prank

Confessions

just something lighthearted. i was going through my pile of drafts from last year and i found this. this was funny in my head so im sharing it here hehe


 

at age 17, nayeon tells her bestfriend mina that she thinks she's into girls and by "girls" she really meant mina. nayeon came out to her parents first then to mina. she tells the latter that her parents were cool about it. about a year later, mina tells nayeon that she thinks she has a girl crush, a real crush. it’s chaeyoung, the new student from abroad. mina asks ny to accompany her because she's planning to come out to her parents.

 

nayeon clears . “umm. mr. and mrs. myoui. mina has something to say to you.

 

“you're not pregnant aren't you?” mr. myoui asks.

 

mina waves her hands. “no, no, no. that's- that's not it.” she says nervously.

 

“what is it, hunnie?”

 

she looks at nayeon who gives her an encouraging look in return. she takes a deep breath and says, “i… just wanted to say that… uhm…” Her parents are looking at her intently and she can’t look at them. She starts panicking and her heart starts to beat faster. “nayeon’s gay” were the words she uttered and it surprised her as much as it surprised everyone sitting around the table.

 

mr. and mrs. myoui gasps. and it made nayeon cough. The latter glares at mina. “What are you doing? Just say it.” She mutters.

 

“oh, dear. you know, no matter who you are, we'll always love you like our own daughter. does your mom and dad know about this?” mrs. myoui says reassuringly.

 

“yes, they already know since like a year ago.” she glares at mina again and mutters “say it”.

 

when mina sees how her parents responded positively about nayeon’s uality, she goes on to say what she was really going to say.

 

“mom, dad, i've got something more to say to you.” she takes in a nervous deep breath once again.

 

her parents’ attention switches back to her.

 

“im like ny.” mina finally says.

 

“you what?” “you like ny?!” her parents simultaneously asks.

 

“no, no. i said im like her, as in i'm not straight. im biual.

 

is that all you want to say or do you have anything else? mr. myoui asks.

 

“that’s all i-” mina was interrupted by her mom’s question. “are you two dating?”

 

the sudden question made nayeon flustered. well, she has a crush on mina and although she never admitted it, mina’s parents kind of noticed something in the way the girl treats and looks at their daughter.

 

“that would be great, if that’s the case.” mr. myoui excitedly says.

 

“what?” mina can’t believe what she just heard.

 

mr. and mrs. myoui looks at nayeon who’s face has now turned red. she looks at her friend’s parents and she stutters, “uh, no. i- we’re not. we’re not dating.” she forces a smile but it’s only making her nervousness more visible—and probably her feelings too.

 

“no, dad. we’re not, sorry to disappoint you.” mina says sarcastically.

 

“why not?” mina’s dad asks. this questions made nayeon gain confidence. the parents of the person she likes obviously likes her for their daughter, so why waste this opportunity to confess, right? so she repeats mr. myoui’s question.

 

“yeah, why not?”

 

“what do you mean ‘why not’?” mina asks.

 

mina’s mom starts laughing, amused at the flustered look on her daughter’s face. this turn of events wasn’t expected at all.

 

“your dad and i have been noticing that nayeon’s into you.”

 

“yes” mr. myoui laughs.

 

mina turns to nayeon. “aren’t you going to defend yourself?”

 

“no. ‘cause it’s true. i like you, mina.” nayeon smiles, kind of nervous but kind of confident, too.

 

“there you go.” mrs. myoui says, then turns to her husband, smiling.

 

“we should have dinner with your parents tomorrow and maybe we can plan the wedding already?”

 

mina glares at him. “dad?!”

 

“i’m just kidding, dear.”

 

“sorry to break it up to you, uncle, but she likes someone else.”

 

“you do?” mr. myoui asks, turning to his daughter, and then mrs. myoui follows up with, “who is it?”

 

“the transferee from the US.” nayeon responds.

 

“can we not talk about this?”

 

mrs. myoui ignores her. “oh, dear. you shouldn’t let this pass by. you might regret it later.”

 

“what do you mean?”

 

“childhood friendships that turn into romance have a very big potential to last forever”

 

“every relationship has the potential to last forever, mom.”

 

“but childhood bestfriends turning into lovers is special, mina.”

 

“couldn’t agree more.” mr. myoui says.

 

“so, dear, will you be nayeon’s girlfriend?” mrs. myoui asks.

 

“oh my goodness.” mina rolls her eyes.

 

nayeon’s smile is beaming. “say ‘yes’, mina.”

 

mina shakes her head and starts laughing at how silly this is. her own parents are pushing her to be with nayeon and nayeon’s asking her to say ‘yes’ this has got to be some kind of a prank.

 

“y’all, i’m so sorry but you guys are caught. this is a prank, isn’t it? come on, you can stop it now. i figured it out.” mina looks around. “did you even set up a camera? where is it?”

 

“no, mina. this isn’t a prank.” nayeon tells her. “look, im relieved that you’re finally out to your parents and that me having feelings for you is also out.” she turns to mr. and mrs. myoui. “and thank you for being supportive and for helping me out with your daughter, but it’s pretty obvious now that she won’t say ‘yes’ so...” nayeon shrugs.

 

“what the , nayeon. Chill. i like you too.” her voice faltered at the last four words

 

“hey, watch your words, you’re in front of your parents.” nayeon scolds and then she realizes what mina just said. “wait, what? you… you-”

 

“i do!”

 

“you do” nayeon’s flustered. her face has turned red again.

 

“yes. now don’t make me repeat that again.”