Daehyun: Chapter 22

The Way They Shine

 

He looks disoriented all of a sudden, and you wonder whether your sudden outburst had been the right thing to do. His taking his time to reply is making you feel unsure of yourself, and you're starting to regret the appearance of your bold spirit.

He clears his throat and quietly asks, "Why would you ask me that?"

You might as well answer his question. It's not like you can take back what you've said. "Because I don't ... because I'm not ... I mean, you were new. And you were nice to me. Just like that. I didn't do anything. I was even rude to you, and you ... you still ... you were there. For me. I just ... is it out of pity?" You look up at him, searching those concerned eyes for answers. "Is that it? Is that why you're so nice? It's because you pity me, right?"

His expressions become incomprehensible, and he calmly asks, "Why would you think I'd pity you?"

"Because I'm nobody," you reply with a tone more bitter than you had anticipated. "I was ... you know. I was somebody, at one point. And I'll get it if people are nice to me when I can do something for them, something that can make them ... that can give them a better status, or whatever. But I wasn't that when I met you; not anymore. And yet you still ... " Jungwook's words repeat in your head, like a recording of an old song that holds reminders and bitter memories. You finish, "I wasn't anybody. I'm still not anybody. So I just ... why ... are you so nice to me?"

"Haven't you noticed?" He asks you, smiling slightly. "I'm not really anybody, either."

You quiet at this and slowly shake your head. "I'm sorry. That's not what I meant. I didn't mean - "

"I know what you meant," he interrupts. "But ... why ask me this all of a sudden?" You don't reply, but you can tell by the way his eyes darken that he's assuming the right thing. "Is it Jungwook? If he's being rude to you ... "

Vaguely, it occurs to you that you had never been aware that Daehyun knew Jungwook's name. You suppose it goes to show how little time you've been spending with Daehyun, compared to all those things you used to do together in the past. 

"He's not ... rude. If anything ... he made me see something. You know?" You take a deep breath and say, "I just want to know, now. That's why it's 'now'; because I didn't realize it before. Daehyun." Maybe your voice sounds pleading, but you don't care. "Daehyun. I ... what is it, then? Do you really ... pity me?"

He doesn't answer right away, and you get the feeling that Jungwook is right. Daehyun really does pity you. All this time, he had been so cordial because he had sympathized. It hurts your ego, but more than that, it hurts your heart.

But instead of confirming your speculations, he ducks his head in that adorable way which causes his hair to shadow his eyes. He's thinking. He's thinking, and you should be mad, or worried, or exasperated, but all you can think about is how cute he looks. It's completely distracting.

Finally, he looks up. His eyes are clearer, but there's a sense of disbelief in them. "I don't pity you." He looks away before continuing, "but I don't think ... I'm being nice to you for all the right reasons, either." You wait for him as he stares at the ground. "You know, I'm not ... that nice. Really. I'm not. People say that, but ... I'm actually a pretty selfish guy. I mean, being nice to you ... that's cause I wanted you to be happy. And I wanted you to smile. But ... there was another reason, too. And it's ... a selfish reason." He takes a deep breath, and with a subdued voice, he says, "I did all that - protecting you, being nice to you, giving you things you didn't want - because I didn't want you to leave. I wanted you to stay. With me."

You feel the walls you've created for yourself start to weaken at his sweet words. You want to do everything just then. Hold him. Thank him. Anything. But you stand still, waiting for him to continue, trying to keep your emotions in check.

"Why would I do that?" He asks out loud, voicing the question that's entered your mind. Daehyun smiles wistfully, as if he's recalling a joke you've shared together. "You wanna know something? I've been trying to not make it obvious, and I think I've done a good job, but ... " he blushes suddenly, not facing you as he tries to regain his composure. After calming himself, he looks you straight in the eye without any qualms and states clearly, "I like you." He goes on, "I really, really like you. And I hope you never think that I pity you, ever again. Because all those things I did ... it was because I like you."

You're flustered, and your embarrassment at his confession probably shows on your face. His eyes are twinkling with sincerity, and you feel guilty, for having assumed the worst of him, and happy, because he had returned your feelings without your having even to ask him. 

"You could say something, you know?" He points out nervously. You smile then, which makes him grin instantly. He his head and comments, "It's been a while since I saw you smile like that. Then that means you like me too, right?" He says excitedly, like an over-eager child. He takes a step closer, and with a low voice that sends shivers down your spine, he whispers, "Can I ask you something?"

"What?" You whisper back as he leans in, his face near yours.

He smiles. "Can I kiss you?"

You give a tiny nod, and Daehyun carefully leans in and plants a kiss on your mouth. His lips are soft and sweet. He doesn't push you, or prod you to do more than you want. He simply kisses you, deeply and meticulously, before he leans his forehead against yours, his breath tickling your face. 

He smiles then, and as you smile back, he grabs your hand and holds it in the safety and warmth of his palm.