Chapter 6: Yang Yoseob

Encountering You

I was early at the bus stop again, the second time earlier than Kikwang this week. I took a seat on the bench, letting the cold breeze blow over me.

The trainee named Hyunseung made his way in my thoughts. He had some kind of aura radiating around him, not that I could see it, I just somehow... felt it. It was admirable to see a predebut idol, and the thought of having the same vocal teachers somehow made me beam with pride. Maybe someday, I could too be an idol, claiming my spot on the stage. 

But my happy thoughts were chased away by what I visualize as a black angry monster labelled 'School', and I had to remind myself that I was still a student, and mum obviously wouldn't let me quit school for some petty dream. I think she rather have others asking her about how successful I was as some high ranked executive or professional, instead of having to hear others wanting confirmation on rumors I will probably be involved with if I do end up with a singing career. I sighed at myself, letting my thoughts drift away from reality. I stared into space, mind blank, not entirely calm, but there was nothing to be not calm with anyway.

The calmness was interupted by a voice saying words I couldn't catch, and it was getting louder and louder, as if someone was approaching me. I dismissed it, thinking that I was probably imagining it. Yet the words somehow became clearer and louder, even I thought that I was going hysterical, until someone actually shouted in my face.

"Earth to Yang Yoseob! DO YOU HEAR ME?" Kikwang's face enlarged in front of me, and I nearly fell off the bench.

"Yes, yes, I hear you! You're literally in front of my face right now," I waved at him, telling him to back off in case I get another heart attack.

"Morning!" Another voice with a higher pitch startled me from behind, and I somehow leaped up from my seat, only to take Kikwang down with me to hug the pavement.

It was as if the pavement was my best friend because at that split moment I sincerely wished that I could stay on the floor in order to calm myself down from getting shocked twice in a row. Come to think of it, I haven't even managed to calm myself down from the sudden appearance of Kikwang.

"Wow, someone's really jumpy today," Jihae chuckled, and Ailee who was behind her offered a hand. "I didn't mean to scare you like that, I'm sorry."

"And someone's really heavy lately," Kikwang gagged, struggling to push me off him.

I rolled over, not minding how my school uniform had dusty prints all over, and helped myself up, leaving Ailee a little dejected. Kikwang took her hand though, and Ailee kindly helped him up.

"The both of you are going to get in trouble going to school in your disheveled uniforms. I can already imagine Mrs. Park screaming at your faces," Ailee sighs, brushing the dust off Kikwang's uniform.

"Well, at least the both of us are getting in trouble, so it's not a lonely punishment," I grinned, though Kikwang didn't seem quite happy at the thought of being screamed at. 

"So what were you thinking about? You were so in deep in thought you didn't even hear Kikwang shouting your name. It was quite embarassing, actually," Jihae took a seat on the bench.

Kikwang's face flushed red, starting to feel a little ashamed for shouting so loud in the morning.

"I blame it all on you," he pouted slightly, then poked me at the side.

"Nothing, I was just.... thinking. About my future," I admitted. There was no point in lying anyway.

"Oh? Mind sharing it with us?" Ailee asked.

I hesitated, not sure whether they would disapprove if I told them about it, but well, it wasn't for them to decide. Besides, it was merely a thought, and I wasn't even sure if I wanted to be an idol. I just liked singing, I loved it actually, and I like standing on stage. I'm not sure if I'm suited to be anything else.

"I want to be a singer," I blurted out in the end, noting their expressions.

The three of them looked at each other, then back at me, and started laughing. I wasn't sure if they were laughing at me or something else, but it was a bit hurting at that moment, for them to laugh at my dream. I should have warned them not to laugh beforehand.

"Please don't mistaken us, Yoseob, but we were just discussing about the same thing earlier," Kikwang said when he noticed me frowning.

"I was just telling Kikwang how I wanted to enter the talent competition at school that will be held in two weeks time. I wanted to sing, while Kikwang decided on dancing. Jihae would play the piano. We wanted to ask if you wanted to be a part of it. It seems like the four of us have the similar interests and dreams."

"Oh." I said, realizing that they weren't laughing at me. "Why not?" I broke into a smile.

"That's great. I'll sign up for all of us!" 

"Thanks Ailee," I beamed. "Hey, the bus is here, let's go."

Kikwang mumbled something under his breath, suddenly looking shaky.

"What's wrong?" I asked, stopping in my tracks before getting on the bus.

"I'm fine, it's just that I really hope we won't get yelled at by Mrs. Park. I've always wanted to keep my good reputation-"

"-and it seems like Jihae somehow ruins it for you all the time," Ailee added, and Jihae who was already halfway on the bus glared at her.

"It's my fault this time though, I'll take the blame if she asks, don't worry," I assured him.

"Hurry up, we can talk this later, get on the bus before it leaves without us." Ailee ushered.

 

-

“Seriously?” The crossing supervisor lady and the guard outside the school said simultaneously when they spotted me.

“What did I do wrong now? I’m not late or anything.” I whined.

The guard shook his head. “For the first time ever you’re not late and you arrive like you’ve encountered a dirt storm.”

I muttered back a “whatever” while I walked past the school gates.

“You know them?” Kikwang queried.

“Way to go, Einstein,” Jihae gave him a look. “That’s not why they were talking at all!”

“You-“ Kikwang started to defend himself when Mrs Park cut him off.

“You’re in dirty uniform. Why is that?” She said in a calmer voice in contrast to her loud booming self.

Kikwang and I hung our heads and pulled out the apologetic, puppy look card and it worked for the first time ever.

“Don’t do it again.” She frowned and stalked off.

The bell rang soon after and separated us to leave for our respective classes.

 

-

“Why the face?” Ailee poked my side at the cafeteria line up.

“I have detention,” I mumbled. “‘Cause my phone rang in class.”

“School seems to hate you.” Ailee chuckled, leaving to a table with her tray of food.

“Life,” I sighed. “Life hates me.”

I had singing classes after school and I probably won’t be able to make it if I have detention. This .

After school I headed to the room that was assigned for students who had detention and finished the set homework of the day there.

Exhausted from the maths equations I had done, I dragged my way to the train station. It was fairly empty there and I could hear murmurs of different conversations spread throughout the waiting area but my ears perked up at a mention of a particular person’s name.

“Hyunseung?” A man at around his 20s said. “Janngggg?”

“What did you do to get my composition in?” He whispered with a hint of harshness.

“Jang no- Jang don’t yo- wow you little-“ The man kept getting cut off then he ripped his phone from his ear and had the meanest scowl evident on his face.

This Hyunseung guy seems like a really nice person to get his composition in.

I whirled the man’s situation with the events of my own and wondered: wouldn’t it be funny if he wrote one of the songs I've sung and his Hyunseung friend was my vocal group mate?

It was impossible though; I don’t even know the guy.

                                                                                                                    

Hi haha sorry for abandoning this completely but here it is! But no really sorry I didn't update for like a year hah whoopppssss
 

Kimmy