Under the Stars

VIEW

They arrived at the cable car station at about 10:30PM. Most of the visitors were already leaving, as the usual closing time was at 11PM. They had it all to themselves, allowing the two to take their time observing the scenic view of the city lights under the blanket of the night sky.

 

After exiting the carriage, they took a few more steps to get to the entrance of the tower itself. Throughout the entire time, Siwon and Tiffany walked side by side, exchanging comments on how breathtaking the view was.

 

They cut their conversation short to enter the building and after giving the tickets, Siwon found out how Donghae had managed to pull some strings for their little date. It almost seemed unbelievable when the staff informed them that they were allowed to stay until midnight. It meant that they had the entire place all for themselves.

 

Thanking the kind lady, the two entered the glass elevator which was awfully dark save for the LED screen overhead. It played a video of the night sky as the platform lifted and Tiffany watched the display as if she was seeing the real thing. 

 

Siwon, on the other hand, smiled softly to himself, observing how her eyes sparkled in amazement and awe like a naturally curious child. In that moment, he found himself falling deeper in love with the oblivious girl.

 

His trance was broken off when the elevator dinged signifying that they’ve reached the topmost floor, and he was brought back to reality when Siwon felt Tiffany’s hand excitingly grab him towards the open roof terrace.

 

“It’s… beautiful.” Tiffany spoke, staring up at the night sky where stars speckled across the darkness above. 

 

“I was hoping there would be more.” He spoke, quite pessimistically, which he realised right after the words had already left his mouth. 

 

Tiffany ran around the open space with open arms and closed eyes, letting herself be enveloped by the cold breeze. She smiled and looked at Siwon, who was still standing opposite to her. She took a seat on one of the wooden benches and Siwon walked towards her to do the same. In the silence, they both admired the night sky in the presence of each other.

 

“Honestly, I don’t mind… Ever since I’ve become an idol, it’s so rare to be able to have a moment like this. You know, without the paparazzi, without the cameras, and without the pressure to always look happy.” She softly spoke.

 

“But are you?” He said.

 

She looked at him, confused. “Am I what?”

 

“Happy?” He replied, not taking his eyes off the skies even when he felt her eyes boring holes into him. He didn't know where the confidence came from, especially considering he didn't drink any alcohol awhile ago. The question must’ve taken her off-guard, especially since they weren’t even that close. They were just co-workers, acquaintances, who happened to be victims of their friends’ antics.

 

Still, Tiffany didn’t feel uncomfortable at all into sharing whatever her mind thought of the time. There was something so profoundly comforting in taking your deepest troubles to someone you barely know; as if stripping all the labels and expectations that those who knew you placed on your shoulders. It allowed herself a moment, no matter how short, to just be herself. And with Siwon, she had the feeling that he would not have the heart to betray her trust.

 

Tiffany smiled softly to herself. “No, but I try to. That’s what matters, right?” 

 

He wasn’t surprised at the answer. After all, he was an idol too. He knows what it feels like to be subjected to constant criticism, hate, and pressure to uphold the image that was enforced on you by your own company. Siwon looked at her with empathetic eyes, letting her continue venting on the pent-up grudges she must’ve been holding unto for all these years. 

 

“My members… I really care for them and everyday I just thank God that I got to meet them. Even the fans; it’s impossible for me to know each and everyone of them but they still support me no matter what. I make mistakes but they’re still there… Sometimes it makes me think if I even deserve the amount of love they give me.” She laughed drily, wiping the tears that were forming at the corners of her eyes. “Sorry, I must be crazy for suddenly saying these.”

 

“No, no, don’t apologise.” He took out his handkerchief and offered it to her, which she gladly accepted. “It’s normal for you to feel that way. Our lives… It’s hard to understand unless you’re the one actually in front of the camera.”

 

“How ‘bout you oppa, are you happy?” She asked, looking at him. Siwon looked back, finding himself lost in her eyes but at the same time not being able to pull away. 

 

“I… don’t know. Sometimes, it feels like everything’s alright and then the next, there’s a thousand articles of the most outrageous rumours I’ve heard.” She chuckled lightly at his statement, experiencing first hand what he meant. Smiling softly, he continued. “Everything is just so unpredictable during this time, I’m not fully sure if I’m really happy at where I am in my life.” 

 

He looked back at her again. “I just know that I get my strength from my friends and family and just like you, I try. It does matter.” 

 

She beamed out another one of her smiles, turning her eyes into crescents, and Siwon proved himself right that his strength did in fact, come from those around him.

 

“Tiffany-sshi–” She slapped him lightly on the arm. “Yah, stop calling me Tiffany-sshi, makes me feel like I’m old. Fany is fine.” He laughed. 

 

“Okay Fany, I just want to say that I’m happy that you’ve found the right people to support you, you deserve the amount of love that your fans give you. You’re a great person and a role model to lots of people.” Siwon said. “We all make mistakes, it’s just that ours… gets more magnified. That doesn’t make you any less of a human.”

 

“You’re gonna make me cry even more.” She laughed, using his handkerchief again to wipe the tears. Tiffany went silent, then looked at him with a soft smile on her lips. “On a more serious note though, thank you. Really. I don't remember the last time I've been this comfortable sharing these things to anyone.”

 

Though the wind was cold and the night was dark, Siwon had never felt so warm and so… comforted. At that moment, he wholly admired the person who was right in front of his very eyes. Not the SNSD Tiffany but just Tiffany. From her beautiful face to her kind soul, she was all things real and unreal at the same time. It was no wonder then, as to why Siwon’s heart was so enamoured by someone who he was never close with after all these years; because even knowing her thoughts and emotions only made him respect her even more.

 

He wasn’t really a believer in love at first sight, but maybe she changed that. 

 

“I want to say the same to you.” Tiffany spoke, “You’re right, there’s a lot of hate after us but the love that you get is more important. You deserve that, at the very least.” She smiled and he returned the gesture. 

 

“I’m glad we’re able to share stuff like these. Thanks for trusting me Tiff– Fany-ah.” He was still trying to get used to dropping the honorifics.  

 

They stayed like that for a while, shrouded in silence but in complete comfort around each other. No words were needed to convey what they were feeling nor what they were thinking, and the next few minutes were spent appreciating the piece of quiet that was so rare in their lives. No one— nothing mattered at the moment.

 

That was, until she rested her head against his shoulder.

 

Time froze and so did he, but he quickly shook all of his giddy feelings realising that it was not the right moment to be acting like a high schooler in love. He sneaked a glance on her face, so close he could practically see every detail. Like how her skin was naturally dusted with a shade of rose, how even in that angle he could see how her lips curved in a small smile, or how her eyes were so captivating even when they were shut. 

 

Maybe it was the heat of the moment, or the fact that his gut told him the situation called for it, but Siwon found himself wrapping an arm over her shoulder, as compensation to convey whatever he failed to say in words. He didn’t pull her in nor touch her anywhere else, just reminded her of the encouragement he was willing to give if she needed it.

 

If Siwon felt her cry out small tears, or if Tiffany heard his heart beating abnormally fast, they kept it to themselves.

 

After a few minutes, Tiffany pulled away first. She handed him his handkerchief with a soft “Thank you.” but he declined it. 

 

“Keep it.” He said, “We’re going to see each other again anyways, right?” Siwon jokes, yet still meaning his words and hoping for another meetup between them someday. 

 

Tiffany smiled. “Yeah, I hope so too.”
 

Sensing it was the right moment, Siwon fished out something from his pocket and showed it to her. 

 

“When did you get this?” She asked, looking at the pink padlock with a surprised look on her face. 

 

“The staff gave it to me before we rode on the elevator. She originally gave me one that was for a couple but I asked if there was something else more fitting… Y’know, for us.” Siwon spoke hesitantly, remembering how the lady at the entrance first gave him a padlock with their names and a heart. He winced. Must be Donghae’s doing.

 

Tiffany looked at the inscription on the metal, which was composed of nothing else but a symbol. No names, no initials, just a marking which vaguely resembled an infinity sign but without it looping, almost like the cursive letter ‘H’ tilted on the side. 

 

“She told me it was a common symbol for friendship and I hope that this would be the start of a beautiful, strong, and honest one. It’s in the best colour too.” Siwon added and Tiffany laughed at his comment.

 

He held it out one last time before going towards one of the railings in front of them and then locking it in place. 

 

Siwon paused for a moment, staring out at the beautiful cityscape of Seoul which radiating different hues of neon mixed with the blinding lights of the highways. He couldn’t remember the last time he admired the peace and quiet of a simple life. And he cherished how even under the darkness of the night, it was b with life. It was home.

 

He turned his attention to the girl beside him who was busy looking at the view herself, and thought of the same.

 

‘To a great friendship… and maybe, something more.’