Team

Lost in LA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is one of Taeyeon’s deep-rooted beliefs that moments of peace are often accompanied by times of extreme chaos. This time, chaos appeared in the forms of Choi Sooyoung and Kwon Yuri.

Taeyeon and Tiffany had arrived at a small Korean restaurant on the second floor of a quiet bar. The sign hanging had said it was closed but the door still opened for Tiffany, the chef and owner a friend of hers. He was introduced as Mark, a Korean-American businessman who started this restaurant out of passion rather than profit. Taeyeon did not like him one bit.

They had only just started their dinner - the food on the table more than double the amount they both could have consumed, so in retrospect, that should have hinted at more company, but Taeyeon, in her formidable bubble of self-absorption, had guessed that Tiffany’s over-ordering was out of concern of her barely eating for the past few days.

“Are you waiting for an important text?” Tiffany asked, not looking up from the plate of kimchi pancakes in front of her as she chewed. It was probably the 5th time that Taeyeon had lifted her phone at an angle, and then placed it back face-down.

Taeyeon wasn’t sure if she was capable of lying to Tiffany even if she wanted to. “I feel like I left things hanging with Jess,” she explained. Taeyeon wasn’t used to talking about Jessica. To be fair, no one had brought Jessica up for years. It was an easy topic to avoid when people assumed they would hate each other till the end of time, which was telling of the damage they did to each other.

“In what way?” Tiffany continued her focus on the various food items as if they were much more interesting than the conversation at hand.

“Like she might easily decide to ghost me for the next few years.” She broke into a peal of nervous laughter.

“You’re far better at ignoring Jess than she is at ignoring you.” Tiffany laughed too, the tension palpable in how she was holding back.

“I do wonder though,” Tiffany rested her chin on her hand, eyes staring deep into Taeyeon’s soul as she mulled over her question, “…if that is where we might end up. Do you think it is possible that we never speak to each -”

“Impossible,” Taeyeon replied, not wanting Tiffany to reach the end of that question. The thought itself pained her.

“Why?”

“You’re my best friend.”

“Jessica was your best friend.”

“You’re different.”

“How?”

She could anticipate all of Tiffany’s responses, yet remained powerless in steering the direction of her questioning.

“You’re the type of best friend that people make the whole if-you’re-single-by-30-let’s-get-married pact with.” She tried explaining, badly.

“I’m 34.”

“You know what I mean.” Taeyeon wasn’t even sure she knew what she meant herself.

“Are you proposing?” Tiffany was grinning, having fun.

Taeyeon blushed. “To me, you’re already family.” Taeyeon nodded to herself, avoiding eye contact and stuffing herself with a mouthful of kimbap.

“Who’s family? Are you talking about me?” She almost spit her food when she heard Sooyoung’s voice.

Tiffany apologised for the surprise as Yuri shook Taeyeon violently from behind, her new form of greeting. She felt a migraine starting to form.

“Glad you didn’t die.” Sooyoung winked right as she took a seat next to Tiffany, then started to munch on the side dishes like it was her first meal of the day.

“Surprise Taengoo!” Yuri had her arms outstretched as she sat down next to her, presenting herself like a reward.

“It would have meant much more if you showed up at my concert instead.” Taeyeon teased while filling Yuri’s bowl with a mountain of grilled meat.

“You know I wanted to! I like your current album so much,” Yuri said as she stuffed , seeming as hungry as Sooyoung. “So much! I am your number 1 listener in SNSD. Hyoyeon was there and she didn’t know half the songs!”

“Unlikely the number 1,” Tiffany whispered as she gestured the waiter over to order more food and a few bottles of soju. They hadn’t been drinking before then.

“Did you come all the way for me?” Taeyeon wanted to confirm before she started feeling bad.

“Yup! We were actually here a few months ago for a vacation with Fany. Surprisingly it is still me and Sooyoung who are unemployed enough to make this trip.” Yuri explained with full.

Sooyoung snickered. “Yah Choi Sooyoung is never unemployed. I made the effort, okay! I need to work hard to win Taeyeon’s heart because she acts like she has no friends other than Fany.”

“It’s annoying isn’t it?” Yuri added, feigning frustration. “We’re all in Seoul and she comes all this way to see Tiffany.”

Tiffany choked and reached for her water as she coughed. They paused their banter until Tiffany regained her composure.

“Shut up and eat, Kwon Yuri.” Sooyoung scolded. “It’s not about us. Do you know what else is in Seoul? SM.” She added, then high-fived Tiffany. Yuri rolled her eyes but offered no retort.

“Where are you staying?” Taeyeon asked, changing the subject.

“Somewhere nearby. Maybe 10 minutes with a cab.” Sooyoung replied.

“Why not at Fany’s?” Taeyeon wondered.

“Yeah, why not at Fany’s?” Yuri repeated.

Sooyoung threw a used tissue at Yuri, hitting her squarely in her chest, to which she responded with a raised fist. “At least at Fany’s I might not be as tempted to murder Choi Sooyoung.”

“Taeyeon needs rest. Besides, I have accumulated a ton of hotel points and that’s why we’re staying in such a fancy room, you ungrateful brat!”

They continued their bickering, which neither Taeyeon nor Tiffany participated in. It was unnatural for Tiffany to be quiet all this time. Sooyoung kept throwing subtle glances toward Tiffany, as if they shared a secret the other half of the table wasn’t privy to.

Taeyeon should have guessed that with this combination of members, the bottles of alcohol on their table would be replaced constantly. Yuri was extra animated today, sharing behind-the-scenes stories of the filming of her reality show. Taeyeon felt a wave of warmth observing her excited expressions and wild hand gestures, occasionally toasting to celebrate her silliness on set.

She felt lightheaded after a few glasses, fighting the need to rest her head on the table. At some point, Taeyeon gave up resisting the urge to lie down and found herself staring at Tiffany. It was difficult to look away as Tiffany reacted enthusiastically to the anecdotes Yuri shared, her face emanating pure joy from the entertaining company.

She heard mentions of her name, which directed Tiffany’s att

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter