Nine [M]

This Thing We Call Love

Jealousy isn't a foreign concept for Kibum. He'd been jealous of Changsun, and of Jinki, and of some of the other people Jonghyun had been with before, after all.

But he doesn't feel like he has any right to be jealous this time. He is, though.

He realizes, as he's watching the way Changmin is talking with a fond smile as his hand is clamped on Minho's shoulder, that the burning feeling in his gut is jealousy.

It might have to do with the grin on Minho's face. It's extremely soft, full of adoration. He's already made it clear that he thinks the world of Changmin, had always thought the world of the senior in his major, and wanted to learn so much about acting from him.

So, Kibum just grits his teeth and waits for it to end. They'd been at the school's cafeteria, after Minho had whisked him away from his designs with persistence because he already knew Kibum had been skipping meals in order to get his project done. They didn't talk about anything of import, and they did more bickering than actual talking, but Kibum's heart had swelled with affection anyway.

Until Changmin showed up, with a bright and cheery call of Minho's name, and taken up one of the empty chairs at their table. Kibum could only stare as the pit in his stomach grew wider, feeling like an outsider and letting the resentment fester within him.

It isn't even like they're talking about anything important, either. They're talking about golfing, of all the things in the world. Why Minho even has an inkling of interest in the sport is beyond him.

He almost feels like a third wheel as he sits there; and the moment that idea swirls in his head he knows he has to bow out. It's not even like he's dating Minho. He needs to get some space and fast.

"I'm going to head back," he says abruptly, which unintentionally disrupts the conversation before him.

As he stands up, he notices both Changmin and Minho are gaping at him in what can either be surprise or suspicion.

Just as he turns to leave the table, Minho reaches out and grabs his wrist. Kibum stills, fighting the red that is threatening to overwhelm his face. He just keeps his head a little bowed, hoping to get better control of his emotions before he makes them obvious.

"I'll come with you," Minho says to him, and Kibum doesn't have to turn to know that there's a charming little grin on his face when he turns his attention back to Changmin.

"Let's talk later, hyung."

He doesn't wait for a response of any sort. He just releases Kibum's wrist and walks past him, expectant for Kibum to follow. Kibum stumbles after him in embarrassment. He knows he shouldn't be as petulant and embarrassing as he is, knows that Minho doesn't owe him anything.

"You didn't have to stop talking to him because of me," he says with a little shrug of his shoulders,

"I could get back to my studio alone."

Minho turns his head, throwing a look at Kibum that makes it clear that's not what his face had shown earlier. The tall boy sighs, slipping his hands into the pockets of his tracksuit.

"It's not like I can ignore him, Bummie," Minho explains, which he's never even needed to do for anyone and especially not for Kibum,

"He's my senior. I have a lot of respect for him"

Which is something that Kibum had heard before, by Jonghyun in regards to Jinki. He wonders if he's going to have his heart broken again just because he can't seem to learn his lesson about not falling for his roommates.

"Are you sure it's just respect?" Kibum asks, and even he is aware of the bite in his tone,

"You're not hiding years worth of feelings for him?"

Minho hears the resentment in his tone as welll, judging by how abruptly he stops walking. He spins right where he stands, and his eyes are slightly narrowed. They're so intense, like they're trying to look right through him.

"Are you jealous, Bummie?" Minho asks, and there's a little glimmer of something in his eyes that makes Kibum feel like he's being taunted.

Which wouldn't be too surprising. Of course Minho would about it. Kibum, whose never shown an ounce of interest in him other than to pick a fight couldn't possibly feel anything different towards him.

"As if," Kibum retorts with a roll of his eyes, and he knocks into Minho's shoulder as he passes, suddenly unable to maintain even the briefest of eye contact.

"I just don't want to deal with another fistfight in a public space," he continues, and he even forces a little scoff afterwards.

He can't let himself be too obvious, that's for sure. He's never been Minho's type, and the tall boy would never take him seriously.

"If you're not jealous why are you walking so fast?" Minho counters, and boy is he right. It's because of his long legs that he's even able to catch up with Kibum's brisk pace.

And that grin in his tone is only getting more apparent per footstep. It digs under Kibum's skin and makes him feel caught, trapped in a prison of his own feelings.

Kibum glares at Minho's shoes, since it means he won't have to raise his eyes to glare into the tall boy's own. He doesn't know why Minho's so obsessed with him and his jealousy anyway.

"Maybe I'm just trying to get away from you!" Kibum snaps in Minho's direction, and he turns a corner. His building is just a few feet aw-

He's distracted, caught off guard when Minho grabs into his forearm and pulls. Kibum goes crashing into his side, lifting his head up to glare because there was literally no point in that, was there?

But there was. Not even an instant later, a pair of underclassmen are running by with two overloaded carts of science equipment that look like they're going to topple over onto anyone in their path. Kibum clears his throat, feeling a whole new wave of embarrassment take him over.

"Are you sure you want to get away from me?" Minho asks, and he sounds so close that Kibum can't stop himself from turning to see just how close he is.

And he has to bite his gasp back. Minho is so close that the tips of their noses are nearly brushing against each other, and Kibum can nearly feel Minho's naturally long eyelashes flutter against his cheek. Minho's hand is still wrapped around his arm, and one of his hands surprisingly made its way to Minho's shirt, bunching up the visibly expensive material so carelessly.

"Oh," he says as he releases Minho and take a step back so wide that there's nearly a chasm between them.

He can't say anything else. He doesn't trust his words, or his mouth's ability to articulate them. Anything that comes out of his mouth now will only serve to further embarrass him and give Minho more material to taunt him with.

"If you wanted a kiss, you should have just said so," Minho continues to taunt, which is just so unfair.

Why is Minho so unaffected even while he's fighting every one of his own body's urges to get flustered? Does he even know what his taunting is doing to Kibum, or is he really just doing all of this to get under his skin?

"Why would I want to kiss you of all people?" Kibum asks, and it's supposed to sound cold and indifferent, but his pitch is a little high and the last word cracks at the end to betray his nervousness.

Minho is stock still for a moment. Like he really has to think about Kibum's words and the meaning behind them. His tongue darts out to moisten his lips, and Kibum watches his Adam's apple bob when he swallows thickly.

Oh, how Kibum would love to feel it against his mouth.

He should look away, Kibum realizes. He should, but he can't. He's entirely too fixated on the look of surprise on Minho's face, on the way his eyes soften and that arrogant little smirk fades into something so fragile and gentle that Kibum's left speechless once more.

"You... you actually like me, don't you, Bummie?" Minho asks, and the teasing in his tone is gone. He seems to get how vulnerable the question itself makes Kibum feel, especially with how his last relationship with Jonghyun had ended.

But Kibum, petrified by his own feelings and the look of adoration that's taking over Minho's face, wants to run. He can't handle all of this right now. He can't even begin to fathom how difficult it'd be if he and Minho work out as poorly as he and Jonghyun had.

"Minnie," he breathes out with a shake of his head,

"I can't."

 


 

Do you know how it feels to get your heart shattered by the only person who can care for it? Minho knows, and he knows how terrible it feels to live with the aftermath. Kibum knows it, too, and his heartbreak is still so all consuming that he has trouble simply moving on from it.

Because even if his heart is still ready to move on, his fears still get realized when he's faced with memories of love that hadn't lasted the test of time.

"I can't," Kibum says as he takes a small step away, like he's ready to bolt.

And Minho knew he was going to get rejected. He'd been so confident, so sure that he'd be able to help Kibum repair his broken heart and know he also deserved to be loved, but Kibum didn't want him.

"Is this because of hyung?" Minho asks, and he doesn't know how he's able to keep his composure. His heartbeat is wildly beating in his ears, and his fingers are trembling at his sides. He wants nothing more than to reach forward and grab onto Kibum, shake him, ask him why it can't be him.

"Yes. No. Kind of." Kibum tells him, which isn't really much of an explanation. He doesn't even really know why he's rejecting Minho.

"I can wait if you need more time, Bummie." Minho says, and he's aware of how desperate his tone is sounding. He's aware of it, and also aware of how he's alright with being desperate. He'd do anything for Kibum to return his affections.

"What if we don't work out, Minnie?" Kibum asks, and he's taking another step away. He's losing his own confidence, losing even the will to be near each other.

Minho wants to tell him that won't happen. He wants to show and prove that he'll never stop loving Kibum and that they'll always be happy, but when he takes a step to get closer, Kibum takes one in the opposite direction.

"Our entire friend group changed when Jonghyun and I split up, Minnie." Kibum tells him, and there's a plea in his tone somewhere.

Minho's not sure if he's trying to convince Minho or himself.

"That doesn't mean that things will be the same if you say yes to me, Bummie." Minho tells him, like he doesn't already know this.

"I know, but I don't think I want to risk losing you if they are the same," Kibum answers, and Minho hates this.

He hates that Kibum always has to be right, even in moments like these where Minho's conviction should be strong enough that he himself isn't swayed by refusals and doubts.

"So you'd rather risk being unhappy? When I think you know as well as I do that you can be happy with me?" Minho shoots back, and he forces his tone to be even, challenging.

It won't do him any good if he backs down now. He is known to be the most stubborn of their friend group after all.

Kibum is silent, his eyes widened and his mouth parting ever so slightly in surprise at Minho's rebuttal. He looks like he's really trying his hardest to come up with an argument to Minho's point, and the tall boy just can't have that.

"Are you really afraid that we won't work out?" Minho asks, and he takes steps forward to close the distance between them.

Kibum is still frozen where he stands, his eyes ever so focused on Minho like it's the first time he's really seeing him.

"Or are you just so used to being hurt and unhappy that you're scared about how well we would work together?"

And judging by the way Kibum takes in a raggedy breath, Minho knows he's hit the nail on the head. Kibum doesn't have much dating experience, but nearly all of his precious relationships had ended in heartbreak for him. Why have expectations if they're always being crushed?

When he's just a breath's space away from Kibum, he leans down the rest of the distance between them until they're nose-to-nose. Kibum looks up at him, his eyes crossing ever so slightly. It's a comical sight that Minho already knows his own expression is mirroring, and yet it does nothing to lessen to romantic tension between them that's so strong in this moment.

"Just trust me. This once, just trust me," he's nearly begging, and he watches as Kibum's gaze flickers between his eyes like he's looking for an ounce of insincerity.

They both know he won't find one.

And there's a growing sense of expectancy. They're close enough to kiss that maybe they should just go for it, consequences be damned. But just throwing themselves headfirst would do nothing to soothe Kibum's growing anxiety.

Kibum and Jonghyun themselves had jumped headfirst into a relationship, and he knows Kibum's using the fear of repeating all the past mistakes they've made as reasons he can't pursue more with Minho.

The slighter inhales through his mouth, and it's a slow breath he's inhaling. Minho's eyes are drawn to the way his lips flex as he does so.

"One date." Kibum relents, and the tips of his ears are turning red as he even suggests it. He glances past Minho's head, like looking directly at him will sap all of his courage away,

"Just to see if we have what it takes to be good together."

"And then we can go from there," Minho continues off, and he's nodding his agreement.

Its not a bad idea and he knows it. If he has to put extra care into showing Kibum that they are, in fact, meant to be together, he'd follow the slighter's lead. He's more than happy to follow the slighter's lead.

Kibum nods his head, his lips pressing into a thin line. He's still looking away from Minho's face, but his face is burning more red than it had been just moments prior. He must be surprised by Minho's ability to understand what he means without having to explain himself.

"Do you... mind giving me some space?" Kibum asks all of a sudden, and the nervousness in his voice is so strong that Minho is really struggling to keep himself from kiss-

And then he looks down and realizes they're nearly pulled flush together. Any closer and more Uruk literally be in each other's skin. That's probably not something he should be thinking about even before their first date, is it?

Instead, Minho relents. He takes a step back, and then another; and his hands slip right back into his pockets. He's afraid that if he leaves them out for a second longer he really won't be able to keep from reaching out and claiming what he's always wanted.

"So, tonight?" He asks, as a means to catch Kibum off guard.

It works, just like all of his previous attempts to rile the slighter up today alone. He knows he shouldn't tease so much, but Kibum gets to he so endearing when he's animated. It makes it hard to stop teasing Kibum when he starts.

"Tonight?" Kibum echoes, but his voice is loud in his panic. It's last minute, which isn't something that Kibum is happy about.

Kibum likes well planned dates; and even in normal group settings, he doesn't like spontaneity. He spent days planning dates back when he had dated Jonghyun, but that's the reason Minho decides to spring this on him. He doesn't want Kibum to think they'll be absolutely the same as his previous relationship had been.

"Tonight." Minho repeats, and he raises an eyebrow in a challenge he knows that Kibum won't be able to refuse. He doesn't always seem like it, but he can be just as competitive as Minho is.

He doesn't want to chicken out and make it obvious that he's scared especially if he's the one who originally made the proposition to go out together.

And it's clear on his face that he's questioning his own decision to pursue a date with Minho after all; and while someone else would lose their courage in the presence of such indecision, Minho can also see that the spark of curiosity is filling the slighter's gaze.

"This better be the best damn first date the entire world has ever seen, Choi," Kibum mutters as he turns and heads in the direction of the art building,

"I'll see you tonight. Don't be a lousy date."

Minho watches as he fades away, his heart fluttering as he does. Sure, it's going to be a lot of pressure to plan something so last second, but he knows Kibum well enough that he's confident he can at least give him an impressionable first date.

 


 

He's curled up on the living room sofa with Jongin when the front door to their suite is thrown open and Jonghyun walks in. He's smiling that dumb, dopey smile he's been wearing ever since the night he and Jinki had fought.

Taemin doesn't know of all the details, but the following morning when he'd come home to check and make sure everyone was still alive in one piece, he'd been pleasantly surprised by the shy and fond smiles that decorated both Jinki and Jonghyun's expressions.

He shared a look with Jongin, and his boyfriend is looking a little resigned when he removes his arms and sits up on the sofa. He knows better than to get involved when Taemin looks as mischievous as he does, and just smiles that little knowing smile when Taemin gets off the sofa and crosses the space to wrap his arm around Jonghyun.

Surprised, Jonghyun looks up at him with an eyebrow raised and allows himself to be guided. He looks over and finds Jongin sitting there, and there's a twinkle in his eyes.

"Hi, Jonginnie. It's good to see you!" And he means it.

All of Taemin's roommates are kind and welcoming to Jongin, because they're all aware of how much of a handful Taemin can be and they're more than happy that someone can keep him the least bit under control. Which is not actually a possibility, since Jongin is a lot more timid than Taemin by nature, but him being around still seems to make them happy.

"Hi, hyung," Jongin responds in kind, the tips of his ears turning pink. He's always looked up to Jonghyun, asking the elder for tips on how to strengthen his vocals and connect better to his audience.

And Taemin pushes him down onto the sofa, making sure the elder is sandwiched between himself and Jongin. There's a flicker of confusion on both of their faces that has Taemin biting his grin back at. It's cute when people don't seem to understand his motives.

"I've always wondered. Is hyung good in bed?" Taemin asks, and Jonghyun bursts into a fit of coughs.

Jongin's not coughing, not laughing either. He's got his lips pressed together as he breathes in deeply. His face is bright red, though. Either because he's been wondering the same thing or because he's mortified by Taemin's train of thought.

"You can't just ask people-" Jonghyun splutters, absolutely scandalized. His eyes are wide, almost popping out of his skull entirely.

But Taemin can read through his defensiveness. That fluster is so sudden and protective of a truth that's probably hard for Jonghyun to really grasp.

They haven't taken it to the bedroom yet. Which must be absolutely killing Jonghyun. He's known to be full of passion, and is tactile with people he likes romantically.

Jinki's not a , as far as anyone else knows. He's talked about a few hookups over the years, anyway. There could be a number of things holding him back, which is expected, but Taemin had expected Jonghyun to break his walls down by now.

"What are you afraid of?" Taemin's asking, and his previous attempts to rile Jonghyun up by teasing him is abandoned. It's all too clear by his expression that he's been struggling with this, too.

Jonghyun glances over at Jongin, like he's unsure of how much he should share outside of their immediate group, but Jongin's always proven to be trustworthy to them.

"He's still ... struggling, with his voice. I figured I'd give him some space and let him decide for himself what he wants to do before I pressure him again." Jonghyun explains with a halfhearted shrug.

And in that moment, Taemin feels sympathy for the two eldest of their friend group. They've all seen how hard it was for Kibum and Jonghyun to return to being friends, so they're all aware that the shift in relationship is something they have to get used to.

For Jonghyun and Jinki, who are still learning how to be more than lovers, it must be hard trying to balance emotions.

"I think you shouldn't give him too much space," Jongin speaks up, his voice hesitant like he's unsure if his opinion is welcome here. Taemin suddenly resents the fact that Jonghyun is sitting between them, but he reaches around the elder to place a hand on Jongin's shoulder and squeeze it in an act of providing comfort.

"What if we start fighting again?" Jonghyun asks with just the slightest tremor of his lower lip, like he's really starting to worry that he's pressing too hard.

"Then you stop and you listen to him, and you remind him that you're not pressing to hurt him but because you love him." Jongin replies easily, and he even shrugs, like it's just that simple.

And, again, Taemin finds himself falling harder in love simply because of the way Jongin thinks. It might be because he's impartial, but he really does attempt to find the solution that affects everyone the least.

Jonghyun stares at Jongin for a little while, then turns to Taemin with a little chuckle slipping past his lips. He places a hand on Taemin's knee and squeezes it in a fond manner.

"Don't let him go, Taem. He's good for you," Jonghyun says, like Taemin didn't know that already. He gets up and walks away without sparing another glance in their direction.

Taemin rolls his eyes, doesn't bother calling to the elder's back as he slips into their shared bedroom. He can feel the red that's taking his face over, but that's not because of what Jonghyun's said at all.

Instead, his entire face is turning red because Jongin is looking at him with that dopey, lovesick look in his eyes, up from underneath his eyelashes like they're supposed to make his stolen glances any more subtle.

"I always forget how embarrassing my hyungs are," is what he murmurs, as a last ditch attempt to collect his emotions and his composure.

Jongin actually snickers as he leans over, using the way it startled Taemin into turning his head to press the sweetest of kisses onto his lips. Taemin follows after him greedily, hates the very fact that it ends when it does.

"You say they're embarsssing but I know how much you love them," Jongin tells him, lifting a hand to ruffle his hair like like he's just being ridiculous. He supposes, in a way, that he is.

Taemin rolls his eyes again, scoffing as he pushes at Jongin's shoulder in an attempt to get further. It proves no use, as Jongin's already got his arms wrapped around Taemin once more and is tugging them back down to their previous cuddling position. Here, with his head on Jongin's chest and Jongin's arms wrapped so tightly around his waist and his body heat radiating onto Taemin's skin, is where Taemin is at his happiest.

They're back to watching the cheesy American movie that they'd been playing just to have something to listen to as they talked and occasionally shared a kiss or two. Taemin can sit like this all day with Jongin and feel content, untroubled by daily nuisances. He thinks it's the same for Jongin when he tilts his head in order to press a kiss onto his forehead.

"I love you more, though." Taemin says, cutting through the dialogue on the television.

His declaration startles Jongin, who had been absentmindedly rubbing a hand up and down his arm. His hand stills for a moment, and the steady weight of his head against Taemin's is lifted.

Taemin tilts his own head just enough to see the expression on his face and is startled to find his boyfriend staring at him with intensity in his eyes. It's not a new look and it's not foreign on his face, and yet Taemin nearly folds over with a surge of want that travels through his system.

Jongin can do absolutely nothing, but Taemin will still find something that drives his body into wanting to touch, to feel, to kiss.

"What do you say we kick hyung out of our room?" Taemin asks, and he has a hand trailing up and down Jongin's chest. He's not being subtle in the slightest, but Jongin is the polite type and likely won't feel right about kicking Jonghyun out just so they c-

But he's surprised when Jongin gets up, pulls him up by the wrist, and takes them into Taemin's shared room with Jonghyun. They don't even need to say anything. Just one look in their direction is enough to have Jonghyun smirking.

"Condoms are in the top drawer of my dressser," he tells them, because he has no tact whatsoever, and then he's out of their room and hair.

He likely should be more mortified by Jonghyun's casual reaction and the fact that the elder already knows what they're up to, but instead of dwelling on one of his embarrassing hyungs, Taemin drags Jongin to him and pushes him onto his bed.

Jongin doesn't fight him, goes along willingly like he's tethered to Taemin and just merely going along for the ride. He's always been that way, comfortable with leading but sitting back when he knows Taemin's got something planned.

"I love you, too, Taemin." Jongin finally tells him, a delayed response to Taemin's words in the common area.

He already knows, but he doesn't mind hearing it again. One more time, not even one million times would be enough for him.

 


 

Jonghyun pretends. He pretends there aren't two boys doing who-knows-what in his bedroom. He pretends he doesn't hear Minho flying about in his room muttering profanity after profanity to himself as he shouts to himself about a date. And he pretends that the nerves aren't killing him as he mentally works through what he wants to say to Jinki.

The beginning of their relationship is going just about how any new relationship is going. They might have been friends for years, but this is extremely new territory for either of them. Jonghyun doesn't really like, takes every opportunity to get to know Jinki like they're brand new to each other.

It's just that, well, they're still working through the recovery of that fight they'd had at the beach, and Jonghyun is so afraid of tipping the balance in an unfavored direction that he chooses to give as much space to Jinki as the elder needs.

Even if all he wants to do is press the elder down into his own mattress and --

The front door opens, and it's too quiet to be Kibum. It's Jinki, with a textbook held in the crook of his arm and a little fond smile that takes place on his expression when he looks up and finds that Jonghyun is in the common area.

"Hey," Jinki greets him, and after he carelessly tosses his books aside, he holds his arms out for Jonghyun,

"Come here, baby."

