MINE

MINE

 

I decided to change the format of my story line since some of you are getting confused about it. I believe I wrote the past two chapters faulty that caused misunderstanding to all of you. The song lyrics are highlighted with saddle brown/gold hue and it is written like poem in italic form. So, here’s the new first chapter of MINE. I'm 100% sure that everyone will never dive into confusion tonight after reading this chapter. Enjoy!! :-)

 

 

 

 

 

Henry Wadsworth once said that music is the language of mankind. Its language is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate, according to Arnold Bennett.

 

 

We’ve been together for years and counting. Not as a couple, but as individual who shared similar love and passion for music. Our lives revolved in the world of notes and lyrics, melodies and rhythms. Every heart beat and breathing was for it. I thought it was the reason why we met and why we were hand in hand for such a long time. Until one day, I just woke up not for my passion for music anymore, but for the passion of loving her.

 

 

I still remembered the very first day I laid my eyes on her. She wore a pink puffed sleeve dress that windy morning. Her golden hair danced along the airy wind. I tried approaching her, but she was in a hurry. It was then I realized she was going to play the piano along with the choirs inside that church. I felt lucky—for I belonged in the picture as a guitar boy.

 

 

Music was our common ground.

 

 

It was our common cheer.

 

 

And was our common thread that linked us together for years.

 

 

Years come and go unnoticeably. I was a guitar man and she was a piano lady. We insanely played our favourite musical instrument whenever we want to. We were into the same band. She sometimes sung a song when it suited her mood or when she just felt the feeling behind the song. I was her catcher when he didn’t want to sing. Yet when I sneaked out to lend ears during her rehearsal of her melodramatic songs, I felt my heart pricked when the song was sad. And felt my heart jumping in ruptures when it was happy.

 

 

Everyone who visited the bar where we used to play and sing every night says that we were an awesome band for lovers—for we sung love songs with heart and soul. I knew they felt the passion that was coming within us.

 

 

Until one unforgettable moment happened. Jessica and I sung a duet song on a very cold valentine’s evening.

 

 

I finally found someone, that knocks me off my feet 
I finally found the one, that makes me feel complete 
We started over coffee, we started out as friends 
It's funny how from simple things, the best things begin

This time it's different, dah dah dah dah 
It's all because of you, dah dah dah dah 
It's better than it's ever been 
'Cause we can talk it through 
Oohh, my favorite line was "Can I call you sometime?" 
It's all you had to say to take my breath away


This is it, oh, I finally found someone 
Someone to share my life 
I finally found the one, to be with every night 
'Cause whatever I do, it's just got to be you 
My life has just begun 
I finally found someone, ooh, someone 
I finally found someone, oooh

 

 

After our second performance together, a sweet couple approached us when I helped Jessica stepped down the stage.

 

 

“It was such a nice song.” The man in his mid-20’s said.

 

 

“Thank you, sir.” I replied as I extending my helping hand for Jessica.

 

 

 “Is she your girl friend?” The woman asked curiously.

 

 

 

Her question shook me by surprise. I knew Jessica heard it clearly as she made a face. Yet her face turned out blank easily.

 

 

“No.” I answered hastily as I ruffled my hair unconsciously.

 

 

 “We’re just friends. And…ba—bandmates.” Jessica bugged in, reaching the flat black floor of the bar. She removed her hand in disgruntled manner and excused herself from the scrutinizing eyes of the couple. I didn’t know why she acted like that. But one thing was sure that night, the question pissed her off.

 

 

 “Yes, what she says is all true. We’re just friends.” I said, assuring them of that thing.

 

 

 “Oh, I see. We thought you’re couple like us. Sorry, we’re just being delusional sometimes.” The woman said, bowing her head for apology.

 

 

 “No, no, it’s okay.” I said as I tried stopping her for doing so. “You’re not just the couple that says about that misconception. I’ve encountered the same question four times in our different gig. So, I’m used to it. But then I never forget to clear things at once to everybody.” I continued.

 

 

 “We heard you singing duet with the same girl for the second time. And we can’t avoid thinking that whenever you’re in stage, we see perfect chemistry in both of you.” The woman uttered.

 

 

 “That chemistry is only alive whenever we’re on stage. Maybe because we both love music.” I answered simply—in the best way that I could.

 

 

 “I see. But, you know what? You’re perfectly perfect for each other. I saw fire burning in her eyes. And in your eyes, too.” The man said, concluding his own silly thought. “I know in the right time, one of you will fall. One will realize it. In the very right time.” He continued, winking his eye.

 

 

I didn’t take his words seriously. For I knew, I wouldn’t fall for Jessica. Never. So, I just gave him a forced smile. “I excuse myself now. I still have to prepare for my second number.” I said as I walked my way to the dressing room. And the couple returned to their seats, too.

 

 

“Jessica, what’s your next song?” I asked as I entered the dressing room.

 

 

“Say you love me.  You’re favourite song.” She answered without looking at me.

 

 

“I didn’t know you know that. By the way, good luck!” I said as I concealed the struck that it brought me. I was really surprised that she knew it was my one of my favourite song.

 

 

Jessica left without a word. And I was alone inside the dressing room, what the couple said, kept on bugging me for minutes already. I couldn’t even concentrate on rehearsing my finale song with my guitar. I kept on returning back at one. I hated it.

 

 

Don't you know that I want to be more than just your friend 
Holding hands is fine 
But I've got better things on my mind 
You know it could happen 
If you'd only see me in a different light 
Baby when we finally get together 
You will see that I was right 

Say you love me 
You know that it could be nice 
If you'd only say you love me 
Don't treat me like I was ice 

Please love me 
I'll be yours and you'll be mine 
And if you'd only say you love me baby 
Things would really work out fine 

 

 

It was the song I barely heard that would slip off through . I once told her that that song perfectly suited for her voice. But she didn’t listen to me. I didn’t know why. And I didn’t bother asking her about what was her reason.

 

 

As she started singing the two lines of the song, I felt something different was happening inside me. My heart was pounding really fast as I peeked to stare at her on stage. She glistened before my eyes—like crystal under the rays of the sun. Her beauty was splendid—like flowers prettily blooming under the hot summer sky.

 

 

She continued to sing while my heart melted to its sweet melody. I was totally clueless why I found myself so fascinated to her. I didn’t know what was happening to me that time. Nonetheless, I just enjoyed listening to her lovely voice.
 

 

 

The night was just about to end; I saw her leaning her back against the opening door. She must be tired as I noticed she slouched suddenly and gave her lower back a few tap. Idea crossed my mind as my feet walked all alone by itself to the bar and made two cups of Joe for us.

 

 

“Coffee?”  I asked as I offered it to her.

 

 

“Thanks! This will somewhat lessen my tiredness that creeps inside me before I go home.” She said as her hands held the hot cup.

 

 

“You’re welcome.” I replied happily. “I see you slouched and thought of making you a cup of hot coffee. I’m not good at making coffee, but I hope somehow…”

 

 

“No, it’s actually delicious. I like creamy coffee.” She said as she cut me off.

 

 

“Hae, have you ever experienced falling in love?” She asked out of the blue.

 

 

“No, but I dreamed of being in love.” I answered.

 

 

“Twenty-three years of my life I spend it with music. I just thought how many years would I spend with the right one if time never stops striking and I’m getting older each year.” She said as she encircled her hands around the hot cup. I saw the steam rising above.

 

 

“Don’t rush. It’ll come.” I said, giving her a tap on her shoulder.

 

 

“I know. I hope the man that is destined to be with me would be as good and loving as you.” She said, staring back at me. Our eyes met. And from that very moment, I felt something went wrong inside me, particularly in my heart.

 

 

But I kept it within me.

 

 

People are talking, talking about people
I hear them whisper, you won't believe it
They think we're lovers kept under covers
I just ignore it, they keep saying'

Laugh just a little too loud
Stand just a little too close
Stare just a little too long
Maybe they're seeing, something we don't darling