chapter o n e

My Friend, My Love, My Angel

"So, Mr. Kim, how are you feeling nowadays?", a blondhaired girl said, holding some pieces of paper against her chest. "Anything strange?"
"Same as always", Jonghyun replied weakly. Every single day they asked the same, it was like a daily routine. He understands why; They were concerned about him because he has leukemia, but it was starting to get kinda annoying.
"I see. Then, call me when you need something, alright?", the girl smiled as she exited the room.

"Hmmhmmhmm...", the boy hummed to himself. Even though he never talked much to anyone except the nurses or doctors who visited him, his voice was smooth and gentle. He always had a passion for singing, and just because of his disease he wasn't going  to stop humming and singing.

Every single day was the same. It was boring, quiet, calm... nothing thrilling or whatsoever.
A nurse or doctor would come to him, ask how he felt, then left. After a few hours, they come and serve him his food, then leave again. Then they come again and serve his other food, taking the previous plate where the food was on away. Then comes dinner, and then it was nap time.

Three months passed away quickly, but those three months felt like another three years.
The blond boy felt lonely. He never really had a conversation anymore with anyone for three years and a few months.
Just when he kept thinking about his loneliness, a nurse came walking into his room.
"So, Mr. Kim, how are you feeling nowadays?", she asked. Her voice kind of started to annoy him. It was always the same question with the same tone.
"Lonely", he replied without looking at her. "I'm so lonely... I hate it"
"I see... then, want a companion?", she asked. Jonghyun immediately looked at her when she asked him that.
"I-is that p-possible?", he stuttered. His hopes went up fast, really fast.
"Of course", she chuckled. "I'll see who can be your companion, expect someone by tomorrow then"

«I wonder if it's going to be a boy or a girl. He or she would be my first friend... right? We will be best friends... right? We might fall in love too... right?»

A tear rolled over his cheek just by the thought of it. To be honest, he never experienced love.Only family love, but not that kind of love.
He was afraid. Afraid to be rejected. Afraid to be hated later. Afraid to be never able to see his special someone again... because the death separates everybody from each other... or that's what he thought.

The next day, Jonghyun was awake early. He slept at around 11pm, but woke up at 6am. He didn't mind waking up that early though; he did what he always loved to do: humming and singing.
Another thing he loved to do was thinking. He loved to think about the amazing things he might encounter in the future.

Yes, something amazing...

"Jonghyun-ssi?", someone knocked on the door of Jonghyun's room. A doctor slowly opened the door, looking at the blond boy who was looking blankly back.
"We have a companion for you", the doctor smiled. "This is Kim Kibum, please enter"

A boy with brown, hair swept to the right, as if it had some kind of 'wind effect', black eyes which were feline shaped, high cheekbones, beautiful pink lips... he resembled the ang---

"Hello. My name is Kim Kibum. Hope we can get along", the boy said with a smile.
"My name's Kim Jonghyun. And yes, same here", he replied with a kind of awkward smile.

The doctor guided Kibum to his bed, which was next to Jonghyun's. After a short conversation, the doctor left the room.
The blond glanced at the brunette next to him. Kibum noticed and started to smile again.

"So, what brings you here?", he asked, sounding as if he was healthy, not like he had a disease or something...
"I have leukemia", Jonghyun replied, kind of biting his bottom lip.
"I see... and what are your hobbies?"
"Singing and humming... thinking... and dreaming"
"Fears?"
"To die without accomplishing my biggest dream"
"And what is your biggest dream?"
"To meet my special someone, to love that someone with all my heart... and when the day comes I have to go, I want to die within the person's arms. That's the only way to die in peace for me"

Kibum nodded. He found Jonghyun's biggest dream kinda cute, but also kinda... sad.
To die within the arms of his special someone... would be sad. His lover would see him dying right in front of him or her...

"What about you? What brings you here?", the blond asked.
"I have an unknown disease", Kibum replied with a sad smile. "They say that I still have one year to live, or if I'm lucky, one year and one month"
Jonghyun swallowed. That sure was kinda.... harsh and difficult. However, knowing how much time you have to live is better than not knowing.
"Hobbies?"
"Cooking, singing and humming, dancing and to write"
"Fears?"
"To die without being able to experience love once", he said, looking away, biting his bottom lip.
Jonghyun nodded. He knew exactly how the boy felt. Maybe becoming friends with him wasn't going to be so difficult after all...

He had a goal in his life... another goal: Give Kibum the best one-year-and-maybe-one-month the best one-year-and-maybe-one-month of his whole life.