And, while his weakened knees make it extremely hard for him to do so, Jonghyun stumbles his way over to Jinki and allows the elder to wrap him up in a slow, gentle kiss. He might not be in a rush to get them into bed, but Jinki is good at showing him affection, sharing words of affirmation when he feels like Jonghyun is in need of them.

Plus, being called baby? How did Jinki even know how much that affected him?

"How was class?" Jonghyun asks when their lips part. He needs to ease the topic onto Jinki, knowing how frustrated the whole situation with his throat made the elder.

While he's not regretful for their fight all those days ago, he's not entirely excited to go at it again. His ribs just finished screaming at him in protest every time he so much as moved.

Jinki hums as he releases Jonghyun, moving past him with a little shrug that he's using to show his nonchalance, "Don't know. I didn't go."

Which is a cause for alarm for Jonghyun. Jinki is a diligent student, isn't the type to skip classes like the rest of them would if they felt like they needed a little break from them.

"Can I ask... why?" Jonghyun tries with deliberate slowness. He's hoping he's asking with enough casualness that Jinki doesn't feel like he is being trapped this time.

Jinki can tell what he's doing immediately, and he turns to look at Jonghyun with his lips pressed together and his eyes wary.

"You don't have to be so scared to talk to me, Jonghyunie, I won't throw a punch at you again. You know how much I hate that I ever hurt you to begin with."

By the end of his little rant, Jinki's shoulders are deflated and he's even sighing a little. He looks exhausted all of a sudden, burdened by too many thoughts in his mind.

So, Jonghyun breathes out in relief and closes the distance between them. He reaches up, wraps an arm around Jinki's shoulders, and pulls until the elder's head is resting against his shoulder. He holds Jinki like this, carding his hand through his hair.

The red in it is fading, he notes. It might be time to dye it again soon.

"I know. I'm sorry, Jinki," and he presses a little kiss to the top of the elder's head, hoping that his earnestly is made clear,

"I just don't want to see you as distressed as you were back then."

Jinki chuckles a little and pulls back, pressing a kiss of his own onto Jonghyun's temple. When he releases Jonghyun's waist this time, it's to take his hand instead, and he guides them both into sitting on one of the sofas.

Jonghyun remains silent. Giving Jinki time to collect his thoughts and figure out the best way to get them across in times like this is crucial; because as brilliant as he is, Jinki has so many thoughts in his mind that he often forgets to voice them.

His hands are clasped tightly within Jinki's, and the elder's are actually shaking a little, like he's building his courage.

"Talk to me, Jinki," Jonghyun murmurs, and it's a phrase he realizes he's been using a lot lately.

Jinki doesn't lift his head, and his gaze is focused on his hands when he says,

"I went to the surgeon. They said -- they said there's a chance they can reverse the damage that was done to my chords."

Which -- what?

What?

What?

Jinki, the most beautiful but stubborn, pig-headed person that Jonghyun's ever known aside from himself, went willingly to see the doctor?

And he'd gone by himself of all things?

"I'm proud of you," Jonghyun tells him, and it's the honest truth. Jinki deserves to be able to use his talents the way he dreams to use them.

Jinki looks up at him, and his cheeks are tinted red. He looks completely caught off guard by the words of praise, which really could be the case. He's so good at giving praise to others, but his modest nature makes it harder for him to notice his own charms.

"Don't be too proud of me yet," the elder mutters as he turns his gaze away.

Even at his most vulnerable, when he's so unsure of himself, he's just so endearing that Jonghyun can't help the way he reaches forward to tip his chin up and kisses him on the lips.

"I'll be here. With you. However you need me." Jonghyun says as a whisper against his lips.

Jinki actually tears up a little, waving his hand in an effort to shoo Jonghyun like he's being too much. Jonghyun grins, because he just knows how grateful Jinki is even without being told.

The elder looks who at him for a second, like there's so much on his mind that he still has to talk about. It's reminiscent of back in their first year when all they really had was each other. The very thought of it makes Jonghyun's heart flutter.

"Where is everyone?" Jinki asks, because usually by this point everyone is at home and bustling about for dinner.

"Taemin and Jongin are hooking up in our room, Minho's getting ready for a date, and Kibum -- " Jonghyun pauses when he realizes he actually hasn't seen Kibum at all that day.

Jinki seems to understand without being told and reaches out to squeeze his shoulder,

"You said Minho's going on a date, right? Who, besides Kibum, would actually make Minho neevous?"

Which Jonghyun hadn't even really thought about, Jinki has sharp eyes, always seems to notice things that don't really have to do with him. On the other hand, he's also especially oblivious to how others perceive him.

Jinki stares at him for way too long, like he's looking for something in Jonghyun's expression. Possibly why Jonghyun's looking so deep in thought. It's not something he'd be able to miss, either.

"I was thinking, hyung.." Jonghyun trails off, and he notes that Jinki is curling closer.

He's going to give Jonghyun whatever he asks for, whenever he asks for it. That's just the way he loves, giving all of himself without asking for anything in return.

But it's that knowledge that has Jonghyun loss his courage. Jinki is always willing to give up everything and anything just to make someone happy. Why would Jonghyun want to waste his kindness on something so trivial.

"wouldyouliketogoonadafewithme?"

It comes out as a singular word, rushed in its delivery. Jonghyun finds that he's even too nervous to look up and see what kind of expression is on the elder's face.

"A date." Jinki echoes, and Jonghyun does take a quick peek over at him. There's a little smile tugging at the corners of his lips and his eyes are soft.

"I kept meaning to ask you out on one but I always get distracted by your eyes" Jinki tells him, which draws a blank in Jonghyun's mind.

"My eyes?" Jonghyun echoes in confusion, and his eyes flutter as Jinki leans in and presses a kiss to his lips.

"Every time you look at me i forget every last train of thought." He answers, and then he pulls away and stands up, picking his discarded textbook off the ground,

Jonghyun, however, can't let him leave like that. Can't find it in himself to let him leave like that. Who actually says words so sweet, so unprompted, and just walks away?

So he reaches up, wraps a hand around Jinki's wrist, and pulls. Jinki, startled by the force of his grip, topples right back down to the couch, and then Jonghyun's straddling his lap and their mouths are crashing against each other's.

 


 

Jinki is drowning. If someone had told him that he would someday be together with Jonghyun, he would have laughed in their face. Now, he's drowning.

He tries to ignore the arousal that's brinming beneath the surface, but every flick of Jonghyun's tongue against his own draws him closer, makes him want more. He's been unsure about how to ask, if he even deserved to take more from someone he's already taken so much from,

But now, with his fingertips pressing crescents into Jonghyun's waist and Jonghyun humming in approval when he tilts his head just so is doing something to him that he's not sure if he can stop.

And Jonghyun's fingers are as curious as his are, it just so happens Jonghyun's got the boldness that Jinki keeps holding back. The slighter's hands are roaming over his torso, seemingly intent to learn every curve and muscle of Jinki's upper body.

Without any warning, Jonghyun bites down on Jinki's lower lip and pulls. Jinki gasps, the sensation ricocheting through his body and setting his nerves on fire. The gasp is followed by a groan, and one of the hands that had been on Jonghyun's waist moves up to his hair instead. He fists his fingers through the little curls at the nape of Jonghyun's neck and pulls.

Jonghyun melts into it, allows his head to be pulled back so Jinki can have a better look at him. He's already looking so discheveled, his lips swollen and glossy from saliva, his eyes unfocused, the tips of his ears red from the exertion.

Jinki can't help but wonder how his own face looks, especially as he watches the spark of hunger that fills Jonghyun's eyes. He releases his grip on Jonghyun's hair, and Jonghyun takes the opportunity to lean in, brushing his lips along the column of Jinki's neck.

Which does not feel fair, and he's clueless on how to stop the way his body shudders from the burning desire that's building within him. His fingers twitch as he returns them to Jonghyun's hair, this time just to keep him closer, as Jonghyun presses little teasing kisses against his skin.

He doesn't stop at kisses, either. When he's at the base of Jinki's neck, he pulls a small patch of skin into his mouth, ling on it to create a mark. To create his mark, like he thinks Jinki could ever want someone other than him.

When he's satisfied by hickey he's left on the elder's skin, Jonghyun releases it from his mouth. One of his hands comes up to cup the side of Jinki's neck, and he's ever so gentle as he nuzzles into the mark he's left.

"I love you, hyung," Jonghyun says in that breathless tone of his, the one that takes Jinki's mind and slams it into the gutter.

He knows it already, knows that Jonghyun loves him, but just knowing Jonghyun wants him physically in the way Jinki wants him physically revitalizes him much like a fresh pot of coffee.

"Come here," Jinki instructs him, his voice a little quiet in the lull of the air.

Jonghyun obliges, allowing Jinki to pull him back in for yet another kiss. He leans into it, and he's smiling against Jinki's lips.

"Oh god. Can you take this into your room or something?" Taemin's voice calls out, and both Jinki and Jonghyun turn.

It's a slow movement, their faces lighting up in mortification as they turn to face the tall boy. They should've expected that someone would walk in on them, considering they were making out like high schoolers on the common room sofa, but it's still embarrassing to be on the receiving end of Taemin's teasing look.

His voice is loud and demanding enough that it draws Jongin out of the room, and even Minho's come out of his room to figure out what's going on. He's half dressed already, and has one of his button down shirts in hand.

"Is that a hickey?" Minho asks this time, and there's a little curl of his lip that tells Jinki he's a little disgusted at having to see them like this.

Jonghyun clears his throat and gets up, though his embarrassment typically always shifts into frustration. He hates it when people point out things that have nothing to do with them.

"Don't act like you weren't just in there with your in his ," Jonghyun tells Taemin with a jerk of his head in Jongin's direction.

Jongin, poor Jongin, looks between Jonghyun and Jinki and sheepishly says, 

"Other way around."

Which seems to make Jonghyun's brain malfunction. His eyes widen, and he's looking at Taemin like he's unsure if he should question or congratulate him.

Jinki quietly shuffles in the direction of his room to escape the mortification that's making the air feel heavy all around them. He thinks he'll make it all the way to his room before anyone realizes he's missing, that he can dig through his old makeup kits and find something that'll cover his hickey so that this conversation doesn't have to be repeated until it fades naturally.

"Hyung, where are you going?" Minho asks in that slightly amused, slightly frustrated fashion of his, and he's using his free hand to point at him.

Jinki stills where he's standing, but it's too late. Jonghyun turns to look at him, and his lips form that petulant pout that he always gets when he doesn't get his way.

And then the younger smiles. No. It's more like a smirk. The type that alerts Jinki into knowing he's planning something mischievous. And he should leave now before anything happens, but he's curious. Just what is it that Jonghyun is planning to do?

Jonghyun walks in his direction, holds a hand out, and smacks him on the . Jinki stumbles in surprise but manages to stay on his feet, his eyebrows flying upward as he wonders if Jonghyun's finally lost his mind.

"Oh look. That's a nice bounce you've got, hyung," Taemin decides to say, and he's really lucky he's got a partner like Jongin who's used to him saying crazy things to rile people up.

"That was gross," Minho tells them with a little shudder of his body.

"Like you won't do worse when you and Bummie finally make it official," Jonghyun retorts with a scoff.

And before another argument breaks out, Jinki tightens his hold on his textbook and hurries to his room. He loves Jonghyun with all of his heart, but even he thinks the younger can be too much sometimes.

A little while later, presumably after Minho's slipped out for his date, Jinki's bedroom door creaks open.

"Jinki?" Jonghyun calls out, his voice just a little unsure, like he could ever be unwelcome,

"Are you mad at me?"

He isn't. He likely can never be truly angry with Jonghyun, but he can pretend. He's got the poker face of a true champion at his disposal, and he's not afraid to use it. Especially after Jonghyun's earlier tricks.

He goes with the silent treatment, his lips pressing together as he holds the peels of laughter that's threatening to slip out of his mouth back. His pen is still scrawling away at the lines of his notebook.

Not one to let things go, Jonghyun pulls his chair back and seats himself on top of Jinki's desk, which is a little annoying because now he's getting prints all over Jinki's work.

Still, when Jinki looks up and finds Jonghyun staring down at him, he loses the will to even pretend that he's angry.

"I was never actually mad at you," Jinki clarifies, and his hand reaches up to clasp onto one of Jonghyun's,

"even if you like to embarrass the hell out of me."

Jonghyun snickers, then brings his free hand up and brushes it along the slope of Jinki's neck, and along the little hickey he had placed there to begin with.

Jinki's eyes nearly flutter shut, and Jonghyun's touch is gentle enough that it nearly has him gasping from the sensation of it.

"Good, because someday, you're going to be covered in marks like this."

And his voice is low, raspy. It's enough to actually have Jinki gasp as he lets the words unwind in his mind. Jonghyun's always been the tactile one, always been the one for physical acts of intimacy. It might make Jinki feel shy and judged by others, but he couldn't say he didn't want to be parading around campus with proof that he's loved by Jonghyun. 

 


 

Sorry for the delay. I've had a busy week at work and didn't get the chance to start until last night. I lost some sleep but this chapter was fun enough to write that I don't really mind. I hope you enjoy it. I'll see you next week!