Chapter 6: Propose

The Dreamcatcher

The familiar environment of Siyeon's apartment had slowly transformed into the quartet's hub. It was here they now gathered, Handong sitting on a cushioned seat as she began to explain the series of events that led to her confrontation with Jiu.

"I noticed that the PC Jiu-unnie used had a self-evolving worm," Handong started, her voice soft and a bit shy, her eyes wide in innocent distress. "It was far from any regular worm. I found myself needing to code super-fast to neutralize it. It made me kinda... upset, actually."

Handong paused for a moment, her gaze shifting shyly to Jiu. "Because I’m mad, I tried to, you know, dox Jiu-unnie," she confessed, her voice barely more than a whisper. "But then, I realized Jiu-unnie was totally untraceable. That's when I really panicked, thinking that Cheng Xiao might have sent Jiu-unnie after me. So I, well... I confronted Jiu-unnie and threatened to dox Dami and Siyeon-unnie." She lowered her gaze, her fingers nervously playing with the hem of her shirt. "For that, I'm... I'm truly sorry."

Jiu couldn't help but chuckle at the sincere confession. "Consider yourself forgiven, Handong," she said, her eyes gleaming with amusement. "As long as you commit to working with us on this heist."

The hacker nodded in response, "I can disable a majority of the system easily, but we need to plant an SD card from inside. It's a prerequisite."

"That's where the dancer comes in," Siyeon piped up, leaning forward. "But they need to be flawless, precise."

“Dancer?”, Handong asked. Dami who also kept hearing that their team needs a dancer is now curious about it.

Noticing the curiosity etched on Handong and Dami's faces, Siyeon explained, "Let me explain a bit more about how we've utilized dancers in the past," she began, her voice taking on a slightly more solemn tone.

"Highly secure systems often employ intricate laser security, motion detectors, and a multitude of other measures that respond instantly to even the slightest disturbance," she said, tracing invisible lines in the air to illustrate her point.

"We train our dancers not just in traditional dance but also in an adapted form that allows them to dodge and weave around these security systems. They move gracefully, yet with precision, bypassing layers of security as if they were performing a routine choreographed to the exacting demands of the security grid. It's an art, a dance of evasion and deception."

Siyeon sighed, her gaze drifting off as she continued, "We used to have a dancer, a brilliant one. She had the grace of a swan and the agility of a panther, able to evade even the most complicated security systems."

A slight frown creased her forehead, and her voice hardened a touch, "However, she betrayed Jiu-unnie and our group. That betrayal cost us dearly. Jiu-unnie was almost caught. That’s why we need to find a perfect dancer who will be loyal and trustworthy, not a snake like that Yeonwoo”

Handong suddenly perked up. "I may know someone who fits that description," she said, the excitement palpable in her voice. "I used to participate in underground dance competitions to earn some extra cash. In one such event, I made it to the final round but was bested by an exceptional dancer. We may be able to find her there."

"Dance? You?" Dami inquired, her voice laced with awe at Handong's multifaceted abilities.

Handong responded with a coy nod, "When I first moved to Seoul, I did whatever it took to make ends meet."

Jiu, taking the conversation forward, proposed, "It might be worthwhile to scout her out. She could be a valuable addition to our team."

----

Thus, they found themselves en route to an underground dance competition. The venue was situated in a desolate, forgotten part of the city, barely noticeable amidst the grimy, dilapidated buildings. However, inside was a different story; it pulsed with raw energy. Bright lights played over the restless crowd, the heavy bass of the music resonating in their chests. The air smelled of sweat and determination, the atmosphere teeming with an electric anticipation.

Handong's voice broke through the cacophony, "There she is, Jiu-unnie!" She pointed towards a striking figure commanding the stage.

She was a vision. Her movements were fluid and swift, her body language exuding confidence. Her jet-black hair swung rhythmically with her movements, framing her sharp, enchanting features. Even amidst the boisterous crowd and flashing lights, she radiated a distinctive aura that was impossible to ignore.

"Her name's Kim Bora, but here, in the dance community, she goes by Sua," a fellow spectator informed the quartet, observing their fascination.

Seizing the opportunity, Jiu engaged him, "Do you know her personally? We would like to speak with her."

The bystander readily agreed, "Sure, I can introduce you after the competition. What do you want with Sua, though?"

"We're interested in learning how to dance," Jiu quickly spun a lie, her radiant smile undiminished. She gestured towards Dami, playing along.

The man's interest was piqued, "That's fantastic! Sua actually runs a dance school, you know."

Post competition, the spectator introduced the ladies to Sua under the guise of potential students. After the formalities were over, Sua threw a suspicious glance at the group, particularly at Jiu.

"I recall seeing you before," she pointed at Handong, "You're not here for dancing lessons, are you?"

Jiu remained unfazed, her smile undeterred, "You have quite a keen sense, Sua. I'll cut straight to the chase. I watched you dance, and I think you'd be a perfect fit for a job opportunity we have. We're looking for a dancer."

Sua, puzzled, gestured towards Handong, "You have her if you just need a dancer."

"Dong-ah has other roles to play," Jiu retorted calmly, "We need you to evade high-security systems through dance. We're planning a heist, and we need you on our team," Jiu said straight to the point.  Her eyes were now cold as she stared at Sua.

The declaration took the other members by surprise. They were taken aback by Jiu's candidness. Siyeon, however, was ready to act if the situation escalated. She will have no choice but to silence Sua if she will pose a threat to Jiu's safety because of Jiu's revelation.

Sua's reaction, however, was unexpected. She burst out laughing, much to the group's surprise. Regaining her composure, she managed to gasp out, "Get lost," before turning to leave.

Siyeon's voice rang out in the silence, "Hey, we're not done here! Don't you dare walk away from us!"

Sua paused, shooting them a chilly glare over her shoulder. "I didn't hear anything," she retorted, her voice harsh, "Go bother some other dancer with your dirty work. I want nothing to do with you." And with that, she turned her back on them again, leaving a stunned Siyeon. She prepared to attack Sua but Jiu stopped her. Siyeon look at her eyes. Jiu just shook her head.