when joohyun met seungwan...

come back, my past (i won't let you go)

"Thank you again," appreciated Joohyun for the last time before she left the store after getting the crack on the screen of her phone fixed. 

It's been weeks ever since the accident and the last time she saw Seungwan, and she just managed to get her phone fixed today because she just got the time to do so after a busy period of working and visiting every hospital to sell the new drugs Seulgi and the lab team just came up with to the doctors.

She let out a satisfied sigh as she inspected the brand new look of her phone. There is a small smile on her face and Joohyun does not want to erase it from her expression.

No more huge crack at the top right corner of the screen that bothers her to such an extent whenever she is texting with her team or doctors. The glass is shining from the help of the afternoon light and she is happy enough with the outcome, even though she needs to lose some unnecessary money to get herself a phone case on the display that looks cute from her eyes.

Joohyun opened the message app to see if someone was sending her something while she waited for her phone to get fixed. So far, there are no new important messages from work being sent to her, except Seulgi's message where she informs her that she will come home late again today to celebrate the release of the new drugs with her lab mates. She let out a deep sigh after learning that she will spend another night being alone without the company of her roommate.

Her thumb scrolled down to find something more that she might miss when she stopped just right above the familiar contact whom she remembers the number by heart. Seungwan's contact.

It's been days since the last time they sent messages to each other. With Joohyun being so busy for the whole week, it's normal if they stop sending texts in the midst of it because real life caught her slacking. After all, Seungwan is also busy with her research, of course she has no time to entertain her and listen to her stupid rant about her daily work.

Or Joohyun is just trying to not feel guilty because the last bubble of messages came from Seungwan. And she only read her text instead of putting any effort in replying to her.

A groan she let out inwardly. She cursed at herself for being so stupid in ignoring Seungwan when the older woman just wanted to have a nice conversation with her. It wasn't that hard to reply to her jokes and answer her light questions to know how her day passed.

But to handle the quick beating inside her heart every time she is about to reply to Seungwan is the hardest one yet. And that is the reason why she doesn’t reply, because whenever she was about to do so, Joohyun thought it was already too late and it would make the whole conversation they currently have in the chat room no longer fun. When she was just being too much with her overthinking.

"Fancy to meet you here."

Joohyun looks up from her phone screen to see who was the owner of the familiar voice she just heard, only for her to find Seungwan with her beaming smile and still in her work attire. A simple cotton white shirt and black trousers, topped with a dark blue blazer. Looking so dazzling in the simplest way, Joohyun believed she would almost sweep her feet from the ground if only she didn't have such good control over her body.

So much for still having a huge feeling for her first love.

"What are you doing here?" asked Seungwan as she lightly closed their gap with an easy step towards Joohyun who got her breath hitched because , Seungwan looks so damn attractive in such a close proximity.

"Fixing my phone screen," chuckled Joohyun easily, as if she didn't almost stutter her words out because she was currently talking to Seungwan, whom she just thought about when she abruptly stopped and longingly stared over her contact. "I just got the chance to do it now. What about you?"

"Just walking back home," answered Seungwan shortly, her eyes slowly tilting down to the phone inside her grasp and Joohyun noticed how her expression turned into guilt. "I'm sorry for breaking your phone."

"It's okay," dismissed Joohyun with a light wave of her hand. "I told you it was my fault."

Seungwan looked at her with eyes that were filled with objection, and didn't seem to agree with her sentiment. Joohyun gave her reassurance one more time, and even though Seungwan was still reluctant, she knew she accepted that by a stiff nod she gave to her. "So, what are you doing after this?"

"I don't know," sighed Joohyun dejectedly, opening her chatroom with Seulgi and reading her last text over and over again. "My roommate ditched me again tonight because she will have dinner together with her lab mates to celebrate the new drugs they just came up with, and I guess I will need to spend another dinner by eating alone at our shared apartment."

The older woman gave her a nod, going into her silent mode as Joohyun assumed she was currently thinking about something because Seungwan was wearing that expression. The expression where the part between her eyebrows will slightly crease and her full lips pursed for a little bit. Her curious eyes trying to look like she wasn't thinking about something when her hot chocolate orbs screams everything that is currently running inside the wonderful brain of hers.

Sometimes it makes Joohyun scared of how good she is at reading the facial gestures of the beautiful Son Seungwan.

"Well, I'm about to go to the grocery store and buy the stuff I need to cook for today's dinner," shrugged Seungwan lightly while pointing at the said store, three buildings away from their spot. "If you want, you can come over to my place and let's have dinner together."

Okay, now Joohyun believes she just got a heart attack.

Who does Seungwan think she is? Why did she just easily invite her to her place so they can have dinner together, as if they don't have such an embarrassing memory with each other in the past? The event that resulted in them never meeting each other for the last ten years and only saying hi like an old pal recently. Now she is here, standing before her like all of that never happened before, waiting for her to answer the stupid invitation? Joohyun is not that easy.

"Are you sure?" asked Joohyun, completely betraying herself and her train of thoughts with a simple question. "I mean, I can just order a takeout."

"Of course it's okay. I'm the one who asked you to have dinner with me at my place," chuckled Seungwan, as if the thing Joohyun just said to her was the most stupid she has ever heard. "And count that as an apology from me because I cracked your phone, so we can be at peace with that. What do you think?"

What does Joohyun think? What does Joohyun think of having dinner together with her longtime crush and her longtime love interest in her place? 

An opportunity of a lifetime.

"Your place is really great," praised Joohyun in awe, the first thing she said as soon as she entered the modest condominium Seungwan calls home. Her eyes looking around the homey area with wonder, finding out the simple furniture decorating the living room fits perfectly with the mood Seungwan set for her home. Casual and comfortable. "I didn't know you had an eye for interior design."

"I don't. This is all my ex-partner's doing," responded Seungwan as she put the groceries she just bought for dinner tonight on top of the marble island. "My ex-partner always has a good eye for things like that. Thank God I won this apartment in our divorce trial because this used to be my place before she moved in."

Joohyun responds with a nod, and doesn't know if she should thank her love interest's ex-partner for making this apartment look absolutely dazzling or not. She walked around for a little while to look at the small stuff like figures and photos being placed on top of the wooden desk under the LED TV plastered on the wall. She spotted a picture which she believed was taken during Seungwan’s graduation because she was wearing her graduation gown, before she joined her in the kitchen to help her in making dinner. "So, how can I help you in cooking dinner?"

