Daehyun: Chapter 1, From Riches to Rags

The Way They Shine

 

You’ve lost everything, and school hadn’t even started yet. 

Well, the definition of everything is relative, but whatever it is you’ve lost, it sure feels like everything.

Today, the day before school, you had found out that your dad had used the funds he had received from his position as vice president of a huge company for his personal problems. In doing so, he had stolen what wasn’t his and thus set-off the company’s downfall to bankruptcy. Now that he and the company are in the same boat - they both have a huge debt - your father has lost his job from a company that is facing imminent destruction. Which really, really , because you go to a private school where the sons and daughters of swanky rich men attend. It’s expensive. Only those who have money to spare or those who have received full scholarships can attend it. It’s the best school in the area, and you had been one of the most popular girls in your class due to your father’s reputation. That is, until they find out that he’s lost his job, defiled himself, and his company.

There are going to be numerous rumors swirling around in school tomorrow. You don’t want to go. You absolutely don’t want to go.

They’ll ask you questions you don’t even know the answer to. Why had your father stolen so much money from the company? ‘I don’t know’ is what you’ll say, but in reality, you know. It’s because your dad likes to gamble. You knew that, and yet you didn’t stop him, because you had thought that maybe he’d have the will to stop himself.

But you guess you had been wrong.

But where would you go now? Tomorrow, you won’t be the top girl at your school anymore. Everyone will know of your father’s shameful state. Will you lose your home? No way. He won’t plan on selling this estate, will he? You live in a freaking … mansion. It’s huge. It’s gorgeous. And it’s, well, expensive, like everything else in your house. Your clothes. The furniture. Where would all that go? And what would everybody say?

You know that everybody in school only likes talking to you because of who your dad is - or was, rather - but isn’t there at least one person who will stay by your side despite that? Or had you been too shallow? Had you been living in a dream and refused to acknowledge that one day, you’d have to wake up to reality?

A dream. That’s what the past feels like, and you hadn’t even stepped onto the school grounds yet.

You walk home in a tizzy, not really paying attention to your surroundings. You, walking home. You haven’t done that in a while. Usually your dad would have one his assistants pick you up from wherever it is you’ve gone. Well, your dad doesn’t care about you. He only cares about his money. 

But without an income, what’s he planning to do?

He hadn’t even told you himself about his situation. You’d heard it by watching the news in one of the stores you had been shopping in. There, on that large, flat screen TV, a news reporter had informed the general audience that one of the leading companies in its area had just declared bankruptcy. You had rushed home … and here you are now, keys in hand, staring at a note that’s placed haphazardly on your white front door.

You reach over and rip it off as a dreadful feeling begins to take over.  You slowly read the words, feeling your head spin from more than just shock. You feel confusion, then fear, then anger. It’s a note from your dad.

“I lost my job,” you read. “You’ve probably heard it on the news. There are a few people after me who want me to pay back what I owe them, and unfortunately, I don’t have that money right now. I’ve sold the house.” What? No. That’s impossible. That’s -“I’ve sold all our things.” Our things? So, yours, included? Your brand name clothes? He … sold them? Without even asking you? “I’m sorry, but I’ve gone, and taken the money to pay back a little of what I owe them. In the mean time, I’ve gone to find a job somewhere where nobody knows who I am.There are still a few things left; take them before anyone comes. In the meantime, you’ll have to live here … ” below is written an address in a place you don’t recognize. “Please forgive me.” You stare at those empty words before ripping the paper in half and stuffing it into the pocket of your jeans. 

And so, with his insensitive words, your father had left you and allowed you to find the means to live by yourself. This surely counts as losing everything, right? You sigh and stare up at the too bright sky, frowning at the happily beaming sun; and school hadn’t even started yet.