Chapter 7: Over the Sky

The Dreamcatcher

Must it really be her, Jiu-unnie? She's insufferable," Siyeon grumbled as the quartet took up position across the street, eyeing a modest building. It was a small establishment, its facade weathered and slightly faded, its windows barred. The brickwork had a decades-old patina, and it exuded an almost nostalgic charm. Beneath the drooping awning, a faded sign hung, swaying slightly, bearing the words: "Sua's Dance School."

With a slight nod, Jiu maintained her steady gaze on the dance studio. "Yes, Siyeon-ah, it has to be her. She is the perfect dancer for our heist."

"But what if she spills the beans? I can't get caught with you guys; they'll deport me back to China," Handong fretted, concerned about her predicament.

"I won't let that happen!" Siyeon burst out, her fists clenched in determination. She was prepared to silence Sua if the situation called for it, even if it meant going against Jiu's will.

"C'mon kids, let's check it out," Jiu said, grinning as she gestured towards Sua's dance studio.

The quartet peered through the window of the humble establishment. Inside, they observed Sua, the embodiment of dedication and passion, engrossed in teaching her students - a mix of kids, teenagers, and adults - the art of dance. Each step was punctuated by her vibrant energy, each move marked by an infectious enthusiasm that seemed to uplift the spirits of her students. It was a mesmerizing sight that juxtaposed Sua's harsh exterior with her genuine passion for dance.

After the class ended, the students, their faces glowing with satisfaction, thanked Sua and left one by one. That's when Jiu and her crew decided to make their entrance. Sua's mood shifted noticeably upon seeing Jiu.

"What are you doing here? Didn't I make myself clear?" Sua hissed, storming towards Jiu. "Get out of my studio!"

"Relax, Sua-ssi, relax," Jiu responded with an easy smile. "We heard you're running a dance school, so we thought we'd check it out. We mean no harm and will be on our way."

"Then get lost already!" Sua barked, anger reverberating in her voice.

Nodding calmly, Jiu continued, "But if you change your mind, please contact us. Dami-ah, give Sua-ssi your phone number." At Jiu's beckoning, Dami scribbled her number on a piece of paper, offering it to Sua, who promptly flung it away.

"I told you, I've got nothing to do with you! Now get lost!" Sua reiterated.

Jiu politely bid her goodbye, instructing the others to do the same. They all extended hesitant goodbyes to Sua, who seethed with suppressed anger.

Siyeon cursed Sua under her breath, earning herself a warning glance from Jiu. Sighing, Siyeon kicked a discarded bottle on the ground. She had been with Jiu the longest, yet sometimes, Jiu's thoughts still baffled her.

 

As they prepared to leave, an unnerving racket from Sua's studio drew their attention back. Pivoting on their heels, they found themselves transfixed by a shocking scene unfolding before them.

A trio of gangsters had stormed the studio - two burly men and a woman, who, despite the chaos around her, maintained an air of elegance. Tall and beautiful, with a slender figure that was accentuated by her perfectly tailored suit, she seemed out of place amidst the destruction. Yet her icy gaze and the ruthless smirk on her lips made it clear she was in command.

"Where's the money, Sua?!" one of the brutes bellowed, upending a rack of ballet shoes.

"I already told you, I've given you all I have. I'll give the rest as soon as I can!" Sua's voice quivered, but there was a defiant spark in her eyes.

"Don't play dumb, Sua," the woman interjected, her voice cool and measured. She sauntered over to a framed poster of Sua, her triumphant pose signalling her victories in the underground dance competitions. Behind it, concealed from prying eyes, was a small, securely locked box.

"We know about your winnings, Sua. You thought you could hide it from us?" She let out a sharp laugh, her crimson lips curling into a sinister smile as she extracted the box with a triumphant flourish. "You should've known better."

Witnessing the heartbreaking plea, Sua's despair sank deep into their bones. She knelt, a tragic figure, begging Yoohyeon not to confiscate her money. Tears stained her face as she pleaded for mercy, "Yoohyeon, please! Just this once, don't touch that money. It's for the kids. Please."

 

Yoohyeon's laughter echoed ominously, amplifying the ruthlessness of the moment. "Stop wasting money on those hopeless kids. What do you think you are? A saint?" Her words, dripping with sarcasm, ended with a swift kick to Sua, her harsh cackle following the whimper of pain that escaped Sua. "Just remember, this is merely the interest. We will be back, Sua-unnie."

With a wave of her manicured hand, she directed her henchmen to bag the plundered money.

Across the street, Jiu and her crew bore witness to the horrifying scene. Dami trembled visibly, seething rage simmering beneath her icy exterior as she watched the unjust treatment of Sua.

"Unnie... Jiu-unnie, please allow me," Dami requested, her voice void of any emotion, her eyes cold, deadly, and fixed on the departing gangsters.

Understanding Dami's silent plea, Jiu nodded, her gaze equally icy and detached.

Upon receiving Jiu's consent, Dami marched resolutely towards the leaving gangsters. She slid past them, her movements discreet, before heading straight into Sua's dance studio.

"Daebak," Siyeon gasped, her eyes wide with awe. She had just witnessed the infamous 'Invisible Hands of Itaewon' in action. "Jiu-unnie, Dami... Dami is genuinely God-tier!"

"Stay alert, Siyeon-ah. The girl seemed to notice," Jiu warned, her icy gaze never leaving the gangsters' retreating figures.

---

Entering the dance studio, Dami found Sua desperately trying to restore order in the aftermath of the chaos. As Sua noticed her presence, her face contorted in anger once more. However, before any words could be spoken, Dami walked straight towards her, reaching out as if to embrace her. Instead, she placed the bag filled with Sua's stolen money into her shocked hands.

"H-how?" Sua stuttered, clutching the bag tightly, her eyes wide as she gazed at Dami.

Without offering a response, Dami turned to leave, only to find Yoohyeon and her two henchmen standing in her path.

"Who the hell are you?" Yoohyeon demanded, her eyes filled with rage. "You might fool these two buffoons, but not me!" she snarled at Dami.

Staying silent, Dami's mind raced. She had underestimated Yoohyeon's perceptiveness and cursed her overconfidence.

"We will kill you!" one of the henchmen roared, his fury simmering over at Dami's audacity. "How dare you steal our money!"

Dami laughed, the sound rich and unexpected. "Maybe this girl is right. You truly are a buffoon! The money wasn't yours, it belonged to her!" Dami declared, pointing at Sua.

Incensed by Dami's taunts, the man lunged at her. But as if from nowhere, Siyeon darted forward, deftly intercepting his attack. The world seemed to blur as she effortlessly twisted his arm in an unnatural direction, snapping the bone with a sickening crunch. A swift kick to his knee sent him crumpling to the ground, a cry of agony tearing from his throat. The violence was over in seconds, leaving the gangster writhing in agony, his arm and leg grotesquely twisted.

A look of horror washed over the second henchman's face as he watched his partner crumble under Siyeon's attack. Determined not to meet the same fate, he lunged towards Siyeon with a rage-fueled roar. Yet, Siyeon stood her ground, her face an inscrutable mask.

With a fluidity that seemed nearly supernatural, Siyeon sidestepped his charge, her hand lashing out to grasp his outstretched arm. An audible snap echoed through the studio as she twisted his arm brutally, breaking it in one swift motion. The henchman's eyes widened in shock, the pain not yet registering.

Before he could react, Siyeon was behind him, her knee driving into the back of his leg, shattering the kneecap. The henchman collapsed, his body unable to support his weight on the shattered leg.

In one final cruel move, Siyeon's hand moved with lightning speed to the man's neck, her fingers expertly pressing against certain points. The sudden constriction of his vocal cords rendered him silent, his screams of agony trapped inside. He fell to the floor, writhing in silent torment, his eyes filled with terror and disbelief.

As the chaos ensued, Jiu and Handong finally made their way to Sua and Dami's side, taking cover behind the indomitable Siyeon. Handong quickly moved to comfort a visibly shaken Sua, her gentle words a soothing balm amidst the storm. Jiu, on the other hand, pulled Dami towards her, her body instinctively shielding the younger girl from the unfolding mayhem.

 

"W-wow. S-siyeon-unnie, how come she is so good at fighting?", Dami stuttered, her eyes wide with awe as she watched Siyeon take control of the situation.

"Siyeon is the protector of our crew," Jiu murmured, her voice barely audible over the chaos, "no one can beat her."

Their whispering was abruptly cut short by Yoohyeon's furious yell, "Who the hell are you guys? Why are you ruining our business?"

Siyeon's only response was a silent challenge. Ignoring the trickle of blood making its way down her forehead, she pointedly motioned towards Yoohyeon with a flick of her fingers, a silent invitation to join the fight.

A crimson fury blazed in Yoohyeon's eyes as she clenched her fists, veins popping out of her slender arms. With a guttural yell, she launched herself at Siyeon, her fists flying like cannonballs.

Their fight was an explosive dance of fierce strikes and swift dodges, the air punctuated by the sounds of grunts and the smacking of flesh against flesh. Unlike her henchmen, Yoohyeon was no pushover. Her attacks were well-coordinated and ruthless, but Siyeon was better.

A quick jab managed to catch Siyeon by surprise, landing on her forehead. Blood immediately blossomed from the impact site, trickling down her face. But it seemed only to fuel Siyeon further.

Gritting her teeth, Siyeon retaliated, her fist slamming into Yoohyeon's side with a crack. Yoohyeon let out a pained grunt, her posture wavering slightly.

 

Unyielding, Siyeon seized the opportunity to follow through with a powerful strike, her elbow crashing into Yoohyeon's arm with a sickening crunch. The gangster let out a shriek, her arm dropping uselessly by her side, clearly dislocated.

Despite the burning pain in her side and her arm hanging limply, Yoohyeon was stubborn. But it was clear that Siyeon had the upper hand.

"You've got some skill. No, more than that - you're pretty good," Siyeon commended with a smirk, even as she used the back of her hand to wipe away the blood streaking down her forehead. "But your arm won't be any good for at least two weeks. You should quit while your other arm still functions. Don't come back here, unless you want to end up like your buddies," she added, her tone darkening into a threat.

Yoohyeon spat back, " you!" The harsh profanity echoed in the wrecked dance studio, rife with her loathing and fury. As she mustered her strength for a counterattack, a distant wail of sirens sliced through the tense atmosphere. Her eyes darted outside, instantly catching sight of the flashing red and blue lights rapidly approaching the studio.

Whipping around to aim a venomous glare at Siyeon, Yoohyeon instead found her gaze landing on a dazed Sua, slumped on the ground, confusion playing across her face. Her heart jolted. Siyeon and the others... they had vanished.

Cursing the ill-fated circumstances under her breath, Yoohyeon made her escape, disappearing into the cloak of the night just as the police descended upon the scene.