Such a wrong time for Joohyun to visit Seungwan right now, because the older woman is already taking off the gorgeous dark blue blazer that fits perfectly on her slender body. She nicely puts it on top of the small chair near the island, and right now Seungwan only wears her pressed cotton white shirt and a black apron, currently rolling the long sleeve until it reaches her elbow. 

Looking absolutely smoking hot, Joohyun believes she is currently drooling from the mouth-watering sight.

"Just wait on the couch. I can't make my guest cook dinner for themselves," dismissed Seungwan with a light chuckle, ing a button near her collar to let the heat pooling on her chest escape as she crouched down to take a silver pan out from the cabinet. Joohyun needs to ball her fingers into a fist to prevent herself from squealing like a hormonal teenager. "Besides, hearing you said you planned to order takeout for your dinner kind of made me assume you can't cook."

The starstruck expression on her face immediately changed into an annoyed one after Seungwan said her first tease of the night. Of course it wouldn’t be the Seungwan she’s familiar with if she doesn’t . "I beg your pardon? I can cook a little bit. Maybe my cooking skill is a little bit basic, but I know I can cook."

"Whatever you say," giggled Seungwan while taking the ingredients out from the grocery bag. "Just wait on the couch, really. Or if you want, you can accompany me cooking by sitting in the high chair."

Joohyun decided to choose the second offer as she settled herself for the other seat near the island. The spot allows her to have a better look on Seungwan's wide shoulders and perfect proposition of her back. The white shirt allows her perfect figure to point out the small details that make Seungwan appear so damn attractive in her eyes. From her lean shoulders down to her slim waist, it is the most wonderful sight Joohyun has ever laid her eyes on. 

She lets the physicist cook their dinner in silence as she watches her cutting the onions and other ingredients for the food she will make. Her eyes wander down to her wonderful exposed arms, working so perfectly in chopping down the onion until it turns into thin slices. 

The pair can't help but to wander more, when she spotted something on her left wrist that looks oddly familiar. The sight tugged a string of her heart in a weird way which she was unable to comprehend when she finally found out what it was.

"Is that-" Joohyun paused to not make herself choking out the words in an embarrassing way, "is that the bracelet I made for you?"

"Yeah, it is," answered Seungwan easily while stopping herself for a second to admire the said bracelet before resuming her work, as if the homemade bracelet wrapping around her left wrist was nothing but another piece of jewelry for her to wear. 

Joohyun gulped to remove the clot that was building inside . "You still have it after all this time."

"Of course. I told you, this bracelet is the first thing I get from someone who made a huge effort in making something just for them to give it to me," chuckled Seungwan, turning around to give her a grateful smile before focusing back on the cutting board. "I can't just throw away something as meaningful as that."

Her jaw tightened after Seungwan said that. So far, this impromptu dinner is not going well for her side of the party. Here she is, in the most private space of her first love, watching her cook dinner for two. 

Only for her to learn that after all this time—even after the embarrassing event that happened between them—Seungwan always kept and wore the bracelet she personally made for her like it was the most important thing in her life. She placed it on top of her left wrist and always treated the bracelet nicely to always make them stay in their mint condition.

The beating heart underneath her ribcage is picking up their pace in a steady way. Joohyun needs to learn quickly how to breathe normally to handle a sudden moment like this.

Because her poor soul can only handle so much.

Seungwan cooked them a simple beef teriyaki and a hearty pot of kimchi stew for their dinner. Even though she doesn't need so much effort in making them, Joohyun admits that the food Seungwan cooks tasted like something she never had before. It was so good, not even the Chinese takeout Seulgi always bought for their dinner could beat this.

Or it's just because Joohyun is too lovesick with the woman who cooked her food. That is indeed a pretty biased view coming from her.

"Do you want to watch something?" asked Seungwan as she took the remote control on the coffee table before settling herself comfortably beside Joohyun on the sofa, to the point she straightened her legs by placing them above the table. 

They decided to kill time by watching something on the TV after Seungwan refused her offer to clean the dirty dishes as soon as they finished their dinner. Joohyun pouted from that, still trying to at least help Seungwan with something instead of just being a guest that gets everything from the host. But Seungwan always has her own way in rejecting her offer, and it’s the reason why they are currently here in the living room. 

And the dirty dishes sadly got ignored inside the sink, waiting for someone to clean them. "What kind of show do you like?"

"I like everything," shrugged Joohyun, whose taste in shows and movies changed 180 degrees after she met Seulgi. "I heard Channel 3 is currently doing a rerun of Star Trek."

She noticed how Seungwan suddenly stiffened beside her, slowly turning her head to look at her with a weird gaze like Joohyun just grew another head out from her neck. "Did I just hear that right? You—Bae Joohyun—out of all people, know and watch Star Trek?"

"It's complicated, okay? My roommate is a whole nerd, she makes me watch all of that stuff," Joohyun rolled her eyes annoyingly, knowing that Seungwan is currently getting ready to for the nth time that night. "And I found out that that kind of show is quite fun for me to enjoy. Shut up or just watch something else."

"I didn't say anything, though?" teased Seungwan while changing the channel to the said one where they have a rerun of Star Trek. "And we can watch Star Trek if you really want to watch it."

"Smartass."

"Yup. I'm the smartass you used to like. Remember that."

Joohyun scoffed from the underlying teasing Seungwan just said. She ignored the way the older girl let out a satisfied laugh as she made herself comfortable to watch Star Trek together with her. She can feel how Seungwan just sent her a side glance filled with lots of meaning before she focused her eyes back to the bright screen in front of them.

Halfway through the episode, Joohyun can feel herself getting bored with the show Seulgi often made her watch even though she was reluctant in doing so. She has seen this same scene way too many times, and it doesn't give her the same spark like it used to be in the past.

She decided to take a quick glance at the person sitting beside her. And she can’t help but to notice how her body already leaned forward with interest as her sharp eyes were in such a deep focus while watching the scene Joohyun just assumed it was boring. The cute wrinkles between her eyebrows popped out again, decorating her forehead. The sign that Seungwan was in too deep with the show in front of her, Joohyun thinks it will be alright if she stares at her for a little bit.

From this position, with such a close proximity like this, Joohyun notices something she is unable to catch on the first meeting with Seungwan after ten years of being apart.

The younger woman can tell how time shaped Son Seungwan into someone she is currently sharing a space with. The sharp features on her face show up from the help of the bluish light coming from the TV screen and become more mature than ten years ago, when she remembers she still can see some childish part forming her expression years ago. Like a baby fat filling up her cheeks and making her face look slightly round.

It’s crazy how age really formed her into this new Son Seungwan she needs to get to know again from zero. There are smooth wrinkles near the corner of her eyes, but it doesn't make her look like someone who is old. Instead, it makes her look like someone who still got it together even after everything that was happening in her life.

There are also some thin wrinkles at the corner of her lips, formed well due to the time that has passed by. Her hair that used to be long is being cut shorter as the tips just rightly rested against the back of her neck. 

To put it simply, the new appearance makes her look far wiser and sophisticated than the last time she saw her in her childhood bedroom.

And all of that makes her heart fall into a new chamber of feeling that she doesn’t know exists inside her heart. The feeling that grows into a new field of beautiful flowers, accompanied with butterflies flying around them. The same feelings that feel so painfully similar to the one when she felt it for the first time in her high school era, yet it also feels different because everything changes. 

Everything changes into something that she can't quite comprehend, but so far she likes it. She likes how it makes her feel something again that has been so long ever since the last time she felt it. That same euphoria where she found herself looking at the world like they were a rainbow, without any storm looming in the sky.

The feeling that Joohyun is dying to embrace back into her heart, but at the same time she is too afraid of what the future is going to offer her.

No one can ever predict the future. They can only try to make the outcome exactly the same as what they wanted it to be. But a person can only do so much in making it happen like that. World always has something up their sleeve to sprinkle what people called as surprise in their life.

Joohyun doesn't know if she prepared herself enough for something like that again.

"Okay, now I understand why you can find yourself liking this type of show," commented Seungwan out of a sudden, breaking the train of thoughts Joohyun currently has with herself and abruptly making herself look away from the gorgeous sight beside her and trying to not get caught red handed in staring at her. "I need to admit, it's quite fun."

"Continue watching this show, you will find yourself learning how to speak Klingon," teased Joohyun as a payback, almost losing control when Seungwan pouted cutely from the teasing. "I told you it was fun."

"Yes, fine, it was fun," Seungwan rolled her eyes playfully, leaning back to the couch and positioned herself to allow her to look at Joohyun better. The latter tries to appear cool under her profound gaze. "Thank you for accepting my dinner invitation tonight. I had so much fun catching up with you again."

"Same goes for me too. Thank you for inviting me," thanked Joohyun as she looked back at Seungwan's orbs that still reminded her of a nice cup of her favorite hot chocolate. Her eyes staring at her with so much intensity Joohyun can feel her heart tremble from such focus coming from those pair of beautiful orbs that always easily make her levitate to the highest sky. Joohyun let out a cough to break their eye contact and decided to check her phone to see if there is a new text message coming from Seulgi. "I think it's time for me to go back to my place."

"Sure," nodded Seungwan, giving Joohyun time for her to pack her things back into her purse. "Do you want me to drive you back?"

"No need. I can just hop on a bus. It’s not midnight yet after all, so it’s fine," dismissed Joohyun quickly, trying to look convincing for Seungwan to not ask her the offer again for the second time. She can't afford being in the same breathing space with Seungwan for another fifteen minutes. "And I can walk perfectly with my knee already healed, so everything is fine."

"If you say so," shrugged Seungwan lightly, accompanying her to the main door of her apartment as they bid their goodbye. "Be careful on your way back."

Joohyun gave her a nod, trying so hard to not stare at the scrumptious view of Seungwan leaning against the doorframe with her arms crossed in front of her chest. The said arms still got exposed for her to see because Seungwan was still rolling the long sleeves until it reached her elbows. She took a deep sigh to calm her emotion down before flashing her a smile. "Of course. See you later, Seungwan."

The older woman only raised her palm and gave her a wave of goodbye. "Don't forget to text me back from now on."

She turned around to by jutting out her tongue in a playful way, even though they knew Joohyun would always text her back after this. Both of them crack into a friendly laugh as Joohyun enters the elevator to bring herself down. She gave her one last wave of goodbye before the steel door erasing Seungwan from her point of view, officially ending the time she spent with her tonight.

A squeal almost escaped from if only Joohyun didn't bite her bottom lip from feeling too ecstatic because of the dinner. She can't believe she just spent such a casual time with Seungwan and was able to share some talks with her as they were catching up with each other after years had gone by.

It was such a wonderful time for Joohyun, and she can't wait for the next one to happen. 

And forgetting how she needs to keep her feelings at bay in order to not make her heart break again in the worst possible way.

---

"I didn't know you were the kind of person who likes to go to a festival."

"I didn't know you were the kind of person who doesn't like to go to a festival," Seungwan replied back as they entered the entrance of a firework festival in the middle of the city, ignoring her scoff after her comeback.

The festival is packed with people. Even though the main event will be held at night because it’s a firework festival, it doesn't stop them from coming in the daytime to enjoy the things that are being offered inside. There are lots of stalls that offer food, games, and stuff for them to buy. Without a doubt, people will be packing the festival even more when the main event is still hours away from the schedule.

Seungwan is the one who asked her to come and accompany her in attending the famous festival. She told her that the festival has one of the greatest firework shows one can ever watch, and it will be nice if she can spend this year’s festival with Joohyun so they can admire the fireworks blasting on the dark sky together. The older woman also told her she used to enjoy the festival together with her ex-partner. But now that they got divorced, it would be nice if she could come to her favorite festival with someone by her side rather than being alone.

And being painfully unaware of how her invitation she sent in the morning two days before caused Joohyun to almost burn her pancake if only Seulgi wasn’t there to rescue the poor breakfast. She can only flash the microbiologist a sheepish smile, only for her to get a deadpan stare from her roommate because of her stupidity.

“Next time, don’t play with your phone when you are cooking,” Seulgi warned her with a stern voice, all Joohyun could do was nod.

"I just don't like to be somewhere with too many crowds," reasoned Joohyun while she was trying to move forward by walking in-between the small gaps made by people. It’s hard enough to breathe by the lack of oxygen she got due to her short stature, much more in trying to move by spotting a slight opening for her to pierce her way in. "This is just an entrance and it's already making me tired!"

