Chapter 9: Rendezvous

Hello, Bae
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At some point, Irene’s crucial promise of doing her best to Amelia’s play became Wendy’s main reason for getting close to her. Her visits to Irene’s classrooms became somewhat regular, Amelia partaking in the idea to root inside Wendy’s brain.

 

Amelia’s face brightened with a new idea. The unknown idea dreading Irene’s gut feeling already. “The co-stars should get used to each other before the start of the rehearsals,” she expressed, eyes twinkling and hands grasping on each other. “Let’s see... you guys both have archery practice, and both of us-” she pointed on her and Jennie- “also have our club. Why don’t the four of us meet up on Sunday? And the rest would have to be both of you just hanging out during your free time.”

 

Wendy and Jennie both nodded with the suggestion. Amelia looked up with expectation in her eyes toward Irene, which made Irene agree with the majority votes. Not that she’d have that much of a refute to Lia’s plan anyway.

 

Back to Wendy’s beaming face as she waited for Irene’s last class. The Sunday plan was yet to be done. Despite that fact, Wendy had been frequently visiting her, using the same excuse as they needed to get closer for the play.

 

Wendy’s flirtatious attempts had toned down during those days, yet habits don’t die hard. Irene had been aware of how Wendy had been chatting up with some voluptuous girl with rusty-colored hair who looked so similar to a hooker with how tight her top and bottom wear were. They were squeezing her body so firm that a corset would be nothing to compare to it.

 

Where did the dress code go with this girl?!

 

Wendy seemed to like what she’s seeing though, with how her laughter seemed to echo irritatingly to Irene’s ear. The laughter subdued when the blonde noticed Irene’s presence.

 

Honestly, Irene should be getting used to Wendy’s magnifying aura that anyone would stick to her like parasites hungry to eat the host alive.

 

The rusty-haired girl twirled her hair as she tapped for Wendy’s attention. “So, how about we meet up this Saturday?” she asked with the slow fluttering of her long fake eyelashes, her voice dripping with a suggestive tone on what they would be doing on Saturday. Not that Irene cared about whatever Wendy would do during her free time.

 

Wendy decided to give the girl a small smile. “Sorry Chloe, I already made plans with this lovely lady,” she responded, giving Irene a side hug.

 

Chloe gave Irene an annoyed look of a hooker not getting her target prey. “Ah, so you’re still playing with her,” she deadpanned, hand on her hip. Her eyes flickered to disregard Irene’s presence. “Do call me when you’re done with her. I’d do much better than little missy with all bones.” She formed her hand with a call sign, batting her eyelashes flirtatiously until one of them slipped off.

 

Irene wasn’t able to hide her snicker with what just suddenly happened, Wendy’s squeezing of her shoulders reminded her of the rusty-haired girl beside them, fuming intensely with how her nostrils flared immensely.

 

Chloe’s humiliation was plastered all over her face. Some people in the area who were able to see it laughed through their sleeves, a few already getting their phones for receipts. It wasn’t Irene’s fault per se, that Chloe’s fake lashes fell off. Yet her anger had been directed towards Irene’s snickering only.

 

“Laugh all you want, you’re nothing but a skinny ,” Chloe hissed, voice venomous. “A ing skinny —” Her face contorted with anger, hand throwing up the air, about to strike Irene.

 

Wendy stopped it in due time, gripping Chloe’s wrist firmly. “Don’t insult and ever throw your hands at her,” she furiously growled. “I’ve put up with your bull Chloe, but you’re not my type so stop pestering me, and don’t you ever lay your hands on what’s mine!” She dropped Chloe’s hand. She gripped so tight that it formed a red band on Chloe’s wrist.

 

Flickers of camera light pointing at Chloe made her unable to retort with all the attention on her, she scurried off with a stumble and a defeated look, her watery eyes transparent for everyone to prey later on social media.

 

Talk about the reckoning of cancel culture that even the grandma Irene with inept technology knowledge knew of. The generation this day was truly frightening. Chloe’s a total biatch, but even the girl could do some character development, not a total wipeout and destroyed mentality.

