Chapter 3

Depend on You

So if you read my previous stories, you'll know that I like writing flashbacks. And this is one of those chapters. I hope that it's going to add some context to the story. Also, it's kind of late and I'm sleepy so if there are mistakes, I'll fix them tomorrow. As always, I want to thank everyone for reading and sharing their thoughts with me, to all of people keeping up with the story! I am truly grateful! Have a great day and take care!

 

 

She could hardly believe the result of the test she was holding in her hands. It must've been wrong. There was no way it was true. She grabbed another test from her bag. She only bought 3 because she expected to see a negative result on the first one. It was positive. Yet again. Nayeon cursed under her breath and threw the pregnancy test on the floor. How could she be so reckless? What was she supposed to do? She's not ready to be a mother. She's not ready to be stuck in a miserable family life. 

As she continued sitting on the toilet, her head in her hands, she was wondering if she could just get an abortion without anyone noticing. But would she be able to do it? 

 

"Nayeon! Mom asks if you're ok?" Tzuyu's voice reached her through the locked bathroom door. What would she think if she learned that Nayeon was pregnant? 

 

"Yeah, I'm gonna come back in a minute, Tzuyu." She replied naturally. 

 

"Ok." With that, Tzuyu walked away. Nayeon decided to just go out, tell her family that she was feeling unwell because it was true, and go to her room. But she didn't forget to hide the tests back in her bag so that she could dispose of them somewhere far from their house. 

Her parents were in the living room with Tzuyu. They were helping her with a school project. Mina was absent, which wasn't unusual, as she preferred to stay in her room. 

 

"Hey, I am better. I'll just go to bed." She announced in her parents' direction and hoped to just escape.

 

"Maybe we'll have to go to a hospital if you are still sick tomorrow?" Her mom eyed her with concern. Nayeon didn't blame her for worrying, but going to a hospital was the last thing she wanted to do.

 

"I'm sure that I'll be fine. I'll just hydrate and sleep." Nayeon sent them a smile and turned around to walk up the stairs to her room. She passed Mina's room, doors closed, and she wondered for just a moment, what Mina would've thought about it. But she couldn't tell them. She simply entered her room and jumped into her bed after closing the door. 

As she lay there, her mind reminded her about one more person that absolutely had the right to know. Haru. They were kind of dating. And of course, when they decided to become intimate she had to get pregnant. She couldn't bring herself to tell him yet though. She could barely believe it herself after all. 


 

She was sick in the morning again. And of course, it was not easy to keep her parents from being worried anymore. She had been sick in the morning for a week. She figured out that it could be because of pregnancy after making a Google search about being sick in the morning and then connecting the dots. 

But that was also the day Nayeon learned that her mom wanted to take her to a hospital for a specific reason. Which was simple and terrifying. Obviously, her mom went through 3 pregnancies. It was stupid to think that she wouldn't associate Nayeon's symptoms with that. She just didn't bring it up because she was waiting for Nayeon to be honest with them. So the whole mess had a great start. 

The tests confirmed that she was 7 weeks pregnant. She would never forget the expressions on her parents' faces. 


 

"Honestly, what were you thinking?" Her dad asked her when they were back at home. They settled in the living room and decided that it was a good time to give her a lecture. The only positive thing was that Mina and Tzuyu weren't at home yet.

 

"I didn't think this was going to happen." 

 

"Didn't you use protection?" He continued. And Nayeon wasn't sure if answering was going to have a better result than not saying anything. 

 

"I think so?" She honestly didn't remember. They might have been drunk at that time. 

 

"This is a complete embarrassment." He shook his head and walked out of the room. Nayeon tried to act like she wasn't hurt by the words and the treatment. 

 

"We have to inform Haru and his family. Then we will discuss what to do." Her mom said, a bit too calm for Nayeon's liking.

 

"I'll call him soon."

 

"Today." Nayeon nodded to assure her mom that that was her intention. "When your sisters are back."

 

"Ok, mom." Nayeon had never felt that dejected. And she never had her parents be so disappointed with her. That was also the first time when she felt intense regret. About all of the choices that led her to that situation.



 

As Nayeon had learned, the whole talking it through and making decisions about everything happened without her voice. Not that they let Haru voice his opinions and needs. To her, it was rational to give the two of them agency over their child. That didn't happen. Their parents basically decided over a single meeting that Nayeon would give birth, that she would get married to Haru, and would raise the baby as a family. And Nayeon thought that was absolute bull. But realistically, what could she do? She wasn't exactly able to just leave. She didn't have a full-time job or her own place. She needed her family to afford to live. So she ended up silently going along with the whole thing.

She did start avoiding her family though. She felt way too uncomfortable to have family dinners and whatever else her parents came up with. 

Though, her sisters tried to hang out with her throughout the day. Nayeon wasn't angry about that. She was a bit relieved that they weren't treating her differently after they found out about the baby. She couldn't be more grateful for that. 

 

"So I'm going to be an aunt?" Tzuyu's innocent voice interrupted the comfortable silence in Nayeon's room, as the two of them were lying on her bed kind of doing their own things.

 

"Yes. You're my sister so you'll be the baby's aunt." Nayeon replied with a smile and patted Tzuyu's head.

 

"But I'm only 14…" 

 

"So what? Your age doesn't matter in this case." Nayeon laughed lightheartedly at the sad tone.

 

"But it'll be weird for your baby to call me an aunt when I'm not an adult." Tzuyu complained and Nayeon thought that it was the most endearing thing in the world.

 

"You're so cute, Tzuyu." Nayeon pulled her younger sister into a hug. "The baby won't be able to talk for what? 2 years? You'll be 16 then."

 

"Still would be weird." 

 

"Ok, then let's say that it will only say stuff like mom and dad for a year, you'll be 17." Tzuyu started giggling then. 

 

"Ok, I guess I'll see how I'm going to feel about it then." Nayeon hummed and ruffled Tzuyu's hair. Then she let her sister go.

 

"That's the spirit. Now, did Mina tell you when she's going to be back?" Tzuyu nodded and started fixing her hair.

 

"She said at 6." Nayeon had an idea. They could have a marathon of her favorite drama, with snacks and soda, and just talk about everything but the baby. She needed a distraction.

 

"Awesome. Then seeing as we have an hour and a half left, we should prepare everything for the drama marathon!" Nayeon exclaimed and pumped her fist. Tzuyu's expression brightened.

 

"Yes! Let's do it! Let's have caramel popcorn."

 

"Can you make it?" Nayeon asked, though knew the answer.

 

"Well…no. But we can find the recipe online." Tzuyu replied, not really ashamed of her lack of knowledge. 

 

"Ok, we can look it up. Come on, then." Nayeon patted her sister on the head one last time and they made their way to the kitchen.



 

"Mina…," Nayeon said in an almost whiny tone. They were alone at their house, as their parents went to a fancy event or something. Tzuyu was watching something on her phone, Nayeon didn't really see what it was and Mina was studying, as always. Nayeon was lying on the sofa and observed her sisters in the room. "Mina…," She repeated, whining even more. Her sister sighed and looked up from her textbooks. 

 

"Yes?"

 

"We don't have peanut butter…," Mina frowned at her.

 

"Ok?" Nayeon groaned at the clueless expression.

 

"I want peanut butter." Nayeon pouted and crossed her arms over her stomach. Her belly was just a bit larger than usual. Even though she was in her 3rd month.

 

"And what do you want me to do about it?" Mina asked, with no sympathy for her older sister.

 

"You're actually the worst!"

 

"I didn't do anything?" Mina sounded confused, Nayeon was glaring at her.

 

"No, you're the worst." Tzuyu repeated her older sister's words and Mina lifted her hands in the air defensively. 

 

"I just asked a question." She reasoned.

 

"No, you said it like I was a bother to you. I just want peanut butter, and you could get it for me." Nayeon explained, getting a little bit teary eyed.

 

"Exactly." Tzuyu seemed to have lost interest in whatever she was watching. Nayeon had to admit that she enjoyed the fact that Tzuyu was on her side a little bit too much.

 

"I'm in the middle of studying? You are not doing anything." Mina gestured with her hands in Nayeon's direction to prove her point.

 

"But she's pregnant, Mina." Tzuyu jumped in.

 

"Only three-" Mina started but bit her tongue. "Fine, I'll go buy your peanut butter." 

 

"Aww, thank you, Mina. You're the best." Mina rolled her eyes, but stopped herself from pointing out the emotional blackmail. 

Nayeon and Tzuyu giggled to themselves as Mina was leaving the room. Nayeon would've gone crazy without the two of them. She hoped that no matter what, the three of them could stay like that. 



 

They started planning the wedding as she was entering the fourth month of her pregnancy. Their families decided to simply make them sign all of the papers, say the vows and go home. They could throw a party after their child was born. On one hand, Nayeon liked that they didn't want to make a huge deal out of it, but on the other, she still hated it. During the four months, she didn't see Haru that much. They were kept away on purpose, she believed. But the real problem was that she started thinking and she wasn't sure if she wanted to spend her life with him. And she was sure of it when they were allowed to see each other again. He was simply overbearing. Nayeon couldn't even move her finger without him jumping around her as if she was going to break apart. He kept talking to the baby and telling it how happy they were going to be. And he would make all of these plans for their future. Nayeon was suffocating. 

But probably the worst thing was the fact that he couldn't get along with Mina and Tzuyu. She had no idea what it was, but he just seemed to be off putting to them. Or maybe, they could see that Nayeon was overwhelmed and that made them be cautious of him. He still insisted on spending time with all of them though, to build a family bond as he said. So it was his idea to go out together on Saturday afternoon. They went to a park and got ice cream. They watched the fountain and then walked around and admired the scenery. 

 

"So, I never asked, what are your hobbies, Tzuyu, Mina?" He asked, enthusiastically. Mina and Tzuyu walking on Nayeon's right didn't share it with him though. 

 

"I like writing." Mina said plainly, hopeful that he wouldn't ask for more details. Tzuyu remained silent.

 

"That's interesting. What do you write?" Nayeon sighed internally and glanced at Mina. Mina usually kept her expressions polite. A soft smile could be noticed at all times. But it was gone now and she seemed bothered.

 

"Just short texts. For myself. Nothing interesting." She put an end to further questions. Nayeon glanced at Haru. He nodded with an aura of understanding. 

 

"I get it. It's something dear to you. What about you, Tzuy?" Nayeon thanked the gods that he dropped it. And she bet that Mina did the same thing. 

 

"I don't know." And that was a lie. Tzuyu definitely had a hobby. Nayeon saw her reading animal encyclopedias way too many times to consider it a casual read.

 

"Maybe you can find a hobby. You know, I didn't have a hobby when I was your age. But I started checking out school clubs and some passion videos online. They helped me a lot. I would've never known that I enjoy golf so much." Tzuyu side eyed him. 

 

"Tzuyu still has time. She doesn't need to be into anything yet." Nayeon cut in, finally, and patted her younger sister on the shoulder. 

 

"I know. I am just looking out for you. As your de facto brother, I care about it." 

 

"Brother? You are not-" Tzuyu was about to start a fight that Nayeon didn't want to deal with. And she wanted to put an end to it quickly.

 

"Can we maybe sit down for a moment?" Nayeon put her hands on her hips to put on a believable performance of being fatigued.

 

"What's wrong? Are you in pain? Maybe we should go back. I can carry you to the car." Haru started panicking, like he always did. And Nayeon regretted intervening.

 

"I'm sure that she's just a bit out of breath." Mina tried to calm him down, but he ignored her.

 

"What if it's something with the baby? Shouldn't you be more concerned?" 

 

"We are concerned when we need to." Tzuyu said, a bit of annoyance showing. 

 

"And this is a moment like that. Come on, I'll help you to the car." And so everything else was forgotten, as he supported Nayeon on his shoulders and started moving to the car. Nayeon looked back at her sisters. Tzuyu was scowling at them, but started following them quickly. Mina just stood in her place with eyes closed for a short moment and then joined them. 

Haru didn't want to leave their house after that either. It took an hour of reassurance that Nayeon and the baby were fine for him to leave. And it was the evening when Mina and Tzuyu voiced their concerns with her unfortunate partner.

 

"He's annoying." Tzuyu described her opinion in simple words. Nayeon sighed on her bed and looked at the ceiling as Mina and Tzuyu were sitting to the side.

 

"Tell me about it." Nayeon said shortly.

 

"He is worried about the situation." Mina began and her two sisters sent her weirded out looks. "But he's way too overbearing. He is also dismissive of everyone else." 

 

"Thank God you added the second part because I was ready to think there's something wrong with you." Mina shook her head at Nayeon's reaction.

 

"Like, it doesn't feel like he's genuine." Tzuyu added to her explanation. And maybe she was right. Nayeon didn't know Haru for that long. Only a few months. 

 

"He just seems like he lacks self awareness." Mina could've also been right. And Nayeon had to marry him and raise a child with him. 

 

"Remember, I have to marry him." 

 

"And it's awful." Nayeon smiled at Tzuyu, grateful for the support.

 

"You can always keep us close too." Mina proposed.

 

"Ah! That's the plan! You'll move in with us and I'll keep my sanity this way." Nayeon started laughing but she was completely serious. She wanted her sisters to stay with her. If she was going to do it, she needed them close. 

 

"I love it. We should stay together even when we're old." Tzuyu joined in the laughter and lay next to Nayeon to hug her. 

 

"I guess it doesn't sound terrible." Mina admitted and Nayeon pulled her into the hug as well. Perhaps, the whole mess wasn't going to be that awful.



 

She kept healthy throughout her pregnancy and didn't have any major issues. She still didn't like how much weight she gained and the way her belly looked. She tried to feel the love everyone else seemed to be feeling. And sometimes she thought that maybe she did feel it. But then she remembered what was waiting for her and what she had to go through during the pregnancy, and she decided that whatever she was feeling for the baby wasn't enough. 

She felt the worst when she observed how Mina was acting. Tzuyu was excited as well, of course. She wanted to be involved in everything involved with the baby just as much. But Mina seemed a bit different. She was sometimes watching Nayeon with a difficult to decipher smile. She read all of the parenting handbooks and relayed all of the advice and pointers to Nayeon. She knew how to relieve the muscle pains Nayeon was having. She read about natural labor and C-sections and what could be better for Nayeon specifically. She was looking up baby names and made a list for Nayeon so that they could pick one together. She knew what to buy for the newborn and how to take care of it. Mina felt more like the baby's mom than Nayeon ever did.

As awful as it sounded, Nayeon liked that fact. It gave her an easy way to leave if needed be. Because if it would all work out, Mina would be there for the baby. If they let her. 

Nayeon found out that the baby was a girl. To her it didn't matter. The rest seemed much more excited. They knew how to decorate the baby's room now, and what clothes to buy. And they knew which set of names they should consider. 

Nayeon was avoiding doing that though. Whenever Mina approached her with the list, Nayeon made some excuses just so that she didn't have to name the baby. Somehow, she felt like naming it would've made it more real. More personal. 

 

"Nayeon, can I ask you something?" Mina's voice surprised her a bit. She thought that her younger sister was sleeping, like Tzuyu, who was snoring quietly on the left side of the bed.

 

"Of course." Nayeon whispered back and she looked to the right to see the outline of Mina's face. 

 

"You don't want this life, do you?" The directness and nonchalant tone caught Nayeon off guard. She felt exposed, ashamed.

 

"Why would you say that?" Mina her side to face Nayeon.

 

"I can just sense it. It's ok to be scared. You're young, right? You didn't plan it. But I know you. You're caring and have a lot of love to give. I am sure that your daughter will be all right. And you'll be too. Maybe even Haru will chill out a bit." Mina was lovely. Nayeon knew it. And that was what stabbed her heart the most. Her younger sister believed in her so much. She had so much hope. Nayeon, on the other hand, had none of those qualities. But she couldn't worry Mina more than necessary. She put her head close to Mina's chest and Mina put her arm over her side gently. 

 

"I love you, Mina." 

 

"I love you, too. Tzuyu and I will always be here to help you. So let's go through it together." Nayeon kept her tears in check. She couldn't let Mina see it. She snuggled closer to her sister and allowed the conversation to die out. 



 

The big day came way too early. In Nayeon's perception. Everyone else claimed that it was too long and they were glad that it was the day at last. But Nayeon just felt miserable. The last month of pregnancy was her last straw. She couldn't deal with it anymore. With Haru's actions, overbearing, borderline offensive, condescending. With Mina's happiness, anticipation, hope. With Tzuyu's excitement, curiosity, and expectations. Nayeon couldn't do it. She was not happy, she was not curious. She wanted to get out of there. To regain her own agency, her life. To go out and enjoy her free time, with a drink, with a party. To meet up with her friends. To travel around. To do something with her life. Not be stuck with a child and a husband she didn't even love. And when the labor came, Nayeon felt the pain. Her mind was set. She knew what she was going to do. She forced herself to live in that prison for 9 months. She had enough. Especially, after giving birth naturally and when she heard the baby. 

She asked when she could go back home. The doctor told her that she needed to stay for 24 hours and then she could go unless something concerning was going on. She thanked her and made up a whole plan. 



 

They could stay over at the hospital thanks to the VIP status of their family. And it was convenient for Mina as well. She could go to Nayeon early and help out with her niece. She couldn't explain the warmth she felt inside whenever she thought about the tiny baby. She knew that she was going to do everything to ensure a good life for her. But her mood was crushed once she reached Nayeon's room and didn't see her sister. But Haru, with his daughter. His expression beyond anger.

 

"Where is Nayeon? Did something happen to her?" Mina asked, worried and walked closer. 

 

"Yes, tell me where Nayeon is. I would've loved to know it too." Mina stared at him confused.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"She left." Mina couldn't explain how those words made her feel. She felt like she couldn't breathe. She couldn't believe it. 

 

"No, she couldn't-" Haru scoffed.

 

"Well, she did. Ask the staff here. They'll tell you that she just left. What a ing joke." Haru spat out and as if on cue, the little girl started crying. He tried to sway her and shush her. But she wouldn't stop. Mina still couldn't comprehend the information. She stood still, her eyes fixed on the baby. Nayeon left… Nayeon left them, her daughter. 

 

"She must be hungry." A nurse walked in, with an apologetic smile. "I understand that you'll be feeding her with formula. I'll show you how." She addressed Haru. He nodded, still glaring. 

 

"I want to know too." Mina voiced the sudden thought that appeared in her head. The nurse smiled at her and invited Mina along. Haru only sent her a look, but she didn't know what it was conveying. She didn't care either. Her mind was littered with one word. Why. She tried to focus on the instructions the nurse was giving them. And she thought why? The nurse told them to feed her while holding her close to their chest and looking at her. Haru let Mina do it. And as Mina watched the little girl drink, with closed eyes, her hands clinging to Mina's shirt and fingers. Mina thought why? When they told the rest of the family, she thought why? When Tzuyu looked at her, with the amount of betrayal and pain Mina had never seen, she thought why? Nayeon, their older sister who took care of them, played with them, cried with them, laughed with them. Just left, without a word. She left her own daughter right after giving birth. And Mina could not understand why. She noticed that Nayeon had her doubts, and that she was afraid. But she had her family. She wasn't alone. But she left, she chose to be alone. Without her family. Without her daughter. 

 

The whole day was one big fight. Haru and his parents were rightfully pissed off. Their plans and agreements were broken. Her parents tried to calm them down, even though they were just as mad. But they couldn't reach a consensus. They had the baby, but no mother, no marriage, no family. And Haru was heartbroken. Tzuyu didn't say one word. She closed herself off completely. Mina didn't let go of the newborn after she finished feeding her. She sat down and let her sleep in her arms. And she watched her. She watched the way was open, the way her chest was rising with the blanket she was wrapped in. She hugged her closer. Her niece needed a mom, didn't she? She needed someone that would do all of the things Mina read about in all of those parenting handbooks. She needed someone…

 

"I'll be her mom." The whole room fell silent. It might've been a rushed decision. And she was sure that they would think that she was crazy. But at that moment, she felt ready. 

 

"Mina, you're graduating high school. You don't have-"

 

"I'll be fine." Mina cut her mom off. 

 

"Wait, I am her father. You can't just decide that." Haru addressed her and moved toward her to most likely take the newborn away from her.

 

"I'll be her mom. I'll do what Nayeon was supposed to do. I'll marry you." Mina said, desperate. And he stopped. She might've regretted it one day. But she was sure at that moment. She tried so hard during Nayeon's pregnancy, so that she was ready for the baby. She could do it. She didn't want anyone to take her away. She would be what the girl needs. She'll do anything for her. 

 

"We will have to discuss it in more detail, but not now. For now, we should return home" she heard her dad dismiss everyone. And the air in the room became a bit lighter. Mina continued to observe the girl in her arms. She let out a sound, and it somehow dulled the pain in Mina's heart. She remembered the list of names she made. She put down five names, though obviously she had her favorite one. She just wanted to give Nayeon a choice. And she thought that it was the time to give the baby a name. Chaeyoung…



 

"I can't believe that my friend is crazy actually." Mina sighed and put the bottle, cap, rings, and the into the hot water to sterilize them.

 

"It's always the quiet ones." Jeongyeon added. Her two friends were standing behind her, pressuring her. She tried to stay calm though.

 

"Can you not panic?"

 

"You agreed to be a mom and marry someone in a span of a day!" When Jihyo said it that way, she obviously seemed crazy. 

 

"I can do it. And I don't want Haru and his family to take Chaeyoung away." She checked the time, 3 more minutes.

 

"Do you really think he would've taken her and not let any of you see her?" Jeongyeon tried to reason with her.

 

"Yes. Nayeon just left without telling anyone. She pissed them off, they were not going to let us make any decisions." 

 

"I'm sorry but I am going to strangle your sister if she ever comes back." Jihyo's desire wasn't far from the ones most of their family had. It's only been a day, but their parents had already started acting as if Nayeon didn't exist. 

 

"I'll help you." Jeongyeon supported her friend. 

 

"Just don't get caught." Mina sighed and took out the pieces of bottle from the water, then grabbed the baby formula to pour it into the bottle. And right then, Chaeyoung's cries sounded throughout the rooms. "Let's not talk about it for now. I have to feed Chaeyoung."

 

"Yeah, we'll make dinner." Jihyo gave Mina a quick hug and let the girl go to her baby. 

 

"She's going to be fine, right?" Jeongyeon whispered to Jihyo once Mina was out of sight.

 

"I'll make sure of it. So be ready. We're going to be available at all times, no matter what." Jihyo poked her finger into Jeongyeon's chest.

 

"Of course, of course. Stop poking me." Jeongyeon swatted Jihyo's hand and moved to the fridge to check what they could make. Jihyo took a few deep breaths and was fully back into her active mode.



 

It was settled a month later. Mina was going to marry Haru and gain parental rights to Chaeyoung. Which was a ray of hope in her life. She was going to stay at her family house until her graduation and then move into an apartment their families bought for them. She didn't look forward to living with Haru, but she knew that it made sense. And she could deal with his presence. As long as she had Chaeyoung there. 

 

"I would've never thought that I would see you act silly like that." Jeongyeon stifled her laugh as she watched Mina play with baby Chaeyoung on the sofa.

 

"It's so endearing. Wait, don't move. I'm taking a photo." Jihyo was crying on the other hand, her phone pointed at Mina, shaking just a bit.

 

"You guys can go home." Mina shook her head with a smile once Jihyo was done.

 

"No, we are in this together. The moment we were seated next to each other at school, our lives were bonded." Jihyo was high on emotions and even though Jeongyeon was mocking her by laughing and pointing out her ugly crying face, she secured her into a side hug. 

 

"Sure, grandma. Also, we want to help. We're having finals soon so someone needs to help you out." Jeongyeon probably didn't mean to call anyone out. But it did sound that way.

 

"Come on, my parents are helping. Tzuyu is as well. She even helped me during Chaeyoung's bath. And Haru comes by every day as well." 

 

"Of course. But we want to be a part of this too. We're the cool aunt's after all." Jihyo pushed Jeongyeon away lightly and kneeled in front of Chaeyoung to make silly faces at her as well. The little baby started laughing after a few seconds. 

 

"Mina!" Tzuyu's voice reached them from the corridor and soon, she stormed into the living room. "Are you actually glued to Mina?" Tzuyu asked once she saw Jihyo and Jeongyeon.

 

"Why is this kid so rude? What happened to her cuteness?" Jeongyeon reprimanded and tried to catch Tzuyu into her arms to ruffle her hair. Tzuyu skillfully escaped.

 

"Mina, when are you leaving?" 

 

"Probably a week or so after the finals." She replied and made some space for Tzuyu on the sofa.

 

"I'll help you move." Mina smiled at her gratefully.

 

"Thank you, Tzuyu." Tzuyu smiled back and put her chin on Mina's shoulder. 

 

"Ok, I think Chaeyoung needs to change her diaper." Jihyo announced with a disgusted face and soon, the rest could smell it too. 

 

"I'll grab everything." Tzuyu jumped from the sofa and ran to the correct cabinet.

 

"All right, let's get you cleaned up." Mina said in a soft voice and tickled Chaeyoung on her belly, which made the girl wiggle. 