"Stop whining, the fun has not yet started," chuckled Seungwan, putting her palm on top of her shoulders and pushing her from the back. She helps her to go through the thick crowds as their eyes move everywhere in trying to find something interesting that people sell in one of these stalls available for people to visit as they enjoy what the festival offers. So far, the first group of stalls are only shops that sell cute merchandise for people to wear. "Do you have any idea on what you want to do here?"

"You are the one who asked me to come. Should I be the one asking that to you?" pointed out Joohyun as they kept passing stall after stall like it was a never-ending alley, much to her annoyance.

"Come on, this is a festival! At least have a positive energy," exclaimed Seungwan lightly by tapping her shoulders hard enough to make her feel pain that is good to annoy Joohyun with her quirks before stopping herself just right beside her as they stood in front of a stall. "I think I just know the perfect thing to kick the y mood out of you."

Before them is a game stall that offers people to throw a ball into stacked cans. At the front corner of the stall, hanging tons of cute plush dolls as a form of reward if people successfully knock down all the cans using the ball.

"Really?" scoffed Joohyun. "A kid's game?"

"Don't be like that, this is quite a fun game," retaliated Seungwan while she was rummaging through her purse to take out her wallet and fishing two bills out from their place, giving it immediately to the waiting hand of the staff who was guarding the stall. "Next thing you know, you are being too deep in the game."

"Prove it to me then," challenged Joohyun, raising her chin to make a point. 

Seungwan only gave her a shrug as the staff gave her three rubber balls they got to throw towards the stacked can in one round. She took her time in throwing the ball, focusing her eyes on the target while her arm was already in position up in the air. A second later, she threw the ball in a quick motion and the next thing Joohyun knew, the older woman just successfully knocked down one tower of the cans.

"Why are you so good?" Joohyun squinted her eyes in suspicion, watching Seungwan who was getting ready with her second throw from the three chances she got. 

"Why? Are you scared?" taunted Seungwan with that silly y smirk of her that made her heart tremble, throwing another ball towards one of the towers and once again, successfully knocking all of them down.

"No, that would be silly," snickered Joohyun, trying so hard in playing it cool while she watched Seungwan preparing for her last throw. She prayed inside her heart to whoever up there to make Seungwan fail for her last throw in the most embarrassing way, just so she can save her dignity. 

But of course, nothing ever comes into her favor.

"Your turn," instructed Seungwan, still with a smug smirk present on her face, cocking her head towards the empty spot where she just threw her balls. She willingly stepped aside as Joohyun took over her spot, accepting the three rubber balls from the staff and put it on top of the wooden counter before her. The rubber ball feels weird in her grasp, probably because it has already been used too much by other people before her. "Do you need any tips?"

"No. The tips I need is for you to go away and stop disturbing me," grumbled Joohyun as she got ready with her stance, taking a deep breath to calm her competitive nerves down because a lot is at stake right now. Mostly her pride over the annoying Son ‘can do it all’ Seungwan. 

This is an easy game. All Joohyun needs is to throw the rubber ball towards the small mountain of cans and bring them all down in the three chances that she got. Nothing difficult, especially when the target is right there before her. If Seungwan can do it, why can't she? She throws the ball up lightly to taste the weight in her grasp before throwing it quickly towards the target in front of her.

Only for her ball to hit the empty space in-between the tower of cans.

Joohyun ignored the way Seungwan laughed loudly like what just happened before her was the best thing ever happened in her life. She can feel her face heating up due to the embarrassment, turning her fair skin into the color of a ripe tomato. She chose to keep paying no attention to Seungwan as she took another ball inside her grasp and threw it again immediately as her second chance. Only for it to humiliatingly land at the same place as the previous.

"I need to admit, you did really great in always hitting the same spot," teased Seungwan with the corner of her lips curled into an annoying smirk that Joohyun was dying in wiping it away, even though it makes her look smoking hot. “I couldn’t even do that.”

“Shut up, smartass. That doesn’t help,” grumbled Joohyun, staring at her last rubber ball of hope to successfully hit at least one tower of cans.

“Well, I’m offering you the chance to get tips from me in throwing the ball earlier, but you rejected my help,” reminded Seungwan, along with a light shrug. Just continuing her agenda in making Joohyun agitated. “The offer is up, and right now you are on your own.”

She took a deep breath, preparing herself to not be nervous and try to not embarrass herself in throwing away her last chance for the game into a waste of time and strength. Joohyun took her time with this one, trying to connect her eyes and arm so they are working together in targeting the same spot. That one tower of cans who looks like they are ready to crumble down under the mercy of the last rubber ball.

One last taking of a deep breath, she threw the ball as fast as she could. Hoping inside her heart that it will hit the original target, the tower of cans.

Yet the ball betrayed her once again. Instead of the cans, the rubber ball hit the wooden pedestal which is the place where the tower can stay in its position on the wall. The ball bounced back at a fast pace, and Joohyun—who is not quick enough in reacting—became the victim of it by getting her forehead hit with the rubber ball she just threw.

Joohyun immediately yelps from the sudden burning pain on her skin, while Seungwan lets out a loud laugh after watching the scene unveiled just right before her eyes. She doesn’t have the time to even be embarrassed by the silly commotion, because the spot she just got hit at is far more painful than the one she got on her knee when she met Seungwan for the first time in ten years of them being apart.

“Oh God, that is so hilarious!” exclaimed Seungwan, busy in wiping the tears that fell from her eyes after such a good laugh.

“Shut up!” hissed Joohyun in an annoyed tone. “! It’s so painful.”

“Alright, alright,” giggled Seungwan, her laughter slowly going down as her eyes that were filled with mirths watching pained Joohyun who is trying to erase the annoying burning feeling on her forehead. “Come here, let me see.”

“Why?” Joohyun let out a sneer. “So you could make fun of me again?”

“Of course not,” responded Seungwan, even though she did it with a chuckle. She stepped closer towards Joohyun and breaching her privacy as she pulled her palm away from covering her forehead, forcing her to stop rubbing on the painful area of her skin. Joohyun can feel her stares that are focused on the red spot, letting Seungwan do her own thing in rubbing the area gently using her thumb and blowing her breath on it to reduce the ache she currently feels. "I'm trying to make the pain go away."

Weirdly, it was working. She can feel her sudden injury being healed by a mere, simple treatment from Seungwan. The scientist maybe just doing the bare minimum in doing so, but it was enough for her to not feel in pain in the midst of the large crowd.

Or maybe, it was because she was in such close proximity with Seungwan, she could even pick up the scent coming from the perfume she used.

It was maddening and dizzying at the same time. Her breath got hitched inside , like they refused to come out from her lungs. All she could ever breathe and smell was the scent of the white musk perfume Seungwan sprayed on her body. Filling her brain with nothing but Seungwan as she stayed rooted on her spot.

Seungwan—who puts all of her attention to her forehead and is taller than her—means that she was forced to look at her strong neck. Her eyes focus on the bulging veins and the particular muscle whose name is long enough for Joohyun to not bother in remembering it. 

She looked down for a little bit, only for her to get a glimpse of her collarbone that appears so y being hidden inside her long sleeve striped white t-shirt. The scent of white musk coming off from the taller woman only enables all of her senses to only be filled with someone who is named Son Seungwan. Every cell inside her body screams in mixed emotions that becomes one ball of complicated feelings Joohyun couldn't find a chance in sorting it out. She can feel her body warmth running through her skin even though their body is not even in contact with each other. 

The close proximity she currently shares with Seungwan makes her heart beat in erratic ways. She can hear the pounding so clearly like it was beating just right beside her ears. It sounds so loud, she fears Seungwan can hear it because of how close they are. Her face went numb in a high temperature, she can feel all the blush coming from the base of her neck, currently turning her face to red like how a crab would if they got boiled.

went dry just from this distance alone. She can’t even move her hands in the midst of Seungwan being busy trying to reduce the pain on her forehead. Everything feels surreal, she can’t even grasp if this was a reality or just a nice dream currently happening inside her head.

How a simple rubber ball caused so much to her poor brain and sanity.

“See? You are fine,” assured Seungwan after she was done in treating her, taking a simple step back and letting Joohyun finally be able to breathe again. She can finally stop breathing in only her scent and her stupid white musk perfume. Just when she was about to take a breath, Seungwan just needed to flash her a wide smile that doesn’t make her heart calmer even for a little bit. Especially when her eyes followed to form into a pair of beautiful crescents. “It was nothing.”

“R-right,” choked out Joohyun, sounding so embarrassing because decided to become dry at that moment. She let out a cough to cover her clumsiness, trying so hard to play it cool even though she knows her face is still as red as it could be in the first place. "T-thanks—for that."

Seungwan flashed her a grin before turning around to accept her gift from the staff after successfully hitting three tower cans in the three chances that she got. With her arms, she accepted a medium size Dumbo plush that looks so cute being placed in her hold. Almost making Joohyun jealous because the stupid doll gets to be inside the warm embrace of Seungwan. "Look! The plushie even looks like you! I can't believe this!"

It's official. Joohyun will hate that stupid Dumbo plush for the rest of her life.

They started to walk again and passed by many stalls along the alley of the festival. Sometimes Seungwan stops along the way to buy the two of them a snack they can eat while walking. Like usual, Joohyun will try to also be the one spending the money. But somehow, Seungwan always moves much faster than her in taking the bills out from her wallet. 

"I'm the one who asked you to try this. It's logical if I'm also the one who paid for it," reasoned Seungwan when Joohyun protested for the nth time after they bought two corn dogs for them to enjoy while strolling around the festival. Seungwan only laughs at her pouting expression. She gently ruffled her hair and told her if she got interested in buying something from one of the stalls, she would let Joohyun be the one who paid for the two of them.

Of course, the simple action of ruffling hair got Joohyun malfunctioning like a robot who suddenly ran out of power. She can only hope Seungwan didn't realize the quick change in her as she tried to cover it with a poorly attempted fake cough.

"Another game?" sighed Joohyun when Seungwan suddenly stopped in front of a shooting game stall. Joohyun looks up only to find her hot chocolate orbs twinkle in a childish and excited way, such a contrast to her mature expression that masking her face in a perfect way. She can feel her heart start to pick up another pace to beat much faster than normal.

"Why not?" shrugged Seungwan, this time letting Joohyun be the one who paid for the game. "It's nice to take a rest from the nice stroll."

"By playing another round of stupid games? Yeah, right," snorted Joohyun, giving the staff two bills to pay for the two of them playing the game. "Our definition of rest is totally different."

"Come on, don't be such a bum," chuckled Seungwan as she took one of the long rifles being placed on top of the counter. She placed them close to her face, lining her eye with the pointer as she picked the target for her to shoot. "You have fun with the throwing ball game. Just admit it."

Joohyun was about to fight back when Seungwan suddenly pulled the trigger and hit the target perfectly. She can only watch her with the mix of awe and disbelief filled her eyes as the older woman continues in hitting the target three times in a row like they were nothing and making the shooting game look so easy when Joohyun believes it must be so hard in doing so.

How come Son Seungwan is such a perfect all-rounder?

"How are you even able to do that?" reacted Joohyun once her mind finished processing everything she just saw with her own two eyes, and still in her disbelief state over what had just happened.

"My classmate from my graduate school joins a shooting club in the university. I once followed her in doing their activities and found myself being taught how to shoot right," explained Seungwan lightly, putting down the rifle back on top of the counter like she was a natural. "Thankfully, they allow me to learn how to shoot even though I never joined the club officially. I was only there just because my classmate forced me to accompany her."

Her brows furrowed from the explanation. "I thought you were busy with school and your job?"

"I still found enough time to have fun," answered Seungwan, along with a playful wink that sends such a dangerous dagger to her sanity. The scientist stepped aside, giving the spot to Joohyun to do her turn. "I didn't expect you to remember that I once said I was pretty busy with my graduate school and my job."

Joohyun is dying to scream out that she remembers everything Seungwan has ever told her, even the one when they shared conversation after ten years of being apart. She kept it fine inside the special compartment in her brain, ready to always come to her need everytime she needed to remember the small thing Seungwan usually did. But Joohyun bit her bottom lip, preventing herself from saying something she wasn't ready to say yet while she positioned herself on the spot Seungwan just occupied. "I don't know how to play this."

"It's the same as the throwing ball game we played earlier."

"I mean, how to shoot," grumbled Joohyun, picking up the long rifle only for her to realize that the thing was quite heavy for her to hold. "I have never held a gun in my entire life, even for something like this."

"Easy," Seungwan shrugged again. "I can teach you if you want me to."

"Fine, I suppose so," muttered Joohyun half-heartedly. Slowly, a thick frown formed on her face. "Wait, how are you going to-"

The rest of the words that were already at the tip of her tongue to finish her sentence refused to roll out. It's not like Joohyun was unable to speak normally like everyone.

But when your number one crush suddenly pressing themselves on your back is surely able to make you stop speaking. Son Seungwan is especially able to make her stop breathing as the last thing Joohyun remembers before she went all frozen is taking a sharp intake of breath like it was her last one to keep herself alive.

Her senses are suddenly filled with Seungwan and her stupid but addicting white musk scent. And now, she can clearly feel the warmth she exudes from her body, due to her front being pressed closely against her back. 

Somehow Seungwan's body felt soft and hard at the same time, gentle and strong like how she always described her inside her own dreamland. She can feel her hot breath brushing against the soft skin of her cheek, tickling her face in the way it was sprouting another batch of blush like the supply will never end for today. The tips of her short hair slightly grazing her peeking out earlobe, making her body shiver either in delight or in such nervousness, Joohyun doesn't bother to find out.

Not when something as important as Seungwan looking like she was embracing her from behind is currently happening in her life.

"Joohyun? Are you listening to what I just said?"

"What?" blinked Joohyun as the simple question coming from Seungwan broke her out from her reverie. She just remembered she was holding a heavy gun with her own hands. But right now, Seungwan was helping her by placing her palms on top of hers, guiding her in achieving the perfect posture to do her first shot. "I-I'm sorry, I went blank. This is my first time, after all."

"It's okay. No need to be so nervous and tense, alright? Relax, it's just a fun game," chuckled Seungwan lightly, painfully unaware that the reason Joohyun was being so tense is because of her. "All you need to do right now is to line up your eyes with the pointer. Have you done it?"

Joohyun silently takes a deep breath to calm her nerves from being so damn close with Seungwan, before trying to line her right eye with the pointer on the rifle. "Yeah, I guess."

"Great. Now, calmly guide your gun towards the target in front of you," instructed Seungwan softly as her hand guides her to move, trying to find the said target for her to shoot. "Remember to keep looking from the pointer. Did you find it?"

"I-I think so," stuttered Joohyun, trying so hard to not be distracted because Seungwan is so warm right now. Everything about her is warm. From her palms that she placed perfectly right on top of hers, to her body that was pressing on her back like they were a match made from heaven. How Joohyun wishes they are a match made from heaven. "Yeah, I found it."

"Good. Now try to hold the gun steadily in your arms. No need to be so tense with your posture," reminded Seungwan, keeping her hold on her still from her back. "Anytime you are ready to pull the trigger."

She took a deep breath, trying so hard to let go of the tension that has been running inside her nerves ever since Seungwan suddenly latched herself on her back. Joohyun can feel the tension slowly erasing away, finding herself to be able to relax as she follows the beat coming from Seungwan's breathing which she can listen just right beside her ear. She prepared herself to pull the trigger, taking one last deep breath before finally doing so.

The plastic bullet beautifully blasted out from the rifle's mouth, perfectly landed on top of the target.

"I did it!" exclaimed Joohyun proudly as she can't believe that she just hit her first target today after such a row of failure in the game before this.

"Great job!" praised the older woman, she can hear the smile that is plastered on her face even though Joohyun couldn't look at her. "Now let's find the next target for you to shoot. Just repeat what you did earlier calmly."

Joohyun gave her a nod, immediately finding the next target to be her second prey. She did the same thing like what she did on the first one. She took a deep breath first, trying to make her hands steady before she pulled the trigger and let the plastic bullet go to hit her second successful target for the day. "I did it again!"

"Excellent!" beamed Seungwan in pride. She was about to get used to Seungwan embracing her from behind when the said woman suddenly unlatched herself away from her, making Joohyun confused from her sudden action. "Now, for your last one, why don't you try it by yourself?"

Her quick surge of euphoria immediately changes into a nervous and tense one, now that Seungwan is not guiding her again to shoot the target. "I-I don't think I can."

"You can do it, Joohyun," assured Seungwan, sending her a message from her eyes that she knows she can do it. The same gaze Seungwan used to give her everytime she was doubting herself in trying to solve the equation the older girl gave her on their tutoring in the past. The kind of gaze that is always successful in injecting a new batch of confidence to run inside her nerves. "Believe me."

She looks at her long before readying herself in getting her third target in a row. Joohyun took a deep breath, the same one like she took in the previous two as her eye already found the next target for her to shoot. She can feel her arms become steady, can feel her index finger ready to pull the trigger and allow the plastic bullet to hit the target. Another deep breath she takes, before she pressed her finger against the trigger. And watches how the bullet landed perfectly on the next target, bringing it down.

"I did it!" exclaimed Joohyun as soon as she successfully hit her last target. "Did you see that, Seungwan? Did you see me hit the last one?"

Seungwan let out a proud laugh as she raised her hand for Joohyun to give her a high-five. Joohyun caught the signal perfectly, and immediately gave her what she wanted. "Congratulations! I told you that you can do it."

The long haired woman beamed at her brightly as she let the euphoria coursing through her body taking over her senses. The wave of nostalgia suddenly comes and crashes her in a nice way. She remembers how this is the exact same thing they will always do everytime Joohyun was successful in answering the equation, Seungwan will be there beside her to celebrate it together.

Everything suddenly feels like what it used to be. And Joohyun loves the feelings too much for her to realize how much she missed this.

How much she missed Seungwan in her life.

"Thank you," thanked Joohyun with gratitude as she accepted her prize from the staff after hitting all the targets in all the chances she got to do so. In her arms, there is a cute plushie of a light blue squirrel that somehow reminds her of Seungwan. She tightened her hold that she got around the plushie, promising to herself to never lose this one in her life.

"Uh, miss?"

"Yeah?" Joohyun turned around to look at the staff, who was contemplating whether it was the right thing for them to say or not.

"You do know this shooting game is not that complicated for you to be taught like that, right?"

What the staff just said to her suddenly hit her like a bolt of lightning. Now that she finally got a sense in everything, she realized how the long rifle is actually quite light for her to hold. And how it was actually not that difficult to hit the target because they didn't move around like how the usual game is.

Joohyun turned around to look at Seungwan who was waiting for her to accept her prize while her eyes wandered at the food stall near the one they were currently at, trying to search for something in the older woman's behavior that could support what the staff just told her. She found nothing in her hot chocolate orbs except happiness and mirth, like a child who was excited about everything in this world.

Her heart suddenly becomes warm from the thought that Seungwan was doing that to make sure that she believes in herself, like she always did everytime she got stuck in the midst of the tutoring. She smiled softly towards her former tutor, enjoying the feeling of the flower field in her heart blooming another batch of flowers. The butterflies that were freely flying above the beautiful petals, dancing with the help of the wind like they just found their true happiness.

It feels beautiful, and she doesn't want it to end.

"What do you want to do next?" asked Seungwan as they walked side by side in the middle of the full crowd inside the festival alley.

"I don't know," shrugged Joohyun, who was trying not to giggle at how silly Seungwan looked because she was holding three plushies inside her arms at the same time. One of them is the prize Joohyun just got from the shooting game they did earlier. She told her earlier she was able to hold her own plushie by herself, but Seungwan—like usual—refused and was stubborn by holding all of them together in one embrace. "It's almost the main event, though."

Seungwan nods and lets out a soft hum. Her face contorted into that one expression Joohyun knows best, her thinking expression. Joohyun made a similar frown on her face when Seungwan suddenly clipped all of the plushies on her purse and let them hang there, making her look like a street doll seller. "Give me your hand."

Her frown thickens. Joohyun is absolutely confused and oblivious to what Seungwan is trying to do. "What?"

"Just give me."

She hesitates for a while, before giving Seungwan her hand like what she just asked. The scientist looked around their surroundings for a little while and not even acknowledging her existence who was standing near her just several meters away. Joohyun was about to ask her what she was going to do when Seungwan suddenly grasped her hand and pulled her to follow her direction.

Breaking news. Seungwan just held her hand.

Joohyun is not even able to react well from the new physical contact she just experienced with Seungwan. She needs to keep up with the tall woman before her or else she will get pulled around like she was on a leash or something.

With the leash being Seungwan's arm? Maybe she can accept that.

But even in the midst of rush and trying not to trip as she walks, Joohyun can still notice the small things from a simple action like holding her hand.

Seungwan's palm felt rougher compared to her own, weirdly making her feel comfortable and safe from the tight grasp. Her palm is also warm like before and never turning cold, such a contrast to Joohyun who easily got her hand becoming colder if she got exposed for a little while in freezing weather. Her slightly bigger palm and longer fingers fit perfectly against her smaller one, like they are meant to be clasped together tightly just like this. Like a puzzle who just found its perfect piece to be completed.

Swooning Joohyun in one simple sweep of a gesture. She could experience the feeling in a much better way if only Seungwan wasn't pulling her hand like a crazily rushed person.

She brought her to a secluded bridge in the middle of the river. It was dark there, due to the poor lighting from the street lamps that barely shone down the pavement for people to walk safely. There are not many people passing by them, as they chose to be closer to where the main event is going to be. There is only them, and a small minimarket on the riverside, open for the people to buy light snacks or heavy food.

The spot they are currently at is far different than the one they just visited to have fun in the festival. 

No speck of crowds can be spotted from the bridge where Joohyun sits on the edge of it. The calm stream coming from the river added to the silent ambience surrounding her. Sometimes she can hear small chirps or noises coming from the birds and bugs that live near the river. It does make her scared, no doubt. But everything feels so good for her to ruin it just because she was feeling scared over animals who have the right to live in this area.

“I’m sorry. Did you wait for long?” asked Seungwan after she joined her again from buying things at the small minimarket. She didn’t wait for Joohyun’s response as she took a seat beside her, letting her legs dangle on top of the river. “One cup noodles, one hot bar, and one cold beer for you.”

Joohyun thanked her with a soft mutter, placing everything on the empty spot beside her as she wants to enjoy the night scenery more in the meantime. Beside her, Seungwan was busy opening her bottle of cold black coffee. She lets her do her thing in silence, relishing the soft blow of night wind caressing her body like an embrace of an old friend. Joohyun slowly closes her eyes to let everything sink in and allows her nerves and soul to rest after such a hard day.

They got through a lot ever since Seungwan suddenly decided to become physical with her in the festival earlier.

“Why here?” asked Joohyun after long minutes of silence. She picked up her cup noodles that are still piping hot and loosened the strands of noodles using the chopsticks to not make them stick with each other. “I thought we were going to watch the main event.”

We are going to watch the main event,” answered Seungwan, pointing out the two first words she just said. She took her time in continuing her words by scooping some of the noodles from her own cup, giving it a light blow to let it cool down a little bit, before she put it inside . “The ideal spot to watch the fireworks will be too crowded because people will watch from there. And you don’t like crowds. That’s why I brought you here to watch the fireworks in a much calmer area.”

She nodded from the reasonable reasoning Seungwan just gave her. But still, something is bugging her. “But, wouldn’t it be too far? I mean, they get to see big fireworks. We get to see, like, half the size of it.”

“The point is, we can still watch it,” rebutted Seungwan, drinking another gulp of her black coffee. “My ex-partner and I used to do that everytime we attended the festival. We were alright if the alley they use for the festival was crowded. But to see the main event in the middle of the sea that is filled with people? It’s much better if we stepped aside. Some things are just nice to be spent with a little bit of silence, you know?”

Joohyun let out a soft hum, tearing open the hot bar for her to eat together with the cup noodles. “I assume you did a lot together with your ex-partner.”

“Yeah, we share the same likings after all,” chuckled Seungwan softly, in a way of reminiscing her past memories she used to share with someone who once occupied a spot in her heart. Somehow, it doesn’t make Joohyun feel jealous. It makes her feel like she is falling deeper with someone who currently shares the same space with her. “We used to attend a lot of things together, like an inseparable pair, you know? It was a fun time.”

“Did you miss it?” Joohyun asked again, realizing it a bit too late that the question could bring her into another round of heartbreak. “Spending time together with someone?”

“It would be a lie if I said no,” sighed Seungwan, putting aside her empty cup noodles and relaxing while sitting on the edge of the bridge. “It’s hard in the beginning. You used to wake up with someone then the next day, they just weren’t there, laying down beside you. But I’ve come to terms with that.”

Seungwan suddenly turned her head towards her, caught Joohyun by surprise who was about to eat her cup noodles. She didn’t let any words spill out from her lips, only watching Seungwan in silence as she spotted how the corner of her lips curled into a smile that made her heart beat at such a fast rate in one click of a finger. Joohyun almost got choked from the noodle she is currently eating.

“Besides, I can do things together with you right now,” beamed Seungwan like the words she just said to her were nothing. Like it didn’t strike her heart in such a hard way it makes Joohyun forget how to breathe. “And I’m glad we have fun.”

Thank God Joohyun got the control of herself back in such a quick time. Because if she’s not, she is going to embarrass herself in front of Seungwan by spilling her cup noodles into her lap and choking on the last strand of noodle inside . She let out a cough to cover her flustered expression after such a sweet sentence Seungwan just told her. Joohyun hastily opened the can of beer to drink down almost half of the content.

“Be easy with your drinking, young lady,” giggled Seungwan, perfectly knowing how her words affected Joohyun so much. The latter just wants to wipe that smug smirk away from her face. “The main event is still six minutes away.”

“Shut up. I’m not the one who drives tonight,” grumbles Joohyun in annoyance, while Seungwan replies to her protest in a round of a nice laugh. The kind of laugh that makes her feel the familiar fluttering feelings and she can’t help but to smile together with the older woman. “That means, I can drink another can of beer just alright.”

“If you think by doing that means you can annoy me, try better,” taunted Seungwan playfully, slightly nudging her using her shoulder to prove her point. Joohyun just laughed at her silly defense. 

They went into silence after a good round of laughter. Joohyun can hear the loud commotion coming from the main spot to see the fireworks blasting in the sky at a perfect distance. Maybe Seungwan was right. The ideal area will be so crowded with people it wouldn’t be nice to enjoy the fireworks. It was better this way. Only the two of them, in the middle of the night. Away from people and everything that could disturb the mood that was set by the nice evening.

“Why were you holding my hand earlier?”

“Easy, I don’t want you to get lost,” shrugged Seungwan lightly, placing her hand beside Joohyun and she was painfully aware how close the gap was right now. Just one slight move, Joohyun can already put her palm right on top of hers. “We were in a rush, it was crowded. I don’t want you trying to find me like a lost little kid trying to find their mother.”

“Please,” scoffed Joohyun, feeling annoyed that she was compared to a little kid. She might be smaller than her, but it’s not like Seungwan was that tall! “I could just call you and ask for your whereabouts.”

“When you are blind in reading maps?” 

“There is this thing called sharing your location and showing the way to get there.”

“In the middle of a fully packed alley? You got lucky if I can even hear a notification coming into my phone.”

Joohyun let out a grumble. There is no way she will win against Seungwan in a debate like this. The older woman was too smart for her own good, and she still remembers her disadvantages that still stay within her, even when she is already a grown up.

While Seungwan was still laughing because she knew she was right. “Come on, erase that pout from your face. They have already started the countdown. The main event will start soon.”

A sigh she let out as Joohyun let herself relax while waiting for the fireworks show to start. She can hear the faint yelling of the countdown coming from the main spot, the voices that were filled with excitement from the people who couldn’t wait to see a bunch of colorful flowers appear in the night sky. Joohyun unconsciously does the countdown together with them by counting the numbers inside her heart. She can feel herself becoming giddy from what’s about to come.

Surely, after they screamed ‘One!’, the first firework blast in the sky. Starting the main event in such a magnificent way as a huge ball of sparks filled the dark curtain of the celestial sphere.

It was such a majestic show, Joohyun never watched something as beautiful as this in her life. Her eyes are fixated on the fireworks that kept decorating the night in its colorful sparks. As if it was putting her in a strong spell, enchanting her with its undeniable beauty.

She tilted her head to the side to tell Seungwan that the firework show was so beautiful when her words got hitched just right at the base of .

Because right now, the view beside her is more than majestic.

Her side profile greeted her as soon as she turned her head to look at her. There is a certain calmness inside the hot chocolate orbs of her, sparking in colors with the help of the fireworks above them. The soft skin of her face glows with the help of the sky flowers, changing from blue to purple hue, depending on which firework is currently blasting up in the middle of the night. Her serene expression makes everything perfect. She looks like she didn’t have anything currently weighing her shoulders. She looks like she is free, enjoying her life to the fullest without the need to care about anything else.

The sight that makes her heart start to beat like she has a new reason for continuing to do so. Her eyes unable to look away from such a wonderful sight, she can feel the butterflies fluttering happily inside her. The field of flowers in her heart dances like it was the time of their life, like everything that ever happens leads down to this moment.

Joohyun falls in love with the same person for the second time, and she lets herself fall freely into the euphoric feeling.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” muttered Seungwan softly, almost like a whisper.

“Yeah, it is,” croaked out Joohyun, still staring at the woman that was sitting just right beside her. She didn’t find any motivation to look away because something like this will never happen again in her life. And Joohyun doesn’t want to regret everything by missing even a slight fraction of change in her expression. “So beautiful.”

Seungwan let out a soft chuckle, liking how Joohyun seems to agree with her sentiment. Joohyun followed with a soft giggle afterwards. She had a nice minute for herself to continue staring at Seungwan without fearing she would get caught by the older woman. Because she knows Seungwan, and she knows the scientist will always ignore her surroundings every time she is being too fixated on something. In this case, the fireworks help her in staring at her first love unabashedly.

She decided to enjoy this moment, to enjoy this intimacy shared between the two of them. Joohyun sent her one last smile before she looked up again to enjoy the sight of the beautiful fireworks. She caught herself stopped breathing from such a great view currently being served in front of her.

“This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen with my own two eyes,” gasped Joohyun with awe over the sparks that were forming into the shape of a dragon, dancing across the night sky like it was the main stage.

“It is,” murmured Seungwan. “It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.”

Her lips formed into a wide smile after Seungwan agreed with her comment. Joohyun allowed herself to relax as she enjoyed the spectacle before her, making sure that she will remember this moment for the rest of her life. She keeps it inside the special compartment in her mind, for her to reminisce someday about everything that happens today. About everything special that she shared with the most special person in her life.

And being painfully unaware about the fact that Seungwan was looking at her when she said that.

---

somehow this joohyun kind of reminds me of brat irene jshdkjshjdkjshd

anyway, please leave a comment and let me know what you think about this story! if you want to interact with me, you can find me on twitter (just follow, i will accept)! feel free to also buy me a coffee!

i think that's all from me. thank you for reading, i hope you enjoy and like this work, and see you in the next chapter!