The Bet

Fire & Ice | Moonsun | Wheebyul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moonbyul wasn’t sure what she was doing with her life before this Sunday, before she saw Wheein and paid her attention for the first time.

Because as time passes since that day, she becomes more convinced that she’s meant to do this; she’s meant to spend her life with Wheein.

It might be weird for other people, that it’s only been four days but Moonbyul feels like she’s already in love.

“Why do you always look at me like that?” Wheein asks, after taking a sip at her milkshake.

“Like what?” Moonbyul asks.

“Like that, smiling at me the way you do.” Wheein points out.

The silver-haired girl reached out for Wheein's hand on top of the table. “Wheein, how can you expect me to look at you and not smile?”

She can never understand why people call Moonbyul the Ice Queen when all she brings to Wheein is warmth.

Moonbyul has a satisfied smirk when Wheein’s cheeks turned bright red.

It made sense to Moonbyul though; it was fate. She’s sure of it.

So she decided not to tell Wheein yet. Maybe after the dance, she tells herself. She didn’t want to risk ruining what they have right now.

Yongsun then walks in on Pop’s Diner and Wheein didn’t fail to notice how Moonbyul let go of her hand.

They also didn’t acknowledge each other’s presence, although it was painfully obvious that they’re aware of it.

“Moonbyul, is Yongsun– is she okay with all of this?” Wheein asked hesitantly, breaking the silence between them that settled for a while. She’s almost whispering just to be sure Yongsun couldn’t hear them.

“With what?” Moonbyul asks, clarifying what Wheein actually meant.

“This. Us.” Wheein didn’t know why saying that made her heart jump, as if it were taking a leap of faith.

Moonbyul couldn’t hide her smile. Just thinking about them as one makes Wheein giddy all the way to her bones.

But then she remembers the question, and how it could lead to more questions if she answered honestly.

“Why are you asking that?” Moonbyul didn’t want to tell the truth but she didn’t want to lie either, she hopes Wheein would drop the subject.

“I just- people talk…you know?” Wheein wasn’t sure how to say it, this is all Hyejin’s fault, feeding her with rumors that she didn’t need.

Although, in Hyejin’s defense, people have always been speculating if Yongsun and Moonbyul was ever more than just best friends.

Byul furrowed her eyebrows. “About what?”

“You know Yongsun doesn’t like me, right?” Wheein asked instead, deciding against her first question.

“Yong doesn’t like anybody, Wheein” Moonbyul remarked, laughing it off, because its true.

“But she likes you.” it slipped Wheein’s mouth. She didn’t mean to verbalize it. But nobody can’t deny the truth in that.

Seeing Moonbyul clench her jaw, makes it hard for Wheein to think that the rumors are just rumors.

“We wouldn’t be best friends if we didn’t like each other.” The silver-haired girl reasoned, feigning ignorance with what Wheein really meant.

And Wheein lets it slide, because she isn’t sure if she’s ready to know the truth.

The blonde felt the need to reach for Byul's hands, like some sort of reassurance.

Yongsun and Moonbyul would make much more sense than Wheein and Moonbyul.

But then again, everything only makes sense to Wheein when Moonbyul’s around her.

“I just don’t want to get in the way of your friendship.” Wheein reassured, although it was a complete lie.

“You aren’t.” Moonbyul lied too.

So much for a healthy communication.

Before Wheein could protest and say that it was obviously a lie, Yongsun came by at their table.

“Hello, Whee-Byul” she greeted but she was only looking at Moonbyul.

“Yong. Would you like to sit with us?” Moonbyul asked, expecting Yongsun would decline.

She had never been so wrong.

The pink haired girl sat beside Moonbyul of course.

Why would Yongsun pass up the opportunity to ruin their moment?

Moonbyul must’ve been out of her mind, Yongsun thinks.

That’s when Moonbyul noticed that Yongsun has been drinking.

She is still composed and her words aren’t slurry but Yongsun knows she’s drunk by the way she looks at her.

They’ve done it so many times before, and Yongsun only looks at her this certain way when she’s drunk.

“Who are you with tonight, Yong?” the taller girl asked curiously, Yongsun doesn’t like being alone.

Yongsun just raised an eyebrow at her friend. “Obviously no one. Since you’re here with Wheein.” She spat the blonde’s name as if it was poison, eyeing a very quiet Wheein.

This time, Wheein was the one to retract her hand from Moonbyul’s hold.

“I’m sure Joohyun would gladly accompany you, if you asked her.” The silver-haired girl replied.

“But I like you, Byulie, and not her.” She said looking at a very flushed Moonbyul. “…to accompany me.” She added, too late for Wheein to think that’s what she really meant.

“Yong, you drank too much again.” Moonbyul said like scolding a little child.

And Wheein just sat there, watching them interact. She couldn’t help but notice the way Yongsun' eyes flicker from Moonbyul’s eyes down to her lips.

And she’s pretty sure Moonbyul notices but she doesn’t look like she minds at all; like she’s so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter