Chapter 48

Three Smiles (cont.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Are you alright? You look a little pale today," Zico asked with concern. Hyori nodded feebly.

"Why are you wearing shades? It's not hot at all," he continued. When Hyori didn't answer, he knew something was wrong.

"Take off your shades, or I'll do it myself," he spoke sternly. Trembling, Hyori remove her shades to reveal her eyes, very puffy from crying. Tears threatened to spill again. Shocked, Zico quickly wrapped her into a bear hug and her hair.

"What's the matter, love? Please tell me, and I'm sorry for being so firm earlier," he apologised.

Hyori felt so guilty about kissing Chen. At the same time, she couldn't stop thinking about the kiss. How .. complete it felt. But what if this feeling was in the spur of the moment? What if she threw away everything good she has? What if karma bites back? 

"We can do this house hunting another day, okay? But I need you to tell me what's wrong," Zico pleaded. Hyori furiously shook her head.

"No, I want to do this. I need the distraction," she squeaked. "But how can I proceed with our day knowing that you're upset about something? Please tell me and then we'll move on, okay?" Zico compromised. 

Unable to keep her guilt any longer, Hyori opened up to Zico about everything that happened yesterday. His face was expressionless. Somewhere inside, he heard a crack in his heart.

"I'm sorry oppa, I didn't mean for it to happen," she sobbed. There was a long pause.

"Did you kiss him back?"

Hyori looked away and slowly nodded. Zico's heart shattered.

"Did it went further than a kiss?"

Hyori shook her head wildly. A tiny part of Zico felt relieved, because even they hadn't made love with each other. 

"Has it always been him?" 

Hyori was afraid to answer that. She realised it yesterday, but today, she wasn't sure. She didn't want to lose Zico.

The past 4+ years suddenly went through Zico's mind and landed on the day he asked her to be hers. He remembered Chen was "together" with Hana. A sudden realisation dawned on him.

"Did you say yes to being my girlfriend because you thought Chen was in a relationship with Hana?" There was an evident crack in his voice.

Hyori's heart shattered too because she knew Zico was hurting badly. She can't hide the truth from him. He doesn't deserve it.

She gave a tiny nod and Zico felt his legs weakening. "But I love you, oppa, the past 4 years were not a lie," she whispered.

"Because he stayed away from us. Look what happened yesterday when you were alone with him," Zico's voice was clipped and icy. He laughed bitterly. That bastard. Turns out he was just waiting.

Hyori kept silent.

"Mianhae, oppa, for hurting you. I know that you won't forgive me and I deserve that. I shouldn't have kissed him back," she cried. She tried to hug him but he gently stepped away.

"I need some time to think about us. But I promised you earlier that we will move on with the house hunting if you told me what happened. You kept your end, and now I will keep my end of the bargain too. But after that, I need to be alone. And you need to figure out your heart, Hyori-sshi. Otherwise you'll end up losing the both of us," he spoke in an empty voice, not looking at her.

Hyori looked down. He was right. This confession was tough, but it was the right thing to do. She loved and respected Zico too much to keep it away from him. She was beyond surprised and grateful that he still wished to spend the day for house-hunting, and she will m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter