for now

Confessions

summary: nayeon mistook the treatment she receives from mina as clues of romance but what if she wasn't wrong?


just a short one for now. please stream the "scientist" mv on youtube and vote on music shows and on mama2021 if you can :))



 

"i miss her"

 

"who?" sana asks

 

"nayeon"

 

"why? you're like inseparable best friends these days. to be honest, im even jealous of you two. you're spending less time with your first best friend.” sana's talking about herself. "and your other friends. the squad misses you."

 

"that's the exact reason why she doesn’t want to see me anymore: because i can only be a friend to her." mina lets out a loud exhale, remembering how nayeon had that defeated look on her face when she confessed to the younger girl how she likes her more than a friend should.

 

they were at nayeon's apartment that late afternoon...

“watch the sunset with me.” nayeon asks mina.

 

the color of the sky looks like orange flames and nayeon knew she had to say it now before the nonexistent flames reach her and make her loudly beating heart explode like a bomb inside her chest.

 

"i like you, mina." nayeon says with a hopeful smile, expecting that mina would say that she feels the same way. maybe she’s expecting too much, but how can she not when she gets all the right clues from the other girl.

 

or maybe they weren’t clues and were merely mina's way of treatment to her friends because nayeon’s vulnerable heart drops on the tiled floor of her balcony and shatters like a glass when she hears the latter's reply.

 

"im sorry nayeon, but i can't reciprocate what you have for me."

 

"but i thought you liked me too." nayeon sounded like she’s asking a question. she’s confused. "what did that hug meant when you said you missed me after we didn't see each other for a day and a half? and what did that kiss meant the other night?" nayeon tries to recall all the clues that turns out to be not clues at all.

 

"nayeon," mina calls her name apologetically. "it was a dare over spin the bottle. and the hug? that hug was genuine. i sincerely missed you but not the way someone in love with her friend would. "im sorry, nayeon. i didn't know you felt this way-"

 

"stop." the older girl cuts in. "stop talking if your words are only going to break my heart into smaller pieces." she looks at the other girl and forces a smile. "besides, it's my fault for falling for you so i should be the one to apologize." she couldn't contain her tears anymore so she just let them roll down her face. "im sorry, mina." saying her name almost choked her. she chuckles. "this is kinda embarrassing." she sniffs and wipes the tears off her face. "and if this makes you uncomfortable-"

 

"no, please." it's mina's turn now to cut her speech. "if this is your way of saying that we can't be friends anymore, i won't accept it. i don't wanna lose you. i don't wanna lose our friendship."

 

"i don't wanna lose it either. but i just don't think i can face you for a while or maybe for a long time. for now, i'm gonna have to heal." nayeon smiles, looking at her eyes. "thanks for everything mina. i won't be gone forever, i promise."

 

more tears fall down her face as she sees mina start to cry as well.

 

mina takes her hand. "nayeon..." she says apologetically again.

 

nayeon takes a step backwards. "bye mina. till then." it's her own apartment but she turns around and starts walking towards the door and leaves."

 

she doesn't know where she's going but she trusts her feet that they will lead her somewhere—anywhere that's far away from the person who could make her vulnerable and who could make her heart flutter and make it shatter at once.

 

once she's out of mina's sight, the latter breaks down. "im sorry i had to lie."


just felt like writing this cliché plot. part 1 for now 😉

twitter: @namyoim