Chapter 1: Yong Jun Hyung.

Encountering You

"One day, we'll meet again, Joker!" Those were the last words he said to me before leaving.

We used to live in the same house, and the both of us were roommates. It seemed like it was so long since I got to know him. It was one particular day, when I was cooking ramen for myself in the kitchen, when I heard someone rapping on my front door.

Yes, I had a house for myself, a pretty small one, with two bedrooms, each with an attached bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room. I usually stayed in my room or the living room, composing songs, or switching random channels on TV, trying to find something interesting or perhaps get some inspiration.

"Excuse me, is there anyone home?" The unknown voice shouted from outside.

I placed my pot of cooked ramen on the table and hurried to the front door. Slowly, I turned the knob open to see who it was. I rarely had any visitors, I rarely had friends anyway. 

"Oh, hello there." A boy with a pretty face was standing outside my door.

"Anything?" I asked, curious to why he came knocking on my door.

"Well, I just came over to this district, and I don't have a place to stay. I happened to drop off at the bus stop just opposite your house, and I was wondering if you know any houses or rooms that are available for rent at this area?"

Available for rent? To be honest, I wasn't even close with any of the neighbors around here, because I usually just coop up at home, so I had no idea if there was any homes here for rent, or any for sale. Seeing that he looked quite polite, and wasn't those types to be irritating or annoying, I considered letting him stay with me, since I had an extra bedroom.

"Well, do you want it cheap or do you want it comfortable?" I tried to have a conversation with him to get to know how he's like.

"Hmm, as long as it provides a bed, or even a nice mattress, maybe with a table too, I guess it would be nice enough. I can't afford too expensive rents though."

"Then, are you having a long stay or is it just temporary?"

"Probably temporary, but if the owner doesn't really mind, I might stay for a longer time."

Seems like he's just wanting to rent a room, and when he gets more money - probably from working, then he'll get a small house of his own, or even rent a room in an apartment.

"Are you the messy type or you like keeping clean?"

He raised his eyebrow at me.

"Well, I need to know which type you are, since some owners are pretty picky, you know." 

He laughed. 

"I'm going to be pretty busy, so I don't think I'll have time to clean my room, but I do like keeping things clean. I just don't have the time sometimes."

I nodded in acknowledgement. 

"You could stay in my house then." I opened the door, letting him come in.

He stared at me.

"Your house? It won't be too incommodious for you, will it? I mean, it's not that I don't want to stay with you, it's just that it seems really cramped for you, and if I stay here, it would be even-" 

 

"Nah, it's okay. I usually stay in my own room anyway. I have an extra room, but we would have to share the bathroom."

"Oh? Thank you then. How much is the rent?"

"120000 Won a week? I guess. Scratch that, you don't need to pay for anything. Just get in the house."

"What? No, I have to pay you-"

"Just come in."

That was the first time I met him. He was pleased with his room, and kept on slipping money into my bag, or my notebook. Sometimes under my bowl of lunch. I returned all the money back to him, saying that as long as he can cook for me and keep me company, he wouldn't need to pay for anything.

 

_____________________________

 

"Yah, Junhyung. Why don't you ever show me what you write in that notebook of yours?" 

"This?" I lifted the notebook for him to see.

"Yeah, that one. You're always writing in it. No, it seems more like you're scribbling it. Or are you doodling?"

I held the book closer to me. I never show anyone my composed songs. I wouldn't make an exception for him, would I? He tried to snatch the book away from me, but my grip on it was firm.

"Alright then, continue what you're doing. Who knows you're writing love songs~"

I fidgeted in my seat, biting my lip.

"What's wrong? I couldn't have got that right, have I? You're composing love songs?"

I decided to just tell him, he's my roommate anyway. He's going to find out eventually.

"Not exactly love songs, but yes, I compose." I let out a sigh of defeat.

"Interesting... I never knew you were interested in composing."

I found it as a good chance to get to know each other better. He was always busy during the weekdays, working outside as a waiter at a nearby restaurant. It was one of the rare times where we get to sit together on the couch and have a conversation.

"What do you enjoy doing? I never really got to know. I know you're excellent at cooking." I laughed, as I placed my notebook aside to listen to him.

"I like dancing, though I have to admit I'm not really good at it."

"Dancing? Wow, I would not have guessed! I'm sure you pretty good at it, just need to put a little more effort into it. What made you come all the way here, by the way?"

"Just wanted to get a new life, I guess. My parents are having a tough time, and they fight a lot, so I decided to be independent and leave them to settle the problem. I hope you don't mind listening to this."

I shook my head and motioned him to continue.

"My dad owes a debt and my mum isn't too happy about it. They weren't on good terms anyway."

"So you're working to pay the debt for your father, or is it something else?"

He nodded, and reached out to take something from the table.

"I see. Are you going to leave once you get enough money?"

"Perhaps. If I decide not to, I could always mail the money to my mother." He was flipping a familiar book.

"Nice lyrics, Junhyung." He commented.

I looked at him, confused and puzzled. Then it hit me. He was holding and flipping through my song book.

"YAH! When did I say you could read it?"

"Too bad." He quickly returned me the book. "Already did." 

Then he scurried back to his room.

____________________________________________________________

This part hasn't ended yet :) It will be continued in Chapter 3, and Chap 2 will be Yoseob's story. There might not be a connection since two different authors are writing, but I'm sure it'll somehow connect in the end.

Thank you for viewing. 

Yilixia.