 

Until she was busy with final exams and then entrance exams, she had all the help she needed in taking care of Chaeyoung. But once it was all done and they moved into the new apartment, Mina was in a different situation. She was at home most of the time, as Haru was working. She had to do everything that she was getting help with alone most of the time. Because she wasn't going to ask Jihyo and Jeongyeon to come over in the early morning. So until around 3 pm., it was just the two of them. And yes, there were times when Chaeyoung was crying almost nonstop, and she would vomit around the room, and would scream if Mina disappeared for just a moment. She didn't feel like giving up though. Because she wasn't alone at the end of the day. Haru seemed to be doing great with Chaeyoung as well. Thankfully, she didn't want to engage in arguments with him. And he actually left her alone most of the time. Yeah, they talked during the meals or when they ended up sitting together in the living room. But he seemed to be sparing her the treatment he put Nayeon through. Though, Chaeyoung's first cold, teething, and anything that caused Chaeyoung pain and discomfort put the two of them in a tense mood. Mina knew that realistically they couldn't keep Chaeyoung away from those things and even when sometimes she was also scared, everything turned out well. Haru was always in a state of panic and made Mina feel worse about everything. When she had a cold, Haru wanted to keep Chaeyoung at the hospital, during teething he was going behind himself to find the best way to relieve the pain. And Mina had no idea how to get him to calm down. They weren't compatible in any way. But at least they weren't fighting. 

Jihyo and Jeongyeon were coming over every day. And they helped with everything. They had the most fun helping with things like first words, first time holding up her head, sitting up, crawling, and of course walking. Mina was really anxious about one of those things. The first words. It was understood that Mina was Chaeyoung's mom. But she was technically her aunt. Mina knew that Nayeon probably wouldn't come back, but if she did, it would have been awkward. Nonetheless, everyone kept assuring her that Mina was the mother and Chaeyoung should call her that. In the end, Chaeyoung's first word was nada. Which was most likely a mashed word of mama and dada. 

With each day, Mina felt more and more comfortable with her status as Chaeyoung's mom. She didn't even mind some of the looks she was getting when people saw someone her age with a baby. And the months turned into years. Chaeyoung was growing healthy, they made sure of it, she was getting taller, she started talking more and running. It was pure happiness. But…

The real big disagreement Mina and Haru had was after Chaeyoung asked one day where she came from. Mina explained it in the simplest way, that she was growing inside of her mother's belly for nine months and then came out of it. And that was also the moment when Mina told her, directly, that she was her adoptive mom, because her biological mother couldn't take care of her. But Mina loved her the most in the whole world and would always be there. And Chaeyoung replied the best way she could as a 3 year old.

 

"You're my mommy. Because I love you and I don't know the other mom." Which might not have been anything special, but it made Mina cry tears of joy. She couldn't have asked for more. She only wanted Chaeyoung's love.

 

But of course, Haru wasn't happy about it.

 

"So you just told her?!" It was late at night, Chaeyoung was asleep, though Mina was worried that he may start shouting and that would wake their daughter up. 

 

"She asked. I couldn't just lie to her." Mina defended her choice. Chaeyoung could always ask about it later, when she was older, and they could have a deeper conversation. For now their simple conversation seemed to have been enough. 

 

"Don't you think that she's too young? She's just started kindergarten. She hasn't been talking or walking for that long. And you just tell her that you're not her mom." Mina felt the last sentence stab her through the heart. But she didn't want to get angry. So she took a deep breath.

 

"I promise you, she'll be fine. She didn't even ask about it again. And she just said that she doesn't know her biological mother so she doesn't care." Mina's voice was calm, slow. A contrast to Haru's raised and fast one. 

 

"Just because she didn't ask doesn't mean that it didn't change anything within her."

 

"Haru, I beg you, you can't shield her from everything. When were you planning to tell her? Never? When she is an adult, a teen? She would be angry and betrayed if we kept it from her her whole life." She countered his attack and wanted to put an end to the argument.

 

"Fine, if you think that you know better. Just next time you decide to make a grand reveal like that, maybe discuss it with me." He pointed at her, as if he was reprimanding her and walked to his room. Mina closed her eyes, took a few deep breaths and entered her own room.

 

It was the biggest disagreement they had, but it was also the beginning of microaggressions between them and soon, they decided that Haru would just move out. Chaeyoung had a hard time dealing with it, but because Haru kept seeing her every day still, it got better pretty quickly. She also knew that he didn't move out because he didn't love her anymore. And then, Tzuyu decided to move in with them after graduating high school. Chaeyoung was beyond excited when she found out. Tzuyu tried not to show her own joy though. She closed off after Nayeon left. At first she was just sad, but then she also became bitter. Mina tried to stay indifferent. She had her own life, one where she was happy. So she didn't think about her sister. As long as she had her family, she didn't have to worry about anything. Or so she thought…