Daehyun: Chapter 6

The Way They Shine

 

You fidget a little, fighting between what little pride you have left and the hunger you're feeling, and ask, "What's on the menu?"
 
You're rewarded with a slow, gorgeous smile that spreads across Daehyun's face. "Come in," he invites you, and pulls open the door wider. You step inside and briskly walk past him, stopping in the middle of the room just as the front door closes shut behind you.
 
Besides the fact that the layout of the house is exactly the same as yours, Daehyun's home is distinctly different. His kitchen, for one thing, is a lot more lived in: a lonely magnet sticks onto the refrigerator door as an empty trash can bin idly stands beside the counter. A large pot simmers on top of the stove, and a small container filled with ladles decorates one corner. Daehyun steps forward and goes into the living room, prodding you to join him. In here, a square table sits in the middle of the room as two chairs - one black and one brown - sit on opposite sides. In the corner is another table and chair, this one with a disarray of papers and pencils. A large drawer fills up one corner, and on top of that a lonely radio sits quietly playing its music. 
 
"Stay right here," he orders, and so you choose to take a seat in one of the chairs after setting the blanket down on the floor. The room still looks pretty empty, but it's a lot more comfortable compared to your own. In a few minutes, Daehyun returns with two bowls in either hand. He sets it down on the table, and by the smoke that rises from it you can tell that what he's serving you is recently cooked ramen. "This is all I have," he says, ducking his head a little in embarrassment. You don't really mind; you're too hungry to care about what you eat, anyway, and eating here with him will definitely save you some money. Not that this is going to become a regular thing. "You eat this, right? Everybody eats ramen."
 
"Sure," you answer vaguely. After a few seconds you speak up, "Thanks. Uh, for this," you say, looking down at your food. 
 
"Yeah," he says, and starts to eat. You follow suit, and you pass a few minutes in silence as you easily eat together. The noodles are hot, so you blow on them to get them to the right temperature before you taste them. They are good - aren't they always good? - and you hurriedly dig in, not realizing how hungry you had been. Soon, you finish your share of the food, and you lean back, surprised at having eaten so quickly. Daehyun notices this and stares at you. "Do you ... want more?"
 
"Oh, no," you shake your head, even though you wouldn't mind having an extra portion. You don't want to be a burden to him, and frankly he's done a lot for you already. Insisting on getting more food would just be tactless. He doesn't believe your weak denial, though, so you decide to change the subject by asking, "Can I have some water?"
 
"Yeah," he says, and immediately retreats to the kitchen. He comes back with a glass of water, and sets it down on the table. You drink it to assure him that you are, in fact, finished, and satisfied with what he sees, he returns to completing his own food. "You know I still have extra?"
 
"It's fine," you reply. "It's not like you were expecting me or anything. I doubt you actually have more than you wanted." You smile to lighten the mood. "But thanks."
 
He merely shrugs and leaves you just sitting there awkwardly. You don't know what to do with yourself - it's your first time here, and you're not so familiar with him that you can get up and do whatever you want - so you idly sit still, hoping that he will finish his food soon. 
 
In an attempt to start a friendly conversation, you say, "Thanks again for uh, inviting me."
 
He looks up at you, amusement in his eyes. "Do you not get invited a lot or something?"
 
You blink. "What do you mean?"
 
"You keep saying thanks," he replies. "It makes it sound like you've never been offered help before. Not that I mind," he hurriedly adds, "all the thanks you're giving me." You refuse to tell him that you haven't ever been warmly invited like this and decide to stay quiet. He seems to notice your sudden reclusion and asks, "Have you really never ... ?"
 
"Um, I have to go home," you say, standing up abruptly. He just stares at you as you gather the blanket and hug it to your chest. "Tha - " you're about to say, then catch yourself. "I have to ... um ... "
 
"Do homework?" he asks you. You nod, even though you know you've done it already. He stands up and says, "Wait here," before going into the kitchen. You follow him and watch as he grabs a pen and paper and starts furiously writing things down. After reviewing it, he gives it to you. "These," he says, "Are some things that you should know to get yourself familiar with the place." You take the note and stare at the information he's jotted down. He reaches over to open the door for you, and you are instantly greeted with a gust of cold wind. You have just braced yourself against the temperature when Daehyun speaks up one last time. "You think you're gonna explain to me, ever, why I can't tell anybody you live here?"
 
You pause and turn around. "I ... "
 
"If it's about your friends," he says, leaning against the door frame with a nonchalance you envy, "then, they're not really your friends if you're afraid they'll dislike you for living in an area like this." He lets the words hang in the air, making sure he achieves the full effect he had been searching for, before adding, "It's not my business, anyway," he sighs. "But you'll really ... you'll like it here, I think. You'll be surprised."
 
You give him a small smile and step out onto his front porch. After saying your goodbye, you start to walk towards your own home and contemplate, I've already been surprised.