Chapter 4

Depend on You

A bit of a shorter chapter but I wanted to split this part in two. I hope that it's still going to be enjoyable. Thank you all for reading and keeping up with the story. I hope that you're all doing well! Take care!

 

 

Tzuyu loved her sister to the death. Mina was the only person that consistently stayed with her. The only person that had never disappointed her. And of course, she didn't want to accuse Dahyun of lying and not putting her all into their relationship. But they were still a fresh couple, starting only 8 months ago. Tzuyu simply thought that it was better to be cautious. 

That caution was the reason why she hated Nayeon for coming back. She spent years trying to accept that Nayeon was gone and that she might've not loved them as much as she thought. Tzuyu thought that she managed to achieve that. So Nayeon's return flipped all of it around. She didn't know what to think about it or what to do. She didn't want Nayeon back, but at the same time having her back was her biggest wish. That was why she was angry with herself. 

Mina always told her that Nayeon made her choice and she wasn't going to keep grieving. Which was an obvious indication that Mina moved on and didn't want Nayeon back at all. And another reason why Mina could've not wanted Nayeon back was Chaeyoung. Which was a fair fear.

Then, Nayeon came back, Tzuyu suppressed her desire to have her older sister back and showed her anger. Mina, unlike everything that she was saying, seemed to be ready to have Nayeon back. After the initial annoyance, she started to change her mind. And it was driving Tzuyu crazy. 

Like at that moment, when they were all in their apartment, because at that point it was a hotel, and Mina told them that she may talk to Nayeon soon.

 

"We really have to check you in with a psychiatrist." Jeongyeon shook her head and took a gulp of her drink. All of the adults were sitting by the table in the living room after Chaeyoung fell asleep and Mina probably poured everyone something stronger on purpose. 

 

"If you're seriously thinking about that," Haru warned, his hands closed in fists.

 

"Then what? You can't forbid me from talking to people. And maybe if we find out what she wants, we'll be able to convince her to leave." Tzuyu was sure that Mina was keeping something from them. And she probably wasn't the only one that thought that. 

 

"That could work, actually. You can provide a lot to make her leave you alone. And if we arrange the meeting somewhere where we can monitor it, nothing bad will happen." Dahyun sided with Mina, to nobody's surprise. Tzuyu would've thought that Dahyun was trying to get on Mina's good side if she didn't know better. Dahyun was just one of those people that believed in second chances and looked for good in people. Which was endearing most of the time. Unless it came to their own situation.

 

"But would she talk honestly if we were all standing behind her, menacingly?" Jihyo asked, concerned. 

 

"We'll have to try." 

 

"I don't understand you at all. You know what she did, and now you're going to just forget all of it." Haru was getting way too emotional for his own good. Tzuyu was sure that they would be doing better if they could just kick him out. But Mina had to humor him. 

 

"I'm not forgetting. I just want to use this opportunity to ask her why. That was all I ever wondered about." And it didn't happen often, but Mina started to sound irritated. Frankly, she only reached that state because of Haru.

 

"What does it matter? She didn't care about any of us. We shouldn't care about her reasons."

 

"But I do care." Mina replied sternly and eyed him with a death glare. He was a great match though, he didn't even budge.

 

"Ok, cut it out. If you don't want to talk to Nayeon, you don't have to. But stop bossing Mina around." Jihyo took those words out of Tzuyu's mouth. 

 

"As if it was possible to boss her around. Whatever I say or do she's against it." Oh, hell no.

 

"Just shut up already " Tzuyu groaned and most likely cut Mina off before she could continue the argument. 

 

"I'm simply voicing my concerns. And Chaeyoung is my daughter." Haru didn't know when to end though.

 

"I want to talk to Nayeon. I am not going to take Chaeyoung to her." Mina defended herself. And after a short moment of silence. "Excuse me. I need some fresh air." She pushed the chair back and stood up so that she could walk out onto the balcony. They all knew that she needed to be alone. And Tzuyu didn't want to sit there either. Without a word, she grasped Dahyun's hand and got up, pulling her girlfriend along. Dahyun followed her without a question. 

They had no choice but to enter Mina's room. Which was another awful thing that happened because Haru moved in, Dahyun couldn't stay over anymore. 

Tzuyu flopped onto the bed and sighed heavily.

 

"I'm sorry, Tzuyu." Dahyun said softly and sat down next to her. Tzuyu hummed in acknowledgement and took Dahyun's hand in hers.

 

"I think that Mina isn't telling us everything. I mean, it's been 2 weeks and she's all ready for a meeting." Tzuyu revealed what was bugging her.

