Round 28

Personal Differences

Round Twenty-Eight

 

It was in the middle of the night when she was awakened by his voice. She opened her eyes a tiny crack to look at him. He wasn’t awake for his eyes were squeezed shut. She blinked her eyes as they adjusted to the darkness and she saw more of his face. What she saw worried her for his face was contorted in a mixture of pain and fear. Beads of perspiration had formed on his forehead and they glistened slightly under the pale moonlight.

 

“N-Nooo..oooo… Nooo… please…. no… don’t!” he whimpered. Then he flinched and jerked.

 

It was a disturbing sight. She clasped his face in her hands and called him softly.

 

“Taetae? Are you having a nightmare? Taetae?”

 

He did not hear her. Instead, he trembled under her touch fearfully and frantically swatted her hands away in fear. “Nooo… I beg you… please…. no…. don’t…”

 

A single tear rolled down his cheek and that’s when Tiffany decided that she had to take to extreme measures to wake him up. She sat up and shook his shoulders violently.

 

“TAENG!!! WAKE UP!!!” she hollered.

 

His eyes flew open and he sat up straight in an instant. His eyes were still full of fear and they scanned the room wildly as he tried to get his bearings. Then he realized that it was Tiffany who was beside him.

 

“T-Tiff-ffany…” he whispered hoarsely.

 

She hugged him tightly, rubbing her hands up and down his back in an attempt to comfort him. “It’s alright. It was just a nightmare Taeng…just a nightmare. Go back to sleep.”

 

Taeng swallowed hard. He knew that it was a nightmare but what Tiffany didn’t know was that everything that he had dreamt of had actually happened before. His nightmare was made up of actual events that had happened to him in the past; and that was why his nightmare would be exactly the same each time he dreamt it.

 

~~~~~
 

The sun shone brilliantly and warmed everything in its path, including Taeng and Tiffany. Tiffany stirred again but this time, it was morning. Tiffany smiled to herself. Waking up in the arms of Taeng felt so good; and so, so right. If she wasn’t sure about her decision before, she could be sure of it now—her choice was right. She kissed his chest through his t-shirt and giggled at the bulge in his boxers.

 

Oh Taeng… you are so adorable! She giggled some more as she recalled the events that occurred last night.

 

~

It was a good ten minutes before she managed to stop laughing and even then, it was because her stomach hurt too much to continue. She looked at him and felt her heart melting for him. It was an incredible feeling.

 

“Why are you covering me up Taetae?”

 

Taeng blushed at her intimate way of addressing him.

 

“I-If I keep on seeing your –gulp-… I-I can’t… mmm… My… ‘best friend’ will not be able to… calm down…” His eyes avoided hers shyly. “Please don’t think that I’m a ert.”

 

“But you are a ert.” Tiffany .

 

“I-I’m n-not!” Taeng stammered.

 

“Taetae, it’s alright. Really. I don’t mind you being a ert on me at all.” Tiffany’s sparkled with mischief.

 

“R-Really? Y-You don’t mind it at all?” Taeng asked in surprise.

 

“Taetae, if it were any other guy, I wouldn’t be okay with it. But since it’s you…” Tiffany grinned from ear to ear.

 

“Ooo…” Taeng felt immensely relieved.

 

Tiffany yawned and looked at her watch. “It’s really late and I’m too tired to drive home. Can I stay over for the night?”

 

Taeng couldn’t believe his ears. “WHAT?”

 

“Can… I… Stay… Over… For… The… Night…?” Tiffany enunciated each and every word loudly and clearly.

 

Taeng simply blinked. “E-Er… I can drive you home.”

 

“What? With your injured leg?! No way. I’m not letting you drive me home when you’re still injured.” Tiffany refused firmly.

 

“Uh… o-okay then… you can sleep on my bed and I’ll sleep on the couch.”

 

“No, I’ll sleep on the couch. You and your injured leg need a proper bed to rest on.”

 

“NO!” Taeng spoke a little too loudly, making Tiffany jump in her skin a little. “Uh… sorry… but no, I’m not letting you sleep on the couch. How can I let you sleep on the couch?! I’m the man… so you should get the bed. My leg will be fine on the couch.”

 

And they went on, both insisting that they sleep on the couch until Tiffany had enough of it.

 

“Fine, we’ll both sleep on the bed.”

 

“WHAT?!” Taeng exclaimed.

 

“Calm down for goodness sakes. It’s not like it’s the first time we’ve slept together anyway,” Tiffany reasoned calmly.

 

Taeng blushed a deep crimson red immediately as he recalled that first time he had ended up sleeping with Tiffany unknowingly at the resort and how he felt when he realized that he had been hugging her leg in his sleep.

 

“B-But…” he stuttered.

 

“Sleep. In. Bed. Both. Of. Us.” Tiffany spoke firmly and there was no room for anymore argument.


~
 

Her giggles were like the world’s most beautiful alarm ringtone. His eyes opened gradually, taking in the light a little at a time, adjusting to the new level of brightness.

 

“Good morning Taetae.” A husky, y voice greeted him and he became aware of the tent in his boxers.

 

He shrieked in a manly way and covered his nether region with a pillow. “I’m sorry about that.” He flushed in embarrassment.

 

Tiffany giggled girlishly. “It’s alright Taetae… were you dreaming about me?” Her eyes twinkled.

 

His cheeks turned redder. “I think so…” he mumbled.

 

“Then it’s alright.” Tiffany flashed a very bright smile.

 

~~~~~
 

He watched as the baby blue box glided over the tablecloth back to him. This would be the second time he got his ring back. He sighed deeply. Why did fate have to play with his feelings so? Why couldn’t he ever marry the only girl he’s ever wanted? Why did it have to be thus? Why?

 

She was extremely solemn as she looked deep into his eyes with sadness engulfing the both of them. Neither person spoke for a long time. They simply held their gaze steady, communicating all of their apologies, sadness, regrets and utter resignation to the twist of fate silently. There was nothing left to say. He had said it all. She didn’t trust herself to speak. And so it was in silence that he accepted the ring, put it into his pocket and stood up to leave with the saddest smile on his face.

 

She was lost to him… forever.

 

“Goodbye Tiffany. I’m not sure if I will ever have the courage to look at you again but I would like for us to remain friends, if that’s okay.” He finally spoke.

 

“Friends… I would like that too,” she said quietly.

 

He nodded, turned and left. There was nothing she could do but sigh.

 

~~~~~

 

“I’m off guys! See you tomorrow!” Sunny announced loudly in the office, mostly for Yoong’s benefit.

 

Sungmin and the guys waved goodbye to her, a little surprised that she was leaving so early but they made no comment on it. Yoong on the other hand was not happy about it. He knew that she was going to her oppa’s place and he had no idea who it was. This mystery oppa better keep his hands to himself or else… He sighed. What was he thinking… what could he possibly do if he didn’t even know who her oppa was?

 

~~~~~
 

“Oppa!” Sunny greeted him cheerfully.

 

He smiled widely at her and they hugged briefly.

 

“Come in! Thanks for your help Sunny. I wouldn’t know what to do if you didn’t help me.”

 

Sunny giggled. “Oppa… don’t be so polite with me.”

 

He grinned and ruffled her hair affectionately. “I’m not that polite with you.”

 

“Oppa!” Sunny grumbled and tried to pat her hair back into neatness.

 

~~~~~

 

“… and so… you fold it this way… then that way...follow what I do…”

 

Sunny patiently instructed him on what to do. She demonstrated once and had him do it after her. It took a while but he finally got it.

 

“YES!!! I finally got it!” His grin was infectious and Sunny found herself grinning along with him.

 

“Oppa… are you sure you can get all that done by the end of the week?”

 

“I don’t have a choice. I just have to do it a little faster and maybe… sleep less this week.”

 

“You are really awesome oppa.”

 

“HAHA… you’re pretty awesome yourself Sunny ah.”

 

“Are you sure you don’t want me to help you to do some of it?”

 

“No, I have to do this all by myself for it to be meaningful.”

 

“I wish you all the best then.”

 

“Thanks, I definitely need it.”

 

“Is there anything else you need help with?”

 

“Oh yes, there is.”

 

“And what is it?”

 

“I need you to go shopping with me.”

 

“SHOPPING?!” Sunny laughed in disbelief.

 

“Yes, but not for clothes or those things. I need you to help me pick out a beautiful—you know…without it…I can’t proceed.”

 

“Ahhh… That kind of shopping. Sure! I’ll be glad to help.”

 

“Can we go tomorrow?”

 

“Sure!”

 

“Great.” He flashed the most charming grin and Sunny felt her heart flutter for a split second.

 

~~~~~

 

Jessica was a little perplexed. She called Yul’s phone a number of times but he didn’t answer. Then she called his office, thinking that perhaps he was too busy to notice his phone buzzing only to find out that he had left the office on the dot which was highly unusual for Yul.

 

Where is Yul?

 

~~~~~
 

He was on the verge of fuming mad when he called her for what he promised himself would be the last time that night. She had not answered any of his calls or replied to any of his text messages and his imagination was getting the better of him from the lack of assurance.

 

Just as he was about to hang up and be officially mad at her, she answered.

 

“Yoong!” Her voice was extra chirpy.

 

“Why didn’t you answer my calls and messages?” He tried to curb his anger.

 

“I’m sorry… I set it to silent mode in the office and it’s been silent all this time.”

 

“Where are you now?”

 

“Er… I’m… at oppa’s place…” Sunny spoke in a small voice. She had a feeling that Yoong would not be happy to hear that and she was right.

 

“Sunny, you left the office at six. The time now is ten. It’s been four hours Sunny.” Yoong was almost livid.

 

“I know… it’s just that oppa needs my help with some things.”

 

“What kind of things Sunny?” Young spoke through clenched teeth.

 

Sunny took offense to the way he questioned. “Yoong, why are you using that tone on me? Don’t you trust me?”

 

“Oh I trust you. It’s him that I don’t trust.”

 

“But you don’t even know him!”

 

“MY POINT EXACTLY!” Yoong yelled out in anger and frustration.

 

“Yoong, please trust me. I’m not doing anything wrong.”

 

“Sunny, I’m your boyfriend, am I not?”

 

“Yes you are.” Sunny didn’t like the tone he took on now. it was…domineering.

 

“Then I want you to leave his place right now.”

 

“Yoong…” Sunny tried to use some aegyo to diffuse the situation but to no avail. He was officially pissed off.

 

“Leave his place. NOW.” Yoong spoke in a low, threatening tone.

 

Sunny found herself on the verge of tears. “Yoong, please…don’t be like this.”

 

“Now. Or I’m going to be really mad at you Sunny.”

 

Sunny hung her head low. She didn’t want Yoong to be mad at her. “Fine, if that’s what you really want. I’ll leave now.”

 

“Good. I’ll come by and pick you up. What’s the address?” Yoong sounded a little more pacified.

 

“I can’t tell you.” Sunny was close to tears. “I’ll get home by myself Yoong.”

 

“Fine, I’ll wait for you at your place.”

 

“Yoo—” Sunny found herself talking to a dead tone. He had hung up on her. She walked back to where her oppa was seated, focusing on his task. “Oppa, I’m sorry but I’ve got to go now.”

 

He looked at the clock and gasped. “Yes you should. I’m sorry for keeping you with me till this late.”

 

Sunny smiled and shook her head. “Oppa, don’t be so polite with me.”

 

He laughed. “Alright, alright, do you need me to send you home?”

 

Sunny panicked. If he sent her home, Yoong would see him and get really mad.

 

“Er no, no, no. I’ll be fine going home by myself.”

 

“Alright then. I’ll get you a cab.”

 

“Thanks oppa.”

 

~~~~~

 

Yul finally answered her call.

 

“Yul, where have you been?”

 

“Sorry baby, I was busy at work.”

 

Jessica raised her eyebrows. He was lying. She decided to probe him a little.

 

“Are you still at the office Yul?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Oh… Are you very busy right now?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Jessica frowned. What’s up with all his one-word answers and why was he lying about where he was?

 

“Call me when you’re done, okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Bye Yul.”

 

“Bye baby.”

 

Jessica looked at her phone. Why did Yul lie about his whereabouts? Where in the world was he? And why didn’t he answer her calls until now?

 

A tiny evil thought crept into her mind and the two sides of her mind began jousting with one another.

 

NO! Yul wouldn’t cheat on me.

 

But he was lying to you just a moment ago.

 

Maybe he has a good reason for lying.

 

That ‘good’ reason could be that he’s cheating on you.

 

HE IS NOT CHEATING ON ME!

 

That’s what all deluded girlfriends think when the truth is so plain to see.

 

SHUT UP! SHUT THE HECK UP!

 

Ah… that’s what they all say when they know that I’m right.

 

Jessica buried her face in her pillow. Was Yul really cheating on her? Was he going to dump her like all the rest did? Is that why he asked her to move back home? A single drop of tear rolled down her cheek. Then another thought struck her. She had misunderstood him before. What if this was all a misunderstanding?

 

I will give him a chance. I shall stake out his office tomorrow and see what he’s up to for myself.

 

And with that thought, she felt a whole lot better.

~~~~~
 

He managed to calm himself down a little by the time Sunny arrived home in a cab. She got out of the cab and walked towards him hesitantly. He saw the anxiousness in her eyes and felt his heart soften a little more.

 

“Yoong, I’m sorry…” Sunny looked rather downcast as she stood in front of him, looking smaller than usual.

 

“Sunny, I’m not happy about you spending so much time at an oppa’s place when it’s just you and him.”

 

“Yoong…” Sunny looked at him dolefully.

 

“Promise me that you won’t do this again.”

 

Sunny’s heart sank. She had to go shopping with her oppa tomorrow and it was important. “I can’t promise you that.”

 

Yoong’s eyes hardened. “Why not?”

 

Sunny inhaled deeply to brace herself. “I am meeting him tomorrow again.”

 

“TOMORROW? AGAIN? AT HIS PLACE?” Yoong raised his voice at her.

 

“No, no, we will be outside…at the malls.”

 

“Why does this sound suspiciously like a date to me?”

 

“Yoong, it is not a date. I’m really just helping him with something but I can’t say what it is I’m helping with.”

 

Yoong snorted. “Yeah, and neither can you tell me who he is. This whole thing sounds like a scam.”

 

“Oppa is an upright person. He is a gentleman. He won’t do anything to me.”

 

“How can you be so sure?”

 

Sunny bit her tongue. She was on the verge of rebutting him but that would give her oppa’s identity away to Yoong. Yoong took her silence as admittance that she couldn’t be sure.

 

“That’s what I thought. You can’t be sure…can you?”

 

“Yoong, please, just trust me on this one.” Sunny begged.

 

Yoong looked at her long and hard and eventually, her puppy eyes got the better of him. He sighed resignedly.

 

“Alright.”

 

Sunny smiled and hugged him gladly. “Thanks for trusting me Yoong, even though it may be difficult for you to do that.”

 

Yoong wrapped his arms around the petite woman and kissed the top of her head. “It’s difficult for me to trust a mysterious guy but yes I do trust you.”

 

Sunny looked up at him with her glistening puppy eyes and he lowered his lips onto hers most tenderly.

~~~~~