Chapter 2

ILLUSION

 

Yuri looked at Hana again. "She's beautiful." she said to both Yunho and the small girl in her arms.

 

"You're beautiful umma." Hana said, reaching out and tracing Yuri's lips with her small finger.

 

Yuri looked up helplessly at Yunho. "I don't think I know my life." she admitted, "I don't remember a thing.


 
Yunho rubbed Yuri's back.
 
"Are you okay?" he asked, "What are you talking about?"
 
Yuri looked down at Hana, who was still in her arms.
 
"Are you hurt? Do you need a band aid?" Hana asked, "I'll kiss it and make it better." Yuri laughed a little. Really, how cute could a little girl be? Was this really her child?
 
"Why don't we get her some breakfast or something first, and then we can talk privately." Yuri decided. If she really was Hana's mother, she didn't want to alarm her by openly admiting she had no idea who her child was.
 
"Um, sure." Yunho said.
 
"Privately?" Hana sighed heavily, "I hate when you talk 'privately'. It's a grown up word for keeping secrets from me." Hana shook her head and placed her hand on her forehead, as if she were gravely dissapointed in Yuri. Again, Yuri had to laugh. She kissed the little girl's curly hair. It felt natural even if she'd just met her this morning.
 
"Sorry Hanabear." Yunho said to his daughter, "But sometimes we have to talk about Mommy and Daddy stuff, that you're not quite old enough to understand."
 
Hana scrunched up her nose, and stuck out her tongue at him. Yunho snatched her from Yuri's arms and threw her up in the air, catching her with ease. She squealed in delight. Yuri smiled.
 
Yunho stuck Hana sideways under her arm, her legs sticking straight out, and carried her down the hallway to the starewell. She giggled wildly. Yuri watched them together. Yunho was a good father. She followed the two downstairs.
 
"I want blueberries!" Hana exclaimed, when Yunho set her down downstairs. She ran full speed into the kitchen.
 
"You said you wanted scrambled eggs!" Yuri said, following her into the room.
 
"And then I changed my mind." Hana replied, "I want blueberries, and bananas, and strawberries."
 
"Please." Yunho instructed.
 
"Blueberries, and bananas, and strawberries. Please." Hana said.
 
"Ok Hanabear." Yunho said. He walked to the refridgerator and began withdrawing fruit.
 
Yuri studied the little girl in front of her. Hana looked very small in her chair. It was higher up than the other ones. Yuri wondered if that had been her idea. When she and Ji Yong were small, their parents had replaced two chairs out of the set around their kitchen table with higher ones, so that the children could reach the table without feeling demeaned by a booster seat. Hana had her elbows propped on the table, and was cupping her face in both her hands.
 
Yunho set down a small bowl in front of Hana filled with blueberries, and chopped up stawberries and bananas.
 
"Yummy! Thanks Appa." Hana picked a blueberry up with her tiny left hand, and popped it in .
 
Yunho returned, and set a bowl of fruit in front of Yuri as well. She smiled greatfully up at him, allthough she had little an appetite at the moment.
 
"I need to talk to you." she reminded him.
 
"Right." Yunho said. "Hanabear, how about we take your breakfast into the living room and let you watch cartoons while you eat it?"
 
"Okay." Hana said. She slid out of her chair, and left the kitchen. Yunho went and got a tv tray out of the pantry and carried it into the living room. Yuri followed. Hana was already sitting on the floor crosslegged, looking up at the large tv. Yunho set the small table and fruit down next to her, and kissed her on the cheek.
 
"So," he said, when him and yuri were heading back into the kitchen, "What on earth is going on with you baby?"
 
"I like when you call me baby." Yuri said simply. Yunho smiled at her and kissed her nose.
 
"Yunho, last night I was nineteen, and then I woke up today, and here I am, married to you with a little girl, and I have no idea what's happened in the last, well however many years it's been!" Yuri admitted everything openly at once, sighing heavily in relief.
 
"Is this some sort of quarter life crisis?" Yunho asked, "Babe, you're not even in your thirties yet, don't start this already."
 
"No, you don't get what I'm saying." Yuri said.
 
A look of realization swept over Yunho's face, "Are you trying to say you're not ready for another baby?", he asked, reaching out and taking her hands in his, "Because, that's okay, just let me know baby. We've been talking this over for months, and I thought you really wanted to try again, but if you've changed your mind, that's okay, sweetie."
 
"No, no, Yunho, that's not it at all." Yuri said, "I'm trying to tell you that I don't remember who I am today. I mean I know who I am, but I don't know who you are. Well I do know who you are, but I don't know who Hana is." Yuri sighed heavily, trying to organize her thoughts. "The last memory I have was going to bed last night when I was literally nineteen and in my dorm room. I woke up this morning here, and find out we're married, and I have a daughter. And she's beautiful and wonderful, and I love her, but I don't know who she is beyond this morning. I don't know what's wrong with me!" Yuri burst into unexpected tears.