 

Wait! What did Wendy say again? Pages of flickers on what recently occurred flipped in Irene’s mind.

 

“...don’t you ever lay your hands on what’s mine!”

 

The nerve of Wendy owning her! Wait— if you thought about it carefully... Wendy merely did and said that to protect Irene... as friends of course. Yeah, that must be it. And nothing more or less...

 

A gentle shake from Irene’s body made her back on earth. Wendy with a worried expression met with her eyes. “Are you hurt anywhere?” Her eyes thoroughly scanned Irene for any possible pain.

 

Irene couldn’t help a soft giggle coming out from . She couldn’t believe Wendy asking her if she was fine when she caught Chloe’s hand before they struck her cheek. She might be smaller than that Chloe, but her grip strength was someone who had taken her time with archery practice more seriously.

 

“Did your mentality get damaged after Chloe almost hit you?” Wendy jested, her left eyebrow quirking up.

 

“No, you dummy,” Irene playfully slapped Wendy’s shoulder. “I’m perfectly fine. Obviously. And thank you for saving me out there.”

 

“I’ll always be one call away when it comes to you, Bae.” Wendy winked flirtatiously. Her hand offered Irene to start walking as her eyes pointed to the people surrounding the unexpected occurrence happening a while ago.

 

Irene didn’t accept the offer but started to walk with a roll of her eyes. “Ugh, I thought that’s over already,” she responded with Wendy’s attempt at flirting again.

 

“It just slipped. I couldn’t help it when I’m with you,” Wendy responded, her fingertips brushing Irene’s own.

 

A simple graze made Irene’s hand electrocuted with something she couldn’t name of. Perhaps, it was just the friction of their accidental touches as they walked side by side.

 

“I... honestly wasn’t expecting your outburst with one of your- “Irene stopped from opening, remembering her past mistake- “with Chloe. I thought you guys were on good terms.”

 

“Nah, I’ve been turning her down since last year,” Wendy denied with a slight disgust on her face.

 

Irene’s ears perked up with Wendy’s unexpected response. “You do? Then why do you entertain her in the first place?” she tried asking nonchalantly, eyes looking straight towards the right lane where the elevator was located.

 

“You’re cute when you’re jealous.” Wendy looked genuinely amused as she tilted her head towards Irene.

 

Irene crossed her arms, unable to withstand the electric current from Wendy’s hand brushing on her own. “I’m not jealous. Just curious.” She turned to observe at Wendy’s still amused look. “You’re giving them false hope.”

 

“As I’ve mentioned, I do try to turn them down. At most, in the least hurtful manner,” Wendy explained, clicking on the down button of the elevator.

 

They both entered together on the opposite side when the elevator opened up with three people on the other side. “You were laughing with her,” Irene deadpanned, not buying on Wendy’s explanation.

 

“You. Are. Jealous.” Wendy quirked her eyebrows, scooting over the edge when two people entered from the seventh floor.

 

“No, I’m not. I have eyes and ears. I’ll notice it. I just... wasn’t expecting you to defend me when I laughed at her. It was my fault, to begin with,” Irene said, scooting a little closer beside Wendy when a newcomer entered from the sixth floor.

 

“It wasn’t your fault. It was hers when she didn’t even apply her fake lashes properly and yet dared to lay her hand on you when you’ve done nothing about it,” Wendy replied in a hushed tone, lips an inch closer to Irene’s ear.

 

“I laughed at her.” Irene abruptly turned, almost colliding with Wendy’s head, only brushing their noses. She scooted an inch away.

 

Wendy grabbed Irene’s arm when she’s about to bump into someone. “And so? Anyone who saw it laughed. Even I was trying to contain my laughter,” she reasoned out, loosening her grip. “It wasn’t your fault, okay?” She faintly squeezed Irene’s shoulder for reassurance.

 

The fourth floor stopped with someone entering again. “Why don’t we go to an arcade for today? Release all our bottled anger instead of slapping someone innocent,” Wendy whispered to Irene a bit playfully at t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter