her soul. Her heart no longer bore the hatred that rotted her but a new ray of emotions and passions so deep had set a new branding on her.

 

A smile formed on her lips and she turned like she was lighter than anything else. Like there were no more grudges inside her. Like CL was finally under shade and let Chaerin drive.

 

“It’s okay now, oppa.” She raised her cup like she was making a cheer, “Thanks for the coffee!” He watched her turn and into the building – noticing how she grew so much since the last time he saw her.

 

The last time was when he made things clear between them. When he made the worst mistake of breaking her heart because he thought she was harm towards Jessica. But when he saw tears flowing down her face, he thought that he had nothing to actually fix her and so he broke her more in attempt to finish their friendship so she could hate him forever.

 

To hate him in exchange for breaking her heart. And that was one of his biggest wrongs because without her, his world became a slight mess.

 

The last time he saw her, she was merely a little sister to him – that’s why he never acknowledge her attraction but now, as she walked towards her own deal, he sees her as someone his match. Finally, you grew up so much, Chaerin.

 

He smiled before turning again to the window on the second floor. He met with a pair of fierce eyes. Fierce enough to show the anger and jealousy that the owner was feeling. Jay’s smile turned into a taunting smirk as he saluted the other guy on the second floor.

 

Looks like someone had marked Chaerin as his then, He thought as he turned to go to his own schedule. Jay then thought that that guy on the second floor was familiar.

 

Oh yeah, Jay thought as he remembered that particular day. It was one of the most unforgettable moments of his life anyways. Oh yeah, G-Dragon. Jay then smiled amusingly, Boy, you really do keep an interesting circle of friends, Chaerin.

 

He was G-Dragon alright. After all, who would forget the man who kicked him off his throne?

 

**

 

“Yo, Bae.” Seunghyun called as he approached Youngbae with Daesung and Seungri tailing him. “Yes, hyung?” Youngbae stopped from his dancing and faced Big Bang’s eldest.

 

“What’s wrong with GD? He’s been acting like the unusual control freak that he never was.” Top said as he sighed before looking at both leaders who were clearing the tracks. “Hyung has been acting weird these past few days, but today is a little bit different.” Daesung said as he rubbed his arm.

 

“Yeah, and if you’d look closely, you could actually see the black cloud on top of his crowned head.” Seungri added before grunting. “Aigoo, you and your imagination, maknae.” Top added before looking at their leader’s right hand who was actually contemplating on their words.

 

Youngbae just let them talk because truth to be told, he had no idea what was happening either.

 

Jiyong made sure he was keeping his temper in hold.

 

Nobody was actually treating the cute Lollipop song seriously. The girls were chatting and trying to clear the ‘hard’ choreography while their leader talked to him.

 

Okay, he should be honest. He was trying to keep his temper while Chaerin was trying to clear parts with him along with some choreography polishing. But he can’t get his head clear with his thoughts in a big jumble. All he could register were voices and he couldn’t separate one from the other.

 

And along with those voices, scenes played along. Scenes of him and Sohee talking about his connection with the girl in front of him now; and along those sceneries, flashbacks of Chaerin and Jay Park played on his head endlessly.

 

Last night was already a big punch on his heart when he saw another man taking care of his Hunchae like that. It was supposed to be his job to take his jacket off to shelter her from the rain – his job until he came in late and saw her with Jay Park.

 

It was supposed to be his job too to bring her to school with him – his job before he was eaten by his ego and let it persuade him that he should ignore her until she comes begging for his attention. But no. at the bitter end it was still him who was hurt because, honest to goodness – it wasn’t part of his job description to fall in love with his ward.

 

So he should keep his distance. But he can’t help it. Jealousy was a flaw in his concentration. G-Dragon and Jiyong both disturbed by the uneasiness inside him that he didn’t notice Chaerin waving her hand in front of him.

 

“Oppa.” She asked before he snapped out, “Oppa, are you even listening?” Her irritation was quite evident on her words. “If you’re done spacing out then I’ll catch up with the girls in the cafeteria. I’m famished!” Chaerin grunted before walking towards the door.

 

She was quite aware he was living his own world at that moment but what irked her was the fact that she does not know what was occupying his mind. She was already mad at him for ditching her earlier and she was in no mood to play along with his mind games.

 

“Chae, wait!” He shouted before she even had her hand on the door knob. She faced him and was surprised to him quite flushed. “Um, I need to ask you something.” He asked with an unusual nervousness on his throat.

 

Chaerin raised her brow and asked him to say whatever he meant to say. “You’re free tonight?” Jiyong asked he made a show to scratch his nape because if he won’t, he was certain he would nail bite again – like he does whenever he’s nervous or bored.

 

She crossed her arms on her chest and said “This is a surprise. It’s unlikely for you to ask me something like that especially after your ditched me earlier. It could have caused me my credibility as a leader if I came later than I already was!”

 

Oh, please. You enjoyed being late. Jiyong thought before he sighed and decided it was his ego thinking. “It slipped my mind okay!” He said without noticing that he sounded more desperate than he planned to be.

 

“Yeah, whatever.” She brushed him off and opened the door. She purposely sashayed away from him as she felt him follow her like a dumb puppy.

 

She wasn’t usually this type of nut who was really hard to crack whenever provoked. But what can she do? All that she could think of was him pasting himself with his seriously nice ex – an ex she couldn’t imagine out running.

 

“Chae, I’m sorry – I’m sorry about earlier and last night!” He begged as she checked her nails – looking anything but interested. “Look, let me make it up to you by buying you drinks later. Come on, my treat! Top hyung and I will be performing tonight and everybody will be there!”

 

So am I the last to know then? She thought as she considered the pros and cons if she gave in. She doesn’t want to give in. But the ice in her heart was beginning to melt as he showed the cute part of himself.

 

But if she’d go – then that meant she’ll have to make herself ogle – front seat at that – at him and his awfully nice ex as they laugh and talk whatever is on under the disco lights.

 

“Chae, please?” She sighed as he blocked her way at the cafeteria door. “I’ll make it up to you—”

 

“Okay, fine!” Chaerin answered quickly as she waved him away. “But you’re buying me lunch as well.” She smiled at him as she allowed him to open the doors for him.

 

“Okay, okay! Chaerin-ah, saranghae!!” He immediately hugged her as he heard her say that it was all fine. She squealed in surprise before saying “Yeah, yeah – now let go of me!”

 

Jiyong was all smiles as he nestled more on the crook of her neck. Chaerin was also keeping her grin in check – making sure she won’t look like a fool in love.

 

But really, not one of them wants to let go.

 

Of course, until –someone had to pull them apart.

 

“Jiyong!” A feminine voice pulled them apart as he looked at the girl who was smiling and waving at them. “Oh, Sohee.” He said with the same smile.

 

Chaerin forced a smile and looked away

 

“Yo, Chae!” She let go of Jiyong and immediately faced Jay Park. “Oh, oppa – I didn’t know we had the same lunch hour break.” Chaerin smiled.

 

Jay looked passed her and saw that her companion – Kwon Jiyong, just pulled a frown so deep it would reach the floor. “Um, no. My lunch break is still an hour away but my sister kept on whining about how hungry she was.”

 

Chaerin frowned as she asked, “You have a sister?” Jay nodded. “My dad remarried a few months ago in Japan, so I sorta had myself an instant step-sister.”

 

“Um, Chae – I’m hungry. Let’s go now.” Jiyong whispered on Chaerin before she looked at him and said, “You can go first, Oppa. You can order anything for me.” She smiled before she turned back.

 

Jiyong just grunted and wondered how important Jay Park could be for her to dismiss him just like that. So, not allowing himself to lose, he didn’t go but allowed himself to stay behind her and did not say anything.

 

“Oh, so she’s studying here in YGSA?” She asked at Jay again, conscious of Jiyong’s presence behind her. “Yeah – actually she’s over there.” Jay said before he pointed at a girl who was staring at them a few tables away.

 

Chaerin particularly did not like the smirk that was plastered on Jay Parks’ sister’s face. It was a smirk full of bad signs. As bad as the fake KTZ shirt she was wearing.

 

Now, Kiko Mizuhara-Park really does not know when to give up does she?

 

 

A/N: I am really really sorry if it took me forever to update but here it is, I hope this makes it up XD I know, I know -- as always I ended up in a clincher but I hope you stay tuned to the continuation of this story because even though I rarely update this I am planning to end this (and SECONDHAND LOVE) soon before the next school year comes and kills the rest of me. Anyway -- toodles :)