Chapter 3: Yong Junhyung

Encountering You

I remember, once, the both of us decided to cook lunch for ourselves. 

 
"I can't believe you never get sick of eating ramen. How many years have you been eating that?" He commented, putting on a disgusted face.
 
"It's not like I have someone to cook for me before." I grinned.
 
"Then you have to thank me for coming up to your door and getting off at that bus stop."
 
"No, I will have to thank myself for letting you stay."
 
I helped to cut the vegetables and serve the kimchi.
 
"How long have you been here, Jang?" I asked.
 
"Let's see. It's almost five months now. Times passes way too fast, don't you think?"
 
"Yeah, it seemed like I just met you yesterday. Has your mum received the money you mailed her?"
 
"Oh, yeah she did. Father's debt was paid off but they're still not on good terms. They've fought too much before to get back to how they were before."
 
"I hope they won't think of divorcing. It must be pretty hard for you the past years..."
 
He hummed, as he added some salt into the dish he was cooking. When the food was finally done, we both carried our bowls to the living room to eat while watching TV. During the advertisements, we would strike up a conversation.
 
"Will you be moving back, Jang?" I asked as I hit my chopsticks against the side of my bowl.
 
"I don't know... Oh! I just remembered, I haven't told you!" 
 
He placed his empty bowl on the table and sat upright, with an excited expression on his face.
 
"Haven't told me what?"
 
"Oh, I went to this entertainment company, and signed up for audition."
 
Audition? Oh yes, I forgotten he has a great passion for dancing.
 
"You did? Wow, all the best for it then! When is the audition date?"
 
"Thanks. It's a month from now, so I still have time to practice! I've already ditched my job as a waiter at that restaurant anyway."
 
I looked at him, shocked receiving this news. He hasn't told me that either!
 
"You- what? Why didn't you tell me? When did you stop?"
 
"Just two days ago, after I mailed mum the money I earned."
 
Though I didn't want to say it this harshly, I had the urge to ask him a question.
 
"What happens if you don't make it to the company? You'll be jobless then."
 
Thankfully, he didn't take it in as a harsh comment or think that I was saying that he wasn't good enough. He had just the right amount of confidence.
 
"Well, I've been approved by several professional dancing tutors, so I guess that's good enough. Besides, don't you have confidence in me?"
 
I laughed coldly at his question. Something didn't feel right.
 
"Jang, if you succeed, will you move out? You know, to your own dorm with other members, unless you're debuting solo."
 
"I would have to, wouldn't I?"
 
______________________________
 
 
"YAH! Where the hell are you? You're supposed to be embracing me when I come back home." Jang shouted as he slammed the front door.
 
"I still want that door, Jang! Don't need to rip it off you know. So how was the audition?"
 
"Got complimented by the judges, they're going to list me down as a trainee! Gosh, I'm sweating; I'm going to get a quick shower alright?"
 
"Sure. Dinner will be ready once you're done."
 
I headed to the kitchen and pondered for a while. Jang had been accepted as a trainee so he will definitely move out once they notify him to do so. That would also mean that there won't be anyone to cook for me anymore, no one to accompany me to sing songs or watch TV, no one to talk to me. My only close friend was about to leave. Loneliness crept over me. 
 
He was a good friend, to me. He was a person I could talk to comfortably, maybe because he's been with me for.. six months already? From just a stranger coming to rent a room, to becoming the best of friends. I saw the pictures of us stuck onto the refrigerator, and I was sure I was going to miss all those moments with him.
 
"Hey, I'm done! Seriously, where's dinner?" He looked at me, dumbfounded.
 
"Huh? Oh damn, I'm sorry. I was just thinking of some things..."
 
"It's okay, let's just order chicken. Is that fine with you?"
 
I nodded.
 
The only person I knew that I could call a friend was going to leave me.
 
 
_______________________
 
 
"Packing already?" I asked as I stopped in front of his bedroom door.
 
"Yeah, they told me I could move in, by this Friday if possible."
 
"This bedroom is going to be empty again. No one to cook for me anymore, I guess."
 
"Awww. I know you're going to miss me, but look on the bright side, Joker. You're close friends with someone who might become an idol soon!"
 
I laughed although I felt a little depressed.
 
"I guess that's a good thing, but it's not going to be the same as before Jang. We were the J Duo - with me rapping and you dancing. Now you're leaving me to go on your own."
 
"Yah, come on, stop making me feel guilty. You know I've dreamt of being a star, don't you? It feels really great to be on stage."
 
I smiled, trying to hide the sadness I felt.
 
"Yeah, I understand. All the best, ex-roommate. I don't need to send you off at the bus stop tomorrow, do I?" I joked.
 
"Depends if you wake up early." 
 
__________________________
 
 
"Hey, take care, okay? Don't starve yourself. I'm pretty sure you've learnt a few tips on cooking from me, so stop eating ramen for heaven's sake."
 
"Will do. You'll come and visit, right?" 
 
"Maybe. We'll have to see if I get any free time. You know, you should consider what I told you before. You're a great composer and rapper, so why don't you go for the next audition? We could be celebrity buddies, and maybe even collaborate."
 
I scratched the back of my neck, hesitating.
 
"I don't know, Jang. I'm used to staying in this house; I don't really want to leave."
 
"It's okay; don't force yourself to do something you don't want to. Oh, the bus is here, I'm going off now, thank you so much for the hospitality for the past six months!"
 
No, thank you, Jang.
 
"Yah, don't forget about me once you're famous!" I bellowed.
 
"One day, we'll meet again, Joker!" He waved and boarded the bus.
 
I watched the bus speed off and I lost sight of it.
 
I do hope with meet again, Jang Hyunseung. A friend who has brought me company, then took it away.
 
______________________________________________________
 
Ta-dah, an update! :) This is just a small part, introducing Jang and Joker, about how they used to be close friends. Next chapter would be Yoseob's chapter, written by Kimmy. Did Kimmy just compliment me in her earlier chapter? Why thank you then, Kimmy. Btw, I have not been writing stories for ages alright, I just created my account last November. Good luck writing Chapter 4! I'll anticipate it too~
 
Yilixia.