 

"Mina's pretty understanding. Maybe she took Nayeon's return as a good sign." 

 

"She said that she didn't care if Nayeon would come back. And she's Chaeyoung's mom, she must be afraid that Nayeon could try something there." Dahyun's thumb caressed Tzuyu's hand absentmindedly. It was clear that Dahyun was considering her words carefully.

 

"Maybe Mina didn't tell you the whole truth about her feelings. I mean, you keep some things from her too. She knew how hurt you were because of it so she didn't tell you that maybe she did want to talk to Nayeon." Tzuyu wanted to dismiss Dahyun's words, but she couldn't without sounding like an idiot. 

 

"I just don't want to go through that again." Dahyun pulled her head into her lap and started combing her fingers through Tzuyu's hair. 

 

"I know. I can't promise you that it won't repeat. But we will all try not to let it happen." Tzuyu wrapped her arms around Dahyun's waist and let the silence sooth her heart. 

 

"Thank you for being here." Tzuyu mumbled into Dahyun's lap. 

 

"Of course, you can count on me." She knew that wholeheartedly. "And if you want, I memorized about 30 lame pick up lines. I am ready to recite them." 

 

"30? Don't you have to do your assignments or something?" Tzuyu laughed softly at the sweet attempt to cheer her up.

 

"Hey, I do them as well. I learn the lines during breaks." Dahyun laughed as well, quite proud of herself in Tzuyu's opinion. And if she were honest, she didn't mind a bit of distraction.

 

"All right, shoot."

 

"Do you like Star Wars? Because Yoda only one for me!" Dahyun said with utmost enthusiasm and waited for a reaction.

 

"Really? I don't even like these movies." Tzuyu laughed despite not wanting too. 

 

"At least appreciate the pun." Dahyun whined and poked Tzuyu in the ribs. 

 

"Maybe the next one will be better." Dahyun scoffed playfully.

 

"You look so familiar. Didn’t we take a class together? I could’ve sworn we had chemistry."

 

"Did you also search for lines that would fit our relationship?" Tzuyu asked, amused and surprised that Dahyun found one that fit.

 

"Why shouldn't I? And we took a lot of classes together in high school. You just decided to abandon me now." Dahyun complained, Tzuyu imagined that she was pouting as well.

 

"Seriously? Biology and journalism share some classes." 

 

"We share one class!" Tzuyu turned around with a laugh and looked at Dahyun's own bright smile. "So, did it work?"

 

"It did." Tzuyu reassured her girlfriend and pulled down her head to leave a chaste kiss on her lips. Fot now it was enough to distract Tzuyu from her turmoil.



 

When Mina, Tzuyu and Dahyun left the room, Jihyo knew that it was the end of their discussion for the day. Though she wished that it could’ve been more civilized and with more understanding.

 

“You have to stop being so hostile toward Mina.” Jihyo wasn’t scared of Haru. To be frank, he was probably a bit apprehensive to attack Jihyo because of her status as Mina’s close friend.

 

“I’m not hostile. We are simply open about our opinions and disagreements.” Indeed, they were. But in his eyes, Mina was always wrong. So was it truly openness. 

 

“Look, we understand your situation and all, but you always want everything to go your way. Give Mina some agency. Like, you’re a fake marriage but you’re acting like her controlling husband all the time.” Jeongyeon backed up her girlfriend, because there could never be a time when they didn’t have each other’s backs.

 

“You all really love to make me the villain.” He sighed, exasperated. Jihyo couldn’t help but roll her eyes. “If she wants to talk to her, whatever. But I am taking Chaeyoung out for the day to ensure her safety.” 

 

“Are you serious?” It was quite unusual for Haru to give in so quickly. But Jihyo and Jeongyeon weren’t complaining.

 

“Yes. So you can tell her that when she walks back in. I’m going to bed. Good night.” 

 

“Night…” Jeongyeon replied and watched him leave the room with squinted eyes. “Isn’t this weird?”

 

“A little. But maybe he just felt pressured because he had everyone against him.” Jihyo tried to ratinalize it. Jeongyeon hummed to show that she understood what Jihyo meant. 

 

“So do we go to Mina or do we wait?”

 

“Let’s just wait. We aren’t in a hurry and maybe we can give Dahyun a drive back home later.” Jihyo explained and got up to start cleaning the table.

 

“Damn, so we are free taxis now too.” Jeongyeon whined and Jihyo slapped her on the shoulder playfully.

 

“Stop complaining and help me clean this up.” Jeongyeon chuckled under her breath, but she listened to the request.

 

“And we’re free cleaners too. Mina should be thanking gods for having us as her friends.” Jihyo knew that Jeongyeon was simply trying to release the tension that build up during the conversation they had. Therefore, she wasn’t attempting to scold her again.

 

“Don’t act as if she didn’t go far and beyond to help us.” Jihyo entertained the foolery and moved to the kitchen with a few empty glasses she collected.

 

“Well, I guess. If it wasn’t for her we probably would have never started dating.” Jeongyeon said with a thoughtful tone. 

 

“Obviously. All because you were too proud to admit that you like me.” Jihyo answered, nonchalant after passing Jeongyeon on her way back to the room.

 

“That is so not true. You were the one that couldn’t accept the feelings brewing in your heart.” Jihyo sent her a weird look when they met in the kitchen. Jeongyeon was staring back with a smug expression.

 

“As if. Just ask Mina, she will tell you the truth and you’ll see that I was never in denial, I was simply waiting for you.” Jihyo countered Jeongyeon’s claim with a bright smile. Jeongyeon shook her head and was ready to make her next comeback when Mina walked back into the room. “Haru went to bed and was generous enough to let you talk to Nayeon.”

Mina walked closer to her friends that were still in the kitchen, her expression thoughtful.

 

“Ok.”

 

“He also wants to take Chaeyoung away when you go talk to your sister.” Jeongyeon added.

 

“That’s fair.” Mina sighed and hugged herself protectively. 

 

“Ok, tell us.” Jihyo encouraged her best friend and leaned on the counter. She could sense that Mina wanted to share something, but she was having doubts.

 

“I always wanted to ask Nayeon why she left us but I might be rushing into it.” Mina admitted with shaky breath.

 

“I don’t think that you’re rushing anything if you feel ready. And you don’t have to meet up with her every day after you speak to her. Small steps, you know.” Jihyo shared her view on the situation. She wanted to be an opposite force to Haru, who was discouraging in all areas.

 

"And remember that you've got us." Jeongyeon added with a soft smile.

 

"I know. Thank you. I'll try to arrange a meeting soon." 



 

So Mina was going to work the following day with a plan of how to approach Sana about her decision. She wasn't sure how to bring it up. It would be awkward to just straight up tell her that Mina wanted to arrange a meeting. As if it was all business to her. Sana seemed like she didn't want to do it that way. Then, on the other hand, Mina thought that it was a bit ridiculous for her to worry about such a thing. Being upfront about her intentions seemed logical in the situation they were in. 

The actual conversation they had didn't go Mina's way.  

As Sana promised, she entered Mina's office during the lunch break with a tray full of food and with two cups of tea. As per usual, Sana's face was glowing. Which definitely raised the entire mood of the room, as well as Mina's. 

 

"Hi, how are you today? Any more annoying ideas from Chaeyoung's father? Or are we free from him today?" Sana said with a mix of an upbeat and annoyed voice. Mina smiled softly, despite feeling a tiny bit bad that Haru had that image with Sana already. 

 

"Hello, I have only talked to him about basic things today." Mina explained and Sana put down the tray with a relieved expression. Before she spoke up, she had taken a seat in front of Mina.

 

"Good, we don't have to talk about him then. And it's a great opportunity to get closer!" Sana exclaimed as she set Mina's tea in front of her. Her hands were trembling ever so slightly. And a closer look at her expression revealed a bit of tension in her features. 

 

"Get closer? Can you elaborate?"

 

"Well," Sana cleared and took a sip of her tea. "I just thought that, because we are working together and I'm Nayeon's close friend so perhaps if you get to know me, you'll see that we are all good people, deep down." She sounded awkward, like she lacked confidence. She couldn't even make eye contact with Mina.

 

"So I'm supposed to ask you personal questions?" Mina asked, probably a bit too seriously. 

 

"Yes. But also I'll ask questions. Cause you know, it's not supposed to be an interview. I want to learn things about you as well." Mina watched as Sana slumped a bit in the chair, her head lowered to the point that only her forehead was fully visible. 

 

"Ok. Are you nervous right now?" Sana's head shot up way too fast. Her face cringed as she started massaging the back of her neck. "Are you ok?"

 

"Yes, it just hurt a little. I was just surprised by the question. It's not exactly 'Where are you from? What's your favorite color?'" Sana chuckled awkwardly and moved her hand away to put it back on the desk. 

 

"Forgive me. You just seem a bit tense. I wouldn't want to make you uncomfortable but it may be the case." Mina said, ashamed of herself. It wasn't the first time she saw Sana act that way, therefore it must've been her fault. Sana shook her head frantically though.

 

"No, no, no! It's not like that. I guess I am a bit nervous. I don't want you to dislike me." Sana pursed her lips and reached out to grab a doughnut from the food pile. She stuffed her face with it, and the redness on her cheeks became noticeable.

 

"Why did you choose to be an architect?" Mina decided to make the conversation easier on Sana and just ask a question instead of prodding.

 

"This didn't really change the vibe from a job interview." Sana laughed, Mina thought that it sounded genuine. 

 

"Sorry. I can change the question." Mina proposed.

 

"It's fine. I don't have a life changing story or anything like that. I simply like architecture and I wanted to try it out myself. And you know, I haven't been in business for that long. I'm only 26 and this is my first enormous opportunity. Before that I was doing small things, like a small cabin or something similar." Sana halted and took a deep breath, she must've realized that she started rambling again.

 

"As long as you enjoy what you're doing, it doesn't matter whether you had a life changing backstory for it. And I told you, we think that your designs for the new building are gratifying." Sana nodded in acknowledgement.

 

"Yes, you told me so." She started scratching the back of her head with a shy smile. "What about you? What is your job story?" Sana asked and took another, smaller, bite from the doughnut. Mina leaned back on her chair with her cup of tea and took a sip.

 

"It's a family business so I want to continue it. I'm still at the beginning of my journey and have a lot to learn."

 

"That makes sense. I think that you'll be a far more approachable and kind boss than your father." Mina smiled, amused as Sana realized what she said without thinking. "I mean, your father is obviously a great boss. The hotels would be in shambles otherwise."

 

"Don't worry. You're hardly the only person that finds him hard. He is focused on the results and quality rather than getting friendly with everyone." Mina explained and hoped that Sana felt relieved.

 

"I get it. But he scares me." Sana shudders comically. "You're so soft and caring and he's like a rock." 

 

"Thank you. I think." 

 

"I said that out loud?" Mina nodded, truly curious about Sana. "At least you know that I say things without thinking when I'm -" She closed and grabbed her tea.

 

"Yes, and you like to get off topic sometimes." Mina ignored the pause, thinking Sana stopped herself for a reason and it wasn't meant to be heard.

 

"Yes, sorry about that." Sana said with an apologetic smile and took an egg sandwich from the tray. "Also, I feel awkward eating alone." 

 

"Oh," Mina let out quietly and picked up the closest thing to her which was a red velvet muffin. Sana looked shy again. Mina couldn't figure her out yet, no matter how much she tried.

 

"All right. Do you have a favorite cuisine?"

 

"I don't think so. I'm not particularly picky, but there are a few things I don't like." Maybe she wasn't specific, but she thought that it was enough of an answer.

 

"I understand you completely. Like so many cuisines have many delicious dishes. So it's difficult to pick a favorite. Though Momo is really good at making Japanese dishes. That would make me biased towards her cooking, wouldn't it?" Sana finished both the small speech and the sandwich.

 

"Maybe. As you may not enjoy a dish she is good at that was made by someone else. Have you known each other for long?" Sana nodded thoughtfully.

 

"Since middle school. I guess it could be qualified as long. Oh, you know who I'm friends with, but what about yours?" Sana seemed more relaxed. She leaned closer to Mina from her spot, her eyes stayed focused on Mina. And when Mina finished chewing, she spoke up.

 

"I have only two close friends. We met in high school." 

 

"So you had a lot of support when Nayeon left." Sana said with shame. 

 

"Yes, I wasn't alone. But she was, until you met her." Mina didn't back out of the topic. It was a good reminder that she was supposed to tell Sana about her decision. 

 

"From what Nayeon told us, we met 4 months after she ran away. I have to admit, back then, we weren't trying to encourage her to come back because she seemed broken. She promised to do it all once we see some life return to her. Of course, we also had to wait to finish all of our studies and what not. And now we're here." At that point, Mina truly doubted that Sana was dishonest. From the way she was talking and behaving, Mina could tell that it was difficult for Sana to lie. Those qualities helped Mina make up her mind about the meeting. 

 

"It's good that she found you and Momo. And Sana," The use of her first name had Sana stunned for a few seconds. "I decided to talk to Nayeon." 

 

"That's…Thank you so much, Mina. I promise that I'll make sure that it'll be comfortable and safe. And you can pick a place for the meeting. You can take witnesses in case you worry that Nayeon will try something. Though I promise that she won't. I feel like a weight fell off my chest." Sana chuckled and put her hand over her chest. 

 

"Just relax. I believe what you told me about Nayeon's intentions. I'm not scared. But I probably won't be allowed to go alone. My friends and Tzuyu would want to be there too."

 

"Oh, Tzuyu! Nayeon was wondering about her. Whether she would want to meet her older sister again. What should we expect?" Sana asked with a worried expression. Mina moved closer to the desk and put down the cup.

 

"She's quite angry. But I think that she wants answers as well. She just doesn't want to admit it. She's going to behave though." Mina spoke honestly. Or at least she hoped that Tzuyu was going to cooperate. 

 

"Understandable. I'll let Nayeon know about everything. And tomorrow we can arrange the meeting together." Sana looked at Mina with a hopeful expression. 

 

"It's a good idea." Mina was able to reply shortly before someone knocked on the door to her office. Sana got startled and quickly sat up straight. Ms. Kim peeked through a small crack a short moment after.

 

"Ma'am, your father wants you to stop by his office, asap." Mina glanced at the clock on the wall and in fact, the break was over, for 10 minutes. 

 

"Of course, thank you. I'll be there soon." She replied with a polite smile and stood up. Sana mirrored her action instantaneously. "I should be going. Thank you for lunch and a lovely conversation. Take care for today, Sana." Mina walked around the desk with a warm smile on her face. Sana seemed frozen for a moment as her eyes were glued to Mina passing her rather close. She shook her head soon enough and joined Mina by the door quickly.

 

"Yes, thank you, Mina. You don't have to let me in, but you always do." As Sana was talking they reached the elevator where they would be splitting. "So I'll see you tomorrow. I hope that today is going to be enjoyable." She added as the elevator arrived and then with a few awkward movements as if she didn't know what to do, Sana entered through the open door at last. 





 

Sana was usually acting like a personification of bubble gum. But after they moved to Seoul, she was truly something else. Not that Nayeon hated it. She loves seeing her friends happy. But she also thought that giggling under her breath, twirling her hair, and randomly smiling bashfully was a bit weird. And that behavior seemed like a new normal. To be fair, Sana was kind of subtle about it for the first week and a couple of days. But for 5 days straight she was just on another level. 

 

"Maybe she has finally gone insane?" Momo proposed, as the two of them observed Sana, who was hovering in the living room, a playlist with their favorite songs on, her face stretched into a smile. Nayeon and Momo had just returned from their jobs at a restaurant and we're greeted with that scene.

 

"Let's just ask her. We ignored it for long enough." Momo nodded and followed Nayeon deeper inside so that Sana would notice them. And when she did, she let out a high pitched squeal. They watched as she turned off the hover and then skipped to her phone to stop the music.

 

"Guys! I have excellent news!" She jumped up in place like a ball. "Mina agreed to meet you!" Nayeon stared at Sana, slack jawed. It was unbelievable. Of course, she didn't want to lose hope, but she was scared that a meeting might happen only after months.

 

"How?! You told us yesterday that she was still thinking." Momo spoke up first. Sana puffed out her chest proudly.

 

"I talked to Mina today and she told me that she wants to do it. She believes that I didn't lie to her when I told her about your intentions. So we gotta figure out when you're ready so that I can tell her tomorrow." Nayeon was going to talk to her sister after so long…

 

"OH MY GOD!" She exclaimed with a huge smile and jumped into Sana's arms. Momo joined them shortly after. "I truly wasn't sure if your weird plan would work, but I have to give it to you. Good job."

 

"I'm going to pretend that I'm not offended."

 

"Seriously. How did you manage to convince her?" Momo asked and pulled away from the group hug.

 

"She wants to get some answers. I guess she always wanted to do that. So you better not screw this up, Nayeon." Sana warned and poked Nayeon's chest. 

 

"I won't. Not again." Nayeon was going to do anything to ensure a good outcome. Momo and Sana definitely knew that.

 

"Also, she said that Tzuyu may join." Nayeon felt like crying. It started to feel so real. She truly had to step up and be the older sister she wanted to be again.

 

"We know that you can do it." Momo patted Nayeon on the shoulder comfortingly. 

 

It was something she dreamed of for years. Finally, she was brave enough to make it all come true. All she needed to do was to be honest, explain her decision and allow Mina and hopefully Tzuyu to make their own decision. Whether they were going to let her back into their life or if the three of them were going to remain separated for the rest of their lives. Nayeon knew what outcome she was praying for. She just had to ensure that they wouldn't have to deal with any obstacles that would try to destroy her only chance at happiness.