Daehyun: Chapter 5, Keep It Under Wraps

The Way They Shine

 

You stare at Daehyun as he pushes open his door and proceeds to go inside. So many questions are swirling in your mind right now, but there's only one you're focusing on: he has the ability to worsen your reputation.

"Wait!" you burst out, and jog up to his doorstep. He stops and watches you gather the courage to ask him a shameless question. "Can you ... " you look away apprehensively and finish, "keep this a secret?"

He blinks at you. "Keep what a secret?"

You blush at having to repeat yourself. "This," you say vaguely. "That I ... live here." Suddenly you realize what you had just done: inadvertently stated that living here is a horrible idea. "I don't mean that ... I mean, it's just ... I'm not saying the housing ," you add quickly, even though you think it does, "but I ... I just moved here, and I ... " How can you explain this to him? Because he just moved into  your school, he might not even know about your father's predicament. You want to tell him why living in a place like this and having your friends find out about it would be embarrassing, but you can't seem to get the words out. It feels like, if you say it out loud, you'll be degrading the life Daehyun knows, and you're not that insensitive to go ahead and do that. 

He seems to understand, though, but his eyes hold a touch of bitterness when he replies, "You don't want me to say you live here, you mean?" You nod. "That's fine. I could care less where you live." He's about to go inside his house when he continues, "You know, you might be surprised. You might come to like this place." After staring at you for a bit, he goes inside his home and quietly shuts the door behind him.

Breathing a sigh of relief, you enter your own house and warily throw your backpack on the floor. You could do homework, but ... you want to take a shower. And, frankly, you don't even want to go to the bathroom - who knows how dirty it could be?

Cautiously, you venture into the restroom and push open the door. You glare at the off-white walls and brown tiles. It's not as bad as you had expected - actually, it's cleaner than what you had anticipated - but this is nothing compared to your home, and it's beautiful, marble sinks and granite counters.

Not that you should, you know, think about that, since home obviously isn't 'home' anymore.

Still, you can't bring yourself to shower in an environment like this. You want to clean it, but you don't have the resources to buy some supplies. There could be things in the cupboard, you realize. You check to make sure, but you only find an extra roll of toilet paper and a plunger, things you totally don't need.

Should you ask Daehyun if he has anything you can borrow? Just the thought is enough to make you embarrassed again. You've never had to resort to asking anybody for things before. This would be something different. But in order to survive ... well, losing your pride one bit at a time seems like nothing compared to the need of having a hot shower.

You leave your house and are about to visit Daehyun when there, on your front step, is a basket filled with a a roll of paper towels, cleaning liquids, and a blanket. You stare at them curiously before noticing the note that's been taped to the basket. Taking it off, you read: "Housewarming Gift. I figure you'd need this. Daehyun." You make a face, even though you're secretly glad at his cordiality, and go back to your room. At least you could get some things done tonight.

You immediately set to work cleaning the bathroom, and any other grimy spots in the house that you can find. It's a tiring, debilitating process, but once you're done, you're greatly rewarded with the now spotless walls and clean floors. Satisfied, you proceed to take a shower and, after getting changed, start to do your homework. Just as you finish, however, your stomach grumbles in hunger. 

You scramble to grab some of your money and decide that, tonight, you'd stop being so meager with your cash and go out for a simple, cheap dinner. You put everything back in the basket Daehyun had given you - paper towels, cleaning things and even the blanket, which you don't want to accept - and step out of your house, making sure that the key is with you this time. You'll eat dinner ... but only after you give these things back to Daehyun. 

You knock on his door, and for a moment there's no reply. You're about to leave it on his doorstep when the door creaks open. Daehyun sticks his head out as he looks at you, surprised.

"What?" he asks. 

"I, uh," you hold up the basket, "wanted to return this." He stares at the basket and makes no move to take it from you. Uncomfortable, you fidget at his lack of reaction.

"Gifts aren't supposed to be returned," he states. "You don't want it? Not even the blanket? It gets cold in these houses sometimes, you know. The dry wall isn't that thick."

"Well, I - "

"Just take the blanket at least," he says, and takes the blanket out of the basket and hands it to you.  You're about to say your thanks and leave when, at the most inconvenient time, your stomach decides to grumble once more. You're so embarrassed, you can't even look him in the eye, but although you had expected Daehyun to laugh or maybe even comment about it, instead he simply asks you, "I'm eating dinner right now. You wanna join me?"