Chapter 06

Dreams and Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Discoverable Little Things

(Chp. 6)

 

 

After that incident at the tower I didn’t see him again nor sense his presence. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be something good or bad but regardless, weekend ended and Monday arrived. Nothing much happened on Sunday for me. I slept in and stayed at my room, drawing in the meantime until Hayeon came knocking at my door, asked me to join her for lunch at her room – her mom packed food for her to share with her friends. Jihae wasn’t there with us and so did Hayeon’s roommate so it was only the two of us in her room, eating Hayeon’s mom’s homecooked food while we were watching a movie from her laptop.

It was a movie from Earth

“Earth has a lot of good movies. I think it wouldn’t hurt to watch them” Hayeon said at that time when we were watching The Hunger Games. I turned my eyes away from the screen to her, “Where did you get movies or anything from Earth? I thought the worlds aren’t connected. I meant like downloading and all those stuff”

She nodded while chewing. “We can’t download or buy those things online here because our lines aren’t connected. Different words, right? But,” she points a finger up, “But some people here already bought or download – or however they got it from in the first place – when they went there. And they re-sell or publish it here afterwards for Atheians to get them” she took a sip of her water, pausing for a second. “That’s how the locals here knew a lot of things from Earth. They brought it from Earth and exposed them here" she told me.

We continued to watch the movie until the end-credit rolled in and in between of cleaning up, Hayeon mentioned something interesting. “I met Park Chanyeol yesterday” She said, voice soft and serious like it was a serious matter. 

I stopped at what I was doing at the time and turned to look at her, confused. “Park Chanyeol?” I said the name, the familiar name rolling on my tongue for me to remember. I blinked my eyes before my mind clicked. “You mean that tall guy Chanyeol from Junmyeon’s friends?”

She lightly snorted, “Of course I meant him. How many Park Chanyeols are there that you know?” she joked and I rolled my eyes goodheartedly at her.

“What about him? Where did you meet him?” I asked, continued with her topic. I was confused why’d she mentioned the senior. She pursed her lips, “I met him at the mall. I was shopping with my mom and then I saw him. And he talked to me” she said, her eyes wide when she said the last words.

I blinked my eyes at her serious reaction, “And?”

She moves her hands around as she exclaimed, “He talked to me, Ahri! He talked to me!”

I continued to stare at her, amused by her whole reaction.

“He said hi” she added after she stayed still again, looking at me.

I smiled, “And what did you do after he said hi?”

“I said hi back” she said before she sighed. “But I was sooo nervous. I didn’t think I'd see him again, especially not at the mall! And it had to be when I was alone. My mom was walking around and I got tired so I just sat in those empty chairs and then baam I saw him. Well, I didn't actually recognize him. He was the one who noticed me first then he said hi!" she explained animatedly, her facial expression showed all sorts of expression. I got more amused the more she was telling her story. “Then I got blanked when he spoke to me. He was 'Hi, you’re Hayeon, right? You’re Ahri’s friend, right?'”

My eyes widened, confused. “He mentioned...me? Why would he mentioned me?”

She nodded, “Those seniors remember you. I think it’s because of your hair" she said when she glanced at my hair. "He did said he remembered you because you remind him of him. His hair can turn red too” she added before she shook her hand dismissing it, “Anyway, then he took the seat next to me and started to talk more. I was nervous but I kept on talking to him”

I let out a giggle, amused by her whole reaction. I can feel something warm bubbling in my stomach. It felt nice. I never had a friend to talk to like this. Hayeon panicking while talking about boys. Felt odd but exciting at the same time. 

The girl continued story-telling her encounter with that senior. I do remembered that guy. I remembered him being the tallest among his friends and has a very distinguish ears for me to remember. Also, he looked nice, unlike someone. I shook my head when my thoughts brought me back to him and it didn’t go unnoticed by Hayeon.

She paused her words, “Hey what’s wrong?”

I shook my head at her as I got surprised as well at my own action. I didn't want to interrupt her or anything. “Nothing” I said and told her to continue. And she did. Hayeon continued talking; sharing about her nervous-self talking to that tall senior. It was fascinating to watch her and during all that, I did thought if I wanted to tell her about my own encounter with a certain senior too. But I was...it was so odd and weird to think about sharing it that I had kept my mouth shut. 

Our conversation went on until Hayeon’s roommate came back and it was my cue to go back to my room. I bid Hayeon goodbye and thanked her for the food (and I also gave her some word support for when or if she meets Chanyeol again – she smacked my arm). When I went back to my room, Jihae was already there as she just got back from her house. She gave me a bear-crushing hug before she went on telling me that she bought some gifts for her from her mom.

“Remember that time you told me that my mom is beautiful? Well, I told her!" She exclaimed excitedly before shoving the gift bags to my hands. The girl giggling as she presented a dress and a bag from the bags . My eyes widen at her, both at her words and the items. “And she's happy! Mom told me to give you this so here, your presents!”

“You’re kidding”

She shook her hand, grinning mischievously. “Nope”

“I can’t take this”

“Why not?”

"I didn’t do anything—Jihae, I can’t take this”

“Oh c’mon, just take them” she pushed back the items to my hands when I tried to give it back. Her grin still stayed on her face, “It’s non-returnable so just take it”

I pursed my lips, not wanting to accept such expensive gifts. From the way the items were packed and the quality, I assumed it’s expensive. “But—”

Jihae held her finger up my lips, “Up pup pup no buts”

And those were the things I had on Sunday and when Monday arrived, class resumes as usual. I started to use the bag Jihae gave to me (she forced me to use it ASAP). She even took evidence of me wearing it and sent it to her mom. It was embarrassing but at least Jihae was happy. I don’t know what to feel so I just thanked her again (and her mother) before I went to class and met up with Hayeon for our first class.

Class went as usual and after class I went back to my room to change into my training clothes. There are a few hours before my next class and I do what I often do; walking around the academy to pass the time. I stumble across a building with high glass walls and soon realizes that it’s a greenhouse. A very big greenhouse. 

"Woah" My eyes widen in awe, looking up at the building. My face automatically lit up seeing the trees, plants and flowers. All sorts of sizes and heights are here; small, short, thick, big and tall (as tall as it can get in the greenhouse). Many kinds and everything is pretty. I can't stop smiling, turning and looking around with my hands can't stop touching them. I can feel their natural pure energy waves oozing out and spreading it all around the area.

It is calming and wonderful to be here. My body is buzzing in glee. 

After a whole tour, I finally noticed that the greenhouse is empty. I spot a space, finding two wooden picnic tables with empty small pots on top of them. Behind them, there is a storage cabinet and an array of potted plants and flowers, small and growing, arranged on the ground.

I take a seat on the bench and breathe in the air, feeling calm and excited being around the plants. I pull out a book from my bag to read, seeing that I'm alone and the place is nice to  do some reading. After a while, I had fallen asleep with my head on top of the table and the book still opened in my hands. When I wake up, I snort at myself for falling asleep and also relieved that I didn't slept that long. I keep back the inside my bag, standing up and move my body around to loosen up that drowsiness.

My eyes catch the sight of a big tree near where I sit and I walk up towards it. Like a habit, I raise my hand to place my palm on the bark. My lips pull up a smile when I can feel the surge of pure energy welcoming me. I close my eyes then, letting the energy flow into my body to rejuvenate me – instantly making me refresh and happy--

Wait

I open my eyes then. Sensing some other presences in the area. Wait, I could sensed two...two people are in the vicinity. I immediately become curious because it is familiar. My eyes widened.

It’s him! He’s here

I turn around and walk away from the tree. My feet as if has a mind of its own, continue heading forward towards where he might be. There is some quiet boyish chattering can be heard the closer I get. Males, the people that came in here are boys. Who came with him? Why'd they here in the greenhouse? Before I could identify who is with him, the voices quiet down. I continue walking, still curious and turning towards a corner to try to spot them—

Ummppfff

I wasn’t prepared for the collision, hitting somebody and clumsily I lost my footing, my body falling back with my arms failing around. “Woah—” I had readied myself to hit the ground but someone had suddenly wrapped their arms around me. Unconscious my arms quickly holding onto him, my arms around the person’s shoulders for support. My eyes widen when I stare up at the person’s eyes, it’s him! His eyes are wide as mine.

His face is so close! So close that I can spot some bits of swirly orangey hue inside his dark brown eyes. Weird eyes but pretty. His skin is flawless, fair and I noticed he has a few moles. The most prominent one is on his upper lip which his lips is pinkish and pouty.

I don’t know how long we are staring right now but my heart start to beat faster the longer I stare at him. I gulp, this is not good, this is not good. What is this? This is not good. My skin is tingling, my body warming up and I wonder if he notices—

Someone clearing his throat and the eye contact is broken.

I almost went falling down to the ground when he suddenly pulls his arms away but I quickly hold on and pull myself up – much to his annoyance that I’m using him as a standing pole. When I am standing normally, we retreat from each other like two same magnetic poles. The person who had cleared his throat is apparently Jongdae which got me surprise seeing him. I can sense my face heating up in embarrassment.

Jongdae has a teasing raised eyebrow at us, looking back and forth between us like he’s evaluating the situation. My attention drifts away from him when I see the other senior, that Byun Baekhyun, squinting hard at me.

“What are you doing here”

“What are you doing here?” I ask back, finding myself returning his hard gaze.

He purses his lips, getting pissed. “Are you stalking me again? Don’t you have better things to do. First it was the tower then now here”

“Me? Stalking you?” I almost snort out, “Why would I even stalk you”

“Then why you’re here if it’s not you stalking me?”

“I was looking at the plants, can’t I look at them? And why are you here?”

“I was just—oh, forget it” he doesn’t finish his words before he storms off with an annoyed face, leaving me with an amused looking Jongdae.  

“Well, that was interesting to watch” he utters, raising both his eyebrows at me before looking out for his friend’s whereabout.

“No, it’s not” I mumble quietly under my breath but he hears it anyway, giving me a smirk. I purse my lips in embarrassment, my fingers fiddling with the hem of my shirt. “I don’t know what’s his problem”

Jongdae hums flatly, eyes looking at the side and behind him before we heard the sound of a door closing. The man turns back to me, pointing a thumb behind his shoulder. “And that, he left”

I frown, pouting unconsciously on my own as I stare at the door far up front before I hear a deep chuckle from Jongdae. I turn my gaze back on him, seeing him smiling. His lips open beautifully, the corner of his lips curling up. "Don’t mind him. He's probably on his period” His words make me smile and that brings another smirk out on him. “We actually came here to grab his jacket” he said, “Baekhyun left it somewhere in here”

“Why'd he leave his jacket here in the first place?”

He shrugs, “Probably getting some bandages or maybe he watered the plants”

That state makes me raise my eyebrows, dubiously looking at him. “He watered the plants?” I ask, quite in disbelief. Jongdae looks amused again at my dumbfoundness. He shrugs, smirking.

“He may look like an idiot but he can water the plants, Ahri”

I shake my head at his words, “I don’t mean it like that. I didn’t say he can’t, I was, I just didn’t think he would go to the greenhouse just to water the plants”

He hums, “Well, it’s not always either. Just something he do to pass his time or distract him if he’s going through something” he tells me before he glances around the area. “The greenhouse is empty most of time, except for when the gardener wants to keep the place clean. Other students rarely go here so It’s nice to be here. You know, to clear up the mind and have some time alone when no one would barge in. The rest of us do it too but rarely”

I merely nod my head at his words.

“Anyway,” the senior looks back at me, “What’s up with you and Baekhyun? He seemed pissed”

I purse my lips, now with an annoyed frown on my face. I shake my head at his question, “I wish I knew. He never told me what his problem is with me. It’s like he’s mad at me for no reason” I said and Jongdae walks closer to give me a pat on my shoulder.

“It’s ok, maybe he’s going through something. I’ll try to ask him to not be an idiot, ok?” His words bring an amused smile on me before he gives me his smile again. Talking to Jongdae really brings comfort and after a few more moments of talking, he told me he had to go.

“Well, I have to go. I have to catch up with Baekhyun but I’ll see you soon again, if fate meets us again” he says and give me good natural wink. I chuckle at him. He laughs then. “Alright bye, Ahri” he waves his hand and in return I give him a bow. I watch him walking to the door before I am left alone in the greenhouse again.      

When there is no one, no other heartbeats or presence inside the area, my mind suddenly goes back to Baekhyun. Why oh why do I had to bump into him out of all people? And why do he had to be so close to me too! His arms were around my back, his eyes staring back at mine and my head keep playing the scene again and again, making me grow flustered as time goes by.

I purse my lips when that familiar heart beating thumping inside my chest again and I don’t know if I want to know why it is beating like that. I shake my head and decide to head to the cafeteria because apparently it's lunch time. After getting myself food, I spot Hayeon at a table and Jihae is with her, chatting among themselves. They stop when they saw me.

“Hey Ahri” Hayeon greets me brightly as I take the seat next to her, Jihae sitting opposite from us.

I smile back to both of them. “What you guys talking about”

Hayeon giggles shyly at my question, “Oh, I was just telling Jihae what I’d told you before”

“About what?” I glance at her while picking up my chopsticks.

“About Chanyeol”

And that name, I pull up a smile at her, a bit of a teasing one. Jihae rolls her eyes before nodding her head at the brown-haired girl. “She has a crush on Chanyeol—ow!”

“I don’t have a crush on him”

“Really?” Jihae counters back, having a sly smirk on her as Hayeon gradually getting redder by the second. The blonde girl rub her hand after getting hit by Hayeon. “You don’t sound like you don’t have a crush on him”

“What did I even sound like. I didn’t act anything weird. I was just telling you about him”

“So why are you blushing” is what Jihae said and true to her words, Hayeon can’t stop her blush from coming. The girl giggles and I chuckle quietly, glancing at both of them.

“How can I crush on him when I only met him twice?” Hayeon wonders back, denying it. “And besides, he’s too tall”

That bring out a snort from both me and Jihae. “You’re not that short” I say, turning my head to her. “You’re quite tall Hayeon”

“Exactly! You're the tallest between us and we're just midgets”

I give Jihae a look, though I’m not denying it. I am quite on the shorter side.

Hayeon purses her lips, “I’m not that tall guys--look, that's not the point. I just think that it’s stupid that I have a crush on him because I just met the guy and!” the girl takes a deep breath with an exaggerate expression. “He’s a high status!” she whispers, shrieking at us. “I know he’s super handsome and all but he’s one of the minister's son. He’s rich and I, I am an ordinary girl with no gold bars in her hands”

Both of us snort again simultaneously

“Oh shut up, you’re being overly dramatic” Jihae concludes. “I'm only saying you have a crush on him, not marrying him, you drama queen”

Hayeon shrugs, “Still…my point stands”

“And Chanyeol doesn’t care about status. None of them does” Jihae adds more, “If you’re lucky, you’ll get him. Hayeon-ah, it's not often I heard him approaching some girl and then talk to her” she gives Hayeon a look. “And that some girl is you. You're lucky! Maybe it's fate”

“Don’t try to set me up with him, Jihae. I know you’re close to them but no. As much as I think he’s gorgeous as , I don’t think I’m ready for him”

I chuckle at that, nudging my arm at hers. “Why? Because he’s too tall? or too rich?”

“Both” Hayeon gives me a look, “And he’s strong with his powers and not to mention he has a lot of fangirls. I don’t want to get my head rip off my body”

Jihae rolls her eyes, “You’re overreacting. And just ignore them. I had stinking eyes too but I learned to just ignore all of them”

“You’re different, Jihae. Your parents are close to the high councils. Your father almost got the title as one of the ministers too but he refused. You’re just as privilege as Suho oppa and the rest”

Jihae frowns at that

“And I,” Hayeon continues again, “I’m just an ordinary civilian. My parents are normal office workers”

The blonde girl sighs out, “I don’t know about what privilege you’re talking but I am definitely not like Suho oppa or the rest. I’m also just like you or Ahri or anybody else. If you’re talking about Suho oppa’s privilege, then that’s royalty. I have none of those, ok. I didn’t go to special homeschool or private training or anything. I’m just like you too, Hayeon-ah” Jihae continues, “And about those stink eyes, yes I got them a lot in the past and still am, whenever they saw me together with them but because it’s not even my fault, I ignore them. Oppa also told me to ignore them”

Both of us purse our lips. Hayeon feeling guilty. “Are you mad?"

Jihae pulls up a smile, waving her hand. "No, I'm not"

"I'm sorry. I didn’t mean to offend you”

The girl shakes her head, “Naw, it’s ok. My heart is not fragile” she jokes about it. Hayeon keeps repeating her sorry until Jihae smacks her with a spoon on her head, gaining an “Ow!” from the girl. “Now stop apologizing, geez. I’m fine and if you want to make it up for me then I have something for you to do”

“What is it?” Hayeon asks dubiously, me and the girl looking at Jihae, who is looking suspicious with her sly smirk. “Why do I have the feeling I won’t like it—”

“I want you to go over to Chanyeol and talk to him”

“WHAT--" Hayeon shuts with her palm immediately after she suddenly exclaimed out loud. I facepalm myself, smiling behind my own hand. "” Hayeon exclaims again, eyes looking like it’s going to pop out from its socket. She shakes her head in denial. “No, uh uh nope! Anything but that”

I let out a quiet laugh, seeing both the girls having two different expressions; one is having a dramatic panic attack and the other one being mischievous, laughing like she’s plotting something – which isn’t too far to the truth. She’s trying to make Hayeon go to Chanyeol, to which by some wicked timing, I see the said tall senior walking into the cafeteria alongside his friends. I spot Kai, Jongdae and that Baekhyun guy.

I don’t even know which expression I want to make; to be annoyed and frustrated about seeing Baekhyun again or to be amused by Hayeon’s reaction after seeing those seniors coming in especially when her eyes fell on the tall one with the platinum silver hair. “” her eyes wide before she tries to lay low by busying herself with eating, even though there is not that much left on her tray.

Jihae, who sits opposite from us had turned around to see what’s going on and seconds later, she turns back to us to give a big sly smirk to Hayeon. "He's here~"

“Jihae, please just give me something else. This is not some truth or dare stuff! This is about my sanity”

I laugh

Jihae sighs defeatedly, even with a smile on her face, “Hayeon-ah, don’t be dramatic. Just go to him and say hi. It’s not that difficult. You’re a bright and friendly girl, why do you look so terrified seeing him? You’ve talked to many guys before”

“It’s because he’s those seniors! I feel like I’m not worthy to talk to them”

Jihae snorts so loud with a deadpanning expression. “You’ve got to be kidding me” she sighs again, rubbing her forehead before she tries again, glancing at me for a second. She grabs hold of one of Hayeon’s hand on the table, “Look, just go talk to him. Be the friendly girl you are. Just talk to him like you’re talking to your classmate Haechan. It’s easy, nothing to be afraid of and if you’re too scared to go up to them then bring Ahri with you—”

I give her a look

“—because I’m sure she’s thrilled to see Baekhyun too after their weird interactions”

“Please, don’t bring me up with this. I don—”

“I’m sure Ahri is as excited as you to meet those seniors, right? They are handsome, good looking and nice,”

I had to frown at the last word, dubious about the description. Sure, Jongdae, Kai and Chanyeol are nice. They had never glared at me, unlike somebody.

“They’re not going to bite you two. They’re bunch of nice dorks, as what Suho always describe them as” Jihae continues, ending her speech with a professional smile and a teasing wink to the both of us.

The seniors had taken a seat at an empty table on the first floor, far from us. I’m not sure if they have seen us or not (or if that Baekhyun sensed me yet). Hayeon let out a sigh then. I turn my head to look at her, her eyes showing more determination that a few seconds ago as she cracks her neck side to side with a hard gaze like she’s preparing to fight a battle. She clicks her tongue, eyeing a certain senior's table up the distance.

“Alright Jihae,” she starts, glancing at the said girl and me, grabbing my hand which I blink my eyes in shock at her. “I take your mission—”

“That’s right! Be that strong girl, you can do this Hayeon—”

“I’m going to them and Ahri’s going to join me—”

“Please don’t bring me—”

“—for support” she finishes with her eyes going to me, suddenly giving me the big eyes and pouty lips. I gulp, feeling my heart beating faster at the idea of going over to meet Baekhyun for no reason. My encounter with him earlier at the greenhouse is still fresh in my mind. I purse my lips when Hayeon keeps looking at me with those big eyes, persuading me to follow her. It’s the jutting of her pouty mouth that I sigh out loud,

“Alright, fine”

“Yeay!” Both girls exclaim excitedly. I shake my head in amusement at the both of them while gulping down the anxiety from whatever reason I’m not sure about. “Alright, go go. It’s not often they took the table in the first floor so maybe this is your chance--Ahri, quit looking so scared, Baekhyun’s not that scary”

I give her a look at those words

“He’s like a puppy. An overgrown cute puppy with an awful lot of duty as the crown prince”

“Dang, Ahri is in even mor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter