Chapter 4: Yang Yoseob

Encountering You

 

I hopped on one foot as I tried to wear my shoes properly. ‘Aish, he’s going to kill me.’ I thought, entering the train. I kept fidgeting, hoping for a miracle that senior would be late as well.

Once the double door of the train opened, I dashed out. I ran as fast as I could towards the studio for vocal training.

I sprinted down the crowded street, making sure the contents of my bag didn’t spill. As I reached the building where I had vocal lessons; I tried to calm my breathing as I slowly pushed the glass doors open.

 

_______________________________

 

“Late again.” Senior said after I burst into the studio.

“Sorry…”I muttered sheepishly as I set my bag down and sat on the chair opposite him.

"The next time there will be punishments," Senior said harshly, glaring at me. I mentally rolled my eyes and nodded.

Senior took out a few sheets of paper, with lyrics neatly printed on it.

"I want all of you to read through the lyrics and gather up all your emotions to sing it. Yoseob, I would give you the honor to start first since you came late."

I grumbled and read the lyrics carefully, trying to see what emotions should I have while singing this song. I then realized that the composition was handwritten and not typed by computer. On the top left corner of the paper, there was a signature, and the word 'Joker', which I guessed was the composer's nickname. It's weird for a composer to have such a nickname though...

"So, Yoseob, are you ready to begin?" Senior asked, interrupting my train of thought.

"Oh, well, I guess so."

I stood up, hands and legs trembling as I did so. I tried to calm myself down, and I cleared my throat. 

"I will play the song once through and sing the tune, and then the second time you will sing instead, alright?" Senior was already sitting in front of the piano, fingers placed on the keys, ready to start any moment.

I listened attentively to the tune, trying to catch the beats. It was a song with quite a catchy feel to it, but there were several parts of rap. I was good at singing, but I was never good at rapping.

"Don't mind about the rapping, just sing the vocal parts. I'm starting soon, get ready." Senior warned.

I stated singing; stuttering at some parts, because I forgotten how the tune was like, and I couldn't get the feeling to it. Senior sighed and stopped playing. 

"Yoseob-ah, I think you should rest, you seem tired today. Okay, next person!"

I nodded and plopped on my seat. What was wrong today? I always did well in singing, but this composition was definitely a tricky one. It wasn't a ballad, and it wasn't like any of the songs we've sang before. It was a song with a mixture of almost everything, something this mind of mine couldn't comprehend. I looked at the lyrics once again, wondering how would the person feel while writing this song. 

Living without you was nothing
It was actually comfortable (Hopefully you are doing well too)
Back then I couldn't live to die and I missed you when I couldn't see you
Now that I think back on it, it is pretty funny (Never ever come back here)

 

Shrugging off an ex-girlfriend? For someone like me who has never been in a relationship, how exactly do I express my feelings in this song? Living without you was nothing? Man, if I didn't have Kikwang by my side, I would have been bored to death. I shifted my eyes to the composer's name once again. Joker? Sounds likes someone who enjoys joking around; this song was probably written when he was fooling around.

"Excuse me, senior?" I raised up my hand.

"Yes?"

"May I know who composed this song? I'm curious, since this song has quite a unique beat and feel to it."

"The composer? I'm not too sure, to be honest, but I know it was one of the submissions of the 'Lyric Writing and Song Composing Contest'. The composer was praised by a few professionals, saying that they're amazed to see such a fresh new composition, having a rare feel, one that not many could compose. So, they printed it out for me, and asked me if I would let the students try it out. I guess you guys aren't really suitable for these songs..."

"We should stick to singing ballads, senior."

He nodded and proceeded to teach us another technique of singing; when to hold our breath and when to let it go.  We all listened attentively, and I jotted down notes dilligently. I was always paying full attention during vocal classes.

 

______________________________

 

"Yoseob-ah, could you stay back for a little while? You're not rushing off to anywhere, are you?"

"No, senior." I closed the door I opened just a while ago, and trotted back inside.

" I just want you to help me clean up all these papers and stack them neatly, then place them on the table inside the staffroom. A special student is coming along, and I have to tutor him one on one. He's a good dancer, from what I heard, and his company reckons I can teach him a few vocal skills."

"Ah, that's great, senior, they made the right decision to choose you."

"Heh, but I'm not really that-" Senior stopped talking and looked outside. "Oh, I think they're here. Help me clean this up then you can go home, alright?"

Senior rushed out to greet the new student, who was much taller than I was. He had a pretty boy face, and eyes that sparkle when light shone on them.

"Nice to meet you, I'm sure the company informed you that Hyunseung was coming?" A man who was in his thirties shook senior's hand. The manager, I suppose.

"Yes, yes, it's nice to meet you, Hyunseung-ssi!"

"I'll leave him in the hands of yours for now, while I send the other trainees to their respective lessons. I'll be back to pick him up at 7pm."

With that, the manager left, leaving Hyunseung and senior alone in the room. I guessed I should quickly leave in case senior suspects that I was eavesdropping their conversation, although it wasn't anything confidential. I grabbed my bag and ran over to senior.

"Sunbae-nim, I'll leave now." I gave a 90 degree bow.

"Thank you very much for the help, Yoseob. Have a safe trip home."

"I will!"

The boy named Hyunseung looked at me from head to toe, then turned back to face senior. Realizing that omma would nag at me if I went home late, I quickly dashed to the subway station in case I missed the train and would have to wait for the next one.

___________________________________________________________________

HAI GUISE.

So yeah... The stories have combined, they have met their destiny and NOW- Okay sorry about that. ANYWAYS. My writing skills have deteriorated, I feel ashamed. Nonetheless please continue reading our stories *bows* I'll be looking forward to your supportive comments, always motivating us to write and write and write. :D THANKS FOR READING!

Kimmy