7 | watching in the distance

2nd Lead Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Too bad.

I had to decline Jimin's offer and go to track practice.

I couldn't go even if I wanted to anyway. The story was already changing by itself ever since my encounter with Jimin at the zoo.

Nonetheless, the track team was supposed to be done for today...but the coach decided to punish me and run ten laps for being an hour late. I told him about my tutoring situation, but he shrugged it off and told me to meet my everyday quota.

Thus, the reason why I'm now so out of breath and running around the track for the past seven minutes.

Hahhh... I'm so tired.

There were only a few students around. The soccer team practicing on the nearby field, a few of my teammates, and who caught my eye the most—Aeri was sitting on the bleachers, attention focused on Junwoo who was having fun while in a match with his teammates.

This part of the story was never shown in the webtoon, so it was one of the behind-the-scenes. Sometimes, I forget that they're actual human beings in this world. I couldn't help but always wonder what kind of magical force is driving them to follow the original storyline whatever changes I accidentally create.

"What are you? A sloth?! Move faster, Kim Minjeong! And take those glasses off, they're holding you back!"

My coach suddenly yelled, causing me to flinch as I was too lost inside of my thoughts. Because I didn't want him to scold me more, I didn't say a word and obeyed his order. When I ran past my bag on the side of the track, I threw my glasses onto it and started running as fast as I could.

Three laps left.

I'm exhausted.

Because this wasn't my original body, my body felt light while running. I was glad that my original physique wasn't brought into this world, or else, I would've been at risk of losing the scholarship this Kim Minjeong had.

"Amazing... you can sprint that fast and long? I've never seen you do that. You told me long-term sprints were your weakness!"

The coach complimented me as soon as I finished running and I only responded with a smile. My legs felt like giving up so I collapsed onto the bench and immediately drank a whole bottle of water.

"I hope you tell me beforehand if something like that comes up again. I'd be happy to help."

He must be talking about my tutoring situation.

I raised a brow and looked at my coach, "So you can push me to my limits like now?"

"That, I won't deny." Coach laughs, "Just wanna let you know, as long as it's for a good reason, you can come up to me and ask me for anything school-related."

"Hmm... anything? Like... Hey, coach. I don't wanna go to school today."

"Pfft, anything but with a reason like that." Coach patted me on the shoulder, "We have training every day at 5 am sharp. I'll see you tomorrow."

And just like that, he left me alone sitting on the bench.

There were still a few athletes like me using the track though. They looked like regular students who appeared interested in joining the team. If the memories forced into my head were correct...I know the tryouts are near.

They sure are energetic.

Since this was an open field surrounded by trees, it gets windy and relaxing once you sit in place, not doing anything. It was so silent around me that the only thing sounding in the background was the remaining students running around the field, the guys playing soccer in the nearby field, and a few students who came to cheer those guys on the bleachers.

"Hey, psst!"

Unexpectedly, a voice called out from my left, prompting me to turn toward it. There, seated on the other bench beside me, was my teammate, their face oddly familiar due to the vivid memories etched into my mind.

Looking at this girl's face, one name only popped up into my head.

Ryujin.

She's a pretty friend of the Kim Minjeong in this world, though their friendship is one of those rare bonds where words aren't needed to understand each other deeply. They get along really well even if they haven't talked to each other in months.

If I wasn't the author of this world, then maybe I would've believed it if someone told me she was one of the characters appearing in this story.

But she wasn't.

Like me, she's also a background character.

"Minjeong, I've noticed something weird going on with you today." Ryujin smiled playfully as she moved over to sit beside me, "Did something happen? You don't look like your usual gloomy, invisible, boring self." she squinted her eyes as if she were studying something on my face. "In fact, you kinda look like a handsome oppa today!"

Ah, two people called me handsome today.

Hmmm... that's good too. I don't mind being associated with masculine traits anyway.

I didn't want to keep mirroring the behavior of the Kim Minjeong in this world, so I'm going to lie my way through anyone she was acquainted with.

"Ryujin, I've realized a lot of things while we were on vacation."

"Ohhhh~?"

"I can't be gloomy all my life... so I figured I might as well try to be more lively."

Ryujin nods, humming, "I have one question."

"What's up?"

"Why the hell did you suddenly make yourself look like... a dork? Well, you don't look bad. I just find it weird. It's like you're trying to hide that face of yours! Come on, that's so not you!"

Damn... if only I could tell her that this world was based on the webtoon I made.

Our talk went on for at least ten minutes. Thanks to her, I got to hear a lot of hints about how the Kim Minjeong in this world behaves and what she was like. The way Ryujin described me—her, was very positive.

In simple words, I was a quiet, ambitious, caring, and kind friend.

Somehow similar to Jimin but without the perfect and confident traits.

When it was time for us to go home since it was getting dark, I wore my towel around my neck and grabbed my things. The exit was beyond the soccer field, which was good since I got to see how the two main characters were doing.

Thus, as soon as I and Ryujin were passing by the field, I could see Aeri cheering for Junwoo on the bleachers in the distance

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter