Chapter 1

Depend on You

 

 

Was there something in her life that she regretted? Yes, most likely a lot of things could count as such. But would she call becoming a mom a mistake? As she reminisced about the past 5 years and observed her daughter trying to prepare a wedding ceremony for her aunt and her girlfriend in their living room, she knew the answer. It was a blessing, not a mistake. Mina was sure of it, as she observed Chaeyoung reach up with her tiny hands to put a veil on a frowning Tzuyu, with a grin. 

 

"Auntie, lean down." Chaeyoung whined with her whole body. 

 

"I'm leaning already." Tzuyu rolled her eyes but ended up kneeling on the floor to let her niece dress her in the window curtain. Chaeyoung pulled her tongue out and carefully measured the length of the veil over Tzuyu's face.

 

"Ok! Now, the clips." Mina grabbed them from the table and walked closer to hand the clips to Chaeyoung. The little girl took them happily and started securing the cloth on Tzuyu's hair.

 

"Can I come in?" A voice called out from behind the door to the living room.

 

"No! You can't! We're not done!" Chaeyoung shouted at the door to stop Dahyun from entering. Chaeyoung sent her to a different room with Mina so they could get dressed there. Once they were done, Mina returned to the living room and started helping out her daughter. Chaeyoung finished with the clips and skipped back to check her work. Tzuyu was dressed in a white summer dress and the curtain, Dahyun was ordered to put on Mina's baby blue dress and a flower crown Chaeyoung made in kindergarten. 

"Ok! You can come in!" Chaeyoung told Dahyun and quickly positioned Tzuyu in the right way. She was facing back to the door, in front of Mina. Tzuyu looked annoyed, but Mina could tell that it was an act and she was actually having fun.

 

"Why are you grinning? It scares me." Mina only smiled wider.

 

"It's a wedding. People should smile at weddings." Mina said jokingly. But Tzuyu's expression turned sour. 

 

"Yeah, then why didn't anyone smile at yours?" Mina's smile faltered for a moment. But Chaeyoung opened the door and started singing the wedding march, so she quickly regained her happy attitude. 

 

"Your bride is here." Mina decided to ignore the comment and Tzuyu turned around to look at her girlfriend. And she seemed awestruck. Dahyun was giggling under her hand and followed Chaeyoung obediently. And then they stopped. Chaeyoung moved in front of them, and Dahyun stopped next to Tzuyu. Mina could swear that the two of them had forgotten that it was all pretended. 

 

"We met here to see the wedding of my auntie and Dahyun. They love each other very much and I want Dahyun to be my aunt too." The three adults couldn't help but laugh at the sincere words. "So I will make you wives right now." Chaeyoung turned to Mina and extended her hands. Mina reached out to grab the paper rings Chaeyoung made and she handed them to her daughter. "Put these on your fingers." Dahyun and Tzuyu followed the instructions, giggling their hearts out. "Do you take Dahyun as your wife, auntie?" Tzuyu seemed stunned for a moment. Mina shook her head. They were absolutely endearing.

 

"Yes." 

 

"Do you take auntie Tzuyu as your wife, Dahyun?" Chaeyoung had stars in her eyes. 

 

"Yes." Dahyun said enthusiastically. Chaeyoung clasped her hands.

 

"Then you're wives now!" She shouted and hugged the two girls tightly. Mina started clapping in celebration. 

 

"Can I take this off now?" Tzuyu asked and lifted the curtain slightly off the floor.

 

"No! Dahyun has to do it! And then you kiss." Mina laughed at the upset tone and commanding aura her daughter was radiating with.

 

"You don't have to convince me." Dahyun said and reached up to unclip the veil and she handed it to Mina. Then, she stood up on her toes to connect her lips with Tzuyu's. 

 

"Yay!" Chaeyoung exclaimed and she hugged the couple again.

 

"Shall we eat the wedding cake now?" Mina proposed and before anyone managed to reply, she started moving to the kitchen. They bought a strawberry cake for the occasion, although the flavor was picked more for Chaeyoung's taste. 

 

"Yes!" Chaeyoung was full of energy. And it was infecting all of them. Mina truly would never regret becoming a mom. She couldn't imagine living her life without Chaeyoung. No matter how difficult it could get or what obstacles she had to face. She would always make the same choice. 

 

It was late afternoon when they finished their cake slices. And before bed, they ended up watching Lilo and Stitch. Mina wasn't surprised when Chaeyoung fell asleep halfway through the movie. But Dahyun and Tzuyu snoring quietly on the other side of the couch cuddled up, was a bit unexpected. Mina was happy though. She was happy because she had the most important people in her life with her. 

 

"I'll never leave you, ChaengChaeng." Mina whispered and kissed her daughter's forehead, then she decided to move her to bed. She skillfully moved her legs from under Chaeyoung's head and then she lifted the little girl up. The room was on the right of the living room. It was decorated with Chaeyoung's drawings and paintings. And photos of their family. There was a tiny desk for Chaeyoung's pencils and paints. There was a single bed with animal imprints on the covers. A red closer because that was Chaeyoung's favorite color nowadays. And of course, a night light just in case Chaeyoung woke up in the middle of the night. Mina put her gently on the bed and covered her with the duvet. With a kiss on the top of the head, she turned back. 

Mina decided to wake up the two lovebirds too. They could be annoyed at first, but they would appreciate it in the morning when they wake up without any muscle pains. 

 

"Tzuyu, Dahyun. Come on, go to bed." She shook the girls lightly and Dahyun's eyes fluttered open first. Tzuyu sighed before she opened her eyes. Mina ruffled her hair playfully and it made Tzuyu frown. 

 

"Stop. I am not a baby." Tzuyu pushed Dahyun gently off of her and then got up with a pout.

 

"To me, you are." Mina said sweetly and wanted to pinch Tzuyu's cheek. Tzuyu caught her arm though and with a glare, she made her escape. Dahyun followed her while giggling.

 

"Good night, Mina." Dahyun called out before disappearing into the corridor.

 

"Sleep well!" Mina shouted softly after them and listened for the door to close. Once it happened, she turned off the TV and looked around the room. It was mostly clean. Thanks to the fact that she and Chaeyoung's teacher managed to develop tidiness in the little girl. But there were a few drawings Chaeyoung made lying on the floor by the window. Tzuyu's jacket and hoodie were scattered on the chairs near the table. Mina's notebooks were piled up on the said table. She didn't even want to notice the candy wrappers on the floor. She decided though that the little mess was fine and it could wait until the following day. She needed to rest as well. She had a big day at work and she couldn't let herself slip up. So, she moved to turn off the lights and made her way to her room. It was nothing special. Just a bed, a closet, a desk with a computer, an office chair, and a single photo of Chaeyoung. It was all she needed. She was happy as long as she had her daughter and her sister. 




 

Getting Chaeyoung to wake up in the morning to go to kindergarten was always a challenge. Mina couldn’t wake her up one bit. No amount of gentle shaking or tickling kept her awake. She would still be out of it and it made the process of getting ready exhausting. She wasn’t even going to mention how Tzuyu wouldn’t help one bit. Though Mina’s younger sister was in a very similar state as her daughter was in the mornings. Dahyun was a big fan of it though, as she would watch Tzuyu with the softest eyes and would help her eat the breakfast. Mina was wide awake after a few minutes of waking up though. So she was the odd one in their family. 

“If you want me to drive you to classes, you have to move, Tzuyu.” Mina put her hands on Tzuyu’s shoulders and gave her a shake. Dahyun chuckled at the yelp Tzuyu let out, startled.

 

“You want to kill me?” Tzuyu said with her hand over her racing heart.

 

“I can carry Chaeyoung down. But I am not carrying you down.” Mina replied and disappeared into the corridor to put her dress shoes on. 

 

“What do you mean? You keep calling me a baby all the time.”

 

“What? I can’t hear you.” Mina shouted back. Tzuyu groaned. Dahyun’s laugh was louder that time.

 

“I can carry you.” Dahyun said as she put the last spoon of rice in .

 

“You are weak.” Tzuyu deadpanned and Dahyun elbowed her gently with an offended look. Mina checked herself in the mirror. She needed to look perfect. Her father wouldn’t tolerate any crooked lines or untucked pieces of cloth. She fixed her bangs by shaking her head and lastly tried to see if her makeup was clean.

 

“Are you going to work or on a date?” Tzuyu and Dahyun walked into the corridor to get ready.

 

“You know how father is.” Mina answered her sister with a sigh. “We are meeting the head architect for the redecoration of the main hotel in the city.”

 

“Ah! Good luck, Mina!” Dahyun raised her fists and shook them enthusiastically with a grin.

 

“I’ll need it.” She said with a grateful smile. Then, she returned to the living room to pick Chaeyoung up. She was fully ready to go, except for the fact that she was still asleep. Mina took her in her arms carefully and walked back to the corridor. “Lock the door.” She requested and Tzuyu nodded. 


 

Dropping everyone at their designated places was the easiest part of the day. Mina didn’t want to be nervous about what she was doing. The truth was, she had been working for only 3 years at her position. She couldn’t start earlier because of Chaeyoung. She needed to be there for her baby at all times. Adding to that, she was also studying business on weekends to gain the knowledge she needed for her position. Not to even mention that she was still young, just 24. So, yes, she was nervous. Because she wanted to take over the family business one day. That was why, she was at work an hour before their meeting with the architect was supposed to take place. She read all of the papers all over again and prepared some questions in case her father wanted her to show some initiative. And at 8:50, she was waiting outside of the building for the visitor to appear. First at the spot was her father though, dressed in his usual grey suit. 

 

“Good morning, father.” Mina greeted with respect.

 

“Hmmm, good morning. Trying to catch our partner late?” Mina shot her father a lost look. She simply wanted to show openness. “She has five minutes left.” He checked his watch and then put his arms behind his back.

 

“I believe that she’ll be here any minute. My secretary told me that Ms. Minatozaki seemed diligent.” Mina finally spoke up. Her father only waved his hand. 

 

“We’ll see.” 

 

In fact, Ms. Minatozaki was 20 minutes late. Mina felt like she wanted to disappear after the first 5 minutes. She could sense the change in her father’s aura. Mina liked the designs Ms. Minatozaki made for them and thought that they would not only impress the people of business but also their more casual visitors that were looking for a bit of relaxation and entertainment. But she was very worried about the success of the contract. At last, they heard the sound of heels hitting the pavement frantically. Mina turned her head to locate the sound. She spotted a woman in a pink pantsuit running with a folder under her right arm. Her face was red and sweaty. She took a turn to run to the entrance, she stopped with a horrified look a few meters away from them. She fixed her outfit frantically and walked up to them awkwardly.

 

“Good morning, Mr. Myoi.” She bowed way too low and then picked herself up way too fast.

 

“It’s truly an honor to see that you decided to join us, Ms. Minatozaki.” Mina’s father said in a passive-aggressive tone. She gulped.

 

“I can explain. You see, I live with my friends and we share one car. One of them took it even though I told her that I will need it. I noticed it too late and then I had no idea which bus to take so I called for a taxi and he must’ve misunderstood which hotel I meant so then we had to drive through the city again and then it was still the wrong one. So I opened the map on my phone and started running here.” Ms. Minatozaki explained in one breath. They stood there in silence as the architect was trying to catch her breath. Mr. Myoi was simply eyeing the anxious woman. Mina felt bad for her though.

 

“You should perhaps have a glass of water and wash your face.” Her face came out wrong. She sounded condescending. Which she didn’t mean. And Ms. Minatozaki lowered her head, ashamed. 

 

“I…Forgive me.” 

 

“Mina, show her where to find those things and then bring her over to my office.” Mina nodded her head and her father walked away. Mina relaxed slightly and turned back to Ms. Minatozaki. She was still standing with her head low, but Mina noticed trembling in her shoulders. Oh no… She opened to say something but nothing came out. That was a complete stranger, that was crying in front of her hotel because of her misfortune. And what was Mina supposed to do? She couldn’t hug her and give her a kiss on the cheek like she did to cheer up Chaeyoung,Tzuyu and Dahyun. 

 

“Ms. Minatozaki?” Mina said carefully. Sana halted her silent sobbing and quickly wiped her face. Though when she looked up, it was very obvious that she was crying.

 

“I am so sorry. It is my first day and the beginning of the biggest contract I could ever get and I ruin it immediately.” Mina’s heart clenched. 

 

“It’s not ruined. Everyone has a worse day. Even my father is late sometimes, though he will never admit it.” Mina tried to cheer her up and it seemed to work, to some extent.

 

“Your father?!” Ms. Minatozaki’s eyes widened and her hand shot up to . “Miss, I am so sorry for crying in front of you. I am such a mess. This is just embarrassing.” 

 

“Truly, it’s fine. Just follow me so that you can calm down and fix your makeup.” Mina hoped that she was sounding friendlier and when Ms. Minatozaki smiled at her gratefully, she decided that she most likely managed to do that. 

 

Ms. Minatozaki started watching every little bit of the interior. Her eyes scanned the place as she could already picture how the renovation would go. Mina worried that she would get lost every time Ms. Minatozaki would stop to take a closer look at something. But that just made Mina wait for her patiently. Mina also waited for her when they were getting water from the kitchen and when she was in the bathroom. Ms. Minatozaki was quite flustered because of it. But Mina insisted that they should stick together so as not to lose each other. Then, they entered the CEO’s office. Her father was focused on the monitor of his computer and he barely acknowledged their presence. Mina gestured for Ms. Minatozaki to take a seat in front of the desk, on the left side. She sat down on the right one. She cleared to gain her father’s attention, he looked up at them.

 

“So are we ready to start after a wasted hour?” Her father took another jab at the architect. 

 

“Ms. Minatozaki has already looked around some parts of the building.” Mina decided to defend the girl just a tiny bit. 

 

“Good, at least we won’t have to waste more time.” Ms. Minatozaki shifted, uncomfortable. “We should talk about the staff members we will need and the budget.” Mr. Myoi started the meeting and fortunately, the atmosphere became lighter. Ms. Minatozaki was very expressive and passionate about the project. She gesticulated with every word she spoke and her eyes were glistening, not from tears at that moment. Mina had no doubt that they made the right choice by hiring her. Her father must’ve thought so too because he didn’t try to fire the architect after all. The meeting ended on a more positive note. With handshakes and polite smiles. 

“Miss Myoi.” Ms. Minatozaki stopped her before they would part ways at the elevator. “Thank you for taking care of me today. If it wasn’t for you I would’ve just given up.” She smiled brightly at Mina.

 

“You defended yourself really well. My father is happy about your work, so don’t mind his remarks.” Mina replied politely. Sana looked away from her and bit her lower lip slightly. The elevator arrived. “Have a good day, Ms. Minatozaki. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Mina smiled politely.

 

“Thank you. Have a good day as well.” Ms. Minatozaki exclaimed with a grin and hopped into the elevator. That woman was definitely curious. Mina thought to herself and returned to her office. 



 

“So, how did the big meeting go?” Tzuyu finally asked when they were eating dinner. Mina looked at her from the notebook she was revising.

 

“Started awful, ended well.” She summarized and took another bite of the fried meat. 

 

“How so?” Dahyun inquired further. At that point, Mina was sure that Dahyun was living in their apartment rent-free, as she was there every day. Though Mina didn’t mind, she loved having her there.

 

“The architect came 20 minutes late.” She began but was cut off by Tzuyu’s stifled laugh. 

 

“Father must’ve been pissed off.” Mina nodded slowly. 

 

“Quite so. But she was unfortunate today. She actually started crying too.” Mina stated plainly, although in her head she sounded more concerned. 

 

“He made her cry?” Dahyun said with worry. She had met Mr. Myoi before and he was always kind to her. 

 

“Please tell me that for once you weren’t uptight and showed some compassion.” Tzuyu gave her a pointed look and put some vegetables into .

 

“I’m not uptight.” Mina said defensively. “And I did take care of her.”

 

“You’re sweet, Mina. She must’ve felt like dying at that moment.” Dahyun took Mina’s side and whenever that happened, Tzuyu was jealous.

 

“You don’t have to up her as-”

 

“Language.” Mina reprimanded and returned to read another passage in her notes. Tzuyu rolled her eyes.

 

“Auntie wanted to say .” Chaeyoung giggled with full of rice. Mina sighed heavily.

 

“I didn’t mind your plate, kid.” Tzuyu knocked Chaeyoung in the head and the little girl started whining. 

 

“Mommy, auntie hit me.” 

 

“I literally didn’t. Everyone saw it.” Mina massaged her forehead. She swore, that Tzuyu was just as childish as Chaeyoung, and she was 19. 

 

“Let me kiss it better, Chaengie.” Dahyun cooed to the little girl and Chaeyoung jumped up from her seat to sit on Dahyun’s lap. And of course, get her kiss, then show her tongue to Tzuyu.

 

“Anyway, can we go back to bullying Mina?” Tzuyu said with a fake yawn.

 

“It’s more fun to tease you.” Mina countered and reached out to pinch Tzuyu’s cheek. Of course, her hand was slapped away repeatedly. No matter how tiring her day could be, her family was the source of her energy and positive feelings. Even if they were teasing each other sometimes, they always ended up laughing together and enjoying each other company.

The following day wasn’t much different from the norm. Which Mina liked. She didn’t have to worry about anything else but work. And she couldn’t stop worrying until she saw Ms. Minatozaki on time at the hotel with the crew to start taking all the measurements. The planned time was on 10 am, her father moved it up an hour after the previous accident. Mina arrived at 8, as always and when she reached the floor with her office in it, her secretary halted her before she could enter the room.

 

“Good morning, Miss. Ms. Minatozaki arrived a few minutes ago and I let her come in.” Mina looked at her secretary with a frown. She couldn’t believe her ears. 

 

“Thank you, Ms. Kim.” Mina replied plainly and moved to enter her office. And indeed, Ms. Minatozaki was sitting on the small sofa in the office, with papers scattered all over it. She heard the door close and her head shot up. And then she immediately looked back at the papers. She started cleaning them. Mina walked to her desk and observed her curiously. 

 

“Hi, I mean, good morning, Miss Myoi.” She jumped up and bowed to Mina too fast.

 

“Good morning. I didn’t expect you before 10 am.” Mina bowed back and moved to her desk and started the computer.

 

“Yeah, about that… I didn’t want to be late again. But my friend works far from our apartment so she dropped me off here now. I thought that I could just work for the time being. And once I was here, your secretary, she’s super nice by the way, told me to wait here. I wasn’t sure, because you weren’t here and I don’t like intruding. She insisted so I agreed and then you came here.” Sana rambled with barely any air in her lungs. Mina just observed her. And Ms. Minatozaki pursed her lips, clasped her hands, and started looking around. 

 

“I see. If transportation is a problem, I will provide you with a driver. He’ll be picking you up every day.” Mina said nonchalantly and typed in her password to her computer. Then she took her phone and started writing to her secretary.

 

“Wait! This is too much. I can handle myself.”

 

“I don’t see a reason for you to be coming here so early or getting late. And it’s not a problem.” Mina dismissed her and finished her message. Her secretary confirmed that she was going to book a car for Ms. Minatozaki. The architect sat back on the sofa awkwardly and ran her hand through her short, light brown hair. Mina returned her gaze to the monitor and looked into her schedule. She didn’t mind the silence between them. She was focused on figuring out her activities for the day and then checking the documents for them. 

 

“Would you like a cup of coffee?” Ms. Minatozaki asked shyly. 

 

“I don’t really drink coffee.”

 

“Then tea? What tea do you like?” The girl continued. Mina glanced at her a bit lost.

 

“You’re not my maid.” Ms. Minatozaki shook her head quickly.

 

“Of course! It’s just a friendly gesture. You’ve been really kind to me so I want to thank you somehow.” She couldn’t even look in Mina’s direction. Mina thought about it for a moment. It probably wouldn’t be a tragedy if she allowed Ms. Minatozaki to do that for her.

 

“Thank you, I’ll have earl grey.”

 

“Just that?” Ms. Minatozaki asked and got up to go to the kitchen.

 

“Yes, just plain tea.” Mina answered and looked back to her screen. 

 

“Thank you, Ms. Kim.” The voice woke Mina up, her secretary was holding the door for Ms. Minatozaki to walk in with a tray. It had a cup of tea, a mug of coffee, and four small plates with different pastries. Mina caught Ms. Kim’s questioning look. She smiled in response. Then, Sana had the tray on the desk and she sat on the chair in front of Mina. 

“Here’s your tea. Just earl gray. Also, you have so many delicious things here. Like this banana and white chocolate muffin, the little fruit tarts, this croissant, and the bagels.” The girl pointed at all of the food with excitement. To Mina, it was the usual, nothing special. 

 

“Hm, we want our employees to have some treats now and then.”

“I wasn’t sure what you like though. So I took four things. Though I wanted to take more, they wouldn’t fit. I hope that you’re not allergic to any of them and that you like them.” Mina stared at her with a blank expression. That woman was unlike anyone Mina had ever known. Frankly, Mina didn’t know many people. Just her family and two friends that she met in high school. But they were nothing like Ms. Minatozaki. So even though she wasn’t hungry, she decided to eat at least one thing.

 

“Don’t worry, I like all of the things from the kitchen. Do you want to try all of them?” Mina asked encouragingly. The architect’s eyes brightened.

 

“I wanted to try all of them. That’s why I brought a knife. We can share them all.” She explained and began to cut everything in half. Mina just let her. Mina didn’t usually do things like that with her business partners. They always met in the office or at restaurants. Every meeting, professional with some casual moments sprinkled in. That situation felt like a meeting between friends. And Mina didn’t hate it. Ms. Minatozaki seemed to be an outgoing and mindful person. She made Mina feel comfortable.

“Ah! Just like I imagined! It’s melting in your mouth.” She said in a cute voice as the croissant disappeared in . Mina took a small bite and simply returned to whatever document she was checking on. “You don’t like it that much…”

 

“Sorry, I am just used to the taste.” 

 

“And you probably don’t like sweets much.” Ms. Minatozaki inquired casually and took a bite of the bagel next.

 

“I like sweets. In a more sophisticated manner.” Mina said and took a sip of her tea.

 

“That fits you.” Mina sent her a questioning look. “You give off a sophisticated vibe. Like you don’t just look rich, you feel rich.” Ms. Minatozaki laughed softly and her nose scrunched along with it.

 

“Thank you.” She didn’t know what else to say. And the architect seemed happy with her reply as well.

 

“I hope that you don’t think that I am a clumsy and irresponsible person.” She said with shame.

 

“Not really. I told you, everyone has a bad day from time to time. And you’re a warm person.” Mina realized after finishing her sentence that calling someone warm was a bit weird. But the smile on Ms. Minatozaki’s face was blinding.

 

“Thank you.” She giggled sweetly and put her free hand to her cheek. Mina was a bit baffled but at least she didn’t offend the girl. The rest of the time they had before the scheduled meeting was filled with Sana’s small talk and Mina’s awkward replies. 

 

Mina went home a bit early that day because Chaeyoung’s dad couldn’t pick her up after all. Chaeyoung was bursting with excitement when she saw her at the kindergarten. Mina didn’t have the time to pick her up often. So the usual talk about everything she did during the day and what her friends said, was carried out in the car and on the way to the apartment. As they were entering the elevator, someone shouted for them to hold the door, Mina did as requested and three women sprinted toward them. Mina recognized two of them instantaneously. And they recognized her as well. Mina’s heart squeezed in her chest painfully and she felt a gull in as the three people entered the elevator.

 

“Mina?” The voice that Mina thought she would never hear again. The face that she tried to erase from her memory stared at her. Her hand squeezed Chaeyoung’s unconsciously.

 

“Mommy, do you know them?”

 

“Mommy?” Mina started feeling queasy and her eyes were fogging up. 

 

“Ms, Myoi, let us explain.” Mina’s looked sharply at Ms. Minatozaki. The same woman Mina was chatting comfortably with a few hours ago. And her brain was working. It was no coincidence. 

 

“What are you doing here? You planned all of it, right?” Mina tried to keep her cool with Chaeyoung there.

 

“Look, I kinda did. Listen, I know that you’re mad. But I came here to look for you and apologize for everything. And when we saw that you’re looking for someone to fix up the hotels, I thought that Sana could-”

 

“What do you expect from us? You think that you can just show up and what? We will welcome you back?” Mina glanced at the number on the elevator board, just two more floors and she would be out.

 

“Of course not! I know that what I did was bad and I don’t expect you to-” The elevator stopped and Mina picked up Chaeyoung skillfully to storm out of there. Unfortunately, she followed her. “Mina, please. Just let me say something.”

 

“Leave us alone, Nayeon.” Mina turned around to face her older sister. Nayeon’s expression was devastated. 

 

“Can I at least ask one thing?” Mina clenched her jaw. Chaeyoung clung to her neck tighter. 

 

“And then I don’t want to see you again.”

 

“Is this her?” Nayeon pointed hesitantly at the little girl in Mina’s arms.

 

“Yes.” There was no point in lying. Nayeon froze, her eyes wide. And Mina walked away. She put Chaeyoung down to unlock the door and hurried inside. She shut the door behind them and leaned on them as she felt her whole body shake uncontrollably. Chaeyoung hugged her waist with no hesitation and Mina embraced her desperately.

 

“Was it my biological mom?” Chaeyoung whispered, unsure if she wanted to know.

 

“Yes, Chaenyoung.”

 

“Will she take me away?” Mina’s heart broke at the question. She caressed Chaeyoung’s head softly.

 

“No, she won’t take you away. Don’t worry.” Chaeyoung nodded into her and Mina felt tears fall down on her cheeks. She wouldn’t let Nayeon take Chaeyoung. She wouldn’t let Nayeon destroy their family again. She’ll keep her daughter safe. She’ll keep them all safe.