Chapter 4: Mistake

Hello, Bae
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where are we going, Son?” Irene’s eyes wandered to the surroundings. There were trees everywhere and the road seemed secluded. “If you’re planning to kill me here, you shouldn’t have shown your face to my mom. You’ll be the first suspect.”

 

Wendy’s laughter echoed in the expanse of the car. “Your humor is quite fascinating to me, Bae. It that you trying to appeal to me?”

 

Irene rolled her eyes, looking outside the windows to the evergreens.

 

“I’m asking for your approval. I remembered you saying of your liking when it comes to nature and mentioned you want to try out camping. But, surprising you with the idea might rub off on your bad side. So, we’re going to the area firsthand. Check it out if you like it, and I’ll book us a reservation during our free time,” Wendy said, eyes focused on the road.

 

This itself was surprising for Irene. Wendy thought of her own choice — her own opinion on the matter — with her interest of camping on the line. She wasn’t expecting this treatment. She thought Wendy would’ve pulled her in some fancy restaurant and paid a hefty amount of bill.

 

“And what makes you think I’ll say yes?” Irene’s eyebrows quirk upwards.

 

Wendy smugly looked at her briefly. “You’ll see.”

 

Their destination came to a halt with a wooden place in the middle of nowhere. At least that’s what Irene thought, since she had no idea where they were and also add the fact that she’s bad when it came to directions. Hence, the reason of her not owning her own car.

 

“Wendy, my dear friend!” A tall guy with a curly ginger hair greeted Wendy with an engulfing hug. Even in the middle of nowhere, Wendy’s still popular. “Here to make a reservation again?”

 

Again? Was Wendy a regular here? Did she always bring her new girl or guy to camp out here and commit some tomfoolery in the middle of the night? Was that the reason why Wendy’s bringing her here? And Irene thought Wendy remembered and took note of her interest. Of course, who was she kidding, when the one she’s talking was the popular Wendy Son.

 

“Not yet, Ron,” Wendy replied. “I’m actually here with a friend, and she’s a nature buddy who wanted to experience camping.”

 

The guy named Aaron nodded, taking account of Irene’s presence before showing his hand. “Pardon my lack of respect to Wendy’s friend. I’m Aaron, the future owner of this camping site.”

 

Irene shook his hand, giving him a polite smile. “Irene.”

 

“Do you want to check out the pamphlet first, or do you want to check out the campsite?”

 

“Can we go to the campsite now?” Irene inquisitively asked with eagerness in her voice. Might as well dove in the greatness of nature since she’s already here. Camping may not be possible, but the trees looked absolutely fascinating.

 

Aaron laughed with her eagerness. “I like your enthusiasm, Irene.”

 

Wendy clung to her side, following with each of her steps as they followed Aaron. “It’s great, isn’t it?”

 

Irene nodded in approval.

 

Wendy looked at the surroundings with a smile. “Me and my parents used to camp out a lot when I was younger, that’s why I’ve known Aaron since I was young. His dad used to greet my father before, and now, it’s Aaron who’s greeting me every time I come here.”

 

Irene’s eyes took a scan on Wendy’s reminiscing face. It’s similar to the expression she had on during that party, a look of longing and warmness as she talked about her past. Her face would shine brighter than the sunshine as she mentioned her mother and father.

 

“You seemed like a regular,” Irene stated with nonchalance.

 

“I am. Always had been after knowing this place.” Wendy smiled affectionately at Irene.

 

“What number am I?” Irene probed, eyes judging.

 

Wendy looked puzzled at her question, making Irene ask it again with more detail. “The number of girls or guys you’ve been here?”

 

The brightness on Wendy’s face seemed to dimmed at her inquiry. “You’re the first one, Irene.”

 

Wendy looked hurt with her accusation. “This place had always been a special place with my family. I’ve never even brought out my friends here. Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter