Chapter 2

Tavern of Souls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a bright day when Chanyeol chanced upon a wallet while walking down the street. He immediately wrinkled his forehead as a sense of curiosity filled his mind. He was just about to go out and overcome his disappointment by bothering his friends, who didn’t pick up when he called them, or spend time at the computer shop to play some games when he saw the wallet. He looked left and right, wondering who the owner might be.

 

Chanyeol had a strong sense of justice. Many people who knew him would say that he often strived hard to fulfil his task with more than a 100%. He gave his all, and some more, to make sure that he doesn’t have any regrets.

 

Picking up the wallet, he knew what he had to do. The moment he opened it, he was filled with the need to find its owner as if there was an unknown force urging him to do so. The wallet contents were minimal, a few cards, and an ID card that looked like it belonged to an old man. Looking through it, he noticed that there’s a business card hidden in one of the compartments of the wallet. Much to his surprise, the old man looked like he was working at a place he has never heard of before.

 

“Taverna della Stella Guida? Hm? What is this?”

 

The shining bold letters at the front of the business card were words he didn’t know. Even though he could read it, the definition was something he’d have to look for. As he turned the card, it contained a name and a phone number which he assumed would be the workplace.

 

“Should I just call and bring it over there?” He thought to himself as he shrugged his shoulders to pull out his phone from his pocket. 

 

Several rings later, no one picked up the call. He wondered why that was so, but he simply clicked his tongue. Since no one was answering, he looked for the establishment instead and wondered what it actually meant with the help of the trusty internet.

 

“Guiding Star Tavern? Tavern? Hmmm… I didn’t know we had a tavern here. Do I have to roll for initiative?” He whispered to himself before snorting at his own thought. He looked around to make sure that no one noticed him before he cleared his throat to set out for the day’s adventure. When he finally found it, his eyes widened in surprise to find out that it was located at the city centre. “Never noticed it.” He added.

 

He let out a huff as he proceeded to head over to the tavern in hopes of returning the wallet to its rightful owner.

 

The sunny sky was perfect for a walk, so he decided to do just that. Riding would bring him there faster, but his gut feeling told him that he didn’t have to rush. So he took his time, and leisurely walked towards the location that was marked on his phone.

 

People passed him with rushed steps, most of them were probably headed to work, while others took time and walked at a leisurely pace. He saw parents holding hands with their children, smiles on their lips, and brightness filling their faces. It was nice to have this kind of walk occasionally, he got to watch people while he followed his map.

 

As he passed a police station, he heard an old man taking a deep, defeated sigh. He immediately looked, by instinct, to see if there’s anything he can help with. But much to his surprise, the man that just earned his attention was the same man in the ID he saw in the wallet.

 

“Ah!” Chanyeol unconsciously let out a loud sound that startled the old man. He immediately covered his mouth to bow at the latter who was surprised at his sudden outburst. “I’m sorry for surprising you! I… well… actually…”

 

Chanyeol pulled out the wallet he found from his back pocket, revealing it to the old man who he startled. “I found this! I was going to your workplace to return it to you but I…”

 

“Ah! This! Thank you! Thank you so much for finding it!” the old man thanked, repeatedly bowing despite their . 

 

The tall young man immediately reached out to the old guy to stop him from bowing. It was understandable that he’d bow out of gratitude, but he was more satisfied with the fact that he managed to return the wallet above anything else. “Oh, it’s fine sir. I’m just glad I got to give it back.” He smiled brightly at the old man who looked at him with teary eyes. 

 

‘That must’ve been important to him.’ Chanyeol thought to himself as he bid farewell to the old guy. He smiled to himself, feeling content about the good deed that started his day. He couldn’t even help but smile out as he remembered how happy the old guy was when he returned the wallet.

 

Now that he was done with that, he felt his stomach rumble. He gave out a satisfied sigh before looking around to check at the available restaurants that were open. Since he hasn’t found a proper place to work yet, the disappointment that once clouded his heart lifted slightly. The old guy's smile was enough to reward his aching heart and bring back a smile to his face too. He headed off to go into a food stall that didn’t cost too much. He still needed to save the remaining money in his savings; which wasn’t that much. Calculating it properly, he only h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter