Chapter 6

Tavern of Souls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

6 months, 1 day, and 2 hours.

 

It’d been that long since Chanyeol worked at the tavern. And though he initially had a bad start with the vengeful spirit that almost attacked him, he had to admit that he hasn’t had any problems after that. Well, as long as he didn’t count his workmate—Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun was the fierce Spirit of Fire. Thus, it was why he was often hot-headed. He would often sneer at Chanyeol whenever they met. He hated the human him with a passion, but he will never admit why.

 

Even from the start, Baekhyun always sneered at Chanyeol or would throw him a glare. In contrast, Baekhyun was always a bubbly persona in front of Kyungsoo and Minseok. Though he acted like a sassy brat in front of Sehun, Yixing, and the kitchen staff, Chanyeol was the only one he showed such murderous intent.

 

When it came to being sassy and childish, Sehun was the go-to. Chanyeol got along well with him since he was forced to utter the truth and nothing but the truth. As the Spirit of Air, Sehun knew whenever someone lied to him with the change of their breathing. And though Chanyeol thinks that they get along, he actually has fun teasing the guy especially when it comes to Kyungsoo.

 

On the other hand, Chanyeol was still wary around Yixing. However, it was mostly because he felt this eerie feeling whenever he talked to Yixing as if he could see through Chanyeol, and it made him feel . So he didn’t usually talk to him unless necessary.

 

The people who worked in the kitchen were a blast to be with. Or at least as long as Junmyeon kept his jokes or puns to himself. This was due to one of the incidents when Junmyeon joked around while Chanyeol was still getting his training. Junmyeon was the Spirit in charge of guiding the soul to its chosen option.

 

At that time as Junmyeon let out his hand to offer it to the soul, he looked at the tavern before facing the child with a solemn look on his face, and out came words that baffled not only Chanyeol but everyone else with them. “I’m sorry that we didn’t have a kid’s section here.”

 

A snort escaped Minseok before he slapped his lips with his hand to stop. Meanwhile, Kyungsoo quirked one eyebrow as he shook his head.

 

“What? We don’t have juvie!”

 

Minseok turned away after this. Though he successfully suppressed his laughter, his shoulders were shaking, which was obvious that he liked the ridiculous joke.  Kyungsoo glared at Minseok before looking deadpan at Junmyeon, eyes filled with utter disgust.

 

“For a Spirit of Water, he’s not very smooth, ” Chanyeol whispered to himself as he felt his skin crawl.

 

Daeyeon, on the other hand, simply tapped Chanyeol’s arm as if telling him that this is what he’s going to experience when it came to Junmyeon. There was a pitiful gaze from the old man, and Chanyeol thought that Daeyeon was remarkable for lasting this long.

 

Unlike Junmyeon, who would often try to make people laugh with his puns, Jongdae and Jongin were different. The two were always filled with smiles and sunshine. Jongdae got along well with Chanyeol because they had the same interest while Jongin loved talking to Chanyeol because he liked listening about what was going on outside the tavern. As the Spirit of Earth, he always asks Chanyeol about the advancement of humanity to the planet. However, Chanyeol noticed how he sometimes looked sad whenever he mentioned the monstrosities that happened every often.

 

Since the tavern acted as the crossroads between different walkways in life and the afterlife, it was also protected by a strong barrier which they called the veil. It was an invisible force to humans but a very solid colour to the souls who refuse to repent. Once a year, the veil was lifted, and many supernatural things happen. Oftentimes, it was nothing of importance since Kyungsoo and Minseok made sure to eliminate any threat that dared to come out of their hiding.

 

Though the tavern was filled with Spirits as its employees, they were bound there until the veil was lifted. It was the only day where they could freely roam the world wherever they pleased to reach. Though this rule did not apply to Kyungsoo and Minseok who would often leave the tavern for personal reasons, the Spirits got to have a day off where they often travel around the world in hopes of watching people. To others, that 24 hours was nothing but to the Spirits, it was their precious 24 hours.

 

This was how the tavern continued to work in complete harmony for years, decades, centuries, and millennials. They’ve continued to take care of the living world as much as they possibly can by providing a place for the souls to cleanse themselves while taking care of the veil that protects the boundary of humans and hell. Though they’ve continued to work for years on end, only a chosen few manage to see the hard work they put in.

 

 

 

“Have you decided what you’ll get for supper?” Chanyeol looked up from his phone to see Jongdae standing by the doorway.

 

A smile was spread on Jongdae’s face as he walked into the staff room where Chanyeol was currently sitting. He pulled the vacant chair near Chanyeol to sit.

 

“I’m still not sure. I want a burger, but I also want pizza,” Chanyeol grumbled before looking at his phone to choose from the menu again.

 

“Ah! Right. Kyungsoo is looking for you. If you haven’t decided yet, you should go to him for now.” Jongdae chuckled before patting Chanyeol’s shoulder as a form of encouragement.

 

Chanyeol’s admiration towards the owner was not a secret to those in the tavern. Even the guests know how he feels, simply because he’s always been too obvious.

 

Staring at Kyungsoo whenever he possibly could. Smiling when Kyungsoo is smiling. Looking for Kyungsoo without reason. And whenever Kyungsoo was staring at him, he would be so flustered that it would take an idiot not to notice his feelings for the tavern ow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter