Chapter 6

ILLUSION

Yuri gave him her best puppy dog eyes, something she knew had always worked well on her parents.

 

"Okay." Yunho caved easily, "I can never say no to you when you look at me like that. We'll all go. Ga In, do you mind? We'll still pay you of course."

 

"Of course." Ga In said, "I'll get Hana ready."

 

"No!" Yuri said, a bit more adamently than she meant to, "Sorry." she said quickly, "I just, I'll get Hana ready."

 

"Um, okay." Ga In replied.

 

"Yul, you know, Ga In usually does that kind of stuff." Yunho said to her.

 

"She does?" Yuri was genuinely suprised, "But isn't that suppost to be bonding time with my child? It's one thing to hire someone while I'm working but why would I want another woman taking care of her when I could be?"

 

Yunho looked thoughtful, "I don't know." he replied, shaking his head, "You spend time with Hana, and you love her, but you know, you've never been one for chores. You don't really like helping her get dressed and take a bath, things like that."

 

"Those aren't chores." Yuri choked out. She felt horrible and neglectful. Was she just as bad now as she was at nineteen? Incredibly self centered? She'd spend time with her daughter when it was fun stuff, but when it came to the tolls of parenthood, she'd just hire someone else to do the job?

 

"Yuri, it's no big deal. Most people around here have nannies." Yunho said. He pulled her close to him and kissed her temple, "And I've never seen any mother love a child like you love Hana. My own parents definitely weren't as affectionate towards me as you are to her." He assured her.

 

Yuri nodded, her eyes tearing up, "Okay." she said, "But still, can I get Hana dressed today?"

 

"Of course." Yunho said. He kissed her and wiped the one tear that had fallen out of her eye anyways away with his thumb.

 

"Okay." Yuri said. "Bun, come here." she called to Hana.

 

"You remembered." Yunho breathed.

 

"Huh?" Yuri asked.

 

"Bun, you just called Hana Bun." Yunho explained.

 

"So?" Yuri asked, confused.

 

"So, Bun is your nickname for her, it's what you always call her. I call her Hanabear, and you call her Bun." Yunho explained.

 

"Oh." Yuri said, "Well, I've always used that nickname I think. I mean, it's what I call Ben." she explained, blushing a little to think she refered to her daughter the same as her dog.

 

"Oh." Yunho said softly. She felt bad. He had gotten his hopes up, thinking her memory was coming back.

 

"Hana," Yuri called again.

 

"I'm coming umma." Hana said. She left her barbies discarded.

 

"No ma'am, go back an pick those up." Ga In said strictly.

 

"Why?" Yuri asked. She had rarely picked up toys when she was little. When her parents had commanded her to do so, she would throw tantrums, until her mother cleaned up for her. It usually left her mom in a bad mood, but even then little Yuri was smart enough to know to be satisfied because she'd gotten what she wanted.

 

"We have a nanny, but we don't have a maid?" Yuri questioned Yunho.

 

"We have a maid." Yunho said.

 

"Yes, but I'm trying to enstill better values than that in Hana." Ga In added quickly. "I know you tend to spoil her, but I think she needs some discipline coming from someone, even if it's the nanny."

 

Yuri's eyes flashed dangerously. Yunho recognized that look from high school.

 

"Are you trying to tell me the way I raise my daughter is wrong?" Yuri asked, an icy tone underlining her voice.

 

"No." Ga In said quietly.

 

"Yuri." Yunho said soothingly, "Take Hana upstairs and get her ready, okay? Ga In wasn't trying to imply anything."

 

"Fine." Yuri grumbled. She took little Hana's hand in her own and led her upstairs. Yuri sighed, "Hana, do you think umma's good at, well at being an umma?" she asked her daughter tentatively. Children were always truthful in their opinions even if it was brutally so, right?

 

"You're the best umma in the entire world." Hana said enthusiastically. She threw her arms around Yuri's legs, hugging them tightly. Yuri smiled. It was unfathomable that she could have only known someone for a few short hours, and already love them such an incredible amount. That had to be motherly instict. That was not something she was imagining, she was sure it was real. She scooped her tiny daughter up into her arms, and kissed her cheek. The idea of being a mother made her feel accomplished, and she forgot the horrible state she was in several hours ago.

 

"I love you." she said. It felt special. It was the first time she'd ever told Hana this, not actually of course, but in her memory.

 

"I love you too." Hana wrapped her arms tightly around her mother's neck and kissed her cheek.