chapter t h r e e

My Friend, My Love, My Angel

Jonghyun looked outside like he always used to do... he didn't spoke to Key, just because the boy next to him was sleeping so peacefully.
The blond sighed as he enjoyed the moment of peace while looking outside. He turned his head to look at Key, realizing that the weeks passed by real quick.

Just when he was about to sleep too, the doctor opened the door and closed it after he entered.
He walked to Key, carefully waking him up.
"Hmm... five more minutes...", the boy mumbled. "I'll wake up within five minutes... I swear...", he mumbled again, but this time more lazily.
"Kibum-ssi, you have to come with me for a second. We're going to see how many time you still have to live", the doctor explained.

The boy immediately opened his eyes, looking at the doctor. He was afraid... afraid that his life was shortened. But he was also eager... eager to hear that he's going to live for a little longer.
"OK", Kibum said. He glanced at Jonghyun, who was smiling a 'Good luck' smile to him.
Kibum waved at him before the doctor helped him to sit in a wheelchair.

When Kibum left the room, Jonghyun's smiling face turned into a serious and worried face.
He didn't wanted to hear that his best friend's life was shortened. He wanted to hear that his life would be prolonged.

Please, let him live a little bit longer...

Meanwhile, the doctor and Kibum arrived in a special room with other doctors. Were they specialists?
"Nice to meet you, Kim Kibum-ssi. My name is Choi Minho, and these are---"
"Hello!~ I'm Lee Taemin", Taemin interrupted Minho's introduction.
"Lee Jinki, but preferred to be called Onew", he politely said, bowing a 90 degrees bow.
"A-ah, nice to meet you too", Kibum replied, smiling an awkward smile.
"These are specialists. Firstly, Choi Minho. He's a lung specialist. He's going to check your breathing, do a scan of them and blabla. Then we have Lee Taemin, brain specialist, and then Lee Jinki, or Onew, heart specialist", the doctor explained. "Please treat him well", he said, looking at the three doctors.
"We will", the three doctors in front of them said in unison.
With that, the other doctor left, leaving Kibum with the other three.

"Let's check your breathing first, shall we?", Minho said as he approached Kibum with a stethoscope.
«I hope this ends soon...», Kibum thought by himself. This is going to take a looooong time.

Jjong...

Jonghyun widened his eyes when he suddenly heard his nickname Kibum gave him.
He blinked when his eyes became dry and looked around the room. Did Kibum really thought about him while he was getting examined?
He sighed. He was getting impatient. He wanted Kibum to return as soon as possible. He wanted to see his face again. He wanted to see his smile again. He wanted to hear his laugh again.
He frigging missed Kibum so much at the moment.

Key...

~~ Past two hours ~~

"There we go", the doctor whispered to Kibum. He succeeded to carefully put the boy on the bed, covering his body with the blankets.
"Thanks", Kibum replied, forcing a smile. The doctor forced a smile back, leaving the room together with the wheelchair.

"Hmm...", Jonghyun groaned, slowly opening his eyes. "What time is it..."
"Time for you to wake up", Kibum said with a very gentle and soft voice, followed with by an angelic smile.

Jonghyun was wide awake when he heard his voice.
"Key! How was your... test?", he asked, half eager half worried, hoping he would live a little longer, but the smile faded away when the blond asked that question.

Key... don't tell me your life is shortened... please...

"I'm sorry, Jjong", Kibum said lowly, slowly hugging himself. "They said I still have four months to live... they don't know why or how. But I... don't... d-don't..."
Jonghyun just stared at him, not believing what he just heard. Thousand of questions started running through his mind. How the hell did it happen that his life shortened? Is there a way to make him live longer? Is there a way to prevent his disease?

"Jjongie...", Kibum said, glancing quickly at the blond, unable to look at him directly in the eyes as he quickly turned his head to avoid any more eye contact. "I... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry..."
"It's not your fault", was the only thing Jonghyun said, turning his head away, looking outside for the millionth time in his whole life. He would never grow tired of it.

"Can you do me a favour?", Kibum asked, his voice suddenly trembling.
The blond turned his head back to Kibum, finally able to have a long eye contact.

"Even though it might be impossible at this distance... I want to spend these last four months as lovers"