Chapter 7

ILLUSION

 

Yuri picked Hana up, freshly bathed, and wearing a green towel with a hood that looked like a frog. She kissed her tiny daughter's forehead affectionately. It was still unfathomable to her that it should feel so natural for her to not only feel such a strong love for the little girl she'd just met but also that the act of mothering itself should come so naturally to her. She guessed instinct wasn't lost when her memories were, and she was thankful for it.

 

"What do you want to wear today Bun?" she asked, carrying her into her pink bedroom, and setting her down on the floor.

 

"Pink!" Hana exclaimed.

 

"Definitely my child." Yuri said, chuckling. She walked to Hana's closet, opening it up and walking into it. She found a pair of tiny jean shorts on a shelf and pulled them down, handing them to her little girl. Then she pulled a pink puffy sleeved blouse hanging off a hanger.

 

"This okay?" she asked. Hana nodded, and Yuri helped pull her into the outift, leaving the towel on the ground for that maid Yunho claimed they had.

 

"Okay, I guess I'm the one that needs to get ready now. Why don't you go tell appa that you're ready, and that he should come up and get dressed too. Then you can stay downstairs and play with Ga In until we're ready, alright?" Yuri said, turning to walk out.

 

"Umma," Hana said. Yuri looked back to see what her daughter was inquiring about. "I'm not wearing any shoes." the little girl pointed to her indeed bare feet.

 

"Oh, right. Shoes." Yuri turned back around and walked back to Hana's closet, "Where are your shoes?" she mumbled, looking around the square area large enough to be used as a small spare bedroom.

 

"Not in there umma! In my shoe closet!" Hana tugged Yuri's hand over to another door on the left end of the adjacent wall, one which Yuri had not noticed.

 

"Wow kid." Yuri said, opening the door to reveal a collection of shoes almost as large as the one she had had in college. She selected a cute pair of strappy sandals, but Hana firmly shook her head.

 

"The playground mulch gets all in them and hurts the bottom of my feet." Hana said, "Ga In only lets me wear tennis shoes there now, on account of, she said I was doing too much complaining. And I told her that appa says you do to much complaining too. And she said she's not suprised." Hana nodded her head, as if verifying that her account of the matter was entirely true, and reached for a pair of sneakers, entirely sequined of course, as Yuri's tastes would have it.

 

"Did she now." Yuri said tightly, with a smile that even to a child was easily read as sarcastic. She wasn't incredibly fond of the nanny. Maybe a new one was in order along with the new Yuri. Well really, she was the old Yuri wasn't she? No, she was just the same Yuri without the new memories, a fraction of the whole person.

 

Hana had found a pair of the socks and was slipping them on her feet. She put a sneaker on her foot, and then offered her feet to her mother. Yuri knelt down to tie the shoe, and helped Hana put the other one on as well.

 

"Go get appa now, okay?" Yuri said. Hana nodded and jumped up, running out of the room, as kids have a tendency to do. They didn't walk from place to place because it wasn't efficient, and children always traveled with the ambition of getting somewhere; the faster you arrived, the better.

 

Yuri headed back to her and Yunho's bedroom. She smiled looking at the still messy bed, thinking of what Yunho had said earlier, trying to reason her sudden memory lapse- "We were pretty wild last night..." She smiled at the thought, certain that the bed had witnessed a lot, if Yunho still made twenty seven year old Yuri as crazy as he did the nineteen year old. She glanced around the room, trying to decide which door would contain her clothes. Did her and Yunho share the same closet? There were six doors in the room, one leading outside into the hallway, one into their bathroom, a sliding glass door leading out onto the balcony, and three unknowns. She settled on walking out the balcony door first instead of testing what was behind one of the mystery three. The balcony overlooked a large kidney shaped pool, surrounded by trees, ones which further beyond she could see another large rooftop peeking out from behind. She was glad the back of the house was relatively a private area.

 

Suddenly, someone was grabbing her from behind, and she reflexively screamed, taken by suprised. She realized who it was before she turned around, and laughed a little when she locked eyes with Yunho, who had simply been slipping his arms around his wife's waist.

 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." Yunho said, kissing her forehead.

 

"That's okay, I'm a little jumpy I guess." Yuri nestled her head in the crook of Yunho's neck, undescribably happy to be this close to him. "Out of all this the hardest thing for me to believe is that you actually agreed to marry me." she murmured.

 

Yunho his wife's hair, "I said the same thing to you in our vows." he said. She giggled.

 

Yuri and Yunho stood like that for a few minutes, holding each other contentedly. Finally she looked up at him breaking the comfortable silence, "I think I want a new nanny for Hana." she said.

 

"Why?" Yunho asked. He kissed Yuri's nose, unable to resist with the way she was looking up at him, despite the fact that he dissagreed with her statement, "Ga In's very responsible and really nice to Hana. I hired her myself."

 

"I don't think she likes me at all, and I don't want her putting thoughts into my daughter's head about me." Yuri said, "Why'd I let you pick the nanny?" she added.

 

"You said you didn't have time, and told me to just pick one. You said if Hana didn't like her, we'd fire them until we found the right one." Yunho said laughing, "But I thought I should at least interview them all, and see them interact with Hana. Ga In was the best choice I think."

 

"Would you let me interview some people and see if we found someone we liked better? Then maybe we could hire them instead." Yuri said.

 

"Well, I mean, I guess that would be okay, but I would prefer to wait, until..." Yunho looked down at her, dropping his sentence.

 

"Until what?" Yuri asked. She kissed his parted lips, and he rubbed her back a little in response.

 

"Until, you know, you're back to normal... I mean you'd probably want to be in your right mind, right, before you started taking extreme measures like firing our staff?" Yunho looked at her nervously, seeing her expression to be upset just as he'd feared.

 

"My right mind?" Yuri said, swallowing, "Yunho I keep telling you, I'm mentally sound, I simply only know the first nineteen years of my life. Nineteen is young, but it's old enough to make decisions like this."

 

"Right." Yunho muttered, shutting his eyes for a second like this was too much to handle, and Yuri felt momentarily guilty. She didn't even remember being married to him, so it did make this situation slightly awkward. Never having lived in this house in the knowledge of her life that she had, and feeling a bit like a stranger did make her slightly worried about imposing on Yunho and Hana's lives. But it was obvious that she was one third of a whole when it came to them, and she was very sure that all her motherly inclinations towards Hana remained untampered with.

 

"Yunho, I haven't lost my motherly instict." Yuri said to him, pleading at him through her eyes. "Please don't tell me I'm not in my right mind when it comes to caring for Hana. Please."

 

Yunho cupped her chin in his left hand, gently tilting her head up until her eyes met his once again. "Yuri, I know that's true. I didn't mean to accuse you of being crazy or anything relative to that. I love you, and I know you, and I trust you. Always."

 

Yunho leaned in to kiss her but stopped only inches from her face, and inquired with his eyes if it was okay. Yuri answered by bringing her lips those last few inches and softly pushing them against Yunho's. He kissed her back, pulling her body even closer to his, if that was even possible.

 

"I know you don't remember loving me, but I love you so much." he said to her when they pulled away.

 

"I don't remember dating you, or marrying you, or even having a child with you." Yuri said, "But I do love you Jung Yunho. I think that's instict too."