Chapter 1 - Love at First Sight

The Angel of Death Falls in Love

Without death there can be no life. My vocation is to collect dead souls along with my fellow death angels. We ferry them to the gates of heaven where they will be judged. I am Donghae, the Archangel of Death. My existence isn’t just surrounded by death. It is death. Death by car crash. Death by murder. Death by drowning. Death by natural causes. I fly around the world everyday and all I see is death. My routine is simple. Someone dies. I pick them up. I ferry their souls off to heaven.

 

~Eunhyuk~

“BEIJING FRIED RICE! I MISSED YOU!” I jumped onto Hangeng and he nearly fell over. Hangeng is my best friend. We had been together since 3rd grade when he moved to Korea, however he moved back to China last year because he wanted to spend more time with his family.

“WHAT?!?!? Who is this? What are you doing?” My best friend's face was priceless. I was proud with myself.

“Hey! Don't you recognise your best friend?” I pouted.

“Hey monkey boy! What you doing here? What happened to work? Who is looking after your dance studio?” I grinned.

“You worry too much. I haven't seen you in a while so I decided to come and give you a surprise visit! I missed you sooo much! Plus Shindong is looking after my dance studio for me. After all he also helps me run it! You are so silly!” I yawned tiredly. I was too excited last night that I didn't end up getting much sleep.

“Why don't you go back to your hotel and sleep? You look tired.” I nodded and started walking with Hangeng towards the hotel I am staying at. We started to catch up on each other’s lives as we walked.

*SIRENS*

Fire trucks raced past us towards a burning building in the distance. I looked up and saw smoke and red flames. I should probably go back to the hotel because I was tired but there was something about the fire that captured me. I was curious. I just had to get closer.

“Beijing Fried Rice let’s check it out!” Hangeng gave out a sigh and followed suit.

I ran and ran while Hangeng was being dragged behind me. I didn't want to miss anything. The burning building became closer and closer, it also became hotter and hotter. I was wearing a hoodie and jeans. The heat was unbearable. I took off my hoodie leaving me with only my singlet and jeans. It still wasn't enough. Sweat quickly soaked my singlet and clung onto my skin. Hangeng also seemed to be overheating. He too now wore a singlet and shorts. We watched the burning building in shock along with other bystanders, it was a disaster. Screams could be heard but suddenly it all seemed to be drowned out.

While watching the blaze of fire I felt a cold chill run down my spine and my heart was beating rapidly. It felt like someone just touched my heart. I felt a presence behind me. It felt like someone was watching me. I turned my head left and right, back and forth and found nothing. I was disappointed. Just what was that feeling just now? I looked at Hangeng and he looked at me strangely.

“Is there something wrong?” I shook my head.

“No, I just thought that someone was watching me. Anyway let’s head back to my hotel. I'm tired and it's getting late.”
 

~Donghae~

“Donghae, there is a burning building in China. There have been reports of some dead. Go pick them up.”

“Roger that Siwon. I’ll head out now!”

I grabbed my black cloak and finished pulling out ruined feathers from my black wings. I had some work to do. I plummeted down towards Earth. I could never get tired of the thrill I get from falling. Suddenly I started feeling a strange new sensation surge through my body. I felt an attraction for the first time in six millennia. Even my wife didn’t hold as much power over me. My heart was racing. I had trouble focusing on my task. I couldn’t even fly straight! This presence was all I could feel and I haven’t even identified it yet! This was something entirely new, and I liked it.

When I got to the burning building I found who was responsible for this strange sensation. His name was Lee Hyukjae and he took my breath away. I could see that even without having ever taken a breath. The heat from the fire had forced him to remove several articles of clothing. He was just in skinny jeans and a black singlet. He was staring at the burning building and I was tempted to reveal myself to him. His hot body was covered in sweat which was enough to make me drool. Though obviously I couldn’t, I am an angel after all. His red hair radiated more brightly than the fire itself. He was just... perfect.

Struck by his presence, I couldn’t lose him; I slipped a tracer into his soul so that I could find him later. However he seemed to have noticed my presence. I had no choice except to do what I had come to do. I was working after all. I started to convey the dead people from the burning building back to heaven. I can always come back after work and watch Hyukjae now that I can locate him whenever I wanted.

I looked at my list to see who I had to claim:
- 8 Dead
- 4 Dying

I had a lot of work cut out for me. I looked back to where Hyukjae was but he was gone. I sighed and continued to do my work. I may love coming down to Earth but going back up is always horrible. Handling souls actually requires a lot of work. SIWON I HATE YOU! I thought. Then again if it wasn't for Siwon I would never have met my Hyukjae.

I spent the next hour picking up and dragging the dead 8 souls and ferrying them back to heaven to be judged. I prayed that everyone is able to enter into heaven. By the time I had ferried the 8th dead soul, the 4 dying souls had died and I had to drag them back up too.

One of the last souls however was afraid to leave Earth behind. He refused to leave his body when I tried pulling him out. I looked up the soul in my Book of the Dead and the name Ryeowook appeared, he seemed really attached to the world. Spiritual chains were wrapped around his body. Not a good sign. I decided to show myself to him.

“I am the Archangel of Death, Donghae. Don’t be afraid. What is wrong Ryeowook? Do you not want to go to heaven?” I hate counselling souls into leaving Earth. I would say it’s is the worst part of being the Archangel of Death.

“Why do I have to leave? I love it here! I am too young to die! Please let me live.” It was always the same. Some people just couldn’t accept that it was time to leave. Nevertheless, you cannot negotiate with death.

“Sorry, you cannot bargain with death. Don’t worry heaven is a million times better than Earth. Trust me.” I encouraged.

We exchanged some talk for another hour before I could finally drag him up to heaven too. I was finally done with my assignment. I wondered what Hyukjae was doing right now. I decided to activate my tracer and went off to find him.

 

COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE

 

Wow chapter 1 finished xD 5:50am... I feel like I finally got this chapter perfect enough to be seen by others. I hope everyone enjoys reading it. Please comment on what you think T.T Otherwise I will think this writing is ABSOLUTELY horrible. Please also tell me what I can improve on and stuff. This is after all my very first fanfiction EVER.