Chapter 5: PIRI

The Dreamcatcher

As the chill of the Seoul morning began to dissipate, Dami awoke in her new home, the small yet cozy apartment of Jiu and Siyeon. There was an immediate familial atmosphere that made her feel welcome.

"Good morning, little sister," Jiu greeted her warmly, which made Dami smile. It was a refreshing change from her previous life.

Breakfast was a casual affair, but the conversation that followed was anything but. As the three women gathered in the living room, Jiu began discussing the heist. She clarified their roles, casting herself as the leader and the safecracker, Siyeon as the security, and Dami as the pickpocket. Dami would also train under Jiu to learn lock picking.

"Finding a dancer and a driver won't be difficult," Jiu assured them, but her expression turned thoughtful. "The real problem is finding a good hacker."

At the mention of a hacker, Dami’s mind jumped back to an incident at the PC bang she used to frequent. She recounted the mysterious event of the ransomware that had hit the main servers, asking for a huge amount of money, and the overnight solution that no one could explain.

"Once, at the PC bang I often visit, they had a ransomware issue. They called in experts, but no one could crack it," Dami shared, "But then one day, everything was back to normal. I think someone from the shop must have done it."

Intrigued by the tale, Jiu decided that a visit to the PC bang was necessary.

Arriving at the PC bang, the trio was welcomed by a pretty receptionist with long pink hair. The woman was Handong, a Chinese immigrant working in Seoul, and she seemed to share a friendly rapport with Dami.

The three settled in the back of the PC bang, and while Dami and Siyeon lost themselves in their games, Jiu took the opportunity to observe the people in the shop. After a while, Handong approached them with the food that Dami had ordered. Spotting an opportunity, Jiu casually asked Handong about the ransomware incident.

Speaking in hesitant Korean, Handong shared what she knew about the incident. Her eyes, though, betrayed a flicker of panic and tension that Jiu, ever the observant leader, did not miss.

After spending a couple of hours at the PC bang, they left, Dami apologizing for what she felt was a wasted trip. But Jiu simply shook her head, a small smile playing on her lips, "I think we've found our hacker."

---

 

That night, as they were walking towards Siyeon's house, a familiar figure dressed in a black leather trench coat appeared. It was Handong, her usually warm demeanor replaced by an icy aura. She locked her gaze onto Jiu, her eyes cold and determined.

"Who are you? You're untraceable too," she said coldly.

"Seems I found the Wuhan Poison," Jiu replied with a knowing smile. At her words, Dami and Siyeon looked at each other, shock clearly etched on their faces.

"It seems that nickname is still floating around. Are you with the Triad? Even if you kill me I cannot return it. I don't have anything with me, leave me alone. If I die, Lee Siyeon and Lee Yubin will die too," Handong warned, her gaze never leaving Jiu's.

"Hold on, what's going on?" Siyeon interjected, "What the you are saying?" she asked Handong, her voice filled with confusion and worry.

"Dong-ah, relax, relax," Jiu said, unaffected by Handong's icy stare. "I'm not with those guys."

"Then why do you have access to an evolving worm?" Handong demanded, suspicion lingering in her voice.

"It's a long story, but what I want to do is to see if you really are the Wuhan Poison," Jiu responded, her tone calm but serious.

"Bull," Handong spat, her skepticism evident.

"I am Jiu. I know you heard my name. I will be straightforward. Join my team, and in return, I will help you destroy the Triad. You can finally go back home," Jiu declared, her gaze matching Handong's coldness.

"Y-you are J-jiu? The Jiu?" Handong stuttered, the shock apparent in her voice.

Jiu simply nodded.

"And you are going to destroy the Triad? I don't believe you," Handong retorted, her eyes never leaving Jiu's.

"There's nothing I can do if you don't believe me. I will still destroy them anyway." Jiu's gaze turned icy, her resolve evident. "But if you lend me your strength, I assure you, you will be the one to pull the trigger when the time comes."

At that, Handong seemed to waver. Her eyes, once icy, now held a spark of hope. "W-what should I do?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Approaching Handong, Jiu whispered in her ear, "Be my tool, do what I tell you, and you will see Cheng Xiao fall to her knees."

With a deep breath, Handong finally said, "O-okay, count me in."