Chapter 2: No More

The Dreamcatcher

Kim Minji steps into the hum of the convenience store, the welcoming tinkle of the entrance bell punctuating her arrival. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee fills the air, its comforting scent undercut by the sour stench of the store owner’s fury. His rage echoes through the store, a grating symphony of bitterness that ricochets off the narrow confines of the room.

"You just can't stop messing up, can you? Short on change again! Can't you get anything right?"

Lee Yubin, the shop's youthful part-timer, can do little but hang her head in submission, the scathing words pelting her like a cruel hailstorm. Her eyes are wide, shimmering pools, on the brink of overflow but staunchly refusing to spill.

The crescendo of the owner's rant falls to a sudden silence at the realization of Minji's presence. His face contorts, the grotesque mask of anger unveiling as he snarls, "Kim Minji! Do something useful and teach this klutz how to do her job!" He roughly brushes past Yubin, who reels from the harsh contact, her eyes flickering with distress.

Fierce determination etching her features, Minji steps forward, reaching out to Yubin. "Take it easy, Lee Yubin," she coos, her voice a soothing balm against the verbal assault. "He's always like this. Don't let him get to you."

The next day feels like an eerie repeat of yesterday's events, only this time, the intensity of the owner's wrath has escalated. He spews venomous accusations of theft at Yubin, alleging her of stealing his wallet. The verbal barrage turns physical as his hand strikes Yubin's cheek. Without hesitation, Minji darts forward, absorbing the subsequent blows intended for the young girl.

Once he's cooled off, the owner steps back, leaving them with a threat of legal trouble if the wallet isn't returned promptly. The slamming of the door signals his exit, leaving behind an eerie silence.

Gently, Minji wraps Yubin in a comforting embrace. The dam holding back Yubin's tears breaks, releasing a torrent of pent-up emotions. She shares the secret torment inflicted by the store owner: unpaid wages, compulsory late-night drinking, continuous harassment. As she listens, Minji's eyes harden into chips of frost, her grip on Yubin strengthening. "Run, Yubin," she urges, her voice barely louder than a murmur. "Don't look back. And keep the wallet."

---

From afar, Minji overlooks a tableau of chaos. The owner of the store is hunched amidst the wreckage of his house, his safe wrenched open, his wealth mysteriously vanished. She dials a number on a disposable cell, her voice steady as she directs Yubin to the location of a locker at a train station. "You'll find what he owes you inside," she assures the girl. "We'll meet again, someday."

Tossing aside the cell, Minji's eyes thaw from their icy hardness, regaining their usual warmth. A figure materializes from the shadows. "Why go out on a limb for a kid who's messed up too? She’s guilty anyways" the woman comments, her hair catching the light and glowing an otherworldly blue under the streetlights.

Minji regards her with a tranquil smile, her eyes burning with unyielding resolve. "I won't stand by when injustice happens," she declares, her voice resonating with quiet yet steely conviction. "If they cheat or steal, they're gonna pay, ten times over."

"Like the Dreamcatcher?" the woman goads.

Minji's smile grows wider. "Just like the Dreamcatcher," she affirms, the legendary Jiu standing steadfast in her commitment.