Round 1

Personal Differences

 

Hyun walked towards the club, crinkling his nose in disgust. He never did like the smell of cigarettes which engulfed the entire entrance of the club. He had to make his way through the smokers who crowded round the entrance to smoke since smoking was prohibited inside. He made his way inside as quickly as he could whilst holding his breath and headed straight for the VIP area, which was Young’s usual spot. He would not step into this club normally but Young always insisted on meeting here.

 

He squeezed his way through the packed-like-sardines bar area and was heading towards the stairs that led to the VIP area upstairs when he saw Young standing up abruptly. The two girls beside him got up and left.

 

“Is he leaving this early?” he uttered in disbelief, “That’s impossible!”

 

~~~~~

 

“Oh my gawd. She’s way too hot to be left alone and way too cute to not be teased.”

 

“Hnnnggg, Young ssi... which girl are you talking about? You haven’t even looked at us once,” whined the girl on his left.

 

“Opps. Did I say that out loud? I didn’t realize I did. Sorry ladies, I’ll give you my undivided attention n—”

 

He couldn’t complete his sentence. His attention had fallen back on the hot cutie who was doing an incredibly slow and y body wave, educing wolf-whistles from the surrounding guys who were dying to get their hands on her. The girls figured that he was a lost cause and got up in a huff. They strutted down the stairs, in search of more appreciative guys.

 

Young moved to the glass railing and leaned on the metallic handrail. His eyes were fixated on the hot blonde cutie with the dangerous curves and dangerous moves. All of a sudden, he found himself making eye contact with her. Her friend had nudged her and pointed up towards the VIP area. She then looked up and noticed him staring at her. She looked straight into his eyes and held his gaze for a moment before smirking at him and turning away, ignoring him completely.

 

No way. That’s a challenge. Oh my gawd… a hot blonde cutie just dared me to get her!

 

The player in him was eager to play the game. “I don’t know what your name is, but I swear on my next two dinners that I’m gonna get you tonight,” he declared loudly to himself.

 

“Wow. Two dinners?! That girl must be a total babe. You wouldn’t even risk a bowl of rice for anything, shikshin hyung.”

 

Young turned towards the intruder and flashed him a confident grin. “That’s how confident I am of getting her tonight, Hyun. Anyway, speak for yourself. You wouldn’t even risk half a goguma on a sure win bet, goguma shin,” he replied, bantering with his pal.

 

Hyun shrugged his shoulders. “Well, I’m not the one betting my food on girls. I’ll just sit here. Go get her hyung.”

 

Young grinned confidently. “Watch and learn dongsaeng, watch and learn.”

 

~~~~~

 

She could feel his hot gaze scorching her from behind. She knew that he had come down from the VIP area because Hyoyeon was looking more excited than ever.

 

Too bad… you’re not gonna get me tonight, no matter what game you play.

 

She smirked and did an extra y wave just to be naughty.

 

“Sunny!” hissed Hyoyeon. “He’s right behind you now!”

 

True enough, she felt his warm hands on her shoulders and his body heat warmed her up as he began gyrating to the beat with her. His hands slid down her arms slowly and onto her waist which he held onto lightly, pulling her closer to him.

 

She turned around suddenly and placed her palm on his chest firmly. He grinned at her touch but the grin faded into nothing as she pushed him away lightly and danced away from him. He didn’t give up.

 

“Why dance alone when you can dance with me?”

 

The whisper tickled her ear.

 

She turned to him and replied, “I’m in the mood to dance solo tonight.”

 

“You’re a naughty one aren’t you? You know perfectly well that your moves are setting all the guys on fire tonight and that includes me.”

 

She smiled brightly, instantly looking like a cute and innocent girl-next-door.

 

“Last I heard… being naughty is neither a crime nor a sin.” Then she unleashed the most devilish wink at him and kissed his cheek lightly. “See you around, tall, dark and handsome, I have to go now.”

 

He his dry lips as she turned around and walked out of the crowded dance floor. He raised his voice over the loud, booming music to reach her ears.

 

“At least tell me your name!”

 

“It’s Sunny!” she yelled as she left the dance floor, with Hyoyeon behind her.

 

“Sunny.” He repeated her name to himself. “I hope to see you again real soon.”

 

~~~~~

 

“I guess you’re going to have to go hungry for two dinners, hyung.” Hyun grinned widely and shook slightly from restraining his laughter. “She completely blew you off! What happened to our player of all players?!”

 

“I’ll pay myself back in interest-free installments. We’re still meeting for dinner tomorrow, Hyun. Besides, didn’t you see? She kissed me.” Young smirked smugly.

 

“ON THE CHEEK! HA HA HA!” Hyun collapsed onto the sofa, laughing his guts out. “That’s an epic fail for a player like you, hyung.”

 

Young shrugged. “A kiss is a kiss—no matter where it is given.” He patted his chest confidently. “Besides, I think she likes me but had to leave. Given a few more minutes with her, I’d be bringing her up here to meet you.”

 

“Whatever you say, hyung, ha ha ha…” Hyun was still tickled pink by Young’s failure.

 

“Did Yoong call you today?” Young tried to change the subject as he was getting irritated at Hyun laughing at his expense.

 

“Yes. He said that he’ll be back in two weeks. He also mentioned something about an engagement with a girl. He didn’t sound too happy about it though.”

 

“WHAT?! AN ENGAGEMENT?! WITH A GIRL?! WHO IS IT?!” Young’s eyes opened wide in horror. There would be no one left to play with him if Yoong got hitched.

 

“Calm down, hyung. It’s not happening yet. He’s only meeting the girl’s family for dinner when he’s back. Besides, I think he’s trying to postpone it or something but his own parents are adamant about going to that dinner apparently.”

 

“Nooo…. this can’t be happening…” groaned Young as he dragging his hands down his face.

 

~~~~~

 

“Tif, please help me…” pleaded Jessica. “I need a man and I need one in two weeks!”

 

“Jessi, there are plenty of guys lining up to date you,” said Tiffany while looking through a concept proposal file, “so just pick one and date him. You can always break up with him after two weeks.”

 

“I can’t!” Jessica sighed dejectedly. “I have already thought of that but these guys are in the same social circles as me. News will get out that we have broken up and my mum will set me up with another guy in no time.” She fiddled with the sheets on her bed and stared at the ceiling. “I need a guy who comes from a different circle from me. He just needs to make a few appearances and convince my mum that we’re dating happily.”

 

“Where in the world are you going to find a guy who’s willing to pretend to date you?!”

 

Tiffany heard a knock on her door. She looked up and saw her new personal assistant standing by the door, holding a file. She signaled him to wait.

 

“Jessi, I’m really busy right now. I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

 

“Nooo… please say you’ll help me…” pleaded Jessica in a whiny voice, “You don’t want to see me getting engaged to Yoong, do you?”

 

Tiffany pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed into her phone. “Okay… okay, I’ll help you. I can’t guarantee anything though.”

 

“Tif, I wouldn’t know what to do with you!” Jessica gave Tiffany a kiss over the phone and hung up.

 

Tiffany looked at her phone and sighed.

 

Now where would I find guys who have no connections to you?

 

She shook her head as she gestured for Taeng to sit down. He placed the file on her desk. “You need to sign that document so that the finance department can release the funds for our event this weekend.”

 

Tiffany scanned the document and nodded. She signed it and slid the file back to Taeng. All of a sudden, a brainwave hit her right between her eyes. She blinked and stared at Taeng.

 

Taeng could be Jessi’s fake boyfriend!

 

Then just as quickly as the idea struck, she dismissed it. Nah, he’s shorter than Jessi. That wouldn’t do…

 

Taeng wondered why Tiffany was staring at him. He shifted in his seat, feeling a little nervous.

 

“Ahem.” He cleared his throat uncomfortably. “If there’s nothing else, I’ll get back to work.”

 

As he stood up to leave, Tiffany stretched her palm out towards him. “Hold on. I need your help with something.”

 

Taeng sat down again and looked at her in puzzlement.

 

Tiffany took a deep breath. “Do you have any good looking friends? Male friends, I mean.”

 

Taeng looked at Tiffany, stunned. “Good looking male friends?” At that very moment, Yul’s face popped into his mind. Yul had always been known for his good looks. All through high school and college, he’d been the boy that every girl desired with every atom of her body. “Erm, actually… I do have a very handsome friend, but may I know what this is about?”

 

Tiffany perked up instantly and broke into a wide smile that turned her eyes into twinkling crescent moons. Taeng’s jaw dropped. He was absolutely charmed by her smile. She’s so pretty!

 

“Taeng, my friend is in a fix and she needs a guy to pretend to be her boyfriend. She is being forced to be engaged to a guy that she doesn’t like and she’s trying to get out of it.”

 

Taeng was kind of stunned by the proposal. “Forced marriages still exist in this day and age?!” He was shocked. “I thought these things only happen in dramas.”

 

Tiffany waved her hand at Taeng dismissively. “You wouldn’t want to know. My friend has a complicated family background. I’d say ignorance is bliss here.” She heaved a huge sigh and ran her hand through her hair. Her fringe fell across her eyes and the soft chestnut brown strands landed around her almond-shaped face. The sun’s rays that shone through the blinds of the window behind her bounced off her hair in all directions making her hair look like it was glowing.

 

Am I talking to an angel? He swallowed a lump in his throat and tried not to stare at her beautiful curls so blatantly. How can anyone look so beautiful just by sweeping her hair around?

 

Fortunately for him, Tiffany was too preoccupied with Jessica’s problem to notice him ogling her. “Do you think your friend will be willing to help my friend out? He just needs to make a few appearances with her at some functions. He can treat it like a part-time job. My friend is willing to pay a lot of money to get herself out of this fix.”

 

“I-I… I’m not sure but I could ask…” Taeng’s voice faltered. He was sure that Yul wouldn’t agree to such a deal. The Yul he knew since high school was an upright and principled person who didn’t like lying and this act would definitely require lots of lying. However, he could not reject Tiffany’s request… no… not with her lovely chocolate brown eyes looking so hopefully into his.

 

She smiled that smile again—the one that made her eyes look like crescent moons. He knew he was a goner then. He’d even catch a grenade for her, let alone ask Yul to do this. “Yes, I’ll ask my friend. I’m sure he can be persuaded to do it.” He found himself reassuring her more confidently.

 

“That’s great!” She relaxed in her leather swivel chair and spun herself around happily. “Jessi will be so happy about it. You’re a life saver Taeng! I’m so glad that I hired you.”

 

All Taeng could do was smile helplessly at her world class beauty.

 

~~~~~

 

“PLEASE!!! I NEED TO IMPRESS MY NEW BOSS!!! YOU HAVE TO HELP ME OUT!!!” Taeng clung onto Yul’s leg and wore his puppy eye look, desperately imploring Yul to help him.

 

Yul jerked his leg violently, trying to shake Taeng off but to no avail. Taeng clung onto his leg as if his life depended on it. “Taeng, can you behave like a man for once and not act like a nine-year-old? It may have been cute when you were a kid but you’re freaking twenty-four years old now. What you’re doing is just disgusting!”

 

Taeng let go of Yul’s leg but kept his puppy eyes look. His eyes were even slightly teary which urged you to sympathize with him. Yul knew better, however, than to fall for his friend’s tricks. After seeing his puppy eyes for so many years, they now looked more like bug eyes to him than anything.

 

“Yul, it’s not like you to abandon a friend in need…”

 

“I really don’t see how this whole thing is going to work. Besides, I’m sure your new boss won’t think any worse of you if I don’t agree to this. She can’t possibly blame it on you, can she?”

 

“Umm…” Taeng cleared his throat awkwardly. “Actually, I kind of promised her that you would agree to this.” His voice trailed off at the end and he braced himself, ready for Yul to go ballistic on him. To his surprise, Yul didn’t do anything to him. He opened one eye cautiously to take a look and saw Yul pulling his hands down his face in a defeated manner.

 

“Fine, I’ll help.”

 

Taeng leaped for joy. “Whoopie! Yul! You’re the best! I know that I can always count on you!” The strongest bleach in the world wouldn’t have been able to wipe that look of bliss off his face.

 

